• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii in process of being packaged?

KINGMOKU

AniHawk said:
I think the DS had a $150 million ad campaign, and the Who Are You? ad cost a similar amount.
Yeah I must have screwed it up.

Anywy, see my edit? 150$ for the Wii according to vibe magazine. How they know that is anyones guess.

Polari said:
I thought they'd already said that it would support classic controls, or at least the nunchuk and remote without motion-sensing (since that's really all you need)?
I've never heard them talk about any control scheme other than a special one for Wii. And I really honestly only want to play it with the Classic Controller. For that game, the remote and nunchuck can eff off.

And with GCN games, I don't want to have to use a GCN controller.

Polari

Link648099 said:
So let's assume that Wii is launching on the same day as PS3. What happens?

Stores open at 9:00, all 400,000 PS3s are gone by 9:01. Punters walk into the warm, loving arms of the Wii instead, at least until it sells out by 9:05.

Seeing as Sony are shipping **** all now, launching against it may bring in some hype, and Nintendo would certainly sell more. Still probably not a good idea though

AndoCalrissian said:
I've never heard them talk about any control scheme other than a special one for Wii. And I really honestly only want to play it with the Classic Controller. For that game, the remote and nunchuck can eff off.

And with GCN games, I don't want to have to use a GCN controller.

Why would they put 2 analog sticks on the classic controller if you couldn't use it with GC games?

SantaC

Ranger X said:
People believing in the surprise launch or even an October launch? :lol :lol :lol

-The packaging starts months before launch -- it's no indication of a september or october launch.

-Games aren't ready. Maybe Nintendo's but not third party. Unless all launch games are fake news and only Nintendo games will launch early and third party in November.

Seriously guys, be patient until November.

at best there is going to be a november 2nd launch.

ethelred said:
What happens? PS3 sells a maximum of 400,000, and Wii potentially sells a whole lot more.

I think it would be a really interesting dynamic if Nintendo launches right against PS3. I also think it would be incredibly smart.

AniHawk

Link648099 said:
I think it would be a really interesting dynamic if Nintendo launches right against PS3. I also think it would be incredibly smart.

Well, whenever Wii launches, Zelda does too.

ethelred

Link648099 said:

Well, if Sony had its shipping house in order, it'd be suicide. But just like Nintendo's likely to massively benefit from 600$... yeah, they can definitely turn this error (shipping problems) to their advantage, and launching right against the PS3 in this scenario probably would help them out.

There are going to be a lot of hyped gamers in full force on that day... and with PS3s being massively limited in stock, the Wii probably wouldn't be overlooked at all. Either way, it would be, as you say, an interesting dynamic. And pretty gutsy on Nintendo's part, but they've been acting quite aggressively of late, so I wouldn't put it past them.

ethelred said:
Well, if Sony had its shipping house in order, it'd be suicide. But just like Nintendo's likely to massively benefit from 600$... yeah, they can definitely turn this error (shipping problems) to their advantage, and launching right against the PS3 in this scenario probably would help them out.

There are going to be a lot of hyped gamers in full force on that day... and with PS3s being massively limited in stock, the Wii probably wouldn't be overlooked at all. Either way, it would be, as you say, an interesting dynamic. And pretty gutsy on Nintendo's part, but they've been acting quite aggressively of late, so I wouldn't put it past them.

I agree. Not to mention...as many have said, Wii is complementary to PS3/360 it would seem. If that is the case, then is it not possible that Wii stands to benefit further from PS3 shortages on launch day than, say, 360 would?

I think it's reaslistic to say that if somebody goes to buy a PS3 at a store, and they're sold out, they'll at least think about buying a Wii. Parents especially. It could be a smart move. Makes Nintendo seem really confident and the first few press releases would be filled with fun facts (Outsold PS3 at a rate of 3:1!!).

I think they may go for a slightly earlier launch though, just so they're on the market longer.

ant1532

Banned
Ranger X said:
People believing in the surprise launch or even an October launch? :lol :lol :lol

-The packaging starts months before launch -- it's no indication of a september or october launch.

-Games aren't ready. Maybe Nintendo's but not third party. Unless all launch games are fake news and only Nintendo games will launch early and third party in November.

Seriously guys, be patient until November.
Third Partys have said they are expecting late October... So they would be ready for an October launch.

But I believe in November launch since kiosk units arent coming out till late Oct, early Nov.

TheGreatDave said:
I think it's reaslistic to say that if somebody goes to buy a PS3 at a store, and they're sold out, they'll at least think about buying a Wii. Parents especially. It could be a smart move. Makes Nintendo seem really confident and the first few press releases would be filled with fun facts (Outsold PS3 at a rate of 3:1!!).

I think they may go for a slightly earlier launch though, just so they're on the market longer.

I don't know. If I were thinking strategy...and I was going to ship in November anyway, I might as well put my product right next to PS3 so it has no limelight of its own (edit: GIVEN the current dynamics. By no means is this strategy recommended always, or would it work. But Ethelred makes some very good points as to why it is extremely feasible right now)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think it's pretty crazy that we're even considering this possibility now. Crazy how things have changed. I say, hell Nintendo, go for it. Nothing to lose really, considering how things have lined up in their favor. Leave luck to heaven, and all that.

FitzOfRage said:
Why would they put 2 analog sticks on the classic controller if you couldn't use it with GC games?
You tell me, man. I just want confirmation is all. In fact, it's probably the most important officially unanswered question I have regarding Wii at this point (along with CC support for Metal Slug).

ethelred

AndoCalrissian said:
You tell me, man. I just want confirmation is all. In fact, it's probably the most important officially unanswered question I have regarding Wii at this point (along with CC support for Metal Slug).

I'm pretty positive Ben Herman confirmed classic controller functionality for Metal Slug.

Link648099 said:
I don't know. If I were thinking strategy...and I was going to ship in November anyway, I might as well put my product right next to PS3 so it has no limelight of its own (edit: GIVEN the current dynamics. By no means is this strategy recommended always, or would it work. But Ethelred makes some very good points as to why it is extremely feasible right now)

I imagine the mainstream press coverage would be good. Assuming news networks didn't compare Wii and PS3 graphically too often.

TheGreatDave said:
I imagine the mainstream press coverage would be good. Assuming news networks didn't compare Wii and PS3 graphically too often.

I think the mainstream news networks would say "look at the crazy shit people are doing with this new system", and thereby suppress graphical comparisons.

Hopefully that's what would happen. But in the UK, everything you see about the PS3 on TV compares it directly to the 360, and nothing else. I don't know what it's like in the US though.

Late October/Early November would be tops for me :D I'll have plenty of time to get all my DS playing out of the way ('cept for FFIII), time to wave goodbye to all the people that I love, and enough time to stockpile a few days worth of Dorito's and Dew to sustain me during the insane "OMG, IT'S SO FREAKIN' NEW!" stage.

Kyaaa, don't get me so excited <3

TheGreatDave said:
Hopefully that's what would happen. But in the UK, everything you see about the PS3 on TV compares it directly to the 360, and nothing else. I don't know what it's like in the US though.

The mainstream media doesn't know crap about graphics or videogames in general in this country. All they report is what they are told to report which is some version of "The kids nowadays sure love them videogames especially from <insert whichever company is selling the most at the moment." The graphics issue are imo a definite non-issue with the press and really only matters to the hardcore anyway when you factor in the consumer. Game systems generally don't win because of their tech.

ethelred said:
I'm pretty positive Ben Herman confirmed classic controller functionality for Metal Slug.
Bah, if he did I can't find it. Wait and see I guess.

I'm curious if we'll see some of the Wii menu system, etc. at the upcoming events, and hopefully some concrete VC details along with the launch details.

ant1532

Banned
PezRadar said:
Quoting myself because people are skipping over it.. really.. really DONT
Are you saying this due to the Ebgames/Gamestop catalog about the kiosk units? Or do you really know beyond?

Chittagong

Gold Member
PezRadar said:
Really people.. dont expect a suprise launch.. srsly.

spanish_inquisition.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
What is the benefit of a "surprise launch"? I can't think of any. On the downside, you minimize your product awareness.
To appease us manchildren and watch the hilarity ensue in Japan.

GhaleonEB said:
What is the benefit of a "surprise launch"? I can't think of any. On the downside, you minimize your product awareness.

The only way I see a suprise launch being any benefit what so ever is that MAYBE you have an early launch with a few of the lesser titles but you still leave Zelda and Metroid (Is that still a launch title?) for a latter date in November for what you might call the "real launch". You might get the bang and media hype then of two launches for roughly the cost of one. The intial mob that gets it early. And then that word of mouth spreading and you have the big launch so the people on the fence are now doubly tempted.

That being said, an early launch still doesn't seem like a good idea.........But even knowing that somehow I would love it if they did it. :lol

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
/me holds a razor blade up to pezradars eye

LEAK IT!!

Stand down.

I have ways of making him talk. I can be very... persuasive

*holds razor blade to pezradar's eye*

LEAK IT please

MrNibbles

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
electric pallet jack

FORK LIFT
(or even LIFT)

I hate when people make simple shit sound special.

*Watches Klaus*

RobotChant said:
They'll still have to hire and train all these people.

Hi, and welcome to the Wii packaging facility.
By showing up today, you have all been hired.

Now it's time for training:

You stand at a line.
A box and an item will come by on the conveyer belt.
Put the item into the box.

Repeat until we have a few million.

If we don't get any pics taken on dodgy camera phones of Wii and its packaging. i'm gonna hunt Anihawk down, and blame him, as i rip out his eyes with the razorblade he threatened pezradar with.

DefectiveReject said:
If we don't get any pics taken on dodgy camera phones of Wii and its packaging. i'm gonna hunt Anihawk down, and blame him, as i rip out his eyes with the razorblade he threatened pezradar with.
Why not just do it anyway? It will be fun. I promise. Really.

Top Bottom