• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicer

Banned
Still don't really understand the point of third party multiplatform software on the WiiU anyway. The WiiU isn't any better than the 360/PS3 and now we even have One/PS4 versions that are vastly superior. The market is pretty small for WiiU-only owners - likely mostly young kids who wouldn't care about Watch Dogs. The 360/PS3 are cheaper than the WiiU with much larger gaming libraries and much more active online, and next gen consoles either already have or will soon have a larger userbase than the WiiU. Why would I and the vast majority of console owners ever buy the WiiU version of multiplatform games? Still no compelling answer - same graphics/performance (or worse) than 360/PS3 and vastly inferior online play, and next gen consoles/PC graphics are far superior. Lame touch screen gimmicks or having an ever-present map on the controller is not the answer.

Notthisshitagain.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They also said Watch_Dogs was a barometer but it got delayed, so there is no reason to cancel a finished game, its just a waste of money.
You're using the concorde fallacy.

There are opportunity costs and additional costs when deciding to continue a project you think will not recoup its money back.

Printing and distribution, as well as any additional engineering tasks on the WiIU project are not $0.

iIxK9b2T99mYH.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Invest millions until now.

Sell maybe 100.000 and get back some money.

Sell 0 and get back 0 money.

Don't see how this makes sense now.

More like, sell maybe 10,000.

It's probably better to just cancel the project now instead of doing the additional work to bring the Wii U version up to date with all of the frantic changes they have been making after the release of GTAV.

Notthisshitagain.jpg

Whatever, man. Technically, it has some advantages and disadvantages, apparently. That doesn't stop the narrative from being that it's hard to develop for and, technically, it can't do much more than the PS3/360. None of the games currently out really demonstrate a graphical advantage.

Persona7

Banned
The game should be almost finished by now. Given the money they've spent developing it there's no way that they'll can it now if they have any sense. They'll be in a position by now where releasing the game for the Wii U will reduce losses, not increase them.

EA only canned the Wii U SKU of Crysis 3 because they were having they're hissy fit and decided to cut off their nose to spite their face. I can't see Ubisoft doing the same thing tbh.

I know nothing about manufacturing and shipping but maybe those costs outweigh what they could get back so deciding not to release it might be a better idea. Unless they release it as a digital only title.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder how many people would have bought it and if that news even matters. My impression is that the vast majority of Wii U owners, like me, has the system only for exclusives. The number of people who only own a Wii U is probably rather tiny.

SJRB

Gold Member
With ZombieU, Blacklist, ACIII and ACIV you can't say Ubi hasn't tried, but at some point you have to cut your losses.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Unless Ubisoft announces this relatively soon, we'll know if it's absolutely true on Monday, February 10, as they will have their Q3 2013-14 Earnings Release Conference Call then.

If true, would be sad if it means it's simply because of lackluster sales of previous titles Ubisoft has released for Wii U. We'll know soon the real reason.

Nilaul

So only ZombiU sold enough? yeah? 630,000 or so retailish?

And that game has some embarrassing and messed up game-breaking bugs.

MercuryLS

Banned
I know, but Watch Dogs gets more buzz around Wii U owners than Assassin's Creed, especially because there are no other games like this on the system.

We'll see if it's true, everything is possible, I hope not.

Can we please stop pretending like this game has any hope of doing respectable numbers on Wii U. Has there been a single good/decent selling 3rd party title for this console?

catmincer

You're using the concorde fallacy.

There are opportunity costs and additional costs when deciding to continue a project you think will not recoup its money back.

Printing and distribution, as well as any additional engineering tasks on the WiIU project are not $0.

Plus we're assuming development for the Wii U version is going well. If they're having problems getting it up to par to the PS360 versions then at a point you may as well cut your losses and not release it.

You are making a lot of assumptions here, unless of course you have some raw numbers to back them up in which case I would love to see them.

Why would this port cost them 3 to 5 times more than AC?
As you said, it's an assumption based on the other porting costs.

We know that their launch ports costs where 1.000.000 $ per game (from their conference call: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40043576)

What makes you sure they were actually well into development of the wiiu version and hadn't decided earlier to put it in the back burner for a while? Makes sense wouldn't you think if they wanted to see how AC and Splinter Cell would perform? John Harker last year said that publishers are keeping a close eye on titles like Splinter Cell.
This game should've been released in November, therefore the game should've been fairly advanced for every platform.

Also it's not only about the money it's also about value of time. A business may decide the time needed to be spent on the port doesn't justify the revenue let alone the profit. This is especially true when they have the game coming out for so many platforms.

Either way would be good to get some confirmation from someone
Well, it's up to Ubisoft.

More like, sell maybe 10,000.

(...)
Let's be realistic.. even if it's about the Wii U.

Figured it was likely that the Wii U SKU would be canceled after the game was delayed into spring. It depended a little on holiday Wii U sales, obviously. But... we all saw how that turned out.

Majine

Banned
It pains me to see news like this, because a hypothetical Nintendo console with third party output on par with Microsofts and Sonys platforms would be my #1 console of choice.

Now that idea seems more far away than ever before.

popeutlal

But even if this game was not canceled, Wii U might have truly been dead by the time the game was released.

So in the end nothing might have changed.

Mlatador

Banned
Doubtful, but even if that is the case, at least its something to play and for Nintendo's sake, something on a release list. It's embarrassing what they have to offer.

The year has barely started. In the next Nintendo Direct there will most likely be more concrete news towards actual release dates.
"At least something to play (in that case a hypotetical bad game)" is not a compelling argument. The Wii U's library offers much better options.

Invest millions until now.

Sell maybe 100.000 and get back some money.

Sell 0 and get back 0 money.

Don't see how this makes sense now.

I remember when the finished version of Half-Life for the Dreamcast got cancelled whoever cancelled it (I forget who the publisher was) said they saved money. Not sure how, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.

I remember when the finished version of Half-Life for the Dreamcast got cancelled whoever cancelled it (I forget who published it) said they saved money. Not sure how, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.
Yes, it's also a possibility in the end.

I think that's plenty realistic when you have reports of Wii U versions doing maybe 1 - 2% of total sales of a multiplatform game.
Games sell longer than one month, especially if the next months are November and December.

T.O.P

Banned
Kinda sucks but expected

Anyway would love to see a Zombie U sequel or even a remake down the road, the game is really great

Yawnier

Banned
6. Assassin&#8217;s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)

Yeeeeahh...

The Wii U version of Blacklist also counted for 1.6% of <300K sales for the game in North America in the month it released too (via Creamsugar and NPD). Absolutely pitiful numbers.

The year has barely started. In the next Nintendo Direct there will most likely be more concrete news towards actual release dates.
"At least something to play (in that case a hypotetical bad game)" is not a compelling argument. The Wii U's library offes much better options.

What?! For better or worse, Watch_Dogs is going to sell a lot regardless of the quality if the final product.

Listen. WiiU needs games, not only Nintendo ones. And needed some of the Watch_dogs' cake even if it was minimal.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I remember when the finished version of Half-Life for the Dreamcast got cancelled whoever cancelled it (I forget who published it) said they saved money. Not sure how, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.

It's because the development costs are only one part of the picture, they have other costs such as royalties for licensees, marketing, production etc. for a released title which are not factored into the development costs and can be significant.

There comes a point you cut your losses, it's called not throwing good money after bad.

Obviously, if true, Ubisoft has done the numbers and decided this is the best course to reduce the losses releasing would entail.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Games sell longer than one month, especially if the next months are November and December.

And they sell longer than one month on the other platforms, too.

A percentage is a percentage. 1% isn't something you spend much money on.

Besides, there's no guarantee that that 1% of sales would not have simply occurred on other platforms had they withheld the Wii U port. In fact, I'd argue it's likely they would have. What's the overlap of Wii U owners with people who also own a 360, PS3, Xbox One, and/or PS4? I'd imagine it's quite high if they are interested in a more "hardcore" game.

ozfunghi

I would think shipping, customs, taxes, ads, etc..? Maybe Ubi can still release it on the e-shop
when pigs fly

Mattias

Banned
Well Wii U is completly dead in Europe so I wouldnt be surprised if this is true. Europe is now Playstation-land.

Nintendo hasnt put 10 dollars into marketing in Europe so its on them. They are done in Europe.

KAP151

"At least something to play (in that case a hypotetical bad game)" is not a compelling argument. The Wii U's library offes much better options.

It is a compelling argument. This being canned on WiiU shows how much faith the last decent third party has left with the WiiU. Nintendo should be ashamed that is has got to this point.

What is there for the first quarter of the year? DK and....?

No matter how much you want to spin it, it is a big loss.

B.O.O.M

As you said, it's an assumption based on the other porting costs.

We know that their launch ports costs where 1.000.000 $ per game (from their conference call: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40043576)

This game should've been released in November, therefore the game should've been fairly advanced for every platform.

Well, it's up to Ubisoft.

But again since WD, like AC is a cross gen game, I see no reason why the porting costs would be significantly higher

Maybe that's the reason why it was delayed..it might not have been anywhere near ready even on the other consoles. It's a possibility

And it might not even be up to Ubi per se. Like you said if the project is almost done, then they might release it due to the consts involved. But without announcing it they put the wiiu version on hold due to the sales of other third party game last year, it would make sense if they decide to put all the resources into the other versions of the game.

But yeah we really need some confirmation first. This could all be a misunderstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom