• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they removed HHH from the storyline forever I'd be down with Roman or whoever actually caused it. You wanna get a man over? Have him be the man that gets HHH to sign a contract stating he will leave the show alone and leave the air entirely if he loses. If Roman goes in under that stipulation...or anyone for that matter, then they'd be over with the crowd. Everyone would want HHH to lose and would cheer the other guy eternally for putting him out of centerstage.

The problem is the USA Network wants the McMahon Family on the air.

Wow people are really trying to act like Roman wasn't over as shit in The Shield?

Seth was the one everyone thought would get lost in the shuffle as he never really displayed his personality. Everyone thought Dean would go on to become a top heel in the company, he was the most "ready" and Roman was seen as becoming the true breakout star of the group.

Sheroking

Wow people are really trying to act like Roman wasn't over as shit in The Shield?

He was very over AFTER the Shield disbanded as well.

It wasn't till he came back from injury and it was apparent he was their guy for Wrestlemania that "smart" marks started voraciously booing him and poisoning that well.

If the company is pushing you to the moon, you better be the smarks guy. Even if they don't expressly dislike you, they will come to fucking HATE you because you aren't (insert popular indie wrestler here).

jonjonaug

It wasn't till he came back from injury and it was apparent he was their guy for Wrestlemania that "smart" marks started voraciously booing him and poisoning that well.

If the company is pushing you to the moon, you better be the smarks guy. Even if they don't expressly dislike you, they will come to fucking HATE you because you aren't (insert popular indie wrestler here).

Roman Reigns was booed after he was pushed to the moon when he came back because Daniel Bryan just returned from injury, Ziggler completely stole the show at Survivor Series, and Dean Ambrose just got done having multiple MOTY candidates with Seth Rollins. It wasn't that people didn't like Roman so much as there were simply at least three or four more people that fans wanted to see more in the same spot. And it wasn't because those wrestlers were "popular indie wrestlers", it was because one of them was Daniel fucking Bryan and the other two were involved in some of the hottest angles and matches of the previous six months. The booking made zero sense from a story perspective, the WWE straight up went "ok here's where Roman would be if he wasn't out injured for months, let's just put him right back in that spot without regard for anything that happened otherwise".

The booking afterward with Roman's terrible "aw, shucks" style promos and delivery along with Daniel Bryan and Paul Heyman lining up to fellatiate him didn't help matters and the constant talking about Roman's family felt a lot like the WWE was straight up selling "nepotism is cool and a good thing" as their marketing strategy for Roman.

Ithil

That's really only because every match he'd spear someone through the barricade or power bomb someone through the announce table.

To this day those two moves are his only over spots and he does it like every other match.

They're still doing that now with the obligatory RAW main event tag match, hot tag Roman. It's all he did in the Shield, get the hot tag and the pinfall at the end.

The shift against him started to happen really late in the Shield's run when it shifted from "Three man group" to "Roman Reigns and others". Then the breakup happened, and he suddenly became a focal point of the show as a singles guy and all those problems got exposed that were hidden in the Shield. By the end of the year, after the return from that injury, the simmering dislike became boiling hate pretty fast with those horrible promos and really forced insertion into the top of the show.

Maaagic beeeans

I forgot who said it but i think he nailed it right on the head.

The match is going to be a snooze fest with a dead crowd. Rock will be in the corner to get the reactions. Crowd will shit on Roman for the most part but will pop after Rock causes H the match. Will end with the people's elbow to close the show.

Last time they did this was WM27 which still ranks the worst WM since 16. All ironically involving Rock.

This literally never happens though outside Roman. And i love how smarks somehow didn't exist till recently. Remember when Luger didn't get over? When Diesel or HBK didn't draw money? Or the Rock's first disastrous run with the company? Or how about when they were CHEERING for Roman when Batista won the Rumble?

This isn't a "thing" to boo people who are pushed. Fans boo wrestlers they don't give a shit about. Wrestlers who come off as fake. Poor Roman went through terrible booking. Winning superstar of year despite literally doing nothing the entire year. Winning the Rumble when Bryan was still the most over talent as the roster. They completely fucked up his push, this has 0 to do with IWC. All blame goes to Vince and rest of creative.

Fans reject Roman. It's time to repackage and move on like it's been done many times before. Except they literally refuse to do it and force it down our throats.

Kaiterra

Banned
They're still doing that now with the obligatory RAW main event tag match, hot tag Roman. It's all he did in the Shield, get the hot tag and the pinfall at the end.

The shift against him started to happen really late in the Shield's run when it shifted from "Three man group" to "Roman Reigns and others". Then the breakup happened, and he suddenly became a focal point of the show as a singles guy and all those problems got exposed that were hidden in the Shield. By the end of the year, after the return from that injury, the simmering dislike became boiling hate pretty fast with those horrible promos and really forced insertion into the top of the show.

Maaagic beeeans

Yeah I think people are confusing the fact that it became REALLY OBVIOUS that they wanted him to be the breakout star with the notion that he was naturally the breakout star, what with the shift in booking the team's matches to focus around making him look much stronger than the other two and the sudden narrative being pushed by commentary that he was always the leader of the group even though it had clearly been Dean for a long time. Not to mention his record breaking runs at Survivor Series and the Rumble. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out "Oh, yeah, this guy is absolutely getting the biggest singles push when the group breaks up" with all that in mind.

And people weren't worried about Seth because of any perceived lack of talent or ability on his part (well, his promo skills were underestimated), just out of fatigue from seeing guys like him (well okay, guys like him with a few less inches on them) hit their heads on the glass celing.

I'm not saying Roman wasn't over mind you. Roman was TOTALLY over. How could he NOT be in that situation without being a total black hole of talent (which no, he isn't)? But the notion that he was clearly the most beloved member and it not even being CLOSE is ridiculous. The Shield as a unit was far more over than any of them have been individually, being one of the few acts in recent years to gain widespread support among all types of fans, and they were all just as vital to its success.

But not at Mania!!!!

ei-gWg.gif

Son Of D

There's nothing left for Roman after Mania. Less you put him in another feud with Sheamus or Bray Wyatt. Or turn Dean heel, which would be incredibly stupid and only serve to get even more people to cheer him over Roman.
Not sure when Rollins is due back but a feud where Seth wants the title he never lost id inevitable.

If it's so easy, go ahead, find someone excited about Roman in 2013/first half of 2014.

Ok. I'll even include links to said posts.

From the May 2013 thread:
They need Roman to speak more during matches. His lines were fantastic
(I'm cutting out the majority of this next post for space reasons, but feel free to click on the arrow for the whole thing)
END OF MONTH FAVE FIVE:

3. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns
Tag-team so two for one at number 3. Gotta love these guys. Rollins is just so much fun to look at in that ring. Him and Bryan going at it on Raw this past monday left me watching with the stupidest grin. Reigns is proving to be pretty fucking great as well, who knew? Great power moves and that spear of his is only second to Goldberg's. Well done on him from being the expected third wheel of The Shield to being just as enjoyable as the other two.

From the October 2013 thread:
Roman Reigns' spear looks sooooo good.

Looks like the Shield are gonna break up soon. All 3 will end up in the main event scene anyways.

Roman Reigns is the next Rock. The way he moves in the ring reminds me of him. A big guy that is really athletic and coordinated.

If Ricardo works on his look he could be a good mid carder or even upper mid carder/ low main event guy.

This is late for Raw talk but Roman Reigns is amazing. That double spear was sick. Roman Reigns is so underrated he's one of the best power guys I've ever seen....dude is like Batista but better. Can EASILY be a big star, and has had so many amazing matches already.

Wyatts vs Bryan/Punk sounds amazing too.

Bryan putting HBK in the yes lock was awesome.

Good Raw.

From the September 2013 thread:
That whole sequence after Reigns came into the match was hype as fuck.

Reigns is pretty awesome.

ooooooh, this Reigns guy got great spears, very Goldbergish. i like him.

Glad more people are realizing how awesome reigns is

And this is all from a quick Google search. I could've done more, but I felt this was enough of a sample size. But please, continue to act like a child in these threads like you usually do when people don't lose their shit over your favorite wrestlers.

Can we opt for Shane then?

Shane kind of sucks and you'd be tired of him in six weeks. Unless you don't remember Shane McMahon, heroic defender of Poor Stephanie versus Randy Orton a few years ago before Mania, right?

Plus, by all accounts, the guy had sub Russo tier creative ideas.

Kaiterra

Banned
Shane kind of sucks and you'd be tired of him in six weeks. Unless you don't remember Shane McMahon, heroic defender of Poor Stephanie versus Randy Orton a few years ago before Mania, right?

Plus, by all accounts, the guy had sub Russo tier creative ideas.

Everyone loves him for taking huge bumps and guess what he wouldn't be doing?

Ferulci

Predicatability isn't the core issue, the minute Daniel Bryan's match against HHH at mania was announced it was 150% obvious he would be winning and then go on win the title. No one cared how obvious it was because they were invested in the story, that's the issue here with Roman, no one is truly invested in him.

I disagree :
- Even though Bryan was the favorite, he had been overlooked so many times before (between the 40 seconds fight, the royal rumble...) that we (or at least I) had doubts on his victory, especially with Batista return.
- The Wrestlemania card was not predictable 3 or 6 months before. His storyline is predictable as hell, and we all know he's going to have his Hulk/Ultimate Warrior moment against Cena either at Summerslam or next Wrestlemania, no matter what happens.
Creating good storylines ask good character arc, surprises (either on the outcome or the way to get there), stakes and empathy. I dont see anything with what the WWe is currently doing with Roman.

I disagree :
- Even though Bryan was the favorite, he had been overlooked so many times before (between the 40 seconds fight, the royal rumble...) that we (or at least I) had doubts on his victory, especially with Batista return.
- The Wrestlemania card was not predictable 3 or 6 months before. His storyline is predictable as hell, and we all know he's going to have his Hulk/Ultimate Warrior moment against Cena either at Summerslam or next Wrestlemania, no matter what happens.
Creating good storylines ask good character arc, surprises (either on the outcome or the way to get there), stakes and empathy. I dont see anything with what the WWe is currently doing with Roman.
i don't even what to tell you if you couldn't see how completely and utterly obvious it was that Bryan was winning.

like im completely baffled how anyone could say they had doubts once the HHH match was announced with that stipulation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i don't even what to tell you if you couldn't see how completely and utterly obvious it was that Bryan was winning.

like im completely baffled how anyone could say they had doubts once the HHH match was announced with that stipulation.

They ruined it a little bit by having HHH come on the next week and announce HE was subject to the stipulation and then Steph being like "WTF you can't be champ?!"

Which sounds dumb now that he IS the champ, but at the time it made absolutely no sense.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. I'll even include links to said posts.

From the May 2013 thread:

(I'm cutting out the majority of this next post for space reasons, but feel free to click on the arrow for the whole thing)

From the October 2013 thread:

From the September 2013 thread:

And this is all from a quick Google search. I could've done more, but I felt this was enough of a sample size. But please, continue to act like a child in these threads like you usually do when people don't lose their shit over your favorite wrestlers.

Damn Beef. Ethered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom