• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is selling exceptionally well, but...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This means nothing. Xbox has Titanfall and PvZ spreading the FPS crowd out.

If only Sony had a first party shooter that had sold 2m+ units, if only...

If they had I would have guessed it would be a bit spread out too.

And that's not counting Warframe and Blacklight.

jond76

Banned
If only Sony had a first party shooter that had sold 2m+ units, if only...

If they had I would have guessed it would be a bit spread out too.

And that's not counting Warframe and Blacklight.

All I hear around here is that the KZ mp is dead.

ironcreed

Banned
It's definitely a next gen system, but so is the Wii U. Both are part if eighth gen

But let's be honest. The Wii U is a hell of a lot closer to the 360 and PS3. I can understand the contempt for Microsoft for some of the shit they tried to pull, but the Xbox One is still by far more next-gen power-wise. Which is what I am talking about here. Not quite as much as the PS4, but a nice leap all the same.

Sky Chief

wat

Seriously ? 400m to 1B ? What were they smoking thinking they could reach 400m ?

They also said they were going to "kill" Sony at E3 2013. It just shows how far removed from reality MS is and further proof that scenario one is the root of the panic while scenario two is obviously still important but a symptom rather than a cause.

jayu26

I reject the OP's false premise.

nice try.
tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif

lol.

Marketshare is definitely more important for MS than Sony. Not that Sony would be happy if MS was at 8 million to PS4's 6 at this point, but Sony's not relying on throwing money at third parties to delay/cancel games on competing systems, at least nowhere near the extent that MS is. That's something that gets harder to do as your marketshare shrinks.

Beyond that it's just a matter of momentum- it's very difficult to come back from behind in this industry, since both developers and consumers will favor the system that everyone else already has. This is less of a thing on the developer side now that multiplatform development is so easy (which I'd imagine is a big reason why the PS3 managed to make a comeback,) but the rise of online multiplayer and the lack of cross-platform MP on consoles has made it still be a big thing on the consumer side.

In the end if MS manages to make a lot of money (or at least not lose money again) off of the XBone they'll be happy. Realistically, though, the probability of that happening shrinks every time someone buys a PS4 instead of an XBone.

pixlexic

Banned
the xbone hate here is exceptional.

really if you have 10 trees and 2 out the 10 are twice as high.. one being a little more than twice as high.. you wouldn't called both exceptional?

that is just silliness.

Bgamer90

Banned
I mean, in both meaning & feeling. Xbox 360 was a true successor to the Original Xbox, because it had the same good feel of it in which it was mostly designed as a gaming box first & foremost.

Xbox One's just an imitation. It doesn't even feel like a real successor to the Original Xbox & Xbox 360 at all, it's mostly a all-in-one box in disguise.

...Eh... okay. If you say so.

really if you have 10 trees and 2 out the 10 are twice as high.. one being a little more than twice as high.. you wouldn't called both exceptional?

that is just silliness.

Um. What? We're talking about loss of market share in key territories such as the U.S. and the UK. Not trees ;) Seriously though - many of us don't have any XB1 hate. I want them both to succeed. I just think that anyone who thinks Microsoft has been doing exceptionally well is missing the mark entirely.

Hellshy.

I know MS said sales are at 4 mil but did they ever say those are thru numbers to consumers? If that's the case then its doing well and manufacturing is doing a great job. I just get the feeling that those are not really the sell thru numbers and its probably b/c when I visit my local gamestop every week the employees are like hyenas when it comes to xbox one. They have lots of stock and there is green everywhere inside. The store front windows are plastered with green titanfall and xbox one posters and just one tiny ps4 poster in the middle.

omonimo

Banned

that is just silliness.
Remember to me the last console who sold exceptionally & drops the price after two months. It's not terrible but surely it's neither exceptional, or at least not for the same microsoft expetactions.

that is just silliness.

Oh god, lol... and I thought the old car analogies were gold :D

TheLaw

Banned
They also said they were going to "kill" Sony at E3 2013. It just shows how far removed from reality MS is and further proof that scenario one is the root of the panic while scenario two is obviously still important but a symptom rather than a cause.

I think they did kill Sony at E3 in terms of game showing.

dr_rus

The only console that is selling exceptionally well right now is PS4.
XBO is selling good for its price in the US but there's nothing exceptional about it. And there certainly isn't much to be proud of on a global scale of things.
XBO is certainly NOT doing as good as MS hoped for. Hence the price cuts in some regions and the exodus of the executives. But this is also relative to overall market performance. No console exist on the market on its own. They might've been happy with current sales if it wasn't for PS4 selling much better.

Game Guru

People who say the race is a marathon and not a sprint ignore the fact that of the three console makers, Sony is the best marathon runner, hence why PS3 had caught up to 360 sales despite a launch price of 599 US Dollars. Microsoft and Nintendo are more akin to sprinters. Thus when the PS4 sprints out of the gate like it was Usain Bolt, you kinda believe Microsoft is going to quickly fall behind and never catch up.

People who say the race is a marathon and not a sprint ignore the fact that of the three console makers, Sony is the best marathon runner, hence why PS3 had caught up to 360 sales despite a launch price of 599 US Dollars. Microsoft and Nintendo are more akin to sprinters. Thus when the PS4 sprints out of the gate like it was Usain Bolt, you kinda believe Microsoft is going to quickly fall behind and never catch up.

WW there is no chance but in the U.S there is still a chance for them to lead.

I think they did kill Sony at E3 in terms of game showing.

Nope, Sony having FFXV and KH3 (especially KH3) at their event meant nothing MS showed would move them ahead. And yes, I do know both are also on X1 (like the worse version), but that doesn't change the impact it had at Sony's event. Really, MS never had a chance. Sony didn't even really need to show anything (didn't they just reveal the Order and that was all)?

Nope, Sony having FFXV and KH3 (especially KH3) at their event meant nothing MS showed would move them ahead. And yes, I do know both are also on X1 (like the worse version), but that doesn't change the impact it had at Sony's event. Really, MS never had a chance. Sony didn't even really need to show anything (didn't they just reveal the Order and that was all)?

They are still on xbox one too so i dont think that is an impact at all. Also Sony did have to show things,you are telling me you care more about their bottom line than your own? I was disappointed they had no games at E3 besides the order and everything else was not new. And then gamescom came and still disappointing. I am hoping this E3 they show lots of games because its dry right now imo.

Game Guru

WW there is no chance but in the U.S there is still a chance for them to lead.

Of course, but the problem there is that they aren't leading in their biggest territory, which is the U.S. Microsoft is not doing poorly in sales with the XB1, just that it is in a race against the best marathoner of the video game industry who just sprinted out of the gate faster than any console ever. I've said many times that if MS wants to close the gap, they need to drop Kinect, drop the price of hardware, and drop the prices and restrictions of their services to match Sony's. Microsoft needs to compete with Sony in price and features.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Ummm the price and drm free saved Sony's conference not a bunch of multiplats.

Content wise MS was much better since they should games that were actually coming out sometime soon.

They are still on xbox one too so i dont think that is an impact at all. Also Sony did have to show things,you are telling me you care more about their bottom line than your own? I was disappointed they had no games at E3 besides the order and everything else was not new. And then gamescom came and still disappointing. I am hoping this E3 they show lots of games because its dry right now imo.

Content wise MS was much better since they should games that were actually coming out sometime soon.

Nope, they absolutely had an impact, they are two franchises identified with PlayStation and their reveal was identified with Sony's E3.

Seriously, the moment I saw them (especially KH3 which I never expected) it was pretty much a given that they had E3 in the bag. The Order, and the DRM stance just sealed the deal.

I do wish they'd show more but hey, I'd rather see things when they're close to completion rather than years off (See Driveclub, QB) and I know Sony's going to deliver on the games so I ain't even mad.

I'm sure had MS actually been competitive, Sony would have pulled all the stops but they just had no reason to. Might as well let MS show all their cards and save announcements for this year.

Nope, they absolutely had an impact, they are two franchises identified with PlayStation and their reveal was identified with Sony's E3.

Seriously, the moment I saw them (especially KH3 which I never expected) it was pretty much a given that they had E3 in the bag. The Order, and the DRM stance just sealed the deal.

I do wish they'd show more but hey, I'd rather see things when they're close to completion rather than years off (See Driveclub, QB) and I know Sony's going to deliver on the games so I ain't even mad.

I'm sure had MS actually been competitive, Sony would have pulled all the stops but they just had no reason to. Might as well let MS show all their cards and save announcements for this year.

I dont think it was in the bag since we found out it was multiplatform later on. If it was exclusive then that is another story. I got used to them having games and multiple like last gen so i expected much more. MS was competitive with games in their show. I expect a lot this E3 from them so we will see.

Altho you're correct, I think too many people underestimate how the extra four years for last gen really benefited Sony and PS3. Think about it; it wasn't until late '09/early '10 where the PS3 really began to pick up strong sales.

I think a lot of that was due to Wii dropoff (and TBH, had the gen ended then Wii's drop would not of looked as terrible as it does in hindsight, because it was about par for the course otherwise) and 360 players looking for new experiences. It was sort of like the pseudo-gen within a gen and belonged heavily to the PS3.

Which is why I doubt MS will be able to recover XBO like Sony did PS3; this gen is not going to be eight years. It's not even probably going to be six. I won't be surprised when PS5 drops in 2018 and neither should anybody else.

Do not conflate subjectivity with objectivity. Besides, QB and H5 aren't coming until '15, so they were as guilty at showing "far off" content as Sony.

At least they don't have their own TLG debacle yet.

Yoda

I think Microsoft will deem the X1 a non-failure if it manages to pick up some momentum in the NA + UK markets. They clearly misread the market with their idea of creating an "entertainment box first which happens to do gaming" mentality. The article linked earlier in this thread about their obscene projections seems to reiterate this sentiment.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-microsoft-aims-for-1-billion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units/

But they most likely will by default attract the people who buy annual mega title like CoD and Madden. This fact + some non-fucking-retarded marketing/PR/business tactics like a Kinectless SKU or a price cut for the holidays can rebound a rather underwhelming launch. The absolute scariest fact MS executives are facing is that multiplats in most cases will be superior on the PS4; the opposite of last gen for the 360 v. PS3. This fact can't be changed by marketing and will most likely get mentioned in almost every single game review. Imagine if Titfanfall 2 isn't exclusive to MS and the version with visual superiority isn't the X1? The best they can do is moneyhat to make the PS4 version inferior whether it be DLC or timed exclusivity but they can't do anything about the inferior hardware of their machine.

The best way to hedge against the fact their machine has lower tech specs is to have a larger marketshare, if they were the dominate console developers would develop for X1 and then port to PS4 for economical reasons. Given that more and more this doesn't seem to be the case it will be the reverse and a port to X1 will mean taking shortcuts somewhere on the visual side of the game.

Overall I don't consider their current sales a failure or a success, it could have been worse sure but that doesn't mean its doing well. Getting beat in a market they handily destroyed Sony in (the U.S.) isn't a good omen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Altho you're correct, I think too many people underestimate how the extra four years for last gen really benefited Sony and PS3. Think about it; it wasn't until late '09/early '10 where the PS3 really began to pick up strong sales.

I think a lot of that was due to Wii dropoff (and TBH, had the gen ended then Wii's drop would not of looked as terrible as it does in hindsight, because it was about par for the course otherwise) and 360 players looking for new experiences. It was sort of like the pseudo-gen within a gen and belonged heavily to the PS3.

Which is why I doubt MS will be able to recover XBO like Sony did PS3; this gen is not going to be eight years. It's not even probably going to be six. I won't be surprised when PS5 drops in 2018 and neither should anybody else.

Do not conflate subjectivity with objectivity. Besides, QB and H5 aren't coming until '15, so they were as guilty at showing "far off" content as Sony.

At least they don't have their own TLG debacle yet.
Aren't you the one doing that it's pretty obvious when someone is stating their opinion hint... it's when no hard facts are involved.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You can apply this same argument to call of duty with MS you know a franchise that sells extremely well (FF ain't doing too hot now). No one does because it's obvious when the games involved are multiplatform

Top Bottom