• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman removed as 'honorary ambassador' for UN after protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

Supergirl is not cheesecake.

I'm not talking about the TV show.

In the comic she certainly was at various points. I don't think Michael Turner, for example, ever drew a female character without making her cheesecake and he was one of the more significant artists for the character in the last 20 years.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you are going to keel over that quick I guess Gender Equality doesn't mean shit.

What was the reasoning again? Because reading this article makes it sound like wonder woman couldn't be the ambassador fir equality due to her being white and pretty. That is crazy if true.

Giving such title to a fictional character is dumb anyways. Now, a real person like Emma Wattson is better, wasn't she also a UN ambassador or something like that? Hope no one protested just because she is pretty

This was her official costume for the last 3-4 years

2015088-full__1377501905_96.229.1.190.jpg

Giving such title to a fictional character is dumb anyways. Now, a real person like Emma Wattson is better, wasn't she also a UN ambassador or something like that? Hope no one protested just because she is pretty

Emma Watson is a fictional character?

I've only met her once but she could've been a hologram, like Tupac and Miku.

Xe4

Banned

I figure it's kind of like an honorary doctorate. Yeah, you have the title, but that's suddenly not going to make you a tenured professor. It's more of a ceremonial thing.

The fact that she has large breasts shouldn't somehow mean she can't be a good role model for girls. She's not a Barbie doll. She's a fierce but very compassionate, well spoken, intelligent and complex character.

Not only that, but Greg Rucka getting controlling with her image is what reportedly caused Cliff Chiang to stop doing variant covers for the series.

Seems very superficial to me and ironically sends the message that how you look is more import than how you act.

Wonder Woman is one of the best known feminist icon in the world. Sometimes the far left falls for far/alt-right lies that aim is to render feminism as a fringe concept..

..... okay, sure.

Or maybe we shouldn't nominate fictional characters for real world shit.

captainpat

Here's most of the petition.

On 21 October 2016, the Secretary-General of the United Nations decided that the new Honorary Ambassador for the empowerment of women and girls will be Wonder Woman, a fictional character, the rights to which are owned by DC Comics, a for-profit entertainment corporation.

Since that date, over 16,000 people have expressed their concern with this appointment.

Wonder Woman was created 75 years ago. Although the original creators may have intended Wonder Woman to represent a strong and independent “warrior” woman with a feminist message, the reality is that the character’s current iteration is that of a large breasted, white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee high boots –the epitome of a “pin-up” girl. This is the character that the United Nations has decided to represent a globally important issue – that of gender equality and empowerment of women and girls. It appears that this character will be promoted as the face of sustainable development goal 5 for the United Nations at large.

At a time when issues such as gender parity in senior roles and the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse of women and girls is at the top of the United Nation’s agenda, including the “He for She” campaign, this appointment is more than surprising. It is alarming that the United Nations would consider using a character with an overtly sexualized image at a time when the headline news in United States and the world is the objectification of women and girls. The image that Wonder Woman projects (life-size cut outs of which have already appeared at UNHQ) is not culturally encompassing or sensitive –attributes the United Nations expects all its staff members to embody in the core value of respect for diversity.

The message the United Nations is sending to the world with this appointment is extremely disappointing. The bottom line appears to be that the United Nations was unable to find a real life woman that would be able to champion the rights of ALL women on the issue of gender equality and the fight for their empowerment. The United Nations has decided that Wonder Woman is the role model that women and girls all round the world should look up to.

Having strong (living, breathing) female role models is a critical aspect of the goal of empowerment of women and girls. If the United Nations would like a list of incredible extraordinary women that would formidably carry out this role, we could surely be able to come up with a list from which the Secretary-General could choose.

Since 2007, the Secretary-General has launched campaign after campaign under the banner of the empowerment of women and girls. However, the United Nations cannot on the one hand claim that “providing women and girls with equal access to education, healthcare, decent work, and representation in political and economic decision-making processes will fuel sustainable economies and benefit societies and humanity at large,” and on the other, award this key ambassadorial role to Wonder Woman, relegating the importance of the issue of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls to the previous appointment of fictional characters for ambassadorial positions, such as Tinkerbell (Ambassador of Green) and Winnie the Pooh (Ambassador of Friendship).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Good.

Has the world really ran out of real women with great achievements that require acknowledgment that the UN must use a fictional, cartoon character to act as a representative role model for women?

Xe4

Banned
..... okay, sure.

I mean, fictional characters have a large impact on society. Shit you post in a form about video games, you know that. I don't see the problem with a ceremonial award like this. It's not like they're gonna ask Wonder Woman's opinion on the famine in North Korea or anything, lol.

Good.

Has the world really ran out of real women with great achievements that require acknowledgment that the UN must use a fictional, cartoon character to act as a representative role model for women?

No... but does that exclude fictional characters from the title? It's undeniable WW has had an impact on the feminist movement in America and elsewhere. Should that not be recognized?

I feel like the issue is more that she's a fictional character and there's plenty of actual women who would be better for this. Also, the people who were mad about this felt like it was a slap in the face after a man was picked to be the next Secretary General.

I don't get why everyone in the thread is upset, I think it's kind of dumb to use WW instead of a real person.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No... but does that exclude fictional characters from the title? It's undeniable WW has had an impact on the feminist movement in America and elsewhere. Should that not be recognized?

Because that post should belong to a real women that have accomplished inspiring and great things, in which this world has aplenty, instead of filled by a fictional character created by some multi-million commercial company.

In my views, it really cheapens the whole thing and feels like a degradation to what the post is representing. It's like saying "no real women are worth this post, so let's use a cartoon fictional woman instead!"

Angel_DvA

I'm not sure what is so unbelievable about people not feeling represented by a flawless white supermodel

I don't understand why people need to identify themselves to other people like this, it's even worse when it comes to fiction, people should be inspiration by their acts, not by their looks...

TSM

Having read the petition I don't see where anyone can really disagree with it.

I don't understand why people need to identify themselves to other people like this, it's even worse when it comes to fiction, people should be inspiration by their acts, not by their looks...

Except Wonder Woman was being held up as a role model, AKA someone that people should not only be able to identify with but also strive to emulate. Also if you don't read Wonder Woman comics she is in fact just a brunette barbie doll in a skimpy red white and blue outfit. There are no "acts" other than in media which the vast majority of the world's populace does not partake.

Azoor

Having read the petition I don't see where anyone can really disagree with it.

Except Wonder Woman was being held up as a role model, AKA someone that people should not only be able to identify with but also strive to emulate. Also if you don't read Wonder Woman comics she is in fact just a brunette barbie doll in a skimpy red white and blue outfit. There are no "acts" other than in media which the vast majority of the world's populace does not partake.

Do you actually think that Wonder Woman look like a pin up girl ?

The fact that she has large breasts shouldn't somehow mean she can't be a good role model for girls. She's not a Barbie doll. She's a fierce but very compassionate, well spoken, intelligent and complex character.

Not only that, but Greg Rucka getting controlling with her image is what reportedly caused Cliff Chiang to stop doing variant covers for the series.

Seems very superficial to me and ironically sends the message that how you look is more import than how you act.
Frank Cho stopped doing variants. Cliff Chiang is like the exact opposite of Cho.
..... okay, sure.

So your saying you never had to look towards a fictional character, especially a superhero when life gets you down?
I feel like the issue is more that she's a fictional character and there's plenty of actual women who would be better for this. Also, the people who were mad about this felt like it was a slap in the face after a man was picked to be the next Secretary General.

I don't get why everyone in the thread is upset, I think it's kind of dumb to use WW instead of a real person.
You'd be surprised how much people are influenced by fictional characters. It's why representation has become an important topic in comics.

Small Victory Rejected, Would Rather Have Nothing.

Honestly, people have to learn to appreciate the small victories more. We can't really progress if we criticize every small move forward.

Aly-Raisman.jpg

Calling a leotard with a cape cheesecake?

Sami+

Would've been nice to have an actual person who did something for the cause lol, you kidding me with this? Right move.

Besides, if we HAVE to pick a fictional character that represents "a strong and independent woman with a feminist message", Rosie is a better pick than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman kinda sucks.

464px-We_Can_Do_It!.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yes, the wording in the petition is quite poor. A lack of diversity in media is a legitimate problem, but blaming a singular character for being white is ridiculous.

Also, I agree that many girls consider her iconic. My daughter, for example, is impressed by Wonder Woman and Supergirl even though both of them have been portrayed as cheesecake at various times.

Small Victory Rejected, Would Rather Have Nothing.

Honestly, people have to learn to appreciate the small victories more. We can't really progress if we criticize every small move forward.

Aly-Raisman.jpg

Calling a leotard with a cape cheesecake?

Wait I thought cheesecakes were pies made of cream cheese, when has have Super Girl and Wonder Woman been portrayed as pies and not women? What are you talking about?

digdug2k

And this, again, is why Democrats won't be in power for the next decade. FTR, this is the WW little girls love with right now:
th

Xe4

Banned
Because that post should belong to a real women that have accomplished inspiring and great things, in which this world has aplenty, instead of filled by a fictional character created by some multi-million commercial company.

In my views, it really cheapens the whole thing and feels like a degradation to what the post is representing. It's like saying "no real women are worth this post, so let's use a cartoon fictional woman instead!"

Would've been nice to have an actual person who did something for the cause lol, you kidding me with this? Right move.

Besides, if we HAVE to pick a fictional character that represents "a strong and independent woman with a feminist message", Rosie is a better pick than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman kinda sucks.

464px-We_Can_Do_It!.jpg

You say this as if WW is somehow getting this in place of a real woman. That's not how it works. It's not an awards show; WW wasn't chosen over Dolores Huerta to be an honorary ambassador. This was something the UN did as a 75th anniversary of WW to show their appreciation for being a feminist icon since the 70's.

Fictional people are given awards and recognition all the time. That's because people look up to fictional characters, sometimes as much or more than people in real life. The media has a huge impact in our lives, and pointing out positive aspects of that media can be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom