• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman removed as 'honorary ambassador' for UN after protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
For shit like this at times some feminist can't be taken seriously

Don't blame the petition with the 45,000 signatures for this, blame the UN for capitulating to it. If they felt there was no merit to any of their critics objections and it was worth it, then perhaps they should've stood by their decision.

She wasn't taking the position away from anybody else, Jesus fuck that's all that needs to be said. UN was celebrating the 75th anniversary of a feminist icon. The "why not somebody else" arguments make no fucking sense.

The situation is a binary event between the choices of "celebrate a historic female character" or "do nothing".

sibarraz

Banned
Don't blame the petition with the 45,000 signatures for this, blame the UN for capitulating to it. If they felt there was no merit to any of their critics objections and it was worth it, then perhaps they should've stood by their decision.

At least for me criticizing her for being white and with ridiculous proportions is so damn stupid that I can't grasp how is that a negative.

For example, when I was a kid I lived in a culture where boys are teached that girls are weak and all that, then I once saw Chyna in the WWF beating mens and I realized that this idea was stupid and that girls/womens could kick ass (Even knowing that was staged). And she was my favorite femenine wrestler, above all the other girls in the roster that were pure eye candy.

At no point I cared about her being white, with an impossible body, all I cared was that she was awesome.

Tosyn_88

I suppose we can be positive about it and see it as the beginning of a discussion. I have always had an issue with Wonder Woman's outfit especially the upper bit. I have seen that over the years though, DC has made some effort to address that even from the movies, giving her something other-worldly with Greek hints but the top corset looking thing looks a bit out of place.

I think for the protesters, they haven't actually had the opportunity to look at the character in-depth before getting out their pitchforks. I suppose it goes with the saying that people will judge you immediately by your appearance and this appears to be the case here. Wonder Woman isn't from our world so her selection of outfit should feel out of place because she isn't from here and she doesn't share our political views on things, perhaps in her civilian outfit yes, but for her emissary attire, it is a symbol of her culture interacting with ours (USA) and it feels disappointing to reduce her to ''White Woman with big boobs''

I hope DC responds to this in a positive way because this can actually become a line of ongoing discussion which can yield positive results. I wouldn't see this as a sad day for Diana, but rather a point in her ongoing narrative which had lasted 75 years

Tosyn_88

At least for me criticizing her for being white and with ridiculous proportions is so damn stupid that I can't grasp how is that a negative.

For example, when I was a kid I lived in a culture where boys are teached that girls are weak and all that, then I once saw Chyna in the WWF beating mens and I realized that this idea was stupid and that girls/womens could kick ass (Even knowing that was staged). And she was my favorite femenine wrestler, above all the other girls in the roster that were pure eye candy.

At no point I cared about her being white, with an impossible body, all I cared was that she was awesome.

I don't think we should be quick to dismiss what offends other people. You have to realise that the critic perhaps isn't coming from one angle but from many especially from people who perhaps don't share the same cultural sensibilities as the western countries. The UN is supposed to represent the whole world not just the west so I can understand where some of those critics with regards her outfit, however I do agree with you on some level that by focusing on her body, it sounds a bit petty

I suppose we can be positive about it and see it as the beginning of a discussion. I have always had an issue with Wonder Woman's outfit especially the upper bit. I have seen that over the years though, DC has made some effort to address that even from the movies, giving her something other-worldly with Greek hints but the top corset looking thing looks a bit out of place.

I think for the protesters, they haven't actually had the opportunity to look at the character in-depth before getting out their pitchforks. I suppose it goes with the saying that people will judge you immediately by your appearance and this appears to be the case here. Wonder Woman isn't from our world so her selection of outfit should feel out of place because she isn't from here and she doesn't share our political views on things, perhaps in her civilian outfit yes, but for her emissary attire, it is a symbol of her culture interacting with ours (USA) and it feels disappointing to reduce her to ''White Woman with big boobs''

I hope DC responds to this in a positive way because this can actually become a line of ongoing discussion which can yield positive results. I wouldn't see this as a sad day for Diana, but rather a point in her ongoing narrative which had lasted 75 years
Rucka and his artists and DC are gonna keep doing what they've always been doing. They did nothing wrong. How they tackle Diana isn't suddenly gonna change cuz a bunch of protesters who haven't read a comic book in more than 10 years decided she looks inappropriate.
Lunella Lafayette
Edit: Woops. Nevermind.

Squalor

I'm just saying both Superman and Wonder Woman are essentially invulnerable, only one of them wears short skirts, or previously tight short shorts and tube tops
I see women dressed like that all the time, though.

I'm not defending the ridiculous armor bikinis that pop up in comics and video games and anime, but Wonder Woman's outfit isn't that ridiculous.
Guys, I'm pretty certain Wonder Woman didn't get her feelings hurt over this. I'm sure she appreciates your concerns and support, but I promise she'll be OK.
What does that straw man have to do with how ridiculous and outrage-seeking this petition was?

Tosyn_88

Rucka and his artists and DC are gonna keep doing what they've always been doing. They did nothing wrong. How they tackle Diana isn't suddenly gonna change cuz a bunch of protesters who haven't read a comic book in more than 10 years decided she looks inappropriate.

Before FFXV came out a lot of her hardcore fans would have wanted that to happen.

LOL

But then that would be disappointing if they take this with deaf ears. I know sometimes the critic can seem petty and silly but I feel there is a little legitimacy here for review. Also on the note of reviews, it is important to understand that we are dealing with the world stage here not just USA or western countries because I feel that there is this bridge where people will say why should she change because some people are not happy about it.

What is most often forgotten is that the world is way bigger than USA, UK, France, Germany etc. and these characters while fictional do reach those far reaches of Indonesia, Malawi so it is important to note that these fictional characters do play a role as much as people often dismiss. A fictional character isn't a person, it is quite often than not an IDEA of a person, the IDEA itself has way more power than any person.

People through history have always tried to leave a legacy based on an IDEA because an IDEA never goes away even if the people or culture have passed away. Just imagine having Wonder Woman in the UN building in the middle east for example, how does that speak to the cultural sensibilities for Women there??

Again, I feel DC has to respond positively to this because it is an opportunity to actually realise that their character has far reaching places than they imagine. Also speaking of critics, why is Wonder Woman White?? Same applies to Superman too, this is a legitimate question that I don't think has ever happened in DC headquarters. If an alien or unique race of people came to our world, why would they be automatically be Caucasian??

I'm sure Gal Gadot is disappointed.

I'm sure a Hollywood actress in the lead role of an over 100 million dollar budget film with 100 millions of dollars of marketing and merchandise worldwide will be fine.

What does that straw man have to do with how ridiculous and outrage-seeking this petition was?

There has always been outrage-seeking petitions. The differences are the one's where they stuck by their decisions and the others where they decided to capitulate.

Trokil

Banned
I'm just saying both Superman and Wonder Woman are essentially invulnerable, only one of them wears short skirts, or previously tight short shorts and tube tops

You do realize that this is ancient Greek armor, it looked like this for males.

Hoplit.png

The artists actually did their research. But of course they should change that and the cultural background for Wonder Woman because somehow this is wrong now.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't think we should be quick to dismiss what offends other people. You have to realise that the critic perhaps isn't coming from one angle but from many especially from people who perhaps don't share the same cultural sensibilities as the western countries. The UN is supposed to represent the whole world not just the west so I can understand where some of those critics with regards her outfit, however I do agree with you on some level that by focusing on her body, it sounds a bit petty

Fair Enough, that's a very good point, cultural perception, as a south american I don't care for skin color, but in the USA maybe is a more sensitive problem for all the trouble story there, and also how cosmopolitan is that country, another countries from the world will have different visions too.

Still, is a big problem to discard people by some attributes, I doubt that there is some kind of woman that is universally beloved by everyone and that's all the checklists from everyone, the big focus of the ambasaddor should be a femenine figure that shows empowerment, maybe WW fails at that from being a fictionalized character

kmfdmpig

Fair Enough, that's a very good point, cultural perception, as a south american I don't care for skin color, but in the USA maybe is a more sensitive problem for all the trouble story there, and also how cosmopolitan is that country, another countries from the world will have different visions too.

Still, is a big problem to discard people by some attributes, I doubt that there is some kind of woman that is universally beloved by everyone and that's all the checklists from everyone, the big focus of the ambasaddor should be a femenine figure that shows empowerment, maybe WW fails at that from being a fictionalized character

Exactly. The goal should be to have a range of different role models or honorary ambassadors to reflect different cultures/views, not to exclude one because it does not appeal to every single culture on the planet. After all, there are no singular people or characters that would pass that litmus test.

Trokil

Banned
What about the Spartan Armor? >.>

That was crap, it would have looked pretty much like this as well. Probably without the red undergarment.

spartan_hoplite.jpg

Which warrior would expose his chest like that?

Actually if they would really make Wonder Woman into an amazon warrior, she would have been probably be topless and had one of her breasts removed to shoot the bow more accurate. (according to the legend)

I agree with the sentiment, but i would rather act towards better iterative representatives of feminist values since it seems like Wonder Woman wouldn't last very long.

Purkake4

Banned
But then that would be disappointing if they take this with deaf ears. I know sometimes the critic can seem petty and silly but I feel there is a little legitimacy here for review. Also on the note of reviews, it is important to understand that we are dealing with the world stage here not just USA or western countries because I feel that there is this bridge where people will say why should she change because some people are not happy about it.

What is most often forgotten is that the world is way bigger than USA, UK, France, Germany etc. and these characters while fictional do reach those far reaches of Indonesia, Malawi so it is important to note that these fictional characters do play a role as much as people often dismiss. A fictional character isn't a person, it is quite often than not an IDEA of a person, the IDEA itself has way more power than any person.

People through history have always tried to leave a legacy based on an IDEA because an IDEA never goes away even if the people or culture have passed away. Just imagine having Wonder Woman in the UN building in the middle east for example, how does that speak to the cultural sensibilities for Women there??

Again, I feel DC has to respond positively to this because it is an opportunity to actually realise that their character has far reaching places than they imagine. Also speaking of critics, why is Wonder Woman White?? Same applies to Superman too, this is a legitimate question that I don't think has ever happened in DC headquarters. If an alien or unique race of people came to our world, why would they be automatically be Caucasian??
This.

Ulysses 31

That was crap, it would have looked pretty much like this as well.

spartan_hoplite.jpg

Which warrior would expose his chest like that?

Actually if they would really make Wonder Woman into an amazon warrior, she would have been probably be topless and had one of her breasts removed to shoot the bow more accurate. (according to the legend)

I was being facetious but the point is that not only women get sexualized in hollywood/comics.

People through history have always tried to leave a legacy based on an IDEA because an IDEA never goes away even if the people or culture have passed away. Just imagine having Wonder Woman in the UN building in the middle east for example, how does that speak to the cultural sensibilities for Women there?? Same applies to Superman too, this is a legitimate question that I don't think has ever happened in DC headquarters.

If an alien or unique race of people came to our world, why would they be automatically be Caucasian??

Again, I feel DC has to respond positively to this because it is an opportunity to actually realise that their character has far reaching places than they imagine. Also speaking of critics, why is Wonder Woman White??
=
No, there really isn't any legitimacy. You said a whole bunch of absolute nothing until we got to the second last part where if aliens come to Earth, we go back to being white part. At least be honest with your bullshit complaint instead of padding it with fake concern around your actual issue. You do realize that we can have superheroes that are white and also others in other colors right? You don't need to remove the white one so minorities can feel more inclusive.

I have no problem with the ideal that they remove her because she's not real even if I disagree with the ideal by the way. The actual reasoning on why they did it is comical.
Well, who did they replace her with?
Hopefully someone that isn't white or doesn't have big tits.

Piers said:
Screw Superman and his impossible gains.
I'm personally offended by his majestic, sexualized attributes as a male. It's not relate-able to me and won't be until he stops having a six pack.

You cannot honestly believe the discussion is actually about whether Wonder Woman will be fine.

No, but if the argument that she shouldn't have been removed because she's a good role model for girls. Then this is almost meaningless, being the majority of people are aware of Wonder Woman and if not, she has a huge movie coming out next year with a massive worldwide budgeted advertising campaign and merchandise. Her iconic status will be still be intact.

