• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no surprise element though. I even said guys like Hacksaw or just random legends always feels welcome here. I do get the roster is more stacked than it ever has been, but it still adds something more to the event.

The matches prior to the Rumble were some of the best in a while.

Cena was outstanding.

I think I've found the one man more deflating than Reigns at 30

"OH MY, YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, IT''S THE WINNER OF THE VERY FIRST RUMBLE!"
*Hacksaw enters the ring, clubs each person within once with a crummy strike before getting taken down by a heel for cheap heat*

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
re-thinking of the Aj and Cena match it was good but not great honestly. It started to pick up for me when Cena looked like he was heeling up, dat flexing and trying to knock AJ's head off. The match actually slowly had a story put into it, Cena will do absolutely anything to win the title from Aj Styles, even potentially go heel. It was great in ring psychology but then after it was a spotfest and the psychology got dropped for an Avalanche AA and a back to back AA for the win. Could have been so much more, pre-event the macth had good heat coming in due to their promos. Could have been better.

Aiii

So not worth it
FPMB30W.jpg

uIVway8l.jpg

SOMEBODY GONNA GET THEIR ASS HAULED, SOMEBODY'S GONNA GET THEIR KNEES CHECKED

Jezbollah

Just finished watching it. Got mixed feelings about it.

Tye at 10 was great. Orton winning it is interesting, but how do they package him into the WM to really make it interesting? Really disappointed Joe didnt take part.

I think they could have done better.

Sanjuro

I think I've found the one man more deflating than Reigns at 30

"OH MY, YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, IT''S THE WINNER OF THE VERY FIRST RUMBLE!"
*Hacksaw enters the ring, clubs each person within once with a crummy strike before getting taken down by a heel for cheap heat*

I'm not suggesting him alone, but no, he would have gotten a larger pop than close to half of the entrants.

Even the boring entrants didn't have anything to do with an in-Rumble narrative. It was just a bleak match outside a few Jericho moments.

Dazzler

Sometimes I feel like WWE is trying to punish me for liking the graps

Roman at 30 was one of the more anticlimactic moments for me in my wrestling fandom. I was hyped for this RR because it finally felt like we were getting a Rumble match not all about Roman

Then he goes and pops up at 30 like an unwelcome fart on a bus

I was watching with my gf and when they were doing the countdown to 30 I was like 'oh man, this is gonna be awesome! They left a surprise at 30!'

Then Roman's music hit and she made a comment of how disappointment of a face I had made.

Lothar

Banned
Unannounced entries:

Kalisto
Gallagher
Henry
Dillinger
Ellsworth
Crews
Enzo
Reigns

Yea, they could've done better....

Yeah, someone appearing who's already on the current roster isn't much of a surprise.

That video that has all the surprise entrants from 2008 to present will just have to skip this year.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...y_surprise_entrant_in_the_royal_rumble_match/

Surprises are part of what makes Rumbles so fun. How can they be so dumb as to not have surprises?

Sephzilla

They could have easily removed Kalisto, Ellsworth, Crews, and Enzo from the match and put in a few surprise entries like Samoa Joe or someone else. I'm also guessing Balor wasn't cleared, because otherwise he should have been in the rumble.

UberTag

Yeah, I'll check in again at Mania to see how this all pans out.
Part-timers win. Match outcomes don't ultimately matter. Most of the 24/7/365 guys show up in the ARMBAR or lose to put over the part-timers. Unless their name is Roman Reigns.

We already know how this will play out. You don't need to check in again.

I'll defend Kalisto and Ellsworth being in the rumble, Crews on the other hand is such a non reaction he should actually be repackaged entirely (I bet Fandango or Breeze would get more pop)
Enzo is an odd one, he kinda got a moment of sorts accompanying Big Cass, but he is also actually over so no reason to exclude, it's more his late placement being a bit off. Plus instead of furthering his Rusev feud they had him take the Scotty 2 Hotty walking into Brothers of Destruction spot from 2001.

Dazzler

I'll defend Kalisto and Ellsworth being in the rumble, Crews on the other hand is such a non reaction he should actually be repackaged entirely (I bet Fandango or Breeze would get more pop)
Enzo is an odd one, he kinda got a moment of sorts accompanying Big Cass, but he is also actually over so no reason to exclude, it's more his late placement being a bit off. Plus instead of furthering his Rusev feud they had him take the Scotty 2 Hotty walking into Brothers of Destruction spot from 2001.

People on Reddit Squared Circle speculating he replaced someone at the last moment. It seemed odd having Brock clear the ring awaiting the next entrant, and it turns out to be Enzo

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was watching with my gf and when they were doing the countdown to 30 I was like 'oh man, this is gonna be awesome! They left a surprise at 30!'

Then Roman's music hit and she made a comment of how disappointment of a face I had made.

Yeah, I was getting hyped up thinking that 30 was going to be a big surprise entrant, wondering who it could possibly be...and then Roman. :|

This rumble lacked any real surprise entrants, which was disappointing considering that this was the 30th anniversary.

Mahonay

Banned
God damn, lol.
Yeah, I was getting hyped up thinking that 30 was going to be a big surprise entrant, wondering who it could possibly be...and then Roman. :|

This rumble lacked any real surprise entrants, which was disappointing considering that this was the 30th anniversary.
The blow was slightly lessened for me when it dawned on my they were definitely giving Roman the #30 spot after Taker had #29.

Tom Nook

People on Reddit Squared Circle speculating he replaced someone at the last moment. It seemed odd having Brock clear the ring awaiting the next entrant, and it turns out to be Enzo

Damn, perfect moment for Angle to come in - to rekindle their feud back in 2002-2003. :(

janoDX

Guys. Cena is a 16 time champion and we're talking about Roman Reigns. Lol

At least Cena and Styles told a story since Money in the Bank and stuck with it. There's a reason for the Cena win, it actually was well booked by the SDL team except for last week where they shouldn't have done the promo.

Slurmer

Banned
Hear me out guys. WrestleMania, Reigns vs. Undertaker. Reigns wins, retires Taker. THEN he puts on Taker's hat...and BECOMES THE UNDERTAKER!

Xater

Crews has been brought up too early in the first place. Unlike guys like Nakamura or Samoa Joe...

fhqwhgads

What really bums me out is how it seemed like the perfect chance for a Jericho win. Having him stay in the entire time thanks to a mixture of chickenshit heelness and being decked out by everyone seemed like the perfect chance for him to win through playing opportunist and eliminating the last person when they're distracted eliminating someone else. If anything that's my only problem with the rumble itself, the ending was so anticlimactic. No build up or tension, just part timers appear one by one and then Roman does stuff.

Tom Nook

Hear me out guys. WrestleMania, Reigns vs. Undertaker. Reigns wins, retires Taker. THEN he puts on Taker's hat...and BECOMES THE UNDERTAKER!

Undertaker's body is old and deteriorating. His soul "transfers" to a younger and stronger Roman's body.

Vince orders Roman to sound like the Undertaker and his WrestleMania record (21-1) carries over to Roman.

Mahonay

Banned
What really bums me out is how it seemed like the perfect chance for a Jericho win. Having him stay in the entire time thanks to a mixture of chickenshit heelness and being decked out by everyone seemed like the perfect chance for him to win through playing opportunist and eliminating the last person when they're distracted eliminating someone else. If anything that's my only problem with the rumble itself, the ending was so anticlimactic. No build up or tension, just part timers appear one by one and then Roman does stuff.
I was pretty upset when Jericho was eliminated considering the other choices that were left.

Jericho staying in the match by just getting knocked the fuck out repeatedly was great.

I think roman deserves to put geezers like taker out of his misery

Roman is great and ill take his heat magnet ass over that nostalgia pop any day

Sephzilla

Crews and Nia Jax were both brought up way too early. Breeze deserved to be called up but the problem was creative gave up on him immediately.

Nameless

Good-great title matches with one of the most underwhelming Rumbles in recent memory. Not really looking forward to Mania but I already have them $9.99 for three months so whatever. No Game of Thrones this spring so there won't be that taking priority.

Xater

Crews and Nia Jax were both brought up way too early. Breeze deserved to be called up but the problem was creative gave up on him immediately.

I forgot about Nia. She was also so not ready. Did she improve? Like I said I stopped watching a while ago.

ReiGun

Almost anyone in Smackdown's midcard would have been better than Crews save the super jobbers like The Vaudevillains or Acension. Slater, one of the Usos, Rhyno, Breeze, freaking Kane (in 2017). All could have possibly gotten more of a reaction.

So weird they didn't advertise Enzo being in, considering how popular he is. He is going to be SUPER BURIED whenever they break him and Cass up.

I forgot about Nia. She was also so not ready. Did she improve? Like I said I stopped watching a while ago.

Dana Brooke might be the only call up from this year who is worse than Nia.

Both of them should still be in Full Sail, helping bolster the Women's Division there.

Toki767

I think roman deserves to put geezers like taker out of his misery

Roman is great and ill take his heat magnet ass over that nostalgia pop any day

If Reigns turns full heel because of it, absolutely.

Lesnar got a ton of heat from the crowd for ending the streak but he ended up being the biggest face a year later.

But if they try to pull another respect thing with Reigns and Undertaker, the crowd is not going to cheer that.

People won't hesitate to boo Undertaker just like they didn't hesitate to boo the Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom