• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parapraxis

Time to update this image with WiiU locked in a cellar awaiting execution.

Not as elegant as the other, and a slight twist on your idea, but anyways.

owI89NH.jpg

SmokyDave

I dunno, man. The Wii U logo is present on the Ubi site and it seems you can still preorder the game at UK retailers.

Yeah and it has long legs. If only Ubisoft where bothered to patch it would sell even faster.
....No, Nilaul. There is not a significant number of potential Zombi U purchasers waiting for a patch.

Besides, it already has been patched, hasn't it? I feel like it'd already been patched when I played it.

Is this the Nintendoomed thread of the day?

Show me one person who is seriously saying Nintendo are doomed. Seriously, you may be joking, but the only people I see saying that are ones that are using sarcasm poorly to undermine any negative news about WiiU and dismiss it as hubbub.

Nilaul

The Wii U version of Blacklist also counted for 1.6% of <300K sales for the game in North America in the month it released too (via Creamsugar and NPD). Absolutely pitiful numbers.

Maybe its gonna be download only?

U know port it quickly and dirty, don't pay for production or testers, marketing is already payed for by other consoles. Get more money out of download only because it is ok to charge 60 dollars for a digital release on Nintendo's shop. Any glitches pop up? Ignoooreee.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What?! For better or worse, Watch_Dogs is going to sell a lot regardless of the quality if the final product.

Listen. WiiU needs games, not only Nintendo ones. And needed some of the Watch_dogs' cake even if it was minimal.
No point in making cake if the ants are going to get to it first.

You're all not surprised? Really?! Ubisoft is the Wii U's biggest third-party supporter and it's probably safe to assume that it has had a team working on a Wii U port for a long time now. For it to be cancelled, well, I find that pretty shocking at least. If the game wasn't delayed, the Wii U version would've seen the light of day by now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

U know port it quickly and dirty, don't pay for production or testers, marketing is already payed for by other consoles. Get more money out of download only because it is ok to charge 60 dollars for a digital release on Nintendo's shop. Any glitches pop up? Ignoooreee.

Knowing Nintendo they probably charge publishers a large fee to put something on the eShop. Either way, when you're looking at maybe a few thousand sales on the high end, I don't imagine the brand damage of doing something like that would be worth it.

The Wii U version of Blacklist also counted for 1.6% of <300K sales for the game in North America in the month it released too (via Creamsugar and NPD). Absolutely pitiful numbers.

Can confirm, I haven't ever seen more than about 150 people online in Splinter Cell.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Lots of negative press about a low quality port with glitches in exchange for pitiful sales if AC4 and Blacklist are any indication of hardcore Ubisoft title performance on WiiU?

What a fantastic idea.

If it's still coming out on the ps3/360 then why not release it on wiiu ?

Extra effort and costs for much less sales?

I wonder how bad Just Dance sold on the WiiU and whether that was a big decider for future support. I mean if that doesn't sell well, then what chance has anything got?!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Another developer comes to its senses relative to WiiU. At this point. You'd have to be stupid or bank rolled by Nintendo to be a third party for this turkey.

But again since WD, like AC is a cross gen game, I see no reason why the porting costs would be significantly higher
Don't know, Watch Dogs seems like the bigger project (while AC has a huge staff too), so let's say it's in that range, plus, minus. :p

Maybe that's the reason why it was delayed..it might not have been anywhere near ready even on the other consoles. It's a possibility
Yes, that's true, there's a reason for the delay in the end.

But yeah we really need some confirmation first. This could all be a misunderstanding
Going by the other reports, it seems that it's cancelled. :/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98245700&postcount=159

Nilaul

....No, Nilaul. There is not a significant number of potential Zombi U purchasers waiting for a patch.

Besides, it already has been patched, hasn't it? I feel like it'd already been patched when I played it.

They didn't patch all the problems, just the most common ones. Google it there, quite a few forums posts about different ones.

I have no idea how much this game sold online but now that you can download the game for 10-15 euros of e-shop you'll probably get to a million by the end of this year. (Im just hopeful xD). Not sure how profitable that is for Ubisoft though if they sell it for that cheap.

lyrick

So it may be online only through GameStop in Italy, and Gaming Journalism is being Gaming Journalism...

You're all not surprised? Really?! Ubisoft is the Wii U's biggest third-party supporter and it's probably safe to assume that it has had a team working on a Wii U port for a long time now. For it to be cancelled, well, I find that pretty shocking at least. If the game wasn't delayed, the Wii U version would've seen the light of day by now.

But the game was delayed, and rumors point that is going to have mayor changes or at least be way more polished than Ubisoft was initially willing to pay.

Not mention they want to make this game a franchise, so they are thinking it as an investment.

If true, this really sucks. I wanted to try it on the Wii U,even though I planned on getting the PS4 version. The gamepad features would have been really cool. I'd double dip.

Dicer

Banned
Like you said: Wii U sales at 1 and 1.8% is just wow.

5. Batman: Arkham Origins (360, PS3, Wii U, PC) - <650,000 (PS3 + 360 = 98.2%, Wii U = 1.8%)
6. Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)

So PC got 0?

Numbers don't add up, and what was the source for that exactly, I sure never saw it...

Anth0ny

Expected. If Watch Dogs is gone, you can bet Wii U won't have COD this year either. Third party support is officially, completely dead.

Jito

Banned
Like you said: Wii U sales at 1 and 1.8% is just wow.

5. Batman: Arkham Origins (360, PS3, Wii U, PC) - <650,000 (PS3 + 360 = 98.2%, Wii U = 1.8%)
6. Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)

Holy shit that is terrible! Really doubting Ubisoft would continue support with sales like that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So PC got 0?

Numbers don't add up, and what was the source for that exactly, I sure never saw it...

These are NPD numbers and they're correct.

PC got less than Wii U (11.700 from that calculation), probably rounding error or the 650.000 doesn't include PC.

NPD doesn't track PC because it's almost nonexistent at retail.

Squire

Banned
I had a feeling that this was coming (if true).

Just no point in making it with the recent news.

I've been thinking it since those couple "Is Watch_Dogs still relevant?" threads popped up. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the current-gen versions were cancelled to push extra hard on the PS4/XBO/PC releases, but for the Wii U port specifically, Ubsoft basically has no incentive whatsoever to release it, so far as we can tell.

Harlock

Maybe all the current gen versuon are not meeting a good standard and ubisoft are doung only next gen watchdogs, cacelling wii u, ps3 and 360.

I have no special insider knowledge and I have no idea if this is true. But I read GAF and the posters on GAF who clearly have the inside track about Ubisoft signalled around mid last year that the performance of Blacklist and AC4 were important barometers that would help Ubisoft decide on future support for Wii U. I have no idea about AC4, but Blacklist severely underperformed on the Wii U. So if someone were to tell me that AC4 fared the same way, then it wouldn't surprise me if either Watch_Dogs marked the end of support or Watch_Dogs was cancelled for the system.

Would be interesting to know how much they expected for sales, considering they put minimal effort into the Wii U version. Poor frame rate (from what I've heard) and no DLC isn't going to make people want to buy the Wii U version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They track PC sales, it wouldn't be listed otherwise.

The leaked number just doesn't include PC (probably).

If they do, it's separate from the console category, which means it costs extra to gain access. Don't imagine many people bother. The NPD numbers you always see are just tracking console and handheld data.

I've been thinking it since those couple "Is Watch_Dogs still relevant?" threads popped up. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the current-gen versions were cancelled to push extra hard on the PS4/XBO/PC releases, but for the Wii U port specifically, Ubsoft basically has no incentive whatsoever to release it, so far as we can tell.

Well it still seems highly anticipated on NeoGAF:
NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

It seems they just haven't activated the marketing machine yet.

catmincer

Maybe all the current gen versuon are not meeting a good standard and ubisoft are doung only next gen watchdogs, cacelling wii u, ps3 and 360.

They'd be fools to cancel the PS360 version, there's millions of users who still use those consoles and will buy games for it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I hope this isn't true, (I'd buy!), but I've heard rumblings indicating this for a while so I wouldn't be surprised.

But the game was delayed, and rumors point that is going to have mayor changes or at least be way more polished than Ubisoft was initially willing to pay.

Not mention they want to make this game a franchise, so they are thinking it as an investment.

It depends how long the game is delayed for, because we still don't know when the finalised release date is, but for the entire Wii U version to be scrapped due to some extra months development strikes me as a bold decision to be made. Assuming Watch Dogs comes out in June at the latest, I can't see it undergoing "major changes" right now. Lots of polish and tweaking sure, but we already know it's been in development for years, so how much can really be changed?

I can see the cancellation happening, I'm just surprised that Ubisoft are willing to pull the plug at such a late stage. It's almost like another Rayman Legends scenario, when the Wii U exclusive was delayed a mere two weeks prior to release just so Ubi could work on multi-platform versions.

I don't think it's that simple. You can't ship a product that doesn't meet quality standards (at least, you shouldn't). That's bad business for everyone. You also still have to have customer support and maintain the online infrastructure which is a big part of the game. Then you have to educate retailers about the Wii U version (and the fact it even exists). There are likely minimum production runs they have to do which might not come even close to selling out, and which they still have to pay Nintendo fees on for printing. Plus if the game doesn't sell well they have to work harder to convince resellers to stock their next game.

The list goes on and on.

And the Wii U shop I doubt gets anywhere near the traffic for it to be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom