• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, guess it's time to buy the PC version during a Steam sale or something.

Was actually interested in buying this on the Wii U, too.

Whompa

Invest millions until now.

Sell maybe 100.000 and get back some money.

Sell 0 and get back 0 money.

Don't see how this makes sense now.

Maybe they have raw data to back up the cancellation? Maybe it's just not worth it any longer to finalize production and distribute the game.

jmmvTNrEFMURe.jpg

Time to update this image with WiiU locked in a cellar awaiting execution.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It might be like Call of Duty Ghosts where some places didn't carry the Wii U version physically but you could order it from the website

fred

The game should be almost finished by now. Given the money they've spent developing it there's no way that they'll can it now if they have any sense. They'll be in a position by now where releasing the game for the Wii U will reduce losses, not increase them.

EA only canned the Wii U SKU of Crysis 3 because they were having they're hissy fit and decided to cut off their nose to spite their face. I can't see Ubisoft doing the same thing tbh.

Riddler

FistoftheNorthstar.jpg

God I hope this isnt true because if WiiU dies prematurely that means "X" gets delayed and transfered to new Nintendo System!

Imtey

Banned
I can believe it, I was always surprised when I continually remembered that this was coming to WiiU, probably wont be profitable

tipoo

Banned
I guess it makes sense, from a business standpoint. I wasn't going to buy the game anyways but still.

They would have already shouldered the vast majority of the development cost by now though, why does it make sense not to release it? Unless the performance was so poor they'd have to rejigger a lot of the game.

Maybe they have raw data to back up the cancellation? Maybe it's just not worth it any longer to finalize production and distribute the game.
Ubisoft stated that their Wii U ports cost around 1.000.000 $ (Ass Creed III and so on).

Watch Dogs should be more expensive.

If this port costs them 3.000.000 $ to 5.000.000 $ they have to sell 150.000 to 250.000 units (at 20$ income per game).

And if Assassin's Creed III could achieve 100.000 units, Watch Dogs can do it do.

It's certainly better than 0 income, but it's up to Ubisoft, I don't see the logic at this point of production.

Mumford

A friend of mine who has an Xbox One is actually considering getting this game on Wii U because of the Gamepad instead of the Bone. However, if I end up getting this game, it will definitely be on PS4. I'll still be sad to see Ubi drop support for the Wii U though. Poor Wii U.

Takao

Banned
Ubisoft stated that their Wii U ports cost around 1.000.000 $ (Ass Creed III and so on).

If this port costs them 3.000.000 $ to 5.000.000 $ they have to sell 150.000 to 250.000 units (at 20$ income per game).

And if Assassin's Creed III could achieve 100.000 units, Watch Dogs can do it do.

It's certainly better than 0 income, but it's up to Ubisoft, I don't see the logic at this point of production.

Assassin's Creed III was a launch game. Ubisoft probably looked at how ACIV, and Splinter Cell performed.

Maybe poorer than expected ACIV and even perhaps Just Dance sales on the WiiU were much lower than Ubi forecast and therefore don't see any reason to waste more resources releasing Watch_Dogs.

Diebuster

The Wii U version doesn't show up if you search for it either. If Ubisoft really is canceling it, that's a huge loss for the Wii U.

massoluk

Banned
Oh god, I hope it's just Italy. Strange as it sounds now, Watch Dogs was one of the reason I bought the Wii U (Stop gap before building a new PC rig).

Assassin's Creed III was a launch game. Ubisoft probably looked at how ACIV, and Splinter Cell performed.
I know, but Watch Dogs gets more buzz around Wii U owners than Assassin's Creed, especially because there are no other games like this on the system.

We'll see if it's true, everything is possible, I hope not.

Griss

Why is the Wii U watching out of the window?

It's inside the house, pensively looking out of the window on a rainy day, catching its own reflection in the mirror. Classic 'depressed' behavior.

As for this news, well, dead mean feel no pain. The Wii U is dead in Europe, finito. This makes no difference.

Mlatador

Banned
The Wii U version doesn't show up if you search for it either. If Ubisoft really is canceling it, that's a huge loss for the Wii U.

Only if the game proves to be a good one. The hype surrounding it has pretty much died down (especially after the few gameplay previews were shown).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no special insider knowledge and I have no idea if this is true. But I read GAF and the posters on GAF who clearly have the inside track about Ubisoft signalled around mid last year that the performance of Blacklist and AC4 were important barometers that would help Ubisoft decide on future support for Wii U. I have no idea about AC4, but Blacklist severely underperformed on the Wii U. So if someone were to tell me that AC4 fared the same way, then it wouldn't surprise me if either Watch_Dogs marked the end of support or Watch_Dogs was cancelled for the system.

Mlatador

Banned
It's inside the house, pensively looking out of the window on a rainy day, catching its own reflection in the mirror. Classic 'depressed' behavior.

As for this news, well, dead mean feel no pain. The Wii U is dead in Europe, finito. This makes no difference.

Premature statement, we'll see what 2014 brings.

popeutlal

But I was going to buy the Wii U version. Of course I was going to get it depending on the reviews and when the price drops, because pfft at paying for a Ubisoft game at full price.
Even Zombie U, launch game, didn’t make any money for UBI...a few people buying this game for Wii U would probably cover the development costs.

Dicer

Banned
I have no special insider knowledge and I have no idea if this is true. But I read GAF and the posters on GAF who clearly have the inside track about Ubisoft signalled around mid last year that the performance of Blacklist and AC4 were important barometers that would help Ubisoft decide on future support for Wii U. I have no idea about AC4, but Blacklist severely underperformed on the Wii U. So if someone were to tell me that AC4 fared the same way, then it wouldn't surprise me if either Watch_Dogs marked the end of support or Watch_Dogs was cancelled for the system.

To be fair, Blacklist didn't light up the charts on any system...

Whompa

It's also shit like this that makes me want everything on pc...cancellation for a game should not be based on how other IPs do on the target system. It's such a crazy metric to determine why a game should be made or not.

This is all under the presumption that it wasn't worth it based off sales or projected sales based on previous figures.

jrcbandit

Still don't really understand the point of more mature third party multiplatform software on the WiiU anyway. The WiiU isn't any better than the 360/PS3 and now we even have One/PS4 versions that are vastly superior. The market is pretty small for WiiU-only owners - likely mostly young kids who wouldn't care about Watch Dogs. The 360/PS3 are cheaper than the WiiU with much larger gaming libraries and much more active online, and next gen consoles either already have or will soon have a larger userbase than the WiiU. Why would I and the vast majority of console owners ever buy the WiiU version of multiplatform games? Still no compelling answer - same graphics/performance (or worse) than 360/PS3 and vastly inferior online play, and next gen consoles/PC graphics are far superior. Lame touch screen gimmicks or having an ever-present map on the controller is not the answer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To be fair, Blacklist didn't light up the charts on any system...

I wasn't referring to overall performance, I was referring to performance on Wii U versus other systems, as was the person who originally posted that information here.

jmizzal

They also said Watch_Dogs was a barometer but it got delayed, so there is no reason to cancel a finished game, its just a waste of money.

Peff

6. Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)

Yeeeeahh...

B.O.O.M

You are making a lot of assumptions here, unless of course you have some raw numbers to back them up in which case I would love to see them.

Why would this port cost them 3 to 5 times more than AC?

What makes you sure they were actually well into development of the wiiu version and hadn't decided earlier to put it in the back burner for a while? Makes sense wouldn't you think if they wanted to see how AC and Splinter Cell would perform? John Harker last year said that publishers are keeping a close eye on titles like Splinter Cell.

Also it's not only about the money it's also about value of time. A business may decide the time needed to be spent on the port doesn't justify the revenue let alone the profit. This is especially true when they have the game coming out for so many platforms.

Either way would be good to get some confirmation from someone

steveovig

Invest millions until now.

Sell maybe 100.000 and get back some money.

Sell 0 and get back 0 money.

Don't see how this makes sense now.

I don't see how they'd sell 100K on the Wii-U. Maybe I'm wrong. Aren't they looking for like 7 million overall units or something, across all platforms? The Wii-U sales won't make a dent.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Well, fuck. The Nintendo investors meeting is gonna be interesting next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom