• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Sony Studios are most likely to show up at E3?

Rymuth

I believe one of them was Bloodborne.
I don't think so. He made an update a few days ago. He said both of them could be revealed this year.

I'm on mobile so I'll post what he said when I get back home.

Basically one RPG is in-house and the other should be Sony x Level 5

That was just concept art rather than screenshots, and I don't think we've ever had a solid confirmation (besides Shinobi) that it was genuinely artwork of Guerrilla's next game. But we're all assuming it really was.

Well, Gskyace (who was the leak for it) is credible source on his own right.

I don't think so. He made an update a few days ago. He said both of them could be revealed this year.

I don't think there's ever any indication that one of them is in-house. Just that one of them is a probably a bigger investment/risk aimed for a WW-audience, and one more, maybe not so much.

he hinted at two other jrpgs besides Bloodborne.

Oh cool. So it looks like The Legend of Dragoon 2 and Dark Cloud 3 are locked in!

Well, Gskyace (who was the leak for it) is credible source on his own right.

I'm sure it's real, but I was just being cautious and suggesting that at the moment none of us really know for sure.

Rymuth

I don't think there's ever any indication that one of them is in-house. Just that one of them is a probably a bigger investment/risk aimed for a WW-audience, and one more, maybe not so much.
Perhaps.

Basically I'm still holding out for another Wild Arms. :p

delSai

I really think that Team Ico is going to be at E3 and show TLG. And Crash as well. But that's not from a Sony Studio.

well... Media Molecule is due up. hope their project didn't get cancelled. it's been a long time since LBP2.

PFJVCgI.jpg

BKiKInA.jpg

Rymuth

The Verendus post for those interested

That's from mid-2013, and most of it is still true really. Nothing significant has changed since then. The big chunk of bold is relevant, because when the doors come off the first two JRPGs, and GG's project, I'll be able to explain a general idea to you of the ones beyond that by using them as a point of reference. It's going to be an interesting series of projects for that reason, because all the planned titles won't have a distinct medieval vibe, nor will they all have the very cartoony vibe you see from titles like Tales or Star Ocean. They'll all be different to an extent.

Verendus said:
Obviously, the "WRPG" referenced in this post is the title everyone knows about now, and has nothing to do with the two JRPGs mentioned back then. You can ignore that, and you kind of have an idea of that one already to an extent. You can probably imagine what I mean now when I say "aesthetically striking, and imaginative" and trying to keep things unique.

Verendus said:
Both JRPGs are scheduled to be announced this year, with one potentially falling into 2016 for its announcement. Two years was a long time ago, and we're not far from the unveilings now in comparison. Official reveals can do the rest for you.

There Verendus post for those interested

Exciting stuff; it's been a long time since I've really cared about JRPGs but I am excited about the prospect of Japan Studios being a consistent and high quality developer again.

Speaking of which, I really hope and assume Gravity Rush 2 is due this year. I guess that might be a reveal better left for TGS.

Isn't Team Ico just a sub studio of Sony Japan? Team Ico made games after shadow of the colossus, just not under Team ICO but Sony Japan Studios. Correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't Team Ico just a sub studio of Sony Japan? Team Ico made games after shadow of the colossus, just not under Team ICO but Sony Japan Studios. Correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty much. Members of Team Ico were spread around working on other projects while the core of TLG team are playing Candy Crush.

Correct. Technically Team Ico aren't even really called Team Ico; I think that's just a name made up by fans. Given that Japan Studios is a studio of about 400-odd staff, I think it's reasonable that they could have Gravity Rush 2, one big JRPG, The Last Guardian and Knack 2: The Knackening in development.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Such an early sequel to Knack is disappointing. Us Knackers want post-launch support.

Why couldn't the Knackening be an expansion.

Javin98

Banned
This thread gets me hyped for Sony's E3 conference. I expect Guerrilla Games to release a short gameplay demo of Horizon, Naughty Dog to release a gameplay video of Uncharted 4 with an incredible set piece, Sony Santa Monica to release a short teaser of God Of War 4 and a gameplay video of the new Ratchet and Clank.
And perhaps a gameplay trailer of The Last Guardian with a surprise holiday 2015 release. Believe!

Quantic Dream was at least at two E3s in an official capacity (= booth space and press conference slot) when they didn't have a game to announce or promote.

Dark Sorcerer and Kara.
You seem to be mistaken. They heavily promoted Beyond at E3 2013 (including a stage presentation by Cage at Sony's booth) and skipped E3 2010, 2011 and 2014 completely. At E3 2012 they announced Beyond, Kara was never shown at E3, that was GDC 2012. Dark Sorcerer was shown as a side focus at E3 2013 cause they attended anyway, but for Beyond. Dark Sorcerer was presented by a dev, while Beyond was presented by Cage.

Kudo

Hope they will show Bloodborne expansion for Holidays.

This would be perfect.
Also personally I hope we'd see Star Ocean 5, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5 and Summer Lesson but not sure how likely those are, more likely to be shown at TGS I guess.

Bloodborne ending spoiler
Squid DLC your life as the squid hunter isn't over yet as you have to battle new enemies.

Sony could make bank on Doll cosmetic dlc, lets dress up our waifu guys!

Pretty sure we will get a timetravel DLC like Artorias of the Abyss.
I think it was a time travel DLC. It wasn't actually Master Willem. I can't remember the name, but I think it was a character who actually gets mentioned in the games, not just a dream creation. Willem was just my stand in.

Servbot24

Banned
This would be perfect.
Also personally I hope we'd see Star Ocean 5, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5 and Summer Lesson but not sure how likely those are, more likely to be shown at TGS I guess.

I want all that too but I doubt Sony wants to appear "too anime" on the E3 stage.

You can't stop the change. [/Jensen voice]

All that Youkai Watch money...

Jokes aside, I just want a Summer Wars/War Games/Mamoru Hosoda game.

Mamoru Hosoda x Level 5. That's what I want.

img_ttl.jpg

Well I'm glad you were just joking. The problem with Boku no Natsuyasumi isn't that it needs a reboot, it's that they don't make enough of them and when they do they don't even bother to release them in the west. The climate surrounding the localisation of Japanese games is so different now than it was some years ago that I bet if Sony did fund another installment for the PS4, they'd be pressured enough by the internet to have bring it over.

Then again, maybe they know that and that's why they won't make anymore entries.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You seem to be mistaken. They heavily promoted Beyond at E3 2013 (including a stage presentation by Cage at Sony's booth) and skipped E3 2010, 2011 and 2014 completely. At E3 2012 they announced Beyond, Kara was never shown at E3, that was GDC 2012. Dark Sorcerer was shown as a side focus at E3 2013 cause they attended anyway, but for Beyond. Dark Sorcerer was presented by a dev, while Beyond was presented by Cage.
Fair enough. It's all coming down to semantics for this particular discussion anyway.

Was The Dark Sorcerer with the intro and outro and 3 minute footage the more noteworthy contribution by Quantic Dream or was it the 2 minute trailer that was squeezed between other trailers.

They both had booths and both had stage demos at the booth because that's just how their booth works

Anyway, all of that aside it's quite a leap to then jump to then say that "no one from Quantic Dream was at E3" when they didn't have anything to promote or announce.
The only evidence of that being true would probably qualify as stalking, and with GAF's recent history I'm scared that is actually the case. ;-)

I think they might put Persona 5 on stage and make a marketing push for it together with SEGA/Atlus.

Honestly, I doubt Persona 5 will get much if any stage presence. Don't forget this is E3 which is the biggest event on the videogames calendar and they're not going to waste any time on niche titles like this. They're going to be pushing massive triple-A stuff like Street Fighter, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and so on. They might do a quick video demonstrating smaller games like this, but I seriously doubt it's not going to get a proper push on the stage at E3.

This would be perfect.

Star Ocean 5 we won't see at E3. It's too Japanese and niche and weird to get the spotlight treatment at such a mainstream event. Same with Summer Lesson, which is so downright pervy that it wouldn't jive well with the audience that'll be present.

Persona 5 is definitely a possibility, and I'd love to see a gameplay trailer get shown during the conference, but that's up to Sega.

There's something weird going on behind the scenes regarding Gravity Rush. We know now (sort of) that a PS4 remaster of the first game is on the way, but Sony haven't officially made it known yet. At the same time, God of War III Remastered, which was leaked around the same time, got its announcement trailer soon after, so Sony clearly weren't shy about making that known to the masses. We also know for sure that Toyama is working on the sequel, which was (sort of) revealed at TGS '13 as a Vita game, and then quickly disappeared into obscurity, presumably because at some point during development Sony decided to rebuild it as a PS4 game instead.

So my thinking is that Gravity Rush Remastered will be announced at E3, while the sequel isn't properly revealed until maybe TGS this year, because it's still a long ways off. Or, GR:R gets announced at some point between now and E3, and then the sequel gets its showing at the E3 conference, but that sounds more like wishful thinking on my part. Either way, we've got to see something substantial of Gravity Rush in some way, shape or form soon.

Fair enough. It's all coming down to semantics for this particular discussion anyway.

Was The Dark Sorcerer with the intro and outro and 3 minute footage the more noteworthy contribution by Quantic Dream or was it the 2 minute trailer that was squeezed between other trailers.

They both had booths and both had stage demos at the booth because that's just how their booth works

Anyway, all of that aside it's quite a leap to then jump to then say that "no one from Quantic Dream was at E3" when they didn't have anything to promote or announce.
The only evidence of that being true would probably qualify as stalking, and with GAF's recent history I'm scared that is actually the case. ;-)
Well, I'm not really looking at what the focus of the Sony presser was, but that of QD's presence at that E3. Regarding that Beyond had its own large demo section, which was thematically designed after the level you could play. Cage presented Beyond gameplay on a stage at the booth. Both him and GDF gave video interviews solely discussing Beyond (GameTrailers etc.). Dark Sorcerer had a very small and closed off booth in comparison and it wasnt even open for the entirety of E3. Of course I dont know if any individual devs of QD attended E3 on their own time, quite possibly they did. Im solely talking about the co-CEO and Cage here, if both don't attend nor anybody else representing them I think its fair to say that the company doesnt have much of an official presence at that particular E3.

Fortunately I dont have to stalk, as GDF gets asked every year if he will attend E3 on twitter and replied every time so far with either no or yes ;) At least going as far back as 2006, he only attended when he had something to announce or to promote game wise. Of course it could be completely possible that after 9 years he suddenly developed a love for E3, so he plans to fly out from Paris to LA on his own time while his company continues to work on the game without its executive producer present :D

That's how I arrived at my conclusion basically. They also won't show another techdemo, as per tradition they only do one demo for each game (they even said so). Now they could announce a Beyond remaster or a PS3 collection, but it seems unlikely compared to just the new game they have been working on for quite some time (and recently started to massively staff up for full production).

Star Ocean 5 we won't see at E3. It's too Japanese and niche and weird to get the spotlight treatment at such a mainstream event. Same with Summer Lesson, which is so downright pervy that it wouldn't jive well with the audience that'll be present.

Persona 5 is definitely a possibility, and I'd love to see a gameplay trailer get shown during the conference, but that's up to Sega.

There's something weird going on behind the scenes regarding Gravity Rush. We know now (sort of) that a PS4 remaster of the first game is on the way, but Sony haven't officially made it known yet. At the same time, God of War III Remastered, which was leaked around the same time, got its announcement trailer soon after, so Sony clearly weren't shy about making that known to the masses. We also know for sure that Toyama is working on the sequel, which was (sort of) revealed at TGS '13 as a Vita game, and then quickly disappeared into obscurity, presumably because at some point during development Sony decided to rebuild it as a PS4 game instead.

So my thinking is that Gravity Rush Remastered will be announced at E3, while the sequel isn't properly revealed until maybe TGS this year, because it's still a long ways off. Or, GR:R gets announced at some point between now and E3, and then the sequel gets its showing at the E3 conference, but that sounds more like wishful thinking on my part. Either way, we've got to see something substantial of Gravity Rush in some way, shape or form soon.

I'm still wondering whether Gravity Rush HD will be packed in with the sequel like Bayonetta was. But they should certainly avoid releasing GR2 in the September-December period at all costs, as it will get slaughtered by all of the bigger releases. Would probably be a solid game for a July/August or February/March release.

Mr Git

I'm kinda hoping the new Level 5 RPG is something like Ni No Kuni or maybe even a sequel. I remember it selling over a million copies so would be a good one to revisit for them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was thinking about what could possibly be announced by many of the different publishers and thats when I realized just how many of Sony's studios we don't really know about and could possibly show something at E3.

What we know

Naughty Dog - UC4
Sony San Diego - MLB, Killstrain, Drawn to Death
Evolution Studios - Still working on Driveclub
Insomniac - second party, R&C Reboot

What we don't know

Team Japan - very large, multiple games developed simultaneously
--Team Gravity - 3 years since last game
--Team Ico - last game (lol)
Polyphony Digital - 2 years since last game
Sony Bend - 3 years since last game
Santa Monica - 2 years since last game
Sucker Punch - 1.5 years since last game
Guerrilla Games - 2 years since last game
--Guerilla Cambridge - 2 years since last game
Media Molecule - multiteam, 4 years since last game, Tearaway developed alongside new IP
Sony London - usually releases several games per year, probably working on Morpheus
Quantic Dream - second party technically, 2 years since last game

Rumors/Soft Announcements
(By soft announcements I mean games that have been confirmed in development but not really formally revealed, like Gears of War from MS)

Studio Japan - TLG
Santa Monica - God of War
Polyphony Digital - GT7
Team Gravity - Gravity Rush 2
Guerrilla Games - Horizon (Robot Dino RPG)

Which Sony studios do you think are going to show up this E3? Sony has said they want to shorten the time between announce and release. As of right now the only games announced for 2016 are SFV and Uncharted 4 by delay. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Do we really know Insomniac will be there?

I hope we see something new from Sucker Punch. Second Son was a blast, but I'm ready for something new from the studio. A new IP would be amazing.

I hope we see something new from Sucker Punch. Second Son was a blast, but I'm ready for something new from the studio. A new IP would be amazing.

Yeh I love sucker punch. They had a ton of Sly Cooper homages within Infamous hidden around the city and on uniforms and whatnot so it wouldn't shock me if they created a new Sly Cooper.

I'm still wondering whether Gravity Rush HD will be packed in with the sequel like Bayonetta was. But they should certainly avoid releasing GR2 in the September-December period at all costs, as it will get slaughtered by all of the bigger releases. Would probably be a solid game for a July/August or February/March release.

There's no chance Gravity Rush 2 is coming out this year. For one thing, I don't think it's that close to being finished, and for another, I can see Sony aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release this time around, as opposed to the year-long gap between Japan and the rest of the world that the first game had. Bringing out the game in all regions at the same time will delay the game further, but it's a PS4 game now (probably), so Sony won't want to give it a head start in Japan, the country where the PS4 sells worst.

Gravity Rush: Remastered this year. Summer or September.
Gravity Rush 2 next year. Summer.

Asside from Guerilla stuff, The Last Guardian, UC4, etc., i also hope to see Motorstorm levels in Driveclub. Just make it part of one huuuge ever expanding and improving drivinggame that everybody wants.

dramatis

Sad that The Tomorrow Children doesn't get mentioned much, but I think it'll be at E3 if not in the Sony presser itself.

I'm kinda hoping the new Level 5 RPG is something like Ni No Kuni or maybe even a sequel. I remember it selling over a million copies so would be a good one to revisit for them.

Please let it be Ni no Kuni 2. Faces will melt on that current-gen tech. I'd be more excited for a hypothetical NnK2 than I am for FFXV at this point.

Do we really know Insomniac will be there?

They have to.
Ratchet & Clank has to be ready. The movie is releasing 2015, so the game is a 2015 title.
2015 title -> Unveiling it at E3 2015

A new Vita game by Guerilla Cambridge. That's all I'm asking for.
Next uerrilla Cambridge title = PS4 title

Please let it be Ni no Kuni 2. Faces will melt on that current-gen tech. I'd be more excited for a hypothetical NnK2 than I am for FFXV at this point.
God no....!
Not interested in saving the world with a "hero" who looks like he's 3 years old.

Top Bottom