• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman removed as 'honorary ambassador' for UN after protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumplion

And this, again, is why Democrats won't be in power for the next decade. FTR, this is the WW little girls love with right now:
th

Yup. Liberals in general are all-or-nothing, if it doesn't do what they quite want then it's worse than useless. Conservatives will accept the strangest bedfellows so long as they get something closer to what they want.

All that said, this whole thing right now is like, what. I half wonder how many signatures are genuine, it's hardly above 4Chan or other places to go for these, or other weird, petitions for the hearty lols. I guess I see the point behind it, but like people are saying, Wonder Woman is a pretty standard empowered woman feminist icon, even if there are some (wait for it) problematic elements to her usual portrayal in comics.

"Superman is such an inspirational character. He's kind and passionate and selfishly saves people. Everyone should strive to be just like him."

"Would you nominate to have him be a part of the UN to represent those ideals?"

"Pssssshhhhhhhhhhhh, of course not. He's just a comic book character. People should look up to real people."

Oh, I see. When I was a kid and saw those clothes with red/blue/white with the stars, I basically saw her as a female Captain America.
Her new outfit doesn't have stars and whites on them. It's just red and blue and it looks more like an Amazonian warrior outfit.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Would've been nice to have an actual person who did something for the cause lol, you kidding me with this? Right move.

Besides, if we HAVE to pick a fictional character that represents "a strong and independent woman with a feminist message", Rosie is a better pick than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman kinda sucks.

Wonder Woman is known by girls all around the world. I don't think any german girl knows about Rosie.

Small Victory Rejected, Would Rather Have Nothing.

Honestly, people have to learn to appreciate the small victories more. We can't really progress if we criticize every small move forward.

Aly-Raisman.jpg

Calling a leotard with a cape cheesecake?

She's wearing that because it's the best outfit for what she is doing. Supergirl isn't dressed that way because it's the best idea.

Polari

I actually agree with the SJWs on this one. There's plenty of real-life role models who more appropriate than overly sexualised comic book characters who promote an unrealistic body image.

What?

I think you missed the point here. Avatars on some internet forum arent a fucking role models by the UN.

And the UN can't tell the world that fictional characters can't have positive effects on people.
I actually agree with the SJWs on this one. There's plenty of real-life role models who more appropriate than overly sexualised comic book characters who promote an unrealistic body image.
Oh please do go on..............

hidys

How come you guys use cartoons and comic book characters as your avatars? Does a real person not represent you?

An avatar on an internet forum is not the same thing as an honorary UN Ambassador. This is a silly question.

And I say that as someone who is okay with Wonder Woman being a UN Ambassador but can understand why some might be upset with the decision.

An avatar on an internet forum is not the same thing as an honorary UN Ambassador. This is a silly question.

And I say that as someone who is okay with Wonder Woman being a UN Ambassador but can understand why some might be upset with the decision.

Fair point.

Although I'd argue most people, at least on here, choose an avatar that resonates well with them, even if it is a joke.

KRod-57

Banned
When the decision was first made my comment on the matter was that it isn't of importance because the "honorary ambassador" role is purely symbolic, and Wonder Woman is seen as a symbol for female empowerment. I think the same applies for the character's removal from the honorary ambassador role. It's nothing worth getting upset about because it's purely symbolic

patapuf

When the decision was first made my comment on the matter was that it isn't of importance because the "honorary ambassador" role is purely symbolic, and Wonder Woman is seen as a symbol for female empowerment. I think the same applies for the character's removal from the honorary ambassador role. It's nothing worth getting upset about because it's purely symbolic

Yeah, whether WW is an"honorary ambassador" or not changes very little about her being iconic and a role model (and if she isn't, the title ain't going to change that either.)

What a shame.
She might be a fictional character but there are hundreds of writers and artists behind her who contributed in creating a powerful symbol for women and they deserve recognition. Sure, there are people more deserving of this honor but this campaign was to empower young girls and kids look up to superheroes, they are very meaningful to them. The media we are exposed to as children shapes us and WW could do a lot of good if more kids were aware of her.

My 10 year old nephew loves superheroes and I'm the cool uncle who buys him a ton of comics and dvds. When I bought him the WW animated movie, he groaned: "but it's for girls!" He watched it reluctantly and now he's constantly asking me to buy him the nonexistent sequel.

No one wears a superhero outfit because it's the best outfit for what they are doing.

Yeah, superheroes wear their outfits because the artist deem it aesthetically pleasing or thematically relevant. Thus naturally some artists use it as a chance to draw these characters in a manner that emphasizes stereotypical sexual attractiveness.

Which is what the first post in this string of discussion basically said.

Trokil

Banned
So the UN has the same discussions as tumblr?

Well, no wonder the conservatives are laughing their ass off. And the saddest thing, the UN tells pretty much everybody, it matters how you look, not what you do.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
"Although the original creators may have intended Wonder Woman to represent a strong and independent 'warrior' woman with a feminist message, the reality is that the character's current iteration is that of a large breasted, white woman of impossible proportions,"

"Stop judging women by how they look! A big-breasted white woman of impossible proportions can not be representative of feminism!"

The goddamn irony is hopefully not lost on the petitioners.

Kinyou

What a load of nonsense.

Wonder woman was actually not a bad pick

rBGIvt8.jpg

But I guess she's just too white and large breasted?

Sounds like they've got the image of the Linda Carter-era Wonder Woman stuck in their head. Because as of right now their description doesn't match up with the current iteration despite them saying something different.

But I'd be curious as to what fictional (or factual) woman meets their every requirement.

TBiddy

Sounds like they've got the image of the Linda Carter-era Wonder Woman stuck in their head. Because as of right now their description doesn't match up with the current iteration despite them saying something different.

But I'd be curious as to what fictional (or factual) woman meets their every requirement.

I assume someone non-white with small breasts, judging from the reasoning used.

Khoryos

"Stop judging women by how they look! A big-breasted white woman of impossible proportions can not be representative of feminism!"

The goddamn irony is hopefully not lost on the petitioners.

I don't know, people still think fighting body shaming with "Real Women have Curves!" was a good idea - I think we're lost to irony at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom