• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

Tigel

Narag said:
The most difficult thing might be keeping track of characters but there's an appendix you can refer to. The writing style isn't hard to read though.
Alright. I guess I'll give this series a try as soon as I am done with The Dark Tower.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
2qak9p3.jpg

KidDork

Finished this this morning:

fables.jpg

I've never read any Fables before because I was somehow under the impression the series was a bit twee. Animal Farm made me realize how wrong I was. I remember reading Willingham's old Elementals comic series back in the Eighties, which was pretty edgy for its time. Damn it! I should have been reading this years ago.

Still chugging through Stephen King's Under The Dome. Still enjoying it, but there was a bit of padding in there an editor should have chopped out. Even with the small busload of characters, I think this book going over a 1,000 pages is a bit much.

WedgeX

Banned
Finished up The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Christie. The ending got me! Even though I am all but certain I've seen the Masterpiece version.

Was visiting friends, and they urged me to read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. And so lent the book to me while I traveled back across the country.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQvTHb3NYAgoZnmNf66vc5vXhcNG8IhhF1XIgYtoESOcOWpOzK2gg.jpg

It was beautiful and touching. Odd, considering the subject. But I can't quite find the words to appropriately describe it other than that.

Picked up Dark Days Ahead, Systems of Survival and the Nature of Economies by Jane Jacobs, my favorite urban planner/sociologist. Also picked up The Protestant Work Ethic and the Nature of Capitalism by Max Weber. And finally grabbed Howl by Alan Ginsberg at City Light Books. My favorite part of the Bay Area is abundance of good books, especially those of a sociological nature, available and in print, even. No idea what of those will find its way into my hands next.

Coldsnap

I need some book suggestions gonna try my best to explain for what I'm looking for; a book about being alone yet hansom, sorta something like Morrissey lyrics in book form. This sounds like the most pretentious request but I need something I can relate to right now. Only book that comes to mind is Catcher and The Rye. Fitzgerald comes close to this too in some of his books.

_Isaac

Coldsnap said:
I need some book suggestions gonna try my best to explain for what I'm looking for; a book about being alone yet hansom, sorta something like Morrissey lyrics in book form. This sounds like the most pretentious request but I need something I can relate to right now. Only book that comes to mind is Catcher and The Rye. Fitzgerald comes close to this too in some of his books.

Alone and handsome you mean? Maybe The Stranger by Albert Camus. I'm not quite sure if it's about being handsome, but I think the book gave off a bit of a lonely vibe.

Ixquerlat

Neo Member
I do really love Isaac Asimov's tales.

ctos-completos-1.jpg

Isaac Asimov: Complete Stories I

Yo,+robot.jpg

Isaac Asimov: I, robot. (It does not have any connection with the movie, just a few names...)

fundacion1.jpg

Isaac Asimov: Foundation

I already finished the last two books and in the next two days I'll finish the first one.

thomaser

Finished Toni Morrison's "Jazz" last night. Beautiful, wise book.

pushwagner.jpg

About to start "Soft City" by Pushwagner. A graphic novel almost without words, so it should only take an hour or two.

Pushwagner is a Norwegian artist. 71 years old, very eccentric. He spent large parts of his life as a homeless drug addict, but his art suddenly became incredibly popular again in the early 2000s, and he has become a rich celebrity. A real from rags to riches story. "Soft City" is his only "book". The manuscript was lost in the 60s, but was found again in 2002 in an old trunk in an attic, and was released for the first time in 2008. I love his drawings. Super-detailed, but in a childish style.

Here's a spread from the book:

755x540.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
WedgeX said:
Finished up The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Christie. The ending got me! Even though I am all but certain I've seen the Masterpiece version.

Is that the one
where the narrator is the killer?

Currently reading

t82Am.jpg

currently halfway through this

51GwMwHsaeL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Enjoying the story but I'm not keen on the style of writing.

Don't know why I've not gotten into the SW books before, but now I have a mission to obtain and read them all...

thomaser

That was a quick read. Finished Soft City while eating lunch. It's basically one day in the life of a couple living in Soft City, a 1984-esque dystopia where individuality is conquered once and for all. Wake up, eat a Soft Pill, drive in a nightmarish congestion to work at Soft Inc., shop Soft Meat at Soft Supermarket, then watch Soft TV, eat another Soft Pill and go to bed. Strange and mesmerizing.

Pynchon-Against-the-Day_2.jpg

Next up: Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I've had this gigantic book in my bookshelf since the day before the Wii was released. Time to read it now. Has anyone here done it? Will probably take me two months or so... it's quite daunting.

Ixquerlat

Neo Member
survivor said:
Oh wow, it's called Yo, Robot. Is this the Spanish version?

Yeap, is the spanish version, I'm from Colombia. But i want to buy the english version, I don't trust the person who translated those books.

Fjordson

The Take Out Bandit said:
Still reading:

51PZmHrmfuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Available on Kindle.
I need to read some Howard. And Solomon Kane always seemed like his most interesting character (never been a big fan of Conan). How is it?

peakish

I finished A Journey to the Center of the Earth, it was still a good adventure. Very fast paced. It was my dad's copy, now I'm wondering why old books smell so good?

FoeHammer

I'm finally reading A Game of Thrones after being floored by the television series on HBO.

Even though I've seen pretty much all of the first book, I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to get to the rest of them.

I'm trying not to get too attached to any characters because I have the feeling this is going to be a heartbreaker of a series.

Reading: The Stand (Stephen King. I love the premise, but the story needs to start picking up already.)

Re-reading: Fight Club (One of my all-time favorites. Minimalism is the most powerful form of writing).

EliCash

I'm reading and enjoying Dune.

I need some Sci-fi recommendations gaf, I'm not a huge Sci-fi guy but I've read and loved the following:

Foundation series (loved is putting it lightly)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Behold the Man
I Am Legend
The Illustrated Man

Any recommendations in line with those would be good. I'm going to read most of Asimov's and Philip K Dick's stuff, so they don't need to be recommended.

Cringe Humor said:
Reading: The Stand (Stephen King. I love the premise, but the story needs to start picking up already.)

Re-reading: Fight Club (One of my all-time favorites. Minimalism is the most powerful form of writing).

I loved The Stand but it takes forever to get going.

gabbo

FiendAngel said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FHAmfv-7L._SS500_.jpg[IMG]

Completed only the first chapter. I am liking it so far. It's concept is intriguing and the characters are compelling. I am going to finish it in a few days.

[url]http://www.roomthebook.com/inside/[/url][/QUOTE]
I finished this last month, and I'm still unsure how I feel about the book as a whole.
Somethings I really enjoyed, the concept and it's eventual resolution, but some of the characters just... I don't know... didn't sit right with me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human by Grant Morrison should be sitting at my door, so I plan to begin that tonight.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
EliCash said:
I'm reading and enjoying Dune.

I need some Sci-fi recommendations gaf, I'm not a huge Sci-fi guy but I've read and loved the following:

Foundation series (loved is putting it lightly)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Behold the Man
I Am Legend
The Illustrated Man

Any recommendations in line with those would be good. I'm going to read most of Asimov's and Philip K Dick's stuff, so they don't need to be recommended.
As long as you're hitting the classics, read Neuromancer. Probably my favorite book of all time.

SolKane

alex chilton said:
Daamn, there is a lot of George RR Martin up in here. Damn my library for not having sufficient copies of ASoFI to loan!

Anways read this
Q3o3B.jpg

and loved it, unfortunately this is the sole Portis book at my library and my appetite for more Portis needed to be sated.

Portis is a great author, one of the best Americans currently living. Unfortunately his output is lacking in quantity (only 5 books) but everything is great. I actually found Gringos to be his weakest work, with Dog of the South unequivocally his best. Try to hunt down a copy if you can.

Edit: Before he was a novelist he was a long-time newspaper man. I have a lot of respect for that profession, particularly the old died-in-the-wool breed which we are seeing disappear along with the printed page. There's a great interview with him here if you want to read it:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~wvest/portis/genArk.pdf

Sleepy

thomaser said:
Next up: Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I've had this gigantic book in my bookshelf since the day before the Wii was released. Time to read it now. Has anyone here done it? Will probably take me two months or so... it's quite daunting.

I scaled that glorious beast! It's kind of cobbled together from various unfinished works (or at least that what some critics have said and I agree with them), but it didn't really hurt it in my opinion. Just strap yourself in, enjoy the Pynchonian wackiness and rambling plot, and you should be fine. Chums of Chance, HO!

thomaser

Help Me! said:
I scaled that glorious beast! It's kind of cobbled together from various unfinished works (or at least that what some critics have said and I agree with them), but it didn't really hurt it in my opinion. Just strap yourself in, enjoy the Pynchonian wackiness and rambling plot, and you should be fine. Chums of Chance, HO!

I'm 50 pages in, and it's going spiffingly so far! It seems to have a lighter tone than his other books, and those are full of puns and wackiness as it is. I love how Pynchon never restricts himself - anything can happen at any time, no matter how farfetched it is. Talking dogs, time travel, spontaneous sing-alongs,
invisible mechanical super-hens
? But of course.

Gilgamesh

51hP35WUycL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-39,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Read this novella one night last week. Nice little story.

51nTMA60fiL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started this after having finished the first a a few weeks ago. When I first encountered the series I passed it off as a Battle Royale ripoff, but after giving it a shot, I fell in love. By focusing more on heart and less on gore, I feel that Collins has crafted a work that well exceeds its inspiration. Has there ever been a statement by Collins herself on the similarity between Battle Royale and the Hunger Games?

51wcO8Ns2EL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-54,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My on-the-side fluff reading, though, admittedly, this is more my speed of fantasy than the so deeply involved Song of Fire and Ice series.

