• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL Marketplace E3 Monday stuff is up

C4Lukins

---- said:
Judging by the small file sizes I'm guessing that these are all 480p trailers.

I dunno, Brothers in Arms is over 100, and another was over 70. I'm thinking most of these are just short.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The controls in test drive are teh suck, the cars are like...uh...stuck to the ground or something. It is awesome when you pull up the map and it zooms out to show the entire island though.

Captain N

Sho Nuff said:
The controls in test drive are teh suck, the cars are like...uh...stuck to the ground or something. It is awesome when you pull up the map and it zooms out to show the entire island though.

that's about the only cool thing in the demo. I smashed into a bunch of cars and didn't see a single cop car. Than again I only had 15 minutes to work with when I played the demo. The three cars you can choose from don't really seem to control much differently or handle differently at all.

Sonic looks decent, if not terribly next-gen; apart from a few effects, it looks more like the series should have looked last gen. The CG cutscenes with realistic humans look very out of place, though, and that vehicle bit... ugh.

Quick tip to speed up your downloads guys:

At the 6% mark on the download, cancel it out. Re-download it and the percentage jumps to 50-55% and the rate of trasnfer really picks up. Tell me if it works for you. I got the Sonic trailer in about 3 minutes this way on a DSL line.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Alright, I stopped the TD:U, and got the Sonic trailer instead - wow... those so-called PS3 pics looked god-awful, but seeing it in motion in HD was WHOA...

Colour me impressed!!!

...Shadow needs to ditch the truck though - jeez...

Shawnwhann said:

At the 6% mark on the download, cancel it out. Re-download it and the percentage jumps to 50-55% and the rate of trasnfer really picks up. Tell me if it works for you. I got the Sonic trailer in about 3 minutes this way on a DSL line.

Well, the % number just growths at half the speed after that. Do you really think there's some kind of instant transport of half of the trailer to your HDD??? :lol

Argyle

Shawnwhann said:

My guess is that this is a bug in the dashboard and that it will take the same amount of time to complete the download (that is, it would take just as long to watch it go from 6% to 100% as it would to go from 51% to 100% if you glitch it, if that makes sense)...

Smokey

Yess sirr. It's here folks!

I've been DLing since I woke up about 30 minutes ago. I've got no finals until wed. I don't work until tomorrow night. So I'm sitting here w/ my laptop and Firefox open w/ 8 tabs, XBL DLing all the new content, and music playing on my stereo.

Trailers are DL pretty fast for me. I haven't DL the TD demo yet, as I'm getting all the trailers out of the way first.

It's fucking heaven and it's only Monday!

EDIT2: Holy shit Stranglehold looks BADASSSSSSSS!!

Well, the % number just growths at half the speed after that. Do you really think there's some kind of instant transport of half of the trailer to your HDD???

Well I don't know what the deal is. All I know is that the trailers and demos used to take about 30-35 minutes. The method I described shortened the length considerably.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I met some dudes who were working on Bullet Witch about a month or so ago, so I am going to have to rag on them because holy shit does it look fucking awful, like "I can't believe they're actually showing this" awful.

I like how they didn't bother to translate the Japanese text either :lol

Vaandaviii said:
Well, the % number just growths at half the speed after that. Do you really think there's some kind of instant transport of half of the trailer to your HDD??? :lol

yeah because you resume a download, it instantly transfers, in one second, 200mb worth of data to your HD. :lol

Such a simple and stupid bug.

Wanna see another downloader bug? Unplug your Ethernet cable while you're downloading something and the screensaver is on. Insane graphical corruption ensues.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Sonic looks rubbish, but damn Sonic team's CG is nice. Dr. Eggman looks like a pimp!

I also like how the subtitles don't match what's being said.

erikevrhrd

Everything I've downloaded has been quick. 100 seconds for the trailers. Longer for the TD:U demo.

It's fun smashing into other cars in Test Drive and seeing them fall apart...and I like that it's a huge open island where you can go anywhere...except splashing down over a cliff into the water which of course I tried.

Dead Rising still looks freaking awesome...now with even more blood and chunks.

I can't wait for Brother In Arms: Hells Highway. Great trailor.

Stranglehold looks pretty fun. Not as much of a graphical powerhouse as I thought. Chow's clothes have low textures, but his facial model is very good.

Sonic looks like the same old Sonic, gameplay wise. Except for some car combat.

That's all I've downloaded so far.

LakeEarth

AtomicShroom said:
yeah because you resume a download, it instantly transfers, in one second, 200mb worth of data to your HD. :lol

Such a simple and stupid bug.

Wanna see another downloader bug? Unplug your Ethernet cable while you're downloading something and the screensaver is on. Insane graphical corruption ensues.
I know it sounds retarded, but I swear his observation isn't wrong. The download does seem to go quicker when you cancel it and restart it. Might just be my imagination.

I thought Sonic looked very good. It was fast, pretty, and looked like a next-gen Sonic Adventure, which I loved. Yeah yeah, the SUV thing is pretty bad, but whatever. Hopefully it's not in the game too much.

Nebur

Blimblim said:
I'll downloading / capture / encode / upload it as fast as possible :D
om_: About 130 kbytes/s for me so far, but it's steady.

Tnx for Everything Blimblim, now you have two clicks more on your google ads ;)

golem

downloads have been fast... but ive never really had a problem with live speeds. great first day so far for their e3 coverage

Vampire's Rain trailer was slick. We'll have to see about the gameplay but from what was shown it could be very good.

fromdusk9cw.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sucky sucky, european content not reflecting US content D:

We got the TDU demo but not much else at the moment.

Scotch

Skilotonn said:
Me too - and I was at 96% with the freaking demo!!!
Same here, also at 96%. :mad:

Worse, I resumed the download after 5 minutes and now it's starting at 1% again.. ffs. It seems to download faster though.

chigiri said:
Sucky sucky, european content not reflecting US content D:

We got the TDU demo but not much else at the moment.
I can see all the trailers here (Holland).

Belfast

Hey, DDR Universe looks pretty good. I know most of you aren't concerned with it, but I'll be interested to get a more complete feature/song list. It *looks* pretty slick, though.

scaffa

I like the Test Drive Demo...for a wip product.

Like stated before the graphics arent mind blowing but its good enough if you take into account that you are racing more or less on a huge island. The motionblur when panning the camera looks nice and dmg models are good to. Demo has alot of problems with pop in tho and havent got a chance to expierence real cop chases. Had around three cops on my tail and the voice overs from them on the radio are nicely done from what I could hear.

Controls bad? dunno..it feels good to be honest. Took some car crashes to get used to it tho :p Just need to take some gass back when turning.

Dead Rising looks pretty cool of course I've been engulfed in WoW for the past year and ahalf so I no longer know my ass form my elbow when it comes to games.

There's an old man Sonic now?!

Belfast said:
Hey, DDR Universe looks pretty good. I know most of you aren't concerned with it, but I'll be interested to get a more complete feature/song list. It *looks* pretty slick, though.

Can't wait. :)

I know it sounds retarded, but I swear his observation isn't wrong. The download does seem to go quicker when you cancel it and restart it. Might just be my imagination.

No it is okay, let these dudes think I am a dumb fuck. I know for a fact my method increases the downloading rate. The less people use it the better for folks like you and I who actually try something before instant backlash.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Shawnwhann said:
No it is okay, let these dudes think I am a dumb fuck. I know for a fact my method increases the downloading rate. The less people use it the better for folks like you and I who actually try something before instant backlash.
When downloading from the debug marketplace my download simply stalls after about 10-15 seconds. So I have to wait for the retry (1-2 minutes), or cancel/restart. It can get tedious, but it works.

Played the TDU demo for 15 minutes (downloaded fast), I thought it was pretty good, some of it looks nice, some mediocre, framerate seemed very solid. The in-car view wasn't great, I thought the hood view was the best racing view good sense of speed. Control is a little weird, but I got used to it pretty fast. Played and won the two solo challenges and then drove around a little. Didn't blow me away, but I think it has some potential, I'll see how it progresses to the final. Note: I love playing all types of racing games so I might have more favorable impressions than some who don't.

Just downloaded the Straglehold trailer in like 2 minutes things are moving fast.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I tried Test Drive and I liked what I saw.

My first impression was that it felt like a mix between PGR3 and Burnout.

I thought it controlled really well. Its arcadey but not super arcadey like Ridge Racer or something like that. It was pretty easy to start a drift and control it. I like to drift a lot in racing games so that might be why I liked it. I defintely liked the controls in this better than in PGR3. PGR's controls are generally too stiff for my tastes.

The sense of speed, to me, seemed pretty damn good. When you start to go really fast the screen starts shaking a little to mimic what it would be like in the car.

When you crash into other vehicles their parts (bumpers, doors, hoods, etc) come flying off. Your car doesn't seem to take any damage in a crash (only the car you hit does) and you can send the cars you hit flying really long distances. This may not be very realistic, but I think it can lead to some fun. I T-boned an SUV and sent that sucker flying 30 feet into the air off a cliff!

The map is pretty cool. As others have mentioned, you can zoom out and view the entire island but another cool thing you can do is that you can use the map to warp to places on the island that you have been to.

There are many, many different camera angles that you can use in the game. At least 7 iirc. The right-analog stick works a lot like PGR3. The camera swings around to the side the same way and everything. The only difference is that you can't swing the camera a full 360 degrees around you car...only to each side. If you want to look behind you, you press the L button.

Graphics are nice. They aren't as good as PGR3 but they shouldn't be expected to be IMO. The courses in PGR3 were very closed off whereas TDU is one big world. The palm trees and other plant life look good.

Oh, and about the timer.... my guess is that this is the exact same demo as the one at E3. Therefore it would make sense to put a timer on it so that other people can get a chance to play it.

Top Bottom