• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam 2016 |OT| The Flo Rida Concert Is Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

We got WrestleMania'd.

Remember when they did the Battle Royale and The Rock buried Erick Rowan before the Main Event? This PPV was that times 10.

Ithil

Dude. this is GAF.
WrassleGAF at that.
Every favorite will be hated sooner or later and it will be pretended that nobody liked them in the first place.

Also, for all the hate he gets on GAF, it's never translated to actual crowds.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This I completely agree with. The hate hes getting or his matches is ridiculous tho.

His matches really aren't that good though. He reminds me of HHH in that he has all the tools but the end result is unremarkable more often than not.

giphy.gif

NightOnyx

Wait... WAit.. how the hell do people hate Finn Balor...? I basically only watch the major PPVs, but 9months ago he was the darling of the smarts in NXT, a solid worker with a ggood work ethic and an interesting persona... And now people are against him?

The fuck

I really like Balor. I even liked the Demon gimmick on NXT. But I dont think it works on the main roster. The leather jacket look is just fine and is much better. Also, WWE pushing the demon king thing down our throat is not helping. The match was almost ruined for me by how many times the commentary mentioned it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The branding push on Finn is killing his gimmick. Going from the Demon to the Demon King was already a mistake. Saying it 30 times during a match is going to bury it.

Now this is a legitimate concern. They even fucking had the ring announcer call him "Finn Balor, THE DEMON KING!" in his ring intro tonight. Like, just stop, please. WWE main brand has no chill and never seems to know when enough is too much.

Finn's demon persona should only be used on roughly the same schedule that it was in NXT. Like 4-6 times per year, tops. Wrestlemania, Summerslam, a couple other PPV events at major moments in feuds. That's it. Any more than that is overexposure.

Meh, they paid their money and crowds trying to make it about them is nothing new. If the match had been more engaging maybe they wouldn't have done it.

if that same exact match happened on NXT the crowd would be shitting themselves and chanting "THIS IS WRESTLING!" at every opportunity.

Penguin

Crowd was shit. Seth isn't wrong.

Yeah I felt bad

Good match, but the crowd was intent on booing the belt for most of it

That said, this was a rough show. They really need to trim the fat, you really feel every bit of the 5-6 hours of these things by the end.

It helped that the last 40 mins or so was mostly dreadful for the fans.

It seemed to have peaked with the Cena match, and thought they were having all of these heels win early for a major babyface win, which I guess was Balor... but that was buried under like 2 other matches that just kind of killed people's interest. At least mine.

Sephzilla

Better than sitting dead silent for the match, because it was nothing special.

People calling it a "classic" on Twitter smh.

People are so easily entertained these days

/oldmarkrant
Shitting on a belt design during an inaugural title match between two established superstars when they match had barely even started was super disrespectful to the two wrestlers and as a viewer was extremely distracting because the chants and shit did not pertain to the match itself. That shit was worse than Full Sail tier bad.

Edzi

Lol. He's pissy because people cared more about the belt that their match.

Is he wrong though? Must feel bad to have the crowd ignore your match just to shit on the (admittedly terrible) belt. While a part of me is glad the fans made their feelings on that belt heard, that definitely wasn't the time or place. It was disrespectful to both Rollins and Balor, and I don't blame Seth for being upset.

Tagyhag

Shitting on a belt design during an inaugural title match between two established superstars when they match had barely even started was super disrespectful to the two wrestlers and as a viewer was extremely distracting because the chants and shit did not pertain to the match itself. That shit was worse than Full Sail tier.

You know what, you're right, they did start shitting on it too early.

Still though, that thing is hideous.

Seth vs. Finn was a good match though. It was the 2nd best match after AJ vs. Cena.
Ziggler vs. Ambrose was an embarrassment of the highest order.
Well at least this is the end of any Ziggler push ever.

There will never be a championship that looks better than the WCW World Heavyweight Championship so the look of the belt doesn't matter anyways. Who holds it does.

Is he wrong though? Must feel bad to have the crowd ignore your match just to shit on the (admittedly terrible) belt. While a part of me is glad the crowd made their feelings on that belt heard, it was pretty disrespectful and I don't blame Seth for being upset. It probably also tainted Balor's win for him, which is unfortunate.

Shit I'd be pissed if I were them too, but I wouldn't tweet that.

He needs to lose his gimmick fast. I had no feelings either way towards him until he came out in this crap costume and starting crawling around.

I don't mind Balor, I hate his gimmick. The demon king is stupid and just harkens back to the old style of wrestling which in this day and age is dumb. Attitude era had some characters but shot out of the old gimmicks, now is not the time to bring them back nor will I think will it ever be cool to bring them back ever. Lose "demon king" and he is pretty good honestly.

I think his gimmick works when in this day and age. First, it's a PPV only gimmick (right?). Like normally he wrestles as Finn Balor, and then at PPVs, he wrestles as "The Demon King," which is basically the same thing but just more fired up and psychological.

1) The crowd was way into his intro and it was an awesome intro
2) Seth Rollins played it really well... He was doing the "I'm not intimidated by this... [but is obviously intimidated by it]" selling job.

I think that works now. Someone having a gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like, maybe 90% of guys have normal personality gimmicks. It isn't a bad thing for 10% of the guys to have a special persona during PPVs.

Lothar

Banned
Let's just remember the highlight of the night.

tumblr_ocaf96pJ7q1saykaxo1_400.gif

This was literally the only good thing that happened tonight.

People who called that show good need better standards. A match isn't good unless it appears like they're really fighting each other and trying to win, it's believable, and it makes you invested in the outcome through the story of the match. If you don't have that, then it's just two people doing moves. You do not care about Seth fighting a Demon King, a bland wrestler in bad makeup. I refuse to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom