• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One BC |OT| "Fortunately, we have a product for people who don't own a 360"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
those were on the original xbox which they've stated is not only difficult to emulate but they also feel wouldn't be worth their time.

vader.jpg

Zeta Oni

those were on the original xbox which they've stated is not only difficult to emulate but they also feel wouldn't be worth their time.

Something I just don't understand.

Even if it wouldent be the most profitable idea, having access to OG xbox games going forward should be something anyone who cares about preserving these kinds of things (Video game histpry) should do.

Theres also 2 big issues compounding this:

-There is no proper OG xbox emulator on PC.

-OG Xbox's also run the risk of the clock capacitor ruining the system, leaving alot of systems in the hands of the uninformed with a future of being useless.

And yet, not only do Microsoft continue to not offer a way to play these games for current console owners, they also seem to actively ignore several IP from that generation that could be doing wonders for them right now.

One day, maybe.

Vormund

Can't find the quote at the moment, but I thought that OG Xbox is not being done because resources are being put towards 360, not that they don't want to/don't feel it's worth it.

I wouldn't expect it though given the trickle we've seen so far. (Also I think there is licensing fees because of the nVidia chipset.

chekhonte

Something I just don't understand.

Even if it wouldent be the most profitable idea, having access to OG xbox games going forward should be something anyone who cares about preserving these kinds of things (Video game histpry) should do.

Theres also 2 big issues compounding this:

-There is no proper OG xbox emulator on PC.

-OG Xbox's also run the risk of the clock capacitor ruining the system, leaving alot of systems in the hands of the uninformed with a future of being useless.

And yet, not only do Microsoft continue to not offer a way to play these games for current console owners, they also seem to actively ignore several IP from that generation that could be doing wonders for them right now.

One day, maybe.

how many actual exclusives did the xbox have that didn't migrate over to the pc? Both halo games made it, both KotOR made it. The only two that I know of is phantom dust and blinx.

EDIT: and I supose there were a couple launch exclusives that I can't remember.

EDIT 2: ok there's a lot. I just haven't heard or played most of them.

Montresor

Why on earth would a publisher that can earn money on a remaster ever release the old version and potentially killing resales of the remaster?

What a crappy, cynical attitude. Microsoft are already doing this themselves, making Gears 1 BC even though Gears 1 has been remastered.

For some reason Spelunky, Motocross Madness and Plants Vs.Zombies appeared in my "Ready to install" list despite me never owning them (I did download the demos for Spelunky and PVZ though).

I ain't complaining.

Toki767

What a crappy, cynical attitude. Microsoft are already doing this themselves, making Gears 1 BC even though Gears 1 has been remastered.

This is Microsoft's own system, so they are obviously going to support it.

You can see from the list though that not a ton of publishers are jumping on board with this for whatever reason. Which is a shame.

Zeta Oni

how many actual exclusives did the xbox have that didn't migrate over to the pc? Both halo games made it, both KotOR made it. The only two that I know of is phantom dust and blinx.

EDIT: and I supose there were a couple launch exclusives that I can't remember.

EDIT 2: ok there's a lot. I just haven't heard or played most of them.

There's quite a few actually.

But as long as Metal Wolf Chaos is on that list, then no stone should be left unturned regarding OG xbox backwards compatibility imo.

This is Microsoft's own system, so they are obviously going to support it.

You can see from the list though that not a ton of publishers are jumping on board with this for whatever reason. Which is a shame.

I think you may be jumping to conclusions a bit. From what I'm seeing, it may very well be that titles are handled on a basis determined by the how they play with the emulator, as it's not a one size fits all solution it seems.

Another possibility thats just as likely is that they are purposely drip feeding us, in order to add a reason to check in every month as well as many other reasons, I'm sure.

For some reason Spelunky, Motocross Madness and Plants Vs.Zombies appeared in my "Ready to install" list despite me never owning them (I did download the demos for Spelunky and PVZ though).

I ain't complaining.

If you are using another person's 'home' console, as in game sharing, you have access to their BC titles, too.

Mr.Fusion

Halo Reach will not boot. It just says "Just getting your game ready. Your game will start soon." It has said this for hours. I've tried restarting the console and trying to start the game while offline. Should I just delete it and redownload?

.la1n

Halo Reach will not boot. It just says "Just getting your game ready. Your game will start soon." It has said this for hours. I've tried restarting the console and trying to start the game while offline. Should I just delete it and redownload?

Xbox is having issues with licenses, it's more likely related to that.

Yeah I've been having those issues since yesterday.

I was watching stuff on my external drive in the media player and an error message telling me the store couldn't connect kept taking me to the home page. Had to my console offline just to watch stuff.

Xbox store and Xbox core services having issues according to the the Xbox live status page

Bread

Banned
Hydro Thunder and Reach are great additions, but god dammit I just want CivRev please microsoft don't make me wait much longer.

It is painful trying to download all the DLC for Halo Reach. This interface is still so damn slow. Like 10+ years of slow Xbox dashboards and counting...

And yes, the emulation is terrible. Hope this is patched someday. Still feels better than Halo 5 though.

Think we'd ever get the KOTOR games as BC?
The PC version is great and would probably even run on a shitty old laptop. Just sayin'

HTupolev

The emulation did some whacky stuff to Reach's rain. The particles don't splash :( and the transparent cylinder around the camera that Bungie used to cheaply add background rain streaking, formerly a nice subtle effect, is now way too prominent and looks absolutely insane if you look up.

Thu_Dec_17_20-33-08_PST_2015_zpsfsm3iygo.png

Gears 1 wasn't available before the remaster though, just after (dashboard beta testing aside). I'm not being negative towards your idea as such, but the economic side makes it more profitable for third party publishers that have put money into remastering something to make it the only version you can purchase. It's nice of MS to let me play old and new Gears though, I'm happy about that, I just don't think others will go down that route very often, if ever.

Chris1

Gears 1 wasn't available before the remaster though, just after (dashboard beta testing aside). I'm not being negative towards your idea as such, but the economic side makes it more profitable for third party publishers that have put money into remastering something to make it the only version you can purchase. It's nice of MS to let me play old and new Gears though, I'm happy about that, I just don't think others will go down that route very often, if ever.
There has been a few indie games been enabled for BC when there's a remastered version, but yeah outside of MS I don't think well be seeing many from the big publishers. If that's the only games that aren't available then I'm fine with that.

Montresor

There has been a few indie games been enabled for BC when there's a remastered version, but yeah outside of MS I don't think well be seeing many from the big publishers. If that's the only games that aren't available then I'm fine with that.

This upsets me, but I shouldn't get angry at ResidentDante.

If the publishers are really going to go down this route, then Microsoft needs to put their foot down and take the decision away from them. Modify/improve the BC solution so that you're not repackaging binaries and forced to get permission from publishers.

Having said that, the new additions are great. The list is small, but games like Braid, Halo Reach, Deus Ex, Splosion Man are fantastic.

Splosion Man is one of the best platforming games of last gen IMO... I had so much fun with that game.

This upsets me, but I shouldn't get angry at ResidentDante.

If the publishers are really going to go down this route, then Microsoft needs to put their foot down and take the decision away from them. Modify/improve the BC solution so that you're not repackaging binaries and forced to get permission from publishers.

Having said that, the new additions are great. The list is small, but games like Braid, Halo Reach, Deus Ex, Splosion Man are fantastic.

Splosion Man is one of the best platforming games of last gen IMO... I had so much fun with that game.
There's nothing more I'd like to see than MS saying: "We've made every single 360 game run on the One and we don't need the rights to do it!"

It would calm publishers from remastering everything from last gen and focus on new games instead! (Hopefully)

Montresor

There's nothing more I'd like to see than MS saying: "We've made every single 360 game run on the One and we don't need the rights to do it!"

It would calm publishers from remastering everything from last gen and focus on new games instead! (Hopefully)

Maybe something that would make the wait for games a lot better would be proper store integration for a lot of these titles.

Imagine being a new XB1 owner who never played on 360 and fucking bam, Splosion Man is on the store for purchase, one of the best games from last gen, out of nowhere is a new playable game on XB1 and can be purchased for $10.

Microsoft HAS to do something about the XB1 store and 360 BC. Right now Splosion Man being on the XB1 doesn't mean as much if you have to go to www.xbox.com or on a physical 360 to buy it.

Maybe something that would make the wait for games a lot better would be proper store integration for a lot of these titles.

Imagine being a new XB1 owner who never played on 360 and fucking bam, Splosion Man is on the store for purchase, one of the best games from last gen, out of nowhere is a new playable game on XB1 and can be purchased for $10.

Microsoft HAS to do something about the XB1 store and 360 BC. Right now Splosion Man being on the XB1 doesn't mean as much if you have to go to www.xbox.com or on a physical 360 to buy it.
Totally agree, they need to make a storefront asap on the Xbox One for 360 titles!

jfoul

I expect all BC titles to eventually make it's way to a unified store. I also think we will see Xbox 360 BC games available on Win 10.

Alx

Is the retrieval of save games from the cloud supposed to work for all games ? During the preview it worked for the Kefling game but not for Mass Effect. Yesterday Just Cause 2 didn't find any save, while Assassin's Creed2 found one with only 27 minutes of gameplay history.
Maybe I messed up with some file uploads, but all of them ?

Good lord Reach runs like shit, in intensive moments the game runs at half speed.There's even parts of the campaign where there's NO TEXTURES. How did they think this was ready for release.

IMO new BC games should be tested through the Preview Program before going online to the public.

Daigoro

yay Spelunky!

but does it run like shit? because if so then whats the point?

do any BC games run at full speed without input delay?

Cynn

Really? I did a bunch of races earlier and didn't notice. Seemed pretty good to me.
It's pretty good but it's still a ways off. I went between the two platforms as I tried it to see what was different. It chugs a bit in races, especially when big track changes take place. It works well in challenges where you are the only boat competing though.

Y0j1mb0

yay Spelunky!

but does it run like shit? because if so then whats the point?

do any BC games run at full speed without input delay?

Spelunky is perfect. I do miss my pro display and daily runs from the PS4 version but it's Spelunky on Xbox One so I can't complain. Also, Deus Ex runs great too. Played it for about a couple of hours and all is well.

Top Bottom