• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SaM44Qa.png

What is Fastlane? Fastlane will consist of professional wrestling matches that involve wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds or storylines that play out on WWE's primary television programs, Raw and SmackDown. Wrestlers will portray heroes or villains as they follow a series of events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. (source: wikipedia)

The gimmick of this PPV is literally that it is the PPV that directly precedes WrestleMania. Despite this, only one match apparently has any bearing on WrestleMania.

ensplsq.jpg

Alberto Del Rio v. Kalisto (c) for the United States Championship (2 out of 3 falls)

This is a rematch that we will be seeing for the fifth time. Kalisto beat Del Rio in a non-title match on SmackDown, won the title on a Raw, lost it on Smackdown, won it at Royal Rumble, and is doing another rematch because titles in WWE all have rematch clauses.

O5HKBFd.png

Edge and Christian Interview The New Day

No, they are not having a match. They are just getting interviewed by Edge and Christian to promote Edge and Christian's new comedy sketch show on the Network. Some people say the New Day have gotten sawft, but I say they're still pretty funny.

1yxONjN.jpg

Ryback, Big Show and Kane vs. The Wyatt Family (Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman) (with Bray Wyatt)

The Wyatt Family were last seen messing with Brock Lesnar at the Royal Rumble for no real reason other than Bray randomly takes a shine to other people on the roster who he can't beat in a wrestling match. This has been ignored since the Rumble and instead the Wyatts have just been beating up random mid-card guys saying they want to take down the "titans" of WWE so they can be worshiped as (wrestling) Gods. The match was set up because the guys they ran-in on wanted to get revenge. Fun fact: Big Show is a face again for this. Watch for Brawn Strongman to do monster heel stuff.

Ldocwb1.jpg

Charlotte (c) (with Ric Flair) vs. Brie Bella

Charlotte lost to Brie on a random Raw because Ric has a tendency to distract his own daughter just as much as her opponents. This is likely a send-off match for Brie, who has all but confirmed she is leaving the business to start a family with her recently retired husband Daniel Bryan.

KqKeLOw.jpg

Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks vs. Team B.A.D. (Naomi and Tamina)

Charlotte turned into a Ric Flair clone (e.g. she turned heel) and Becky (very) slowly figured out that Charlotte had turned heel and unsuccessfully challenged her for the title. Sasha inserted herself into the feud by showing up at Royal Rumble after Becky got beaten by a jacket and as a result the Boss left Team BAD (thus dissolving the last of the "teams" from the Divas Revolution angle). The rest of the Team was unamused and started doing run-ins on both Becky and Sasha. Becky and Sasha are teaming up to fight the remaining members, but they're also enemies (Charlotte is a heel, Becky is a face, Sasha is a tweener).

vLfvQqU.jpg

AJ Styles v. Chris Jericho

AJ Styles debuted at the Rumble to a huge pop; Jericho came back to TV a month or so ago. AJ is a face, but he barely ever talks so it could go either way once they let him do anything. Jericho's is nominally a face, but he's showing signs of a heel turn - his current persona is out-of-touch Dad Rock guy. AJ's first night on Raw he beat Jericho, then AJ lost to Jericho in the rematch; AJ asked for a third match at Fastlane. Jericho agreed at the last minute. And no, the Styles Clash is not banned, he's done it once on SmackDown.

fh5b6rm.png

Kevin Owens (c) v. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Championship

Ziggler has randomly faced Owens three times since Royal Rumble. He lost the first one, won the second one clean and won the third one dirty. The match was set up for the title right after Owens won it in on the last Raw (despite Owens refusing to give Ziggler the match).

AvLxZNr.jpg

Main Event: No. 1 Contender's Match - Brock Lesnar v. Dean Ambrose v. Roman Reigns

The major storylines all revolve around these guys:

* Roman Reigns is mad at the the Authority (Triple H (c), Stephanie McMahon, Vince McMahon) because prior to Survivor Series, Roman won a match to be the No. 1 contender for Seth Rollins' title at that PPV. Seth Rollins got hurt at a house show and the title was vacated. Roman refused to become Triple H's lackey, so Roman had to win a tournament at Survivor Series to get the title, and Triple H's new goon, Sheamus, cashed in the Money in the Bank contract on Roman. The Authority sent in the League of Nations (Rusev, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Wade Barrett) at the next PPV and Roman lost again, but this time he went apeshit and beat Triple H with a chair until he was kayfabe hospitalized. Vince came out and stated he didn't want Roman as his champion (seriously, who would want the Rock's buff and sexy cousin as champ) and for some reason gave him a rematch with Sheamus, at which Roman won the title. Vince then forced Roman to put the title on the line in the Rumble match and Triple H returns and wins the Rumble. Roman is still mad, and the next day the Authority gave him a No. 1 contender's match at this PPV because ?????

* Dean Ambrose is "brothers" with Roman Reigns due to their time in the Shield. He got inserted into the match because ????? His current schtick is that he has no fear of getting beaten up (because he's craaaaaazy). He's been cutting a lot of promos on Brock Lesnar saying he's not scared of him, which resulted in Ambrose getting beaten up by Lesnar repeatedly over the last month. Showed signs of turning on Reigns because he wants the championship; in fairness, Reigns has been subtly remarking he'd never lose to Dean anyways. Had the IC title until last week, which was dropped in a 5-way match when Kevin Owens pinned Tyler Breeze. Ambrose doesn't seem very upset about it.

* Brock Lesnar was eliminated from the Rumble because the Wyatt family teamed up to throw him out after he had eliminated all of them other than Bray. That storyline hasn't been referenced since the Rumble but could come back up. Stephanie inserted him into this match because ?????? - I guess she wants her husband to get his ass beat because Lesnar is an unstoppable monster.

What's on the line? The winner of the match is booked as the opponent in the main event at WrestleMania to take on the Best at Wrestling in TYOOL 2016:

pbFUk5c.gif

Where can you watch this exciting display? Only on the WWE Network for the low price of $9.99 per month (first month free).

Carnby

Did OP forget Dean was the runner up of the Roayal Rumble? That seems like a good reason to be in Fast Lane's main event.

Clegg

Pulling for Ambrose to win if only for the chance to see Brock v Reigns at Wrestlemania again. That match exceeded expectations by far and I want to see if they can do it again.

bigkrev

Brie Bella vs Charlotte and AJ vs Jericho are the only 2 matches I really care about here- the Women's match because I actually don't know who is going to win even though one of the participants will be retiring shortly, and the AJ-Jericho match because I've seen enough AJ matches in the past 2 years to know he's the best Wrestler in the world, and Jericho has to be motivated after their sloppy match on Raw 2 weeks ago.

Into

Like Chico said, the "swerve" is that Reigns wins and faces Hunter at Mania

The "swerve" is the match that everyone knows is happening and the match people want the least.

I am doing " " with my hands right now, exaggerated like Austin Powers "THE SWERVE"

yuraya

Hopefully Vince does the right thing and doesn't let Roman win. Just the idea of either Roman or HHH holding the belt the night after Mania is such a turn off from the product. Ambrose or Lesnar would be better.

Best case scenario is the triple threat ends in some stupid controversy so they can do another triple threat for Mania. Or maybe even a Fatal Four way.

Farsi

I'm livin life in the fast lane
Movin at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Only got a gallon in the gas tank
But I'm almost at the finish line, so I can't stop now

I don't really know where I'm headed, just enjoyin the ride
Just gon' roll 'til I drop and ride 'til I die
livin' life in the fast lane Pedal to the metal
livin' life in the fast lane Pedal to the metal

tumblr_o23472MLmV1rmv1vdo1_540.gif

Carnby

When did they anounce this was her last match? Why is she passing on her Mania payday?

Why would they announce this title shot is her last matxh? Regardless the sudden title shot has interesting timing. Bryan retired. And Brie is tweeting about having babies. All signs point to "last match."

Also, "Paydays" are a thing of the past. Unless your Taker, Brock, Cena, or the main event.

somedevil

When did they announce this was her last match? Why is she passing on her Mania payday?

Its not her last match. She is staying until the summer.

They gave her this match because they pushed back the triple threat match between sasha , charlotte and Becky until Wrestlemania.

If they do what they want to do Brie will be in get the 2nd women match they will have on the card.

ok but the Edge & Christian/New Day bit is legit a selling point though

Some people think Edge and Christian will introduce Enzo and Cass in that interview segment.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why would they announce her last match is a title shot? Regardless the sudden title shot has interesting timing. Bryan retired. And Brie is tweeting about having babies. All signs point to "last match."

Also, "Paydays" are a thing of the past. Unless your Taker, Brock, Cena, or the main event.

So title shots that drop out of the air out of nothing are just fine when it is maybe, perhaps, if you get lucky, a retirement match?

And yes, Mania paydays are still around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When did they announce this was her last match? Why is she passing on her Mania payday?
She's all but confirmed she is retiring. I doubt a Mania payday exists unless they have a second women's match on the card. The rumor is (and booking suggests) that the Divas match at WM is a Triple Threat with Becky/Sasha/Charlotte.

Carnby

You are the one making the claim that wrestlers no longer get bigger paychecks at Mania, I would say the burden of proof lies with you.

Payoffs are now in for the first pay-per-view events after WrestleMania with the new formula and they were described to The Wrestling Observer as "really bad." This could be a sign that talents are being paid based on pay-per-view revenue and that they're not receiving anything extra from the pay-per-view revenue that's been eliminated due to the Network.

There are reportedly some talents who are being taken care of and some who have deals in place that prevent something like this from happening to them. That is not the case with the majority of talents on the roster.

Naw. I'd rather just complain in every single post.

Angry Grimace

Fastlane is a lame name. What was it before?
Nothing. It used to be the Elimination Chamber which was originally cancelled and later moved due to issues with finding venues where the Chamber could be safely suspended.

mreddie

...Fastlane.

This was the name of the PPV. It isn't a retrofit of an older PPV.

I miss the old names, the ones post 2010 sound too generic. MITB/Extreme Rules are the only ones that sound unique. I remember February was No Way Out month.

No_Way_Out_2001.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it

Naw. I'd rather just complain in every single post.

A 2014 quote that has nothing to do with mania pay offs that came in after SummerSlam that year and were said to be generous.

And the Ad Hominems aren't much helping your argument either, but good for you for being such a positive person.

Striker

I miss the old names, the ones post 2010 sound too generic. MITB/Extreme Rules are the only ones that sound unique. I remember February was No Way Out month.
The shows with match specific names are all shite, except the Royal Rumble. That includes MitB, Extreme Rules, Hell in a Cell, and TLC. Then there's non-match based generic names like Battleground and Fastline.

KingBroly

Banned
Brock eats the pin cuz of Wyatt interference and LOLMAKEROMANLOOKSTRONG

Sets up Dean in a Jobber IC Title Match with 6 other people cuz Fuck This Company

Velcro Fly

The evolution of PPV names from the truly generic "In Your House" to those attitude era names like Unforgiven or Breakdown to the truly shitastic ones like Fastlane is amazing.

I only care about watching Sasha and Becky romp tomorrow. I know Ambrose probably won't win. I don't care about Kevin Owens.

Carnby

A 2014 quote that has nothing to do with mania pay offs that came in after SummerSlam that year and were said to be generous.

And the Ad Hominems aren't much helping your argument either, but good for you for being such a positive person.

This very question came up on WOR this week. Meltz quashed it. Only the top talent gets paydays. Brie ain't top talent.

Regardless, after Sunday we will know who is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom