• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

Cringe Humor said:
Thanks. I've really got to check him out.
Go in this order:

Breakfast of Champions
Sirens of Titan
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse-Five
Timequake

Timequake should be reserved for last as it is very much a culmination of all the themes and ideas Vonnegut explores in his pantheon of work. Also, watch 2081 on Youtube, a short film based on his short story, "Harrison Bergeron". It is a stunning feat in the realm of short film.

ZephyrFate said:
watch 2081 on Youtube, a short film based on his short story, "Harrison Bergeron". It is a stunning feat in the realm of short film.

Hell, I read that short story YEARS ago, and I've only just remembered it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alright guys and gals, I dont browse this thread too much, but, I just ordered a kindle 3 last night and I'm looking around for some great book recommendations. I like everything from military stuff like tom clancy, to mystery(science fiction stuff like LOST is awesome as well).

I'm specifically looking for a few different recommendations:

1) Books that are similar to Mass Effect (I know there are Mass Effect books, but I'm looking for stuff like it that isn't based on any series like star trek/star wars/battlestar etc). I'm looking for something more close to space exploration/mystery/distant world type of stuff.

2) Looking for something that has a good time travel plotline, similar to Chrono Trigger if possible that has elements of spanning several time periods if possible.

3) Sea exploration/pirate/treasure hunt style books. Maybe similar to Master and Commander style.

4) Blade Runner/Snatcher kind of stuff.

I know they may be pretty damn specific, but if you guys and gals can give me any recommendations, that would be awesome! Thanks.

jyoung188

Watched the movies now I'm reading the books. Only up to the second book haha, loving what little I've read though.
DYi19.jpg

Rereading In the Shadow of Man.

Its one of my favorite auto biographies and a fantastic Zoological novel. Its also one of the main reasons I ended up majoring in Field Biology.

0618056769.gif

Just finished Clash of Kings. Liked it a lot more than the first for reasons I wont get into for the sake of spoilers.

clash_of_kings.jpg

----

Lionheart1827 said:
Alright guys and gals, I dont browse this thread too much, but, I just ordered a kindle 3 last night and I'm looking around for some great book recommendations. I like everything from military stuff like tom clancy, to mystery(science fiction stuff like LOST is awesome as well).

1) Books that are similar to Mass Effect (I know there are Mass Effect books, but I'm looking for stuff like it that isn't based on any series like star trek/star wars/battlestar etc). I'm looking for something more close to space exploration/mystery/distant world type of stuff.

2) Looking for something that has a good time travel plotline, similar to Chrono Trigger if possible that has elements of spanning several time periods if possible.

3) Sea exploration/pirate/treasure hunt style books. Maybe similar to Master and Commander style.

I know they may be pretty damn specific, but if you guys and gals can give me any recommendations, that would be awesome! Thanks.

Have you read Sphere by Michael Chricton? It deals with time travel and sci-fi and its legitimately mind boggling. Easily his best work, I loved it.

Also by him is Pirate Latitudes. Its solid enough but you can tell he didnt really get a chance to go back brush it up before he died. Still good though and it fills your pirate request. Its very "historical" and maybe a bit shallow but its easy to read and fun.

Lionheart1827 said:

I think you'd like Ship of Fools. Hyperion might fight this recommendation too.

I'd like to hear some recommendations on this as well.

I just started reading The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm also reading at the same time : A Dance With Dragons and The Forever War (almost finished it).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lionheart1827 said:

Critchton's "Timeline" was a fun time travel book about some scholars who travel back to the dark ages in France. Movie was terrible, but the book is fun, and a pretty quick read.

I'd also back the above recommendation for "Sphere" but the time travel is not really part of the story itself.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
YakuzaMoon.jpg

Finished Yakuza Moon recently. Great book, though it's rather depressing. Easy to read and gives a lot of perspective.

5107Y0FCJ0L._SS500_.jpg

Just started this, def recommended. The narrative switches back and forth between the human world and any colony. i can't ever really look at ants the same way again. I think Gaf would dig it.

Lionheart1827 said:

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Has space exploration, a noir-like mystery, but not too distant world. More like everything is within our solar system. I liked it a lot and I've heard of it described as a pre-FTL Mass Effect.

SOME-MIST

51MEh8Lm2hL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

very awesome so far. just getting into part 3 (roughly 170 pages in) and haven't lost interest.

I was a big fan of Albert Camus's "The Stranger" and a co-worker recommended me some of his other work. The jist of the plot is that a plague hits this town, everything starts getting weird for better AND for worse, and you have to figure out who is narrating the story.
There's roughly 26 characters in the story, and some of them are dying off through out the different parts.

Jsunu

Banned
Nothing_to_Envy.jpg

Picked up the book after hearing about it in the Neogaf NK thread.

Really interesting perspective inside NK and how 1984ish it really is.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Maklershed said:
I think you'd like Ship of Fools. Hyperion might fight this recommendation too.

I'd like to hear some recommendations on this as well.

On the kindle store there are a bunch of different books called Ship of Fools. One by Finton o toole, Richard Russo, Sebatian brant, and Alexander Barclay. Which one were you recommending?

Dresden

Lionheart1827 said:

On the kindle store there are a bunch of different books called Ship of Fools. One by Finton o toole, Richard Russo, Sebatian brant, and Alexander Barclay. Which one were you recommending?
Probably the Richard Russo version.

Starting

algebrista2.jpg

A Novel recreated in the Spain of the XIV century about an algebrist raised in a catholic monastery. Trying to know his strange past. He was left in the monastery by some noble women and years later when he was still a child one ancient and rich jew visit him. This man left a ring for him and probably the ring can tell him something about his past.

Lionheart1827 said:

This screams hyperion to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cyan said:
Next month's Book Club selection:

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

Kindle

Amazon Paperback

And of course, since it's public domain: Free Gutenberg Project edition

A note on translations: this book is in the public domain, and it has a translation from 1846 which is also public domain. Many of the versions you'd find in the bookstore (and, of course, the Gutenberg Project one) are based on this old translation. Some are abridged. The recommended version for the GAF Book Club is the more recent Robin Buss translation, which is the version in the Amazon links above. It updates the language and removes the bowdlerization of the 1846 version. You are free to read the old version, of course, but watch out for abridgments!

Out of curiosity do you know which version the free one on Kindle marketplace it?

this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RKSV9S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lionheart1827 said:

Russo
Dresden said:
Probably the Richard Russo version.
^ And here's the guy that recommended the book to me in the first place. :)

luiztfc

Sleepy

Finally reading:

A_Dance_With_Dragons_US.jpg

Around 100 pages in. Tyrion chapters are kinda boring.
How many times is he going to remember thrummed?

Got it uber-uber-uber-cheap from the Borders liquidation!

charlemagne said:
Yep, the one with the lobsters. I was thinking of reading Singularity Sky at some point.

Accelerando was more cyberpunk; Singularity Sky is more of a space opera. Still both are worth the read.

Sleepy

luiztfc said:
I just ordered Game of Thrones #4 and 5 and soon I'll have nothing left to read. As a youngster, I read (and enjoyed Lord of the Rings), but alas I can't find my books. Could you recommend me some badass/collectors hardcover editions of the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and Silmarilion?

What about this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618391118/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618968636/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618260587/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks.

70th Hobbit is crappy paper, apparently. The complete LotR is filled with typos and has questionable binding.

thomaser

Frankenstrat said:
WeTheDrowned.jpg

so far, a damned good seafaring novel.

I really, really recommend Carsten Jensen's travel books: "I have seen the world begin: Travels through China, Cambodia and Vietnam" and the follow-up "I have heard a shooting star" (I don't think this has been translated to English yet). Beautiful, thought-provoking stuff.

mike23

Adam Blade said:
gsCoverSm.jpg

:eek: :eek: :O :O~~~~

Me too. Finished it this morning. It was a very good book. Not sure how I really feel about it yet. Every time I think about it, it seems better. I feel more excited about the next book than I feel about this one though, to be honest.

wrowa

Finished Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. The vision of the future portrayed by him is more interesting than the book is fun to read. Nearly everything seems plausible, in a rather disconcerting way. The plot itself is okay but nothing to write home about.

(It also broke the 4th wall for me in a certain way; I'm not sure whether or not that was intended by the author, though)

50788397pfkw.jpg

Moved on to Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. I'm currently half-way through and still unsure what to think of it. Her prosa is really simple; and in the beginning I was pleased by that. It's relaxing to read a book that's as demanding as piece of bread for a change. On some parts, though, I think it became hard to actually follow what is happening since her descriptions are rather lacking. I never really figured out how that air pump station was supposed to look like for example. Story-wise, the beginning is interesting but it kinda losing its steam right now... Let's see.

Boneshaker_Cover_Front.jpg

Dutch Patriot said:

Lewis deserves every single bit of praise this book gets. Did I read somewhere that the film rights were sold? It'd make a great movie - contrarians spitting into the wind and ultimately being proved right to the tune of hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars.

omgkitty

soccernomics-200x300.jpg

Really good book. If anyone enjoys football, I would suggest they pick this up. It's very insightful, and takes understanding of football to a whole other level. Kind of wish I had picked up the British version however. I kind of feel like they are some things changed in this book to help hold the hands of idiot Americans who don't understand the sport.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'll be done with Paul Auster's New York Trilogy this week. The first two books in it were fantastic. Really gripping stuff that keeps you guessing. They're like post-modern detective novels with a main theme of identity. Auster is incredibly talented, and I'll have to pick up more of his stuff soon.

51ASoORYiwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I'm on to The Temptation of St Anthony. I loved Salammbo (despite reading a horrible translation), so I'm really looking forward to another romantic Flaubert work.

BMImg_76451_BDOLImageTemp.jpg

ymmv

Banned
Cyan said:
Hmm. Ever read The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers? Fun stuff.

Oh hey, sort of like On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers? :p

Seriously, try Anubis Gates, it's awesome.

The Anubis Gates and On Stranger Tides are my favorite Tim Powers novels. Absolutely recommended.

mike23 said:
Me too. Finished it this morning. It was a very good book. Not sure how I really feel about it yet. Every time I think about it, it seems better. I feel more excited about the next book than I feel about this one though, to be honest.

I think the book is good as well. However, it felt more like an interlude between 2 Dresden arcs than a progression of an arc.

At least
he's alive again.

I'm still holding out hope for
Molly x Dresden. Karrin can sod off. :3

Can't wait for the next book.

mike23

Adam Blade said:
I think the book is good as well. However, it felt more like an interlude between 2 Dresden arcs than a progression of an arc.

At least
he's alive again.

I'm still holding out hope for
Molly x Dresden. Karrin can sod off. :3

Can't wait for the next book.

That's basically the same way I feel. The next book should be amazing.

Major spoilers:
I'm glad to see the Demonreach reveal. I'm also always very excited to see angels making an appearance. They're one of my favorite mythologies. I partially called the ending right after I read Changes too. I told my dad that there was no way Mab would let Dresden die

I agree with the Molly x Dresden sentiment. Murphy is cool, but she's too human

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Has anyone here read this?

StPnC.jpg

Any thoughts? Same author who wrote Devil in the White City which I finished recently and absolutely loved.

omgkitty said:
soccernomics-200x300.jpg

Really good book. If anyone enjoys football, I would suggest they pick this up. It's very insightful, and takes understanding of football to a whole other level. Kind of wish I had picked up the British version however. I kind of feel like they are some things changed in this book to help hold the hands of idiot Americans who don't understand the sport.
British people and australians are idiots because they don't understand the nfl. herp derp

Karak

I have been reading some great stuff on my Kindle

I finished
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AHNA6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Starships, Wizards, Demons, some humor, check, check, check, and CHECK! Great read.

Also checked out his other 2

An alien attack on earth type of book with a huge amount of twist to it. Not exactly what I thought, but turned out far better than I expected.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043M4S6S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vengar series.

Didn't know what to expect of this one. But I got it and have to admit I was late to the train on what turned out to be a fantastic setting for a fantasy adventure. Short but damn good
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RISNRE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have also been rereading David Gemmel and I am beginning to think he is in the top 3 of my favorite authors of all time.

KidDork

The Anubis Gates is a great book. Let me add to the chorus.

The Soccernomics book looks very interesting to me. My enjoyment of football is pretty limited to the World and Euro Cup, but I have been looking around for books about it. Would this book be okay for an occasional fan, or is this something aimed more at the hardcore?

Leunam

I picked up Aztec by Gary Jennings today. Going to dig into that one as soon as I finish what I'm reading now (Double Eagle - Dan Abnett).

Top Bottom