Sleepy

thomaser said:
I'm 50 pages in, and it's going spiffingly so far! It seems to have a lighter tone than his other books, and those are full of puns and wackiness as it is. I love how Pynchon never restricts himself - anything can happen at any time, no matter how farfetched it is. Talking dogs, time travel, spontaneous sing-alongs,
invisible mechanical super-hens
? But of course.

Yup, that's the "just go with it" factor. It all starts to make sense eventually. :)

Have you read Mason & Dixon? Not to add another 800 page Pynchon book to your list, but that one is... I don't think I can put it into words.

Enjoy your first read of AtD!

Gilgamesh said:
51wcO8Ns2EL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-54,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My on-the-side fluff reading, though, admittedly, this is more my speed of fantasy than the so deeply involved Song of Fire and Ice series.

I just finished that, as well. I last read it in HS...it hasn't aged well. Some of Salvatore's stylistic tics are awful.

thomaser

Help Me! said:
Yup, that's the "just go with it" factor. It all starts to make sense eventually. :)

Have you read Mason & Dixon? Not to add another 800 page Pynchon book to your list, but that one is... I don't think I can put it into words.

Enjoy your first read of AtD!

Thanks! I've read all of them except AtD and Inherent Vice. Mason & Dixon was the last one, early last year, and probably my favourite. It's just brilliant - several parts left me in awe. These books need to be read again later, though... V and Gravity's Rainbow flew right over my head the first time.

Sleepy

thomaser said:
Thanks! I've read all of them except AtD and Inherent Vice. Mason & Dixon was the last one, early last year, and probably my favourite. It's just brilliant - several parts left me in awe. These books need to be read again later, though... V and Gravity's Rainbow flew right over my head the first time.

Awe; perfect word.

I have read GR fully three times and certain parts of it 6-8 times...I'm just now beginning to get a handle on it. IV is very good, as well. Really, really breezy, if you know what I mean.

Pynchon's my favorite author by a country mile, obviously.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finally reading through the Spice and Wolf novels that have been sitting on on the shelf for a while. Good stuff, just as good as the anime which I loved. Novels flesh out a bit more dialogue between the two characters, which was by far the highlight of the anime.

51u6xxk6IIL._SS500_.jpg

Basic story outline for the curious.

It is set in a pre-industrial era, in European like atmosphere. Lawrence is a traveling merchant who, after obtaining a cart of wheat from a small village, finds a naked girl in the back with the ears and tail of a wolf. She introduces herself as Holo, the harvest deity of the the village. She has grown tired of her duties and wishes to return to her homeland in the North. Lawrence reluctantly agrees, and find Holo to be a very shrewd business partner. The two begin their journey, traveling from town to town earning profit and learning about each other.

Unlike the standard animu fare that some may fear, this show avoids the usual trappings. It's not laden with fanservice, even when Holo first appears naked, Lawrence doesn't break down into the usual blob you'd expect from an anime guy. The series is usually a two person play, with the dialogue between Holo and Lawrence driving the story. The smart dialogue takes what would otherwise be something very generic and does something special. The action is minimal, and the plots really do revolve around economics and trade. Somehow it makes everything work.

Kraftwerk

elrechazao said:
Just read Endymion, and halfway through Rise of Endymion. So good, can't believe I missed this series for so many years.

Love the series. I finished all 4 very recently. So good indeed.

Just last night I purchased Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (fantastic novel, but my original copy was so incredibly beat up I needed another) and a collection of Vonnegut stories. Probably gonna start with Vonnegut since I've already read Perfume numerous times, but I'm not sure which story I should read first. Maybe I'll just go in order.

All fled, all done, so lift me on the pyre;
The feast is over and the lamps expire.

Man, Robert E. Howard's life and death can be super depressing. In just 30 years he managed to create some of the most enduring characters of our time.

Trying to decide what to read next.

Might move on to Blood Oath. Not a fan of goth wank fiction, but am a total mark for action horror stuff. :3

Karakand

Hope y'all're preparing for Borders' liquidation.

I was casing mine earlier tonight and found Houghton Mifflin's 50th anniversary hardbound of The Tin Drum for 5 whole U.S. dollars. Sign of things to come?

I just finished Child 44, it was such a good book. I didn't even mind the plot twist. I especially liked how the story kept the main characters feet to the fire and never let up.

9780446402385_388X586.jpg

Started this one. Never saw the series and so far it's a good read. Some interesting discussions on time travel theory

0010a5da_medium.jpeg

MotorbreathX said:
I loved The Stand but it takes forever to get going.

I hate the fact that I'm becoming a literary snob, but I simply couldn't keep going with The Stand. The writing style of popular fiction authors makes me fucking cringe. And a post-apocalyptic novel is supposed to be dark and gritty, and for whatever reason, King's writing was not delivering that.

So, currently reading: Blood Meridian

Cormac McCarthy is an author's author. His style is absurdly good. I love strong, minimalist writing.

Top Bottom