• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

charsace

Uriah said:
Started reading this

6690798.jpg

reminds me a lot of The Stand.

I had a question regarding the sequel and prequel to The Forever War. Are they as good as The Forever War? Or will I regret reading them?
Also reading this. More than half way through it and I like it.

Gummifaust said:
ymqec.jpg

And why is young Christina Ricci on the cover?
The resemblance really is uncanny.

Anyways, I just finished reading...

2mxombm.jpg

It's the first time I have ever read a Stephen King novel, and it was fairly entertaining.
It definitely had some interesting ideas, and was surprisingly creepy and shocking in parts.
The imagery conjured up of Zelda in particular was strangely unsettling.

Thinking about starting Let The Right One In... Haven't decided, though. I've already seen the film, so I'm curious about all the little intricacies and details that I've missed out on.

Let%20The%20Right%20One%20In%20book%20cover.jpg

Number45

Necromanti said:
Thinking about starting Let The Right One In... Haven't decided, though. I've already seen the film, so I'm curious about all the little intricacies and details that I've missed out on.
Do it do it do it - one of my favourite books ever. I haven't seen the film yet, and frankly if it's as evil as the book I'm not sure I want to!

_Isaac said:
I guess you didn't like it.
No just the opposite. I loved it. I couldn't put it down and burned through it. I'd move on to the next one in the series but until it arrived from Amazon it would be time for ADWD.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I really enjoyed The Way of Kings. I haven't read any of Sanderson's other work yet.

The Magicians seems to provoke love/hate reactions. I have a copy but haven't started it yet. Seems like a winter read.

Seeing that list of Clancy novels brings back memories. I used to wait for those like people are waiting for that new book about dragons.

tuxor

Neo Member
Blu10 said:

It's like Lamb (Which if you haven't read it, you really should), minus Jesus, plus the ghostbusters, set in present day

Yes. So many times yes. If you haven't read this book, you most certainly should, regardless of what you're into. I had practically entirely red eyes from reading this non-stop when it was only on the internet. SO GOOD.

662.jpg

Almost done with 700 pages too many of descriptions of Dagny Taggart and her appeal to productive men.

Mifune

Mehmber
Guileless said:
Seeing that list of Clancy novels brings back memories. I used to wait for those like people are waiting for that new book about dragons.

Oh my, so true. I remember reading Patriot Games on the band bus in like 7th grade and losing my shit when
Miller attacks Jack's wife and kid
. See, I even remember that dude's name! Or maybe it's because I can still see/hear Harrison Ford growl, "Where's Sean Miller?!"

Ah, memories.

Executive Orders was an unreadable piece of shit, though, and I haven't read anything of his since.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Re John Dies at the End: in the Guardian today, a reviewer calls it "Vonnegut channeling Philip K Dick channeling Hunter S. Thompson." Hmm.

Sleepy

I went to Borders last night and bought a few books. Now I can't decide which one to start. Choose my next book GAF:

Embassytown- China Mieville

Embassytown.jpg

The Way of Kings- Brandon Sanderson

200px-TheWayOfKings.png

American Gods- Neil Gaiman

200px-American_gods.jpg

Wubby

Narag said:
Doesn't hurt it's also the first Jack Ryan book.

Here's the publication order, 8BitsAtATime, courtesy of wikipedia.

The Hunt for Red October (1984)
Patriot Games (1987)
The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)
Clear and Present Danger (1989)
The Sum of All Fears (1991)
Without Remorse (1993)
Debt of Honor (1994)
Executive Orders (1996)
Rainbow Six (1998) (Ryan does not appear, but is mentioned)
The Bear and the Dragon (2000)
Red Rabbit (2002)
The Teeth of the Tiger (2003)
Dead or Alive (2010)

Personally if you are going to read through the Jack Ryan series I'd read everything up to and including Executive Orders and stop there. The bear and the dragon as well as teeth of the tiger were let downs and dead or alive isn't even written by Clancy.

Guileless said:
So, so true. Back in the day when he was actually good and not just a money printing press, his books were huge events - like kid on Christmas huge. I hate him for loathing him now....sniff!

Piecake

Guileless said:
Re John Dies at the End: in the Guardian today, a reviewer calls it "Vonnegut channeling Philip K Dick channeling Hunter S. Thompson." Hmm.

At first, I thought that was a spoiler for ADWD and I was just about to go all chain letter and voodoo on you

Just finished A Storm Of Swords part 2 and loved it, just about to start A Feast For Crows.

I'm looking at ADWD which is meant to be out on tuesday, yet the paperback edition on amazon has no release date, unlike the hardback, is something amiss or am I reading to much into this?

Piecake

Mr Biggles said:
Just finished A Storm Of Swords part 2 and loved it, just about to start A Feast For Crows.

