• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

So even Ubi, the town's bike, is close to ditching the Wii U.

With ZombieU, Blacklist, ACIII and ACIV you can't say Ubi hasn't tried, but at some point you have to cut your losses.

Pretty much. I think Ubi has shown remarkable patience for not ditching Wii U right away. I wonder if they regret not ditching it sooner.

Is there honestly anyone on this forum who owns just a Wii U? With no PS3, 360 or PC? How? Ubisoft might as well just cut the losses now, looking at those AC4 and Splinter Cell sales.

Also, I swear I have only seen Nintendo fans use the word doomed.

The_Lump

Banned
Launch could still be 4-5 months away for all we know.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of how much work they've likely already put in. Seems pointless to can it completely just a couple months from likely going gold.

Ho-hum. Doesn't really affect WiiUs fortunes at this point. It'll get a few stellar 1st and 2nd party efforts and some nice Indie titles over the next year or two and that'll be it.

Kouriozan

Eh, I was on an Ubi career meeting today and they actually included both WiiU and Watch Dogs in their presentation. Lots of rabbids too... So I wouldn't give up hope.

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense cancelling it so late, more money to lose, even for the low sales it will get.

boyshine

Is there honestly anyone on this forum who owns just a Wii U? With no PS3, 360 or PC? How? Ubisoft might as well just cut the losses now, looking at those AC4 and Splinter Cell sales.

What? Nintendo-FANS calling Nintendo doomed? Does not compute...

Raysoul

Not counting my 3DS and 2004 specs singlecore PC, I own a Wii U as a home console.
I would have gotten a PS3, but that is another story

If this is true then I wouldn't expect the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty games either next Nov.

So as a WiiU owner I have exactly one game for 2014 with a solid release date (DKC Tropical Freeze).

This system is a catastrophe of the highest order... When it goes this bad you really are better off just starting again with something new and I say that as someone who bought the console on day one for £350.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Eh, I was on an Ubi career meeting today and they actually included both WiiU and Watch Dogs in their presentation. Lots of rabbids too... So I wouldn't give up hope.

I really hope this is true. I would definitely buy the game.

Disappointed if it's canceled in NA. Was looking forward to just messing with an open-world in off-tv mode like the AC games as well as a TPS on Wii U. Not interested in it enough to get it for PS3. I have zero expectations of any multiplatform games for Wii U so I saw this as the last hurrah. I seem to remember in December Ubisoft commenting that Watch Dogs was coming for Wii U in response to rumors of them withdrawing Nintendo support.

Gannd

Banned

I own a Wii U and a 3DS. I sold my Vita and my gaming Pc because between work, a baby, marriage, and playing D&D, I don't have time for the other consoles. Nintendo offers me the most types of games that I enjoy. There are 3rd party games that I'll buy if they release on the Wii U but if they don't, I'll live.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
the final nail in the coffin

Why Rabbids? Since there hasn't been one since launch (Rabbids Land). Did it address Watch_Dogs being on Wii U specifically?

Not the Wii U version of Watch Dogs though. Just Watch Dogs on one page and a rabbid with a Wii U on the other... So don't understand me wrong

Ah.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If this is true then I wouldn't expect the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty games either next Nov.

So as a WiiU owner I have exactly one game for 2014 with a solid release date (DKC Tropical Freeze).

This system is a catastrophe of the highest order... When it goes this bad you really are better off just starting again with something new and I say that as someone who bought the console on day one for £350.

Thing is, releasing a new console now would only make things worse: they'd be pissing off their current fans, and third-party wouldn't be on board with a new console.

this is really surprising to me. it's hard to believe nintendo would let this happen, IF the game is actually cancelled.

I would actually be more surprised if word came out that Nintendo took actual measures to prevent something like this from happening!

Nintendo just doesn't give a damn about third party multiplatform titles. I think that attitude is really screwing them now.

Duxxy3

UBI leaving Wii U ahead of even my worst case scenario. I thought this would happen at the end of 2014, at the earliest.

JABEE

At this point, I wonder if Nintendo may be done releasing their major titles on WiiU. May be better off diverting development to the WiiU's successor. There is still no Zelda and no Mario Galaxy-esque title for the WiiU.

If this were true, it would be unfortunate, but until Ubisoft releases an official statement saying that Watch_Dogs is cancelled, I'm going to believe that it's still due to be released.

And while it may end up to be the opposite, at this point, a person being unable to pre-order the game at GameStop in Italy means nothing to me here in Canada.

Nonetheless, this has to come as disheartening news for Wii U owners in Europe.

I'm sorry, but what does the bolded have to do with anything? Like yeah, you like your Wii U, that's great and shit but it's not going to change anything and it's not even relevant.

Just tired of the Wii U doom threads that is all. Just want to comment that you could do well with a Wii U is you are a casual gamer like me. Also good as a companion console.
It is in a bad state, but everytime it is blown out of proportion. Like most said, it might not be a good game, the delay might be a clue to that. Sorry to have taken 5 seconds of your life away, I am out anyway, nothing further to discuss around here.

Yes, discounting personal preference you just have to look at the GOTY voting thread. Many people listing only Nintendo system games.

All of the WII U pictures are making me sad :(

WiiU-Sad.jpg

you asked for it lol

In all honesty though... if Ubi stopped supporting the WiiU the only big publisher left would be Activision

What? Nintendo-FANS calling Nintendo doomed? Does not compute...

What he means is that it's often used ironically as a strawman attack against critics of Nintendo. People down on the Wii U more often than not are not that hyperbolic in their assessment of Nintendo's current woes. However, it has become somewhat customary for there to be a thread where something negative is said about Nintendo (i.e. "somebody from EA takes a nonchalant shot at Nintendo"), and the only references to Nintendo being doomed are offered by Nintendo fans who mischaracterize every critique as just more of the same ol', same ol' bad analysis that's been wrong for over a century. "Nintendo's been doomed since 1889 according to critics/analysts!" IsNintendoDoomedClock.gif. And so on...

catmario

WiiU is really in trouble...

I was expected to see Watch Dogs for WiiU, but if this is true... WiiU users not happy, UBISofts will have canceling costs and losing port costs, Nintendo is really unhappy. Every body will unhappy.

Even already promised title getting cancel by publishers! This is reeeally terrible news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are you suggesting it wasn't toast before this cancellation? With or without this game, nothing changes.

Was there anything in my post that made it sound like the specific cancellation of Watch Dogs would be the reason Wii U died?

No, there wasn't.

Skyzard

Banned
^ he meant, different slides - just that they still haven't abandoned the WiiU in general, sorry:

Not the Wii U version of Watch Dogs though. Just Watch Dogs on one page and a rabbid with a Wii U on the other... So don't understand me wrong

Lol at whoever greenlighted Watch_Dogs on WiiU to begin with though? Wut.

Kyo

The Wii U version of Blacklist also counted for 1.6% of <300K sales for the game in North America in the month it released too (via Creamsugar and NPD). Absolutely pitiful numbers.

That is brutal indeed and it would totally explain a cancellation. With sales *this* awful, it's easy to come to the conclusion that if you're still several weeks away from completion of the Wii U version, you'll likely blow more money on it during these last few weeks than you'll ever get back from sales.

superfriar19

Neo Member
Don't know much about Gamestop Italy but I do know a little about Gamestop America and they still have the pre-order available. As does Amazon and Bestbuy.

If they do pull support you can't really blame them.

I don't think most Wii U owners even realize there was an exclusive Rabbids game made for the system. I don't think it got great reviews, but it's like the game never existed.

ozfunghi

At this point, the best Nintendo could do is release a new IP called "Doomed". Something in the vein of Eternal Darkness maybe. If It's also set in the past, i suggest the year 1889 and make it "Doomed since 1889". I'm not even joking. Would show they have a sense of humor, want to reach out to a new demographic, and show self awareness. Ok, i'm somewhat joking, but still.

Enosh

eh so far seems like only italy, there was that member that posted he got canceled but it said Watch dogs: "something" edition so might have just been a special edition? kinda like hardened and prestige not being on PC back in the MW2 days

Maybe they are cancelling as some sort of viral marketing.

The game was never in development all along.
iIGkIuK30SWhU.gif

You are just buying it to what you read on the internet. Aiden is teaching you a message. That is the twist.
m-night-shyamalan.jpg

I don't think most Wii U owners even realize there was an exclusive Rabbids game made for the system. I don't think it got great reviews, but it's like the game never existed.

I don't think they'd hold the fate of a huge game like Watch_Dogs over something as trivial as a Rabbids game.

Riki

At this point, the best Nintendo could do is release a new IP called "Doomed". Something in the vein of Eternal Darkness maybe. If It's also set in the past, i suggest the year 1889 and make it "Doomed since 1889". I'm not even joking. Would show they have a sense of humor, want to reach out to a new demographic, and show self awareness. Ok, i'm somewhat joking, but still.

Now I want someone to make a picture of the original Doom where the WiiU Gamepad is the weapon.

?oe?oe

Isn't that a tiresome party game?

Naminator

Banned
If there is any truth to this it's probably due to the fact that they can't finish the game in time and can't delay it any more, so in an effort to save some human resources/time they scrapped the weakest version(the one that would sell the least)

If thats the case I think I'm going to wait for reviews before I make purchase, I'm not buying any more half assed games, not this early in the generation anyway, can't have bullshit like this to be a standard practice.

Not really. It's not like anyone cared for it anyway.

This rumor is not even confirmed and people already starting with this.

Is there honestly anyone on this forum who owns just a Wii U? With no PS3, 360 or PC? How?

I guess exactly thats the point.
3rd Party publishers are only interessed in the WiiU if they can reach people with the WiiU that they can't reach with Playstation or Xbox or PC.
But such a market(WiiU only people who are interested in 3rd party software) just doesn't exist.
So the WiiU doesn't broaden the market for 3rd parties, it just splits their market into three pieces instead of two and they're just not interested in doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom