• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2011)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got "A Game of Thrones" to break in my new Kindle now that I finished "Spice and Wolf" Only a few chapters in, and am enjoying it.

On "Spice and Wolf", it was excellent, a bit more fleshed out than the anime, but the anime was apparently almost a scene for scene adaptation. Eager to read the rest of the books out currently, but will wait till after "A Game of Thrones" (and maybe the other books).

Salazar

ThisWreckage said:
Has anyone ever read Winesburg, Ohio?

The book is exceedingly fascinating, especially if you ever lived in or grew up in a small town.

I did write a whole lot on Midwestern small town literature, so I am perhaps a bit of a dick for not having read it.

I will make an effort.

Goody

803488-L.jpg
400000000000000425402_s4.png
500x500_844771_file.jpeg

These are the last three books I read. Coal Black Horse and Far Bright Star are the first two books in a currently unfinished trilogy. The first set during the American Civil War and the second during the Mexican Revolution. The first about a father, the second about his sons. Very violent and nearly absurd in some of the details. Olmstead's writing is amazing. Simple and lyrical and he speaks of war as if a force of nature.

The Devil All the Time I read between those two. Pollock's diction is definitely a lot more contemporary. The subject matter is definitely familiar ground: post-war preachers, orphans, killers and lawmen in the South just below above the Mason-Dixon, but he handles them in such a way as to avoid their most common stereotypes. The fabric made of these characters' weaved threads is something really special. A really good first novel. I need to pick up Pollock's short story collection: Knockemstiff.

sisters_brothers_cover.jpg

And I just started The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt. I picked it up on a whim (the cover might've had something to do with it), but I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Wiktor

Just finished this
child-fire-twenty-palaces-novel-harry-connolly-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I bought it solely because of Jim Butcher's recomendation. I really liked it, it felt rushed in some places, but the setting and characters were great and reading it provided me with a lot of fun.

Yesterday I've started reading:
200px-Ghost_Story_Butcher.jpg

Glad to have you back Harry, it's been way too long :)

Esnel Pla said:
The Devil All the Time I read between those two. Pollock's diction is definitely a lot more contemporary. The subject matter is definitely familiar ground: post-war preachers, orphans, killers and lawmen in the South just below above the Mason-Dixon, but he handles them in such a way as to avoid their most common stereotypes. The fabric made of these characters' weaved threads is something really special. A really good first novel.
This book sounds awesome, I ordered it right away after looking it up on Amazon. I love this genre.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished this:

bbSDK.jpg

Very quick read and interesting take on the economic crisis.

And just started this:

eKTAe.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
Esnel Pla said:
sisters_brothers_cover.jpg

And I just started The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt. I picked it up on a whim (the cover might've had something to do with it), but I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

This was a fun book. A series of aimless, diverting adventures that somehow becomes something more in the end.

Also just started The Devil All the Time. You, sir, have exquisite taste.

Sleepy

nakedsushi said:
The good thing is, I'm now NOT eagerly awaiting the next book.

Perfect. lulz

I'm ~260 pages in and I can already tell that the truly EPIC stuff is going to happen in book 6 or, gasp, 7. Martin is just moving all the pieces around for the endgame. Still, I am enjoying his positional maneuvering.
I really hope Tyrion is dead after being dragged down by the stonemen. I know it's not going to happen, though.

Mumei

:D

I almost finished reading Don Quixote - I'm about 60 pages out. I read the first half in about a month, but once I hit Part II, it felt like the narrative inertia reset. It took awhile before it picked up again and I wasn't feeling a bit burned out. But after it did, I've read ~350 pages this week just while on break at work. I actually like the second half much better than the first half at this point and it's definitely become one of my favorites.

I was going to read something new (and ask for advice again!) but I saw that GAF was planning on doing The Count of Monte Cristo, and since I haven't read that since, like, 2006, this is a great excuse to reread. I'll ask for advice later!

Salazar

Thumping through Dresden Files books. Very entertaining. I'd seen them mentioned quite a bit on here, and a reasonably pleasant and intelligent Gaffer seems to have named himself after them, so I figured I would try them out. And they're great.

Reading Bryan Magee's set of interviews with modern British philosophers for study.

Qasiel

Currently going through the Star Wars "Bounty Hunter Wars", in anticipation for The Old Republic and am currently on book two:

qRirb.jpg

After I've finished this trilogy, I'm going to crack back on with A Song Of Ice And Fire by reading the copy of A Clash Of Kings that was bought for my birthday last month.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
20081124_halting_state.jpg

Wasn't able to get into this.

The author describes a boring passionless world where everybody is reduced to money grabbing office rats living in virtual worlds. Might be a point to make but infinitely boring to read.

Moved onto this:

The-Scar-by-China-Mieville.jpg

I hate Bellis Coldwine as I would hate her IRL.

The Little Prince

41fsqZc2k9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

2000 edition, translated by Richard Howard.

A fable about a pilot who crashes his play and encounters a charming boy (the title character) who makes him see the world and life from a completely different perspective.

The word whimsical was invented for this tale.

The Little Prince changed my life. I tear up literally every time I get to the fox. a very important friend is also tied to that book in my heart, so it's hard for that not to affect that.

I just finished The Hero with a 1000 faces. SO GOOD.
Now onto 'lighter' reading, The Stranger by Camus

Posted this in the pick-up thread a week ago. My fall reading so far:

5968257023_f4400c1371_z.jpg

I'm about a fourth of my way into Infinite Jest and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Orcastar

Currently reading this:
Gl7Kf.jpg

and this:
2I11Q.jpg

After that I'll only have one of Reynolds' short story collections left. Guess I'll have to finally start Game of Thrones after that.

Sleepy

subversus said:
The-Scar-by-China-Mieville.jpg

I hate Bellis Coldwine as I would hate her IRL.

I think that book is the tits. Everytime I thought I had figured it out, Mieville shifted the world/plot/characters in a way that added a new wrinkle.

51gYzDOPscL.jpg

Started on A Dance with Dragons few days ago. Enjoy it very much, but would have been wiser to start the series over some time ago. Finished the previous parts more then a year ago, so don't remember all the characters and events that happened before.

51EMN58YJPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Ghost Pirates by William Hope Hodgson (1909)

Just finished this one; great tightly-woven tale of a ship at sea. Strange things start to happen. Very subtle, effective horror. Almost psychological. One of my favorites in recent memory.

41qkqMaMynL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Boats of the Glen-Carrig (1907)

Now working on this one. It's a little more rambling than The Ghost Pirates. A little less scary and more adventuresome (lots of trekking around uncharted territory and fighting off monsters), but still very good!

Edit: Both are free on Kindle and well worth your time.

Wiktor

Ok. Done with Ghost Story. Went through it very fast, despite being swamped with articles to write. Typical Jim Butcher page turner. Not my favorite from the series (that will probably forever be Dead Beat), but extremely enjoyable and setting up the pieces on the chessboard in fascinating way. I can't wait to see what he will do next. It seems the scale of conflict is about to get even bigger.

Still not quite filled on my urban fantasy thirst. So I've started reading this, since I enjoyed the first book in the series quite a lot.
game-of-cages.jpg

thomaser

A tenth of the way into "Against the Day" by Pynchon. Great so far. I was just taken by surprise by a cool, little allusion to Tetris, of all things:
a Russian airship-captain who attacks his enemies by showering them with bits of masonry in various shapes made up of four bricks...
. This book is all over the place, and I love it!

Donos

GAF recommended me the Dan Simmons Hyperion Trilogy so i started Book 1 (in german). I'm half through (at the end of the Sol Weintraub arc) and it's really good so far . Thumbs up GAF.

bnVou.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
About to start the 4th book from Song of Ice and Fire. Own 5th book and blew three the first three in less than a month.

Have ZERO idea what I'm going to read next beyond whatever text books I get hit with in a month or so.

FiendAngel

Neo Member
bengraven said:
About to start this book that no one has ever heard of and no GAFfer will ever read:

0140449264.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Heard it's okay.

I am gonna be honest here, I didn't read the novel as such but I did read a play based on it. Really enjoyed it.

cmonmanreally said:
I'm about a fourth of my way into Infinite Jest and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Keep going. You're just about to tip over into 'this is the greatest thing EVER' territory.

Nor not. In which case, I'm preparing a pity party. What kind of cake do you like? :)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I enjoyed Soccernomics although it is uneven. The best chapters are: the explanation as to how major capitals don't win European Cups and applying game theory to penalty kicks.

The new Larson book got great reviews in the US but not in the UK where the main criticism was that the ambassador who the book is about isn't interesting enough to merit book-length treatment.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
bengraven said:
About to start this book that no one has ever heard of and no GAFfer will ever read:

Heard it's okay.

The story and characters are amazing, just be aware that Dumas got paid by the line, and is very wordy at times.

bengraven said:

Heard it's okay.

Amazing piece of literature. I loved it when I read it back in high school, now I'm sure if I reread it, I would love it even more. Holy shit, it was a wonderful novel.

eznark

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
I think a lot of people use Goodreads.com - I don't really like it too much, though.

I meant more professional reviews, and after a brief dalliance, I am less than impressed with Goodreads, especially if you are looking for release news and stuff.

eznark said:
I meant more professional reviews, and after a brief dalliance, I am less than impressed with Goodreads, especially if you are looking for release news and stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a good website like that myself. Mayhap someone else will know of a good one.

I usually just make do with Amazon and GAF in general, though I know I must miss out on a lot of low key stuff.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm guessing you're not looking for something as obvious as the NY Times Book Review. But you can subscribe on Kindle for $3/month. Definitely worth it if you read a lot of fiction.

The Guardian has good reviews but sometimes the books aren't out in US when they are reviewed. Also Times of London, but that's behind a pay wall.

Top Bottom