• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii in process of being packaged?

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Amir0x said:
I know all those things - I even mentioned the doctor and storyline things AND I said 'basically the same tools' because I knew about the defribulator. However you classify the amount of new content ('few', 'a bunch', 'lots', etc), the fact is it's a remake ("Wiimake" according to him LOLZ) and that's not something I'm going to support for launch.

Yeah. I'm not trying to convince you guys not to buy it. So how come everytime I state an opinion, and it's not even a combative one, it ends up with ten people trying to convince me why I should think differently? It's a remake of a game that came out a year ago and I didn't even particularly like it then. That should be it, I would think! I wasn't even complaining about the game or anything :lol

Eh, it's just a normal thing for humans. If you don't think like I do, you should!

I see your point, I was just trying to say that calling this game a half-hearted effort simply because it isn't an entirely new game is kind of weak. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who is excited enough to get this game at launch to not care whether it's a remake or a new game or even if they turned it into a first person shooter or something.

Okay, that last example was ridiculous, but you get my point.

sprocket said:
Does this mean we should know whats being packed in with the system tomorrow night?

9:01am on the dot.

I thought half of Trauma Centre Wii was supposed to be new? The original game made up one half, then a new story making up the other?

Either way, the game drove me crazy on DS, I think I'll pass.

Amir0x

Banned
SS4Gogita said:
Eh, it's just a normal thing for humans. If you don't think like I do, you should!

I see your point, I was just trying to say that calling this game a half-hearted effort simply because it isn't an entirely new game is kind of weak. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who is excited enough to get this game at launch to not care whether it's a remake or a new game or even if they turned it into a first person shooter or something.

Okay, that last example was ridiculous, but you get my point.

Yeah I understand.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
9:01am on the dot.

I thought half of Trauma Centre Wii was supposed to be new? The original game made up one half, then a new story making up the other?

Either way, the game drove me crazy on DS, I think I'll pass.

Here is the quote...

IGN Wii: How long would you estimate the game is?

Tomm: That really depends on what difficulty mode you play at (there are three!) and how good you are at the game. Overall it's probably about 130% the size of the original game, so if you've finished that you have your time estimate. Newcomers will easily find 20 to 30 (or more) hours of play in the game, depending. Of course, there are always those unlockable bonus missions...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mejilan said:
I think we're all going to be bitterly disappointed by the 14th. Packaging, eh? Interesting. Is this the first time a console is ready to ship before final SDKs go out?

I kid. I kid.

Or do I? ;p

I'm having that feeling also. I feel like whatever they announce on the 14th there will be a lot of disappointment just because people are making some very unrealistic assumptions about Wii. And well, the last time they made a big announcement on a thursday it didn't go very well(Wii name).

Amir0x

Banned
I think most people expect $200. If it hits that, there can't be a disappointment-ton. When we had a thread about the price being $230, it was a little disappointing but it wasn't terrible

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
was Trauma Center really that hard? damn... I'll get the wii version cant wait.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
I think most people expect $200. If it hits that, there can't be a disappointment-ton. When we had a thread about the price being $230, it was a little disappointing but it wasn't terrible

What if they don't announce the price? :lol

Watch it be a surprise price. You just bring the box to the counter and they tell you.

It'll never happen, though, cause that would be retarded.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Watch it be a surprise price. You just bring the box to the counter and they tell you.

if they don't announce the price or release date i think everyone would question if the system is gonna launch much later than we all thought (maybe December)

but as you said, never gonna happen (imo)

ant1532

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

:lol

Suprise price. A different price for every customer!

Polari

Why are you people getting your panties in a twist over Trauma Center when there's going to be Metal Slug Anthology to be had?

When it comes to launch titles, if in doubt, Metal Slug Anthology.

Metal Slug Anthology.

Metal Slug Anthology.

ethelred

Polari said:
Why are you people getting your panties in a twist over Trauma Center when there's going to be Metal Slug Anthology to be had?

Metal Slug Anthology.

Metal Slug Anthology.

Coming this fall, only for the Sony PSP. Oh, wait, I mean...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Polari said:

Metal Slug Anthology.

Metal Slug Anthology.

O snap I forgot that was a launch game. Here's hoping SNK gives the Wii some fighting game goodness as well. VC or no VC I could go for some King of Fighters.

Sounds like Nintendo's thinking about pulling a Saturn.

Apple gets away with that stuff on the ipod because they has their own stores. Springing Wii on retailers would be a mistake.

sugarhigh4242 said:

Apple gets away with that stuff on the ipod because they has their own stores. Springing Wii on retailers would be a mistake.

Nintendo isn't stupid. There's no way that retailers, let alone third parties, are ready, since they aren't supposed to get their demo kiosks until over a month from now.

Polari said:

Metal Slug Anthology.

Metal Slug Anthology.
I have both this and Trauma Center reserved, but I am going to be seriously pissed when they tell us that MSA won't support the Classic Controller. And then if they tell us that GCN games won't be playable with the Classic Controller either I may just go on a rampage.

Polari

AndoCalrissian said:
I have both this and Trauma Center reserved, but I am going to be seriously pissed when they tell us that MSA won't support the Classic Controller. And then if they tell us that GCN games won't be playable with the Classic Controller either I may just go on a rampage.

I thought they'd already said that it would support classic controls, or at least the nunchuk and remote without motion-sensing (since that's really all you need)?

arab

Father_Brain said:

Nintendo isn't stupid. There's no way that retailers, let alone third parties, are ready, since they aren't supposed to get their demo kiosks until over a month from now.

We were saying the same about Sony and 600 dollar pricetag.

The gaming industry is filled with morons. Prepare for the worst.

ZeoVGM

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
An earlier-than-expected launch would only by Saturnesque if non-specialty retailers were locked out.

i think people are also forgetting that the saturn's surprise launch was a failure because..

it was SATURN.

no one gave a ****

sugarhigh4242 said:

They'll still have to hire and train all these people. This is seasonal temp work, and production won't be running at full capacity in the early going. They'll most likely have a hotline where employees have to check in everyday to see if they need to come in to work. Once things ramp up it won't be unusual to have people working 50 hours a week, but as of now these new hires would be lucky to get 32.

This is essentially preparation for the holiday crunch. Bigger retail chains are already hiring and stockpiling employees for the same reason.

sprocket

Banned
While i do think they will spring a surprise launch .. With something like the WIi having the console in stores and the same time as putting in kiosk would work better..

The Wii is goingto sell ebtter through the initial hype of playing SOMETHING DIFFERENT .. Nintendo doesnt people to go home and think about it . They need to play it and buy it right then and there.

Y2Kev

omg rite said:
i think people are also forgetting that the saturn's surprise launch was a failure because..

it was SATURN.

no one gave a ****

Oh dude, come on. Sega was, despite their 32x shit, still big then and the Saturn did especially well (I think in Japan?).

They had Virtua Fighter and Daytona...the Saturn did poorly because of its price and the...surprise...shitty software available due to the rushed launch.

Kohler is completely right here. It's a shitstorm of retarded.

newsguy

Are we really speculating a surprise launch? Hmm... while we (hardcore gamers) would love something like that, every bit of common sense I have tells me pigs will fly first.

ethelred

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Oh dude, come on. Sega was, despite their 32x shit, still big then and the Saturn did especially well (I think in Japan?).

They had Virtua Fighter and Daytona...the Saturn did poorly because of its price and the...surprise...shitty software available due to the rushed launch.

Kohler is completely right here. It's a shitstorm of retarded.

Nintendo's not going to do a surprise launch, this is true.

However, omg is rite that that is not at all why the Saturn sold for shit in the US. And by the way, it wasn't just the 32X that strained people's trust in Sega -- it was the double punch of the 32X and the Sega CD. The Saturn did okay in Japan, but it did horribly in the US because people were turned off by another new console from them after they'd just released two post-Genny systems, and yeah, because of the price.

KINGMOKU

Even if Nintendo pulled a surprise launch, comparing it with anything Sega screwed up on, is assinine.

There is a multitude of reasons the Saturn failed, the least of wich was the surprise launch.

Besides, it's not going to happen with the reported double amount of ad money Nintendo has set aside for the Wii launch(40Million) compared to the Gamecube launch.

It also wouldnt make any sense to have demo kiosks arrive after the system has launched.

Speaking of Saturn, I'm surprised no one's mentioned this quote:

Kalinske: I felt horrible about bringing Saturn to market. I was being forced to introduce the machine with a very high price, and its performance was terrible. We knew it was terrible. Sega Japan said, "You've got to bring Saturn out before PlayStation." Which we did - it came out four months earlier than PlayStation. Then they said we'd only have 70,000 ready by then. Well, how can you introduce a platform with only 70,000 units? I sent a memo to Japan in 1995, saying Sega would be better off just becoming a software company - we could support Sony, and even Nintendo. They sent a reply: "We will always be in the hardware business."

AniHawk

moku said:
Even if Nintendo pulled a surprise launch, comparing it with anything Sega screwed up on, is assinine.

There is a multitude of reasons the Saturn failed, the least of wich was the surprise launch.

Besides, it's not going to happen with the reported double amount of ad money Nintendo has set aside for the Wii launch(40Million) compared to the Gamecube launch.

It also wouldnt make any sense to have demo kiosks arrive after the system has launched.

I thought GC launch was 75 million, although that number might've been WW.

They sent a reply: "We will always be in the hardware business."

Oh, Sega.

KINGMOKU

AniHawk said:
I thought GC launch was 75 million, although that number might've been WW.
75million? I must have my numbers screwed up then. I could have sworn that I read 40million budget for the Wii launch, almost double that of the Gamecube budget.

I'll try and find that article.

Huh, while searching I found this;

"Nintendo's Wii (pronounced Wee) has a crazy name and an even crazier premise--motion-sensitive wireless controllers that require you to flail about to control gameplay. But once you start whacking a virtual tennis ball using an actual swinging motion with your arm, you're hooked. Small, sexy-looking, and affordable, Nintendo's newest gaming system, which promises such motion-activated titles as Excite Truck and Wario Ware to Metroid and Madden 2007, is a winner. $150; www.nintendo.com"

Form Vibe Magazine

Y2Kev

ethelred said:
Nintendo's not going to do a surprise launch, this is true.

However, omg is rite that that is not at all why the Saturn sold for shit in the US. And by the way, it wasn't just the 32X that strained people's trust in Sega -- it was the double punch of the 32X and the Sega CD. The Saturn did okay in Japan, but it did horribly in the US because people were turned off by another new console from them after they'd just released two post-Genny systems, and yeah, because of the price.

Well, those too are reasons. I think the primary problems were the lack of software and the price for the performance/feature set of the machine.

Sega's reputation...god, what a mangled web of horribleness.

AniHawk

moku said:
75million? I must have my numbers screwed up then. I could have sworn that I read 40million budget for the Wii launch, almost double that of the Gamecube budget.

I'll try and find that article.
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/101301/p8_01.html

Nintendo needs to reach into its treasure chest and pull out some money. Ten years ago, $75 million was a lot to spend on a console's launch, but not today. The players in the market are much larger now, and allocating less than 20 percent of what one of your competitors is spending is never good. Sure, all 700,000 units of the GameCube will sell at launch and there will be pandemonium because Nintendo won't let many retailers take preorders. Nintendo may be able to claim that it set a launch record as well, but as was proven with the Nintendo 64, it's the period of time directly after launch that sets a console's course. If Nintendo slacks off on releasing software, it could get ugly before next Christmas. Sony has more than 10 million PlayStation 2s out there selling more consoles. The GameCube will have less than 20 percent of that even if its launch goes as well as planned. In this case, word of mouth isn't going to cut it. Nintendo is a conservative company, but if it's serious about coming out on top, it's time to dust off those billions in the bank and get the word out on a huge scale. And no, a few hundred people per night at its Cube Clubs aren't going to get it done.

I only remember that because MS was spending $500 million.

GDGF

Soothsayer
From what I remember, even the N64 had an advertising budget of $50 million. I remember Next Generation saying in several articles 'With the N64 having a $50 million advertising budget and only 500,000 systems ready for NA launch, that equates to a $100 ad budget per system.'

Paraphrased, but ya.

Of course, this is before Nintendo began to replenish stock by shipping N64 systems that were originally allocated to Japan.

Ranger X

People believing in the surprise launch or even an October launch? :lol :lol :lol

-The packaging starts months before launch -- it's no indication of a september or october launch.

-Games aren't ready. Maybe Nintendo's but not third party. Unless all launch games are fake news and only Nintendo games will launch early and third party in November.

Seriously guys, be patient until November.

Top Bottom