• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

pgtl_10

I'm going to begin reading the next book in the Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia series. I believe it is the first book in the Demonwar arc.

Anybody reads his books?

pgtl_10 said:
I'm going to begin reading the next book in the Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia series. I believe it is the first book in the Demonwar arc.

Anybody reads his books?
Good books. The riftwar saga and the serpentwar saga are great, the rest are meh imo.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Tor has a good blog for fantasy/sf coverage that covers all the new releases each month in those genres.

sikkinixx

616678.jpg

An oldie I read many years ago. My gf was looking for something to read and I said she should give it a shot. Now I have been re-reading a bunch of it. Some of it feels really forced now that I'm a bit older reading it, but I still really like the characters Eddings created.

19400.jpg

Someday I'll finish it...

Dresden

7VB8K.jpg

Punched through 180 or so pages tonight - what a beautiful book. I might just go ahead and reread the rest of the trilogy this week.
eznark said:
Where do you guys go for book reviews, latest release lists, etc.?
TBH for fantasy stuff I just hit up the asoiaf literature forums. For everything else it's just pure word of mouth from peeps I know.

Shepard

The Hobbit, preparing myself for the movie XD
351hkhw.gif

Was expecting something like the Lord of the Rings, though it's nice how lighthearted this is.

Forsete

Gold Member
Lincoln chillin' under a tree.

5998473613_ef3824936a_z_d.jpg

Abraham Lincoln - Hans liv och tid (His life and time)

Got it today, looking forward to start reading. :)

bengraven

Forsete said:
Lincoln chillin' under a tree.

5998473613_ef3824936a_z_d.jpg

Abraham Lincoln - Hans liv och tid (His life and time)

Got it today, looking forward to start reading. :)

Wow, that's interesting to see a biography of an American president but in a foreign edition.

thomaser

Gorilla Shark said:
For those who have read Infinite Jest... thoughts? I was thinking about picking it up.

Amazing but tiring. A must-read, but you won't like all of it. Most parts are very well written, surprising, fascinating, moving... but a few parts are intentionally dull. Wallace was weird like that - he liked putting in boring parts here and there.

Nix

Banned
Found this in my Mother's library when I went to visit.
413gh18mXpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Gotta say, it's pretty intersting so far, and surprisingly, gives a nondescript version of a foreign spy, that you wouldn't have expected; I guess that's why he's a spy. It really does give a sense of realism in that aspect. I recommend it for those who want a good, but short book.

Faerith

Neo Member
Just finished this.
514BVAFBJXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Always good for a quick refresher on dog-behaviour.

Upcoming book to read:
51T7N20CB6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hope it has an interesting story AND good writing (later seems to be something many scifi authors shun *looks at Leibowitz and Footfall*)...

pgtl_10 said:

Anybody reads his books?
As elrechazao said: The Riftwar Saga and Serpentwar Books are nice reads; Krondors sons and Faerytale is good too, but try to stay away from The Riftwar Legacy (Krondor: books). The Enpire Saga is rather average and boring. Can't comment on the newer stuff since the Krondor: books scared me away.

Kuraudo

Banned
Gorilla Shark said:
For those who have read Infinite Jest... thoughts? I was thinking about picking it up.

It can be a bit of a slog, but it's also really rewarding. Spent two incredible months with it, sometimes resenting it for eating up all my reading time. Some sections will really numb you, but the sections that don't are either incredibly funny or absolutely heartbreaking (or both). Definitely one of the most incredible literary experiences I've had.

Donos said:
GAF recommended me the Dan Simmons Hyperion Trilogy so i started Book 1 (in german). I'm half through (at the end of the Sol Weintraub arc) and it's really good so far . Thumbs up GAF.

bnVou.jpg
Be prepared for striking tone and plot changes throughout the series. It's initially offputting for some, I find it fucking brilliant. I love that its only the first book that is basically sci-fi Canterbury Tales.

Wiktor

48394087.JPG

Wow..I've read it in one sitting. Once I've started I just couldn't put it down. It has some pretty obvious Dexter vibes (the main hero is a sociopath), but the addition of supernatural element as well as the fact that hero is just a teenager has kept it different enough. Plus it was so much better than any Dexter book I've read. I can't believe this was a debout novel. Hats off.

AdrianWerner said:
48394087.JPG

Wow..I've read it in one sitting. Once I've started I just couldn't put it down. It has some pretty obvious Dexter vibes (the main hero is a sociopath), but the addition of supernatural element as well as the fact that hero is just a teenager has kept it different enough. Plus it was so much better than any Dexter book I've read. I can't believe this was a debout novel. Hats off.

Check out the sequels, they're just as good.

Wiktor

LocoMrPollock said:
Check out the sequels, they're just as good.
Yeah, about that.... I just read
mr-monster_dan-wells-99902004782_3492271855_300.jpg
i_dont_want_to_kill_you.jpg

Yeah, I've ripped through both TODAY :D

Anyway, Mr. Monster I felt wasn't as good. The villain wasn't humanized enough and the hero spent too much time doing nothing. I still liked it like hell though, it was just not as good as the first one. But I don't want to kill you was just incredible, best one so far. And that ending...I hate that author now, he's such a glorious bastard :D I hope this won't be the end of the series. I know he's not going to continue it right now, but he's saying he might in the future. I pray he does.

Wiktor

I've started reading Mistborn. I've become a huge fan of Writing Excuses podcast lately, so I'm digging through the works of authors who record it. I've already burned through Dan Wells novels (look above), so now it was time for Brandon Sanderson and Mistborn seemed like the best place to get into his works.

mistborn.jpg

About 30% through and I'm liking it a lot. The book is filled with awesome ideas. The magic system based on ingesting metals is such a crazy idea and the way it works is fascinating. The premise of the novel is also just plain cool: the hero defeated the evil and he became the tyrant. Now a band of thieves will try to overthrow him.

Plus damn...Sanderson can write. The pacing is very fast, the writing is clean and the action scenes always get be pumped. Looking forward to finishing the first book and getting to the rest of the trilogy.

On the side note, this thread needs more love...almost two weeks without any new posts? This needs to be fixed :)

Top Bottom