• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is selling exceptionally well, but...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Nah, they got wrecked. There's no way to spin that crowd reaction.

That crowd reaction had exactly nothing to do with the games. It was purely the price and lack of DRM reveals. I'm a Sony fan and have no intention of ever getting an XB1, but I agree with him. In terms of games I think MS had the superior showing.

XB1 is selling exceptionally well?

I think we shall see how both really perform throughout the year the first. It had a great launch, a terrible January and then a great February.

I think MS just expected to have more market share. They didn't expect to get outsold 3:1 in the UK and consistently in the US there main markets.

Zok310

Banned
MS counted their eggs before they hatched. So I will go with scenario 2.

I really don't know why they thought that a $500 console would dominate the market. They are in for a rude awakening.

Into

Have we heard anything solid from the US yet in regards to Titanfall? It's been a weak since release now...

Likely waiting for it to hit 1 million

The game was hyped by their marketing department as the next big thing, they likely dont want a PR that says we sold X00.000 copies, it looks microscopic compared to the hype they built, and compared to the competition they are seemingly targeting to dethrone at some point.

Its one of the draw backs by not releasing it on 360 simultaneously, with that version they would have hit 1 million likely day 1.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
XB1 is selling exceptionally well?

I think we shall see how both really perform throughout the year the first. It had a great launch, a terrible January and then a great February.

I think MS just expected to have more market share. They didn't expect to get outsold 3:1 in the UK and consistently in the US there main markets.

They are not getting outsold 3/1 in the UK why do people keep saying this.

Game Guru

Altho you're correct, I think too many people underestimate how the extra four years for last gen really benefited Sony and PS3. Think about it; it wasn't until late '09/early '10 where the PS3 really began to pick up strong sales.

I think a lot of that was due to Wii dropoff (and TBH, had the gen ended then Wii's drop would not of looked as terrible as it does in hindsight, because it was about par for the course otherwise) and 360 players looking for new experiences. It was sort of like the pseudo-gen within a gen and belonged heavily to the PS3.

Which is why I doubt MS will be able to recover XBO like Sony did PS3; this gen is not going to be eight years. It's not even probably going to be six. I won't be surprised when PS5 drops in 2018 and neither should anybody else.

Do not conflate subjectivity with objectivity. Besides, QB and H5 aren't coming until '15, so they were as guilty at showing "far off" content as Sony.

At least they don't have their own TLG debacle yet.

To be fair, you might be right about that as well. Last gen was very long and it is possible that after 4 years, people shifted their buying habits to get something new, either by moving to PC, Mobile, or PS3 depending on tastes. However, the fact PS3 continued selling and sold enough to match the 360 in sales is due to Sony being better commited to keep platforms alive when compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Kinan

Where's the 360 & the OG xbox on that list?

Here you go:

ps4sales3fakqi.png

It is getting a bit too dense, so past gens are now open dots, current gen - solid dots.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
Both

Scenario 1 because they are really targeting 100M+ which is probably only possible if you get a runaway success or gimped competition.

Scenario 2 because they desperately need to say they are on top for something, anything!

MS may have "lot more money", but US company mentality means #1 SOOOOO much to them that they are unlikely to keep write blank cheques until it proves itself. A bit Catch-22, but US corporate mentality can sometimes be a little bit too success focussed and never comfortable with not being NUMBER 1!!! Competitiveness is valuable, but it can also be a curse.

ZehDon

Gold Member
i think they are good numbers but way below MS projections
"we want xbox to be the next water cooler"...
Exactly. They tipped their hand to their expectations. Best estimates don't have them passing 4m yet. They expected "TV TV TV TV Sports" and Titanfall alone to push at least 5+ million at US$500.00. The aggressive bundles, price cuts, retailer discount programs, and Microsoft's mad dash to catch Sony's indie initiatives advertise that the Xbone is selling well below Microsoft's expectations.

Top Bottom