• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

Its the big day! Time to start A Dance With Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

esnel pla from April 2011 thread said:
Also, I've noticed a lot of readers of Cormac McCarthy on these boards, and I have to suggest William Gay, especially if you enjoy his earlier Appalachian work. Especially Twlight, his last novel. It made me shout obscenities at it. In a good way. It's also less than 5 bucks for the Kindle edition. Again, if that's your kinda thing.

I just finished The Long Home from William Gay and I can't thank you enough for the recommendation. I loved his style. It indeed has a Cormac McCarthy flavor to it. I'm definitely going to seek out more of his books.

Llyranor

This just came in today! Apparently the best single reference for Napoleonics in English. I'll track down some French references at some point as well.

41xOoUVEIoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

1172 pages, ouch!

EDIT: I guess I should start A Feast for Crows eventually -__-

Duress

Long-Walk-to-Freedom-Mandela-Nelson-9780316548182.jpg

About half way through with it. I don't really know much about African history, so it's new territory for me. It's interesting to compare the Black civil rights movements of the US and Africa. I'm enjoying it.

Cyan said:
:/ I guess it's good that she's going to at least get some money out of the whole thing, but... man. It kinda bothers me that people would actually read this.

Because I'm using her tragedy for my entertainment? I've also read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, Night, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed, and many more. I want to say that I read nonfiction for knowledge, but that sounds like total bullshit. Its probably more like 50% intrigue and 50% enlightenment, or maybe 75/25.

Almyn

I finished up The Player Of Games and moved onto

XMjKX.jpg

But 50 pages in and I just didn't get it, I started dozing off while reading it in work yesterday. I'm moving onto another Ian M Banks book so will have to give it another go after I finish.
Anyone here a fan of Peter F Hamilton?

I am looking forward to starting this later today.
I already know there is a major plot twist at the end of the book :(

8Tp6t.jpg

kanugo

This came in the mail today:
dsc04200ma.jpg

But I just started A Game of Thrones, so it'll be awhile until I get there. So far I'm loving the first book.

Burger

Almyn said:
But 50 pages in and I just didn't get it, I started dozing off while reading it in work yesterday. I'm moving onto another Ian M Banks book so will have to give it another go after I finish.

Big fan. The Nights Dawn trilogy is an epic read though, you are in for over 3,500 pages of gripping space opera. Hard to judge such a piece of work in the first 50 pages, or expect the overall plot to be revealed in any shape or form. The intro is rather strange from memory, but it makes sense later on. Trust me :)

Almyn

Burger said:
Big fan. The Nights Dawn trilogy is an epic read though, you are in for over 3,500 pages of gripping space opera. Hard to judge such a piece of work in the first 50 pages, or expect the overall plot to be revealed in any shape or form. The intro is rather strange from memory, but it makes sense later on. Trust me :)

I'm definitely going back to it. The opening is quite difficult to follow, Which is what put me off a bit. Player of games was my first Iain M Banks book and coming straight off it into Reality Dysfunction was a bit jarring as the writing style is so different. I'll give it another go soon.

Vard

The Crossing

By the way, H. Murakami fans, 1Q84 is now available for preorder on Amazon. They're selling it for $20, over 33% off.

Gvaz

Banned
Almyn said:
I finished up The Player Of Games and moved onto

http://i.imgur.com/XMjKX.jpg[/mg]

[/quote]
Hamilton in general is a slow burn. I love him but it always takes me like 100+ pages (paperback for example, though I read on kindles) before I'm like "okay I understand what's going on now, I like it"

thomaser

Finally read through Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks". Two months on and off. Great book, but it's one of those where everybody loses, so it's not for those who want happy endings.

n58929.jpg

Just started "Jazz" by Toni Morrison. I've had it on my wishlist for 10 years or so, ever since I read and REALLY liked "Beloved". 40 pages in, and it's a much easier read than Beloved was.

mike23 said:
9SSOj.jpg
HxSVw.jpg

3SyAU.jpg
RH6z4.jpg

j2uc3.jpg

Read these over the past two days. Don't judge me, they're actually pretty good.

Not judging you. I usually like reading those kinds of UF books. But I read the first one half way and stopped. Just couldn't get into it for some reason. I got annoyed by the heroine.

mike23 said:
In what way?

What'd you think of it overall?

Typos irk me quite a bit. "Nien" -> "Nein." "Mazal Tov" -> "Mazel Tov." Etc.

The book has promise but suffers from pacing issues and an incomplete ending. I will say that it is decent for an independently published book.

mike23

Adam Blade said:
Typos irk me quite a bit. "Nien" -> "Nein." "Mazal Tov" -> "Mazel Tov." Etc.

The book has promise but suffers from pacing issues and an incomplete ending. I will say that it is decent for an independently published book.

Ah. I never notice spelling mistakes in books unless the mistake is really bad. Probably because I'm awful at spelling.

I agree with you on the incomplete ending. Almost feels like he left too much for the next book or something.

Gvaz

Banned
1898991.jpg

Finished ASOS and now I can finally start AFFC! This book at least I haven't really been spoiled on yet.

a word of warning

do NOT go in expecting AFFC to be like ASOS. It's written in a much different way, with far more poetic prose, and deals with more common-folk problems.

Look at it as a from-the-ground-up view of Westeros, and you'll love it like the cool people do.

Narag said:
^
That makes me want to pick up the pace in the earlier books and get to it. Sounds awesome.
It really, truly is. It's probably the best work of prose I've seen Martin compose since 1976's Sandkings.

Repgnar

Just finished up A Game of Thrones while on vacation. Started up the next book in the series but I don't think I'll get much more reading done until I get back home. A friend + GAF recommended the series and i'm thoroughly enjoying it.

survivor

Banned
I just finished reading The Well of Ascension and about 50 pages into the third Mistborn book. Some thoughts on the second book

I have come to realize that I really hate both Elend and Vin. There is just nothing about both characters that I care about and their love story is just stupid and boring. That and the fact that Vin is so ridiculously broken. I kinda ignored that fact in the first book since she got beaten a lot, but in the second book, she is just way too broken. What's the point of wars and threats, if she can take out hundreds of soldiers in minutes.

The ending and revelation at the end was pretty cool. I don't know why the plot twist of her releasing some monster never occurred to me, but I guess I never thought about it that much. Also I wonder what the hell Vin and Elend will fight in the third book. Cause obviously other Mistborn are no match for them now. Even Steel Inquisitors would last long against them.

Daamn, there is a lot of George RR Martin up in here. Damn my library for not having sufficient copies of ASoFI to loan!

Anways read this
Q3o3B.jpg

and loved it, unfortunately this is the sole Portis book at my library and my appetite for more Portis needed to be sated.

So there being so many comparisons between Portis and Mark Twain I picked up Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, a book I haven't read before and am now nearly complete
WoQhJ.jpg

My first reaction was Why the hell have I not read this before?! Mind you I haven't read any "old" classics for a while, they feeling many times antiquated and too academic for leisure reading lately, but this has a similar come what may adventurism that Gringos had. Its filled with so many endearing and humorous characters across the moral spectrum. Huck himself is so lovingly admirable, compassionate, moral to his bones, conscientious, never takes right or wrong at face value. These two books have already become favorites of mine.

Burger

51kYcuamISL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About 20% through, enjoying it. One of my favourite authors.

The United States is near total collapse. But 87% of the population doesn't care: they're addicted to flashback, a drug that allows its users to re-experience the best moments of their lives. After ex-detective Nick Bottom's wife died in a car accident, he went under the flash to be with her; he's lost his job, his teenage son, and his livelihood as a result.

Nick may be a lost soul but he's still a good cop, so he is hired to investigate the murder of a top governmental advisor's son. This flashback-addict becomes the one man who may be able to change the course of an entire nation turning away from the future to live in the past.

I'm Dancing with Dragons.

I was actually doing a re-read of Game of Thrones when it came out. I read about 3/4th of the way through before I switched over to Dance.

Tigel

Im thinking of reading A game of thrones but I am having doubts since english is not my first language. Is the writing style complex? I mean, if its written like The Road, I wont even bother.

Narag

Tigel said:
Im thinking of reading A game of thrones but I am having doubts since english is not my first language. Is the writing style complex? I mean, if its written like The Road, I wont even bother.

The most difficult thing might be keeping track of characters but there's an appendix you can refer to. The writing style isn't hard to read though.

W1SSY

Just got done with the Hunger Games Trilogy and plan on starting back into ASoIaF. Kind of wish I had more time to read but summer is just flying by and I know when I get back in school my reading will drop to almost nonexistent.

survivor

Banned
Relix said:
Started the Night Angel Trilogy. Fun read so far. The Way of Shadows.
Very fun books. Lots of good fights, magic and twists. I think the best part was that the writing was simple so I was able to breeze through the books very quickly.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Been reading bits and pieces of stuff here and there the past week since I finished my last book, but going to finish this today:

DSvGP.jpg

Then going to start this and hopefully finish it quickly (less than 200 pages):

M9c9Y.jpg

(probably said that before on here, but really starting it this time)

after that I want to take on something longer. I have so many books on my shelf I want to read, and don't know where to start......

Top Bottom