I'm looking at ADWD which is meant to be out on tuesday, yet the paperback edition on amazon has no release date, unlike the hardback, is something amiss or am I reading to much into this?

Why would they announce the release of the paperback version before the release of the book? Doesnt really make much sense considering that if people don't know when its going to be released, and want to read the book, they will probably pay the extra money and buy the hardcover.

Yeah, I got to the payment screen and it changed from "this has not been released yet" to "september 2012", I'll just get the hardback, because I'm weak and have no willpower.

Futureman

just finished "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me" and really enjoyed it. Gnossos is such a good character. Crazy That Farina died two days after the book was published.

reading "Blood Meridian" now and it's fuck awesome. Only my 2nd Cormac book.

Number45 said:
Do it do it do it - one of my favourite books ever. I haven't seen the film yet, and frankly if it's as evil as the book I'm not sure I want to!
Well, that certainly makes the decision easier, then. :)

I would definitely recommend you to watch the original film adaptation (in Swedish), "Låt den rätte komma in". (I can't speak for the American adaptation, though, but it's supposedly decent too.)

I personally loved it, and while everything wasn't explicitly explained, the things implied were definitely very dark. The author also wrote the screenplay, too. I heard that early disc-based releases of the film had extremely simplified subtitles, but I think that's fixed (and something I didn't notice due to understanding the language).

Such a unique take on the medium of horror, dark romance, and vampires. I generally don't care for Swedish cinema, but this one surprised me.

deadbeef

AbYFB.jpg

I recently listened to the audio book version of this, Extra Lives: Why Video games Matter.

I thought it was a really good book. The author basically recounts various console games that he became infatuated with or addicted to. He spent a good bit of time talking about Oblivion, Resident Evil, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock, and GTA IV.

Pretty cool. Anyone know of any similar video game books? I've read Masters of DOOM.

deadbeef

_Isaac said:
So they matter because he became infatuated with them?

Nah, he actually didn't make a compelling argument why they matter. He ends up with as a recovering narcotics addict, actually.

Mifune

Mehmber
deadbeef said:
I recently listened to the audio book version of this, Extra Lives: Why Video games Matter.

I thought it was a really good book. The author basically recounts various console games that he became infatuated with or addicted to. He spent a good bit of time talking about Oblivion, Resident Evil, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock, and GTA IV.

Pretty cool. Anyone know of any similar video game books? I've read Masters of DOOM.

He's a good writer. I'm sad that he seems to be giving up the hobby, though.

Lee N

Membre
I picked up Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore about two days ago and I have already made my way through half of it, a real page-turner.

I had to take a break from our book club choice Master and Commander and read another Sacks book this weekend:

The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks

review from goodreads said:
Like Sacks's last book, The Mind's Eye is a fascinating mini-collection of neural impediments. The only section I did not like was his own story, which was told in the form of journal entries. I thought it was too long and self indulgent and skimmed through the last half of the section. Reading this book is a little like a circus show and a mild form of schadenfreude. There did seem to be a whole lot of foot notes, many of which I thought could have been worked more cohesively throughout the main part of the book instead of tacked on in the footer.

Quake1028

And now I officially have to leave this thread until ADWD is done (I'm only 1/3 through ASoS). See you all next month sometime!

Kraftwerk

Just finished :

3yvIbl.jpg

Another brilliant work by Banks in The Culture. Loved the mind interactions. Will have to re-read sometime soon to understand the Sleeper Service story arc better.

Meatfucker <3

ONWARDS!

IYkkFl.jpg

Gotta admit, the cover is what got me to take a look. Checked reviews on my iPhone while I was in the store and decided to pick it up. I'm about halfway through and digging it so far, but I hear it starts getting progressively more fun and crazy from here out.

You need to see it in person, but man - the cover...

medium_leviathan_wakes.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Fong Ghoul said:
Gotta admit, the cover is what got me to take a look. Checked reviews on my iPhone while I was in the store and decided to pick it up. I'm about halfway through and digging it so far, but I hear it starts getting progressively more fun and crazy from here out.

One of my favourite covers from the last several years. You'll probably like the cover for The Clockwork Rocket by Greg Egan, which gives off a similar feeling.

I'm just finishing up Troika by Alastair Reynolds:

2cdy6xi.jpg

Then moving onto ADWD.

Fong Ghoul said:

I felt the opposite about the cover. I guess it reminded me too much of some bad CG in Babylon 5 and I put off reading it for a while because of that.

Gvaz

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I felt the opposite about the cover. I guess it reminded me too much of some bad CG in Babylon 5 and I put off reading it for a while because of that.
The CG in babylon 5 was made on a G4 (iirc) mac back in the day on a shoestring budget though.

nakedsushi said:
Bad CG? It's hand-painted (or at least looks that way). Plus dat font...

Top Bottom