Infact, I think it's safe to say, that the majority of people aren't even aware of this and hadn't even been aware of Wonder Woman as an honorary ambassador before she was removed.

Then there's the cynic in me that believes this was nothing more than an ad campaign for Time Warner and the DC universe.

So again, what have we lost by the removal of this American fictional character as an honorary ambassador for an international organization?

Squalor

No one character could represent all minorities or majorities, so it seems ridiculous to capitulate to this demand.

If there can't be even be one for the reasons the U.N. chose, then there has to be none.
I'm personally offended by his majestic, sexualized attributes as a male. It's not relate-able to me and won't be until he stops having a six pack.
His super powers offend me as an Earthling.

Trokil

Banned
I was being facetious but the point is that not only women get sexualized in hollywood/comics.

Yes, but who cares, it's a fictional character. If she is lesbian into bdsm or whatever, who cares? It is the artist who decides. When did we start to proclaim that fictional characters have to look a certain way? If you start with that, you end like those idiots bullying a fan artist into a suicide attempt.

Wonder Woman is a symbol for female empowerment for 75 years now. Who cares who she looks in a certain timeframe or a certain artist makes her look. At least two generation of women knew her as the female superhero and as an icon. Questioning this on because of superficial reasons is pretty stupid in my opinion.

kmfdmpig

But then that would be disappointing if they take this with deaf ears. I know sometimes the critic can seem petty and silly but I feel there is a little legitimacy here for review.

Again, I feel DC has to respond positively to this because it is an opportunity to actually realise that their character has far reaching places than they imagine.

The problem is that the critics in this case likely haven't read any Wonder Woman comics in decades and their "critique" is based off of superficial nonsense and misconception. DC is not obligated to listen to incoherent rants by the perpetually outraged crowd simply because they are upset. The last several runs of Wonder Woman have been empowering and far from the bimbo stereotype that some of the critics have in their mind.

For the other critics that are upset simply that the character's white - that ship has sailed. There should indeed be more of a focus on creating diverse characters, but let's not single out a character made 75 years ago for scorn because comics since then have done a poor job of creating/developing/supporting characters of color.

No, but if the argument that she shouldn't have been removed because she's a good role model for girls. Then this is almost meaningless, being the majority of people are aware of Wonder Woman and if not, she has a huge movie coming out next year with a massive worldwide budgeted advertising campaign and merchandise. Her iconic status will be still be intact.

Infact, I think it's safe to say, that the majority of people aren't even aware of this and hadn't even been aware of Wonder Woman as an honorary ambassador before she was removed.

Then there's the cynic in me that believes this was nothing more than an ad campaign for Time Warner and the DC universe.

So again, what have we lost by the removal of this American fictional character as an honorary ambassador for an international organization?

I don't think anyone is saying that this is the most pressing issue of our time (certainly not in a year of Trump, Syria or Brexit). Those that think this was a dumb decision are simply expressing the view that the criticism of Wonder Woman in the petition/some of the posts is poor and that the capitulation by the UN was dumb.

No one character could represent all minorities or majorities, so it seems ridiculous to capitulate to this demand.

If there can't be even be one for the reasons the U.N. chose, then there has to be none.

I agree, but why is it the one's that are, happen to be White?

His super powers offend me as an Earthling.
I forgot he's not even originally from Earth. Another - for him not being relatable. Can we have Trump deport him already?

lightskintwin said:
Because writers have done a shitty job making marketable superheroes that are of color. Also a lot of the 'first' heroes were white so they had little competition at the time and build their cache over many decades. The goal is to write good, marketable characters (of color) that are going to sell, not bitch and whine that the current successful white ones are successful.

Tosyn_88

From my original post, I did acknowledge that the people who are complaining are showing their ignorance of the character by reducing her to just woman with big boobs. Wonder woman has had years and years of growth which a lot of great artist has had time to craft. I don't think she fails as an IDEA, because at the end of the day, the core of who she is runs through all her material, however I think the focus from the complaint focuses on her attire which I can kind of understand. The issue then for DC isn't necessarily changing her as an IDEA but modifying her as part of a continued discussion. At the end of the day, we all want BALANCE and I think this is a discussion for Diana to grow and reach that BALANCE

Ulysses 31

Yes, but who cares, it's a fictional character. If she is lesbian into bdsm or whatever, who cares? It is the artist who decides. When did we start to proclaim that fictional characters have to look a certain way? If you start with that, you end like those idiots bullying a fan artist into a suicide attempt.

Wonder Woman is a symbol for female empowerment for 75 years now. Who cares who she looks in a certain timeframe or a certain artist makes her look. At least two generation of women knew her as the female superhero and as an icon. Questioning this on because of superficial reasons is pretty stupid in my opinion.

People who think that well know fictional characters send a message about standards to conform to appearantly do which I think is silly.

It's a fictional world, anything goes what the creator wants to.

Squalor

This one was white. But she was also a woman and queer.

Start a petition to get a black hero there.

Then get another petition when Asian people are unhappy, so get Naruto up there.

Then get another petition when women are unhappy that there are two men and only one woman.

I mean, this can all snowball into ridiculousness really easily.

Are the majority of well-known comic heroes white? Yes. That's because they were created by white men in the middle of the 20th century.

We are making strides now to add more non-token diversity to the universes, which is great.

I don't see an issue with the U.N.'s choosing one who happened to be white as a fictional ambassador, though.

The petition should have been for more fictional ambassadors, not to get rid of Wonder Woman because she doesn't represent everyone. No one represents everyone.

Kinyou

That was crap, it would have looked pretty much like this as well. Probably without the red undergarment.

http://picload.org/image/ogrrpc/spartan_hoplite.jpg[IMG]

[b]Which warrior would expose his chest like that?[/b]
[/QUOTE]
According to Caesar there were Gauls who actually fought naked.

Ardenyal

People have this weird idea in their head that role models should be a mirror representation of themselves. Lack of empathy to be able to relate to people of different body type, race, gender etc.

Has any major comic publisher developed a character intentionally to be ugly, to be empowering towards those who might not have a perfectly-proportioned face, or might have some scars or genetic defects? Why don't those people see any representation? Everyone has to be beautiful.

I know Marvel has gone in some weird directions at times with X-Men, but I don't think there's ever been a sense of "yeah, that character's ugly just like me!"

Marvel's been redoing a number of its long-standing characters like making a young, black, female Iron Man, black Spider-Man, female Thor. What if DC followed suit and made a flat-chested, black, visually unappealing Wonder Woman?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean, the criticisms aren't inherently invalid. If we're talking about modern feminism, intersectionality (body types, race) is kind of the main focus after decades of ignorance to that and classic interpretations of WW (dunno why people are bringing up the live action movie version, that's not who the ambassador is) aren't a great example of that.

It's not ideal, but they're also presumably choosing a character that's as popular as can be so WW seems like a decent middle ground. And a lot of the concerns could be solved using unique artwork for the UN that tackles those issues, because thats probably going to go a lot further than stories that not everyone is going to read.

Trokil

Banned
According to Caesar there were Gauls who actually fought naked.

Not everything in de bello gallico is either true or written by Caesar. Caesar used it as a propaganda tool and some people have changed stuff later, like the moose who have legs without joints.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Has any major comic publisher developed a character intentionally to be ugly, to be empowering towards those who might not have a perfectly-proportioned face, or might have some scars or genetic defects? Why don't those people see any representation? Everyone has to be beautiful.

I know Marvel has gone in some weird directions at times with X-Men, but I don't think there's ever been a sense of "yeah, that character's ugly just like me!"

Marvel's been redoing a number of its long-standing characters like making a young, black, female Iron Man, black Spider-Man, female Thor. What if DC followed suit and made a flat-chested, black, visually unappealing Wonder Woman?
They would receive flak for creating an ugly black woman. "Why do black women need to be ugly? Why can't they be gorgeous like the white Wonder Woman?"

If you're going to do it, you need to it separate; a black Wonder Woman with average boobs, an Asian Catwoman, and a Caucasian flatchested ugly Poison Ivy. And Batgirl with Asian, African and European ancestry with big boobs so the heavy-chested women don't feel left out.

Tosyn_88

The problem is that the critics in this case likely haven't read any Wonder Woman comics in decades and their "critique" is based off of superficial nonsense and misconception. DC is not obligated to listen to incoherent rants by the perpetually outraged crowd simply because they are upset. The last several runs of Wonder Woman have been empowering and far from the bimbo stereotype that some of the critics have in their mind.

For the other critics that are upset simply that the character's white - that ship has sailed. There should indeed be more of a focus on creating diverse characters, but let's not single out a character made 75 years ago for scorn because comics since then have done a poor job of creating/developing/supporting characters of color..

You know, if we continue to take a stance of not listening at all, nobody or nothing will ever get reviewed. Do you know that back when Slavery was legal, they asked citizens of a town if it was morally right to own slaves, guess what their answer was? An overwhelming YES

Note that I already said they is a great ignorance from the critics of Wonder Woman in this particular case, that is very evident from the boobs comment. However to outright dismiss them is to not cross the bridge for GROWTH.

If we all just sat in our own corners, we will never know or engage in any form of growth. Diana was made years ago for a predominantly white western community but we have moved on 75 years away from that. Believe it or not, Wonder Woman has a presence in South Africa, in Philippines, in Ecuador, in every country you haven't even considered. This penetration isn't just one of a product, it is an IDEA and some countries can see it as an infiltration of their own culture which is why sometimes you see bans on goods like that in some middle eastern countries.

Which is why I am stressing that DC has an opportunity to take RESPONSIBILTY and realise that their creation isn't just some fictional character but an avenue to engage in a discussion that needs to happen. By ignoring it, DC is essentially not taking RESPONSIBILITY which is a thing often done by multinational corporations operating in foreign countries, a stigma that has made them almost a caricature of doom (Oil Corps).

With regards to her ethnicity, to be honest, it isn't a big deal for me personally but if I were to imagine how she will look creatively, I would make her and her people ethnically ambiguous. There is a lot of people who exist today who are ethnically ambiguous but that is just me. We don't want to continue this trend of White Jesus character with an American flag coming to save the world thing but what do I know

Litan

People have this weird idea in their head that role models should be a mirror representation of themselves. Lack of empathy to be able to relate to people of different body type, race, gender etc.
I can relate to people of different races, genders, body type just fine. What I can't relate to is the models being represented to us being white the vast majority of the time.

Maybe you're the one lacking in empathy.

kmfdmpig

You know, if we continue to take a stance of not listening at all, nobody or nothing will ever get reviewed. Do you know that back when Slavery was legal, they asked citizens of a town if it was morally right to own slaves, guess what their answer was? An overwhelming YES

Note that I already said they is a great ignorance from the critics of Wonder Woman in this particular case, that is very evident from the boobs comment. However to outright dismiss them is to not cross the bridge for GROWTH.

If we all just sat in our own corners, we will never know or engage in any form of growth. Diana was made years ago for a predominantly white western community but we have moved on 75 years away from that. Believe it or not, Wonder Woman has a presence in South Africa, in Philippines, in Ecuador, in every country you haven't even considered. This penetration isn't just one of a product, it is an IDEA and some countries can see it as an infiltration of their own culture which is why sometimes you see bans on goods like that in some middle eastern countries.

Which is why I am stressing that DC has an opportunity to take RESPONSIBILTY and realise that their creation isn't just some fictional character but an avenue to engage in a discussion that needs to happen. By ignoring it, DC is essentially not taking RESPONSIBILITY which is a thing often done by multinational corporations operating in foreign countries, a stigma that has made them almost a caricature of doom (Oil Corps).

With regards to her ethnicity, to be honest, it isn't a big deal for me personally but if I were to imagine how she will look creatively, I would make her and her people ethnically ambiguous. There is a lot of people who exist today who are ethnically ambiguous but that is just me. We don't want to continue this trend of White Jesus character with an American flag coming to save the world thing but what do I know

If criticism is invalid or based on ignorance then it should not be listened to. Meeting people with unreasonable demands is not a step toward growth, but a leap toward folly.

DC listened to critics back when they had legitimate critiques and the character/book improved because of it. These critics are using images/depictions that are decades old and arguing out of ignorance, so ignoring them rather than listening to them is the right call.

The fact that people in other countries know the character does not mean that she should change her race to somehow accommodate those other cultures, particularly since she cannot be white/African/Asian/South American all at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom