• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is selling exceptionally well, but...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Honestly, I am not even sure if those titles are as important as they once were. Judgement to my knowledge didn't perform near as well as expected and it seems like most people were disappointed in Halo 4. I think they will perform exceptionally well especially Halo, but I am not sure if those are the XB1 saviors.

Judgement and halo 4 were disappointing. Judgement was pure shit. If halo and gears suck again I'm dumping xbox and going to PS4. And there's probably a lot more like me.

XB1 sales so far are fine. If they keep at this trajectory they will make money off of games and services.

They make money off games through marketshare. If they keep at this trajectory than Sony is going to dominate third party sales which is where the real money is. That didn't happen last gen.

Biker19

Banned
Honestly, I am not even sure if those titles are as important as they once were. Judgement to my knowledge didn't perform near as well as expected and it seems like most people were disappointed in Halo 4. I think they will perform exceptionally well especially Halo, but I am not sure if those are the XB1 saviors.

Judgement and halo 4 were disappointing. Judgement was pure shit. If halo and gears suck again I'm dumping xbox and going to PS4. And there's probably a lot more like me.

I agree. If Halo 5 & the next Gears game doesn't improve, then those series will most likely go the way of series like Crash Bandicoot & Spyro the Dragon: Down into irrelevancy.

Coen

I must imagine Microsoft is at least somewhat disappointed with sales thusfar. It sacrificed mindshare in large parts of the world to keep up with projected demand in its historically strong markets. But Sony is besting them, even in those markets, without any compelling exclusives and has seen even greater success in markets Microsoft isn't supplying.

gtj1092

Do all the tier 2 countries that imported consoles count as sales. Just wondering if xones are being bought from tier 1 countries in bulk and then resold which would count as sales. Or are stores redistributing them within their own chains to tier 2 countries which wouldn't count as sales. Just trying to guess how many are actually sold to consumers and not other stores in different countries. Because while some like to say xone sales will go up some once they launch everywhere and don't think it will make any difference because I've seen too many pictures of non launch countries with stacks of xones sitting on shelves.

EGM1966

I would imagine console sales (at least launch) were in line with expectations. Not sure about more recent sales as that's a bit nebulous worldwide and there are some hints that the slowdown was a little more severe than the launch would indicate.

The issue for MS though is marketshare and in particular split of multi-platform games. I suspect sales of CoD and to a lesser extent BF4 were acceptable due to carryover trends and strong launch. But if the PS4 becomes the bigger platform for 3rd party sales (ratio split wise) and XB1 becomes more of a "for the exclusives" console plus the media stuff then they'll be unhappy. Particularly in US last gen the 360 saw the bulk of most 3rd party titles selling on MS platform with PS3 seeing a smaller split or being for the Sony exclusives.

I think there are already signs that if PS4 continues to get better versions of big 3rd party titles people will lean towards that platform when buying them which hurts MS (even if console sales are good).

Thrakier

It's doing fine. Most people on this forum give it shit more than it deserves.

If there is a console that deserves to get shit, It's the XB1.It's a joke of a follow up to the 360. They did everything wrong what they were able to. The good numbers of the XB1 is not because it's a great product. It's because the 360 was loved in the US.

If there is a console that deserves to get shit, It's the XB1.It's a joke of a follow up to the 360. They did everything wrong what they were able to. The good numbers of the XB1 is not because it's a great product. It's because the 360 was loved in the US.

This.

Summed it up pretty well there bud.

Chances are that it's below expectations,
like some have stated already,
there is surplus stock, there's even so much stock some countries like Germany redistribute their stock to tier 2 countries...
So they have enough stock to provide for the demand in their own country and neighbouring countries.

At this stage I think they expected to still sell out.

"Exceptionally" really isn't the word to be using there.

Pretty much this.

Duster

The problem is that this is not only a short term game for selling a lot of consoles but a long term one for mindshare. Even if the they sell more than with the 360, it doesn't mean as much long term if Ps4 keeps beating them by large margins. Eventually it will become the Xbox live argument that "this is where my friends are" for the ps4.

I think that's the issue and why they're doing things like Titanfall bundles.
They need as many people as possible to get on board early so their friends and family join them at a later date, at the moment pushing Titanfall is the best way of doing that even if it means less profit in the short-term.

I'm also assuming there's a large number of people that don't own either the PS4 or XB1 but are amassing a library of PS4 games via PS+, it's going to be hard swaying them long-term so they need to be aggressive in attracting people in the short-term

Kinan

When will we get some fresh official X1 sales data? I'm itching to update the graph (last point for X1 is still shipped :p ):

ps4sales34cqwn.jpg

Hardware sales are a marathon, not a sprint. a whole lot of console gamers havent bought a console yet and wont buy it until theres a bigger lineup and/or a cheaper price

R&D

Banned
I think both PS4 and XBO sales are very front-loaded. They seem to be selling even better than the previous gen but it's an illusion. The hardcore gamers are just replacing their old machines. I think the sales are going to slow down fast.

sTaTIx

[...]The PS4 is above and beyond all projections and publishers are re-calibrating to this. I heard that activision is going to make a public announcement about COD changing to the PS4 as lead platform. I have no idea if this means DLC (I assume MS locked that down for multiple years) but COD was a XBOX 360 game that happened to be on the ps3 last gen. That will be a hugely symbolic move... and don't discount what that means to the masses.

COD 2014 was unveiled at Destination Playstation earlier this month, so your rumor would make perfect sense.

But when does MS's DLC deal with COD end, anyway? Anyone know? Are you sure it's still locked up for a couple years? I find it extremely hard to imagine a scenario where MS's deal isn't all-encompassing (timed DLC, advertising rights, PR announcements, lead platform, etc.); thus, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where MS would tolerate Activision publicly touting the PS4 as COD's lead/best platform, while there is still a DLC deal in place that is supposed to be promoting Xbox.

My guess is that any deal Xbox has with COD would be over, and that opens the window for Activision to switch the lead platform to PlayStation.

SparkTR

Microsoft never had a clue about what they were getting into with the Xbox. They thought that the living room was going to be the major threat towards their Windows empire, so they went all-in with the Xbox to impede Sony (and lost billions in the process). We now know that the Mobile market was that major threat, and they've been doing fuck-all for the last decade to deal with that. I don't doubt as far as Microsoft is concerned the Xbox as a high-end dedicated gaming console is a dead-end, and if they had hindsight they would have scrapped that project from the start.

COD 2014 was unveiled at Destination Playstation earlier this month, so your rumor would make perfect sense.

But when does MS's DLC deal with COD end, anyway? Anyone know? Are you sure it's still locked up for a couple years? I find it extremely hard to imagine a scenario where MS's deal isn't all-encompassing (timed DLC, advertising rights, PR announcements, lead platform, etc.); thus, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where MS would tolerate Activision publicly touting the PS4 as COD's lead/best platform, while there is still a DLC deal in place that is supposed to be promoting Xbox.

My guess is that any deal Xbox has with COD would be over, and that opens the window for Activision to switch the lead platform to PlayStation.

I find the idea that Activision would make COD a chiefly PS associated franchise extremely hard to believe personally.

I don't think MS allows the Xbox division the bottomless resources some seem to believe they do, but I think they'd liquidate their entire budget and drive it straight to Activision's doorstep at the first hint such a switch on Acti's part could be on the table before anything else.

Just can't see it happening... unless Activision are genuinely pissed about MS' treating Respawn like their new golden boys, given the history there.

Mask

I think we're going to see some really sluggish sales after this month, and leading right up to E3, and possibly even beyond that if they can't show off some must-have stuff there.

They had Titanfall this month, but after that, none of their known exclusives have dates, so you're looking at potentially nothing first party being released all the way up to E3, and maybe even a month or two after that.

Add this possible lack of first party games to the general consensus of all multiplats running better on PS4, and the next few months could be very bad for MS, and the PS4 could add another million or 2 to it's lead.

LNBL

Ah so you speak for all the people that have bought the product?

Thrakier

Ah so you speak for all the people that have bought the product?

Yes, of course. How can you question this? It should be clear by now that I alone are the standard which the industry and consumers should be held too.

Or I was just expressing my opinion. Maybe. I dunno. You decide plz. =)

It depends..

Did they wanted to be the number 1 games console this generation in the US? Then its 50/50 atm.

Did they wanted to be the number 1 games console this generation in the world? Then its failing atm.

Xbox One: Hey, I am above average! So what if the PS4's ahead of me? There's no shame in being second. [imagines]

Announcer: And now, Avis Rent-A-Car is proud to present the second best band in America. Will you welcome Garfunkel, Messina, Oates, and the Xbox One singing their number two hit, "Born to Runner-Up." [Band begins to play; audience boos]

Xbox One: Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?

LifEndz

Wait, is what OP said about MS selling an X1 bundle that includes both Forza and TitanFall in the UK for the regular price true?

I agree that is selling exceptionally well despite MS's ridiculous anti-consumer policies (and the ensuing about-face), the high price, the poor tech, the lack of compelling exclusive software, etc.. We'll see how it does in a year.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
While MS have dramatically misread the market, I'd be very surprised if, internally, they didn't have a few scenarios worked out depending on the initial success of the Xbone. So I don't think that Scenario One is particularly realistic. A company the size of MS, and with the catastrophic product failures that they've had under their belt, I think would if nothing else have planned for their product to not sell 1 billion units.

On the other hand, it's clear from the fact that they have already gone into panic mode, less than six months after launch, that their figures must at least be at the low end of acceptable. So while I think that Scenario B is more plausible, I don't think it's reasonable to infer that MS are happy with the Xbone's sales figures or that they are meeting or exceeding targets. So I think it's a kind of Scenario B.5.

The thing is, I don't know of any product situation with MS where they released a product to lacklustre feedback, which was handily beaten by a far superior product, but which they nevertheless stuck with, improved the value of, and eventually turned around. Bing is on life support, and charitably Windows Phone can only be called a 'work in progress'. It will be very interesting to see what, if anything, MS do to try and save the Xbox brand. My feeling is that if we think MS's actions so far have been of dubious moral worth, then going forward we are going to see some outright horrible ways of trying to extract money from their userbase. When you mismanage a product so spectacularly that you spend $100 million just on making the controller worse, you have to recoup that investment somehow.

sTaTIx

I find the idea that Activision would make COD a chiefly PS associated franchise extremely hard to believe personally.

I don't think MS allows the Xbox division the bottomless resources some seem to believe they do, but I think they'd liquidate their entire budget and drive it straight to Activision's doorstep at the first hint such a switch on Acti's part could be on the table before anything else.

Just can't see it happening... unless Activision are genuinely pissed about MS' treating Respawn like their new golden boys, given the history there.

It could very easily be that MS just doesn't see the worth in pumping money into COD anymore.

I mean, when you think about the sheer amount of money they spent on timed DLC, advertising, and PR, etc., on COD for the 360, in the end they still came out second place to the PS3 last generation. And they had the COD deal for Xbox One, in addition to Titanfall and Battlefield 4 deals. All these deals have done shit all for them, with their console falling significantly behind the PS4 in spite of everything.

Then there's also the perception (be it true or false) that the COD series is in decline, and that its popularity and weight in the industry is flagging. Perhaps MS felt it best to stop pumping funds into that IP and start looking into other avenues to invest in (first-party studios would be nice). Maybe they're taking pages out of Sony's playbook in this regard. Less emphasis on meaningless DLC and 3rd-party partnerships, and more investment on internal studios.

BigDug13

Hardware sales are a marathon, not a sprint. a whole lot of console gamers havent bought a console yet and wont buy it until theres a bigger lineup and/or a cheaper price

And they'll buy the one more of their friends and family own. Which is why early marketshare means so much with the online ecosystems that consoles exist in now.

BigDug13

Wait, is what OP said about MS selling an X1 bundle that includes both Forza and TitanFall in the UK for the regular price true?

There was a thread about some shop in UK selling Forza bundle for 30 quid less than the normal price, then Titanfall being reduced to 30 quid, so essentially it was a bundle with both games for just the console price.

shandy706

You're ignoring games though. It's also getting a few good numbers from the fact that they delivered exclusives up front that people want.

Killer Instinct, Forza, Dead Rising, Titanfall....a lot of people bought the console just for those games. Heck, my wife loves and was absolutely excited for Zoo Tycoon. I gave her the option of the X1 or PC copy...and she chose X1. Fine with me as I'm a KI/Forza fan. Nothing to do with loyalty to the brand or loving the 360.

Without those games I would have laughed at the X1 and walked away.

It's really simple.

The user base we are seeing adopting XB1 are 360 loyalist who stuck with the brand despite MS handling everything you could possibly think wrong with the one.

Its front loaded. That momentum will die off, and barely be held up by MS exclusives.

Last Gen MS had the ability to tout multiplats played better on their system, despite their competition being head over them in exclusive game development.

MS doesn't have that advantage this time. It's pretty simple.

- More expensive Console
- Worst performing
- worst 1st party studios

That doesn't bode well for long term productivity.

The amount of money that was dumped into the Kinect and other R&D will have to be recouped somehow, and how they plan to do that is yet to be seen.

madmackem

It simply can't be doing what they want here in the uk, if it was on target would ms have slashed price so soon?. I'd say not a chance, if it was doing above what they wanted but getting beat off sony doing crazy well they'd have held firm on price and pushed on in year two.

FiggyCal

Banned
I know preferences and all that. But you're getting free games for one system and it costs 100 dollars less, and games run better on it. It's such an easy choice, honestly.

R_Deckard

is it doing as well as MS want it to?

I will be honest, I did not think Xbox One was going to sell as well as it has been. Most estimates puts it at ~4million, which is very good for a system that costs $500. Hopefully, even the most anti-Xbox/MS person can see that these are exceptionally good numbers. Then they started doing unofficial (later official) price cuts in UK and started doing $500 TitanFall and Forza bundles (these are two separate bundles) in the US. This is probably also happening in Canada. Which leads me to believe that either of following scenarios are taking place at the MS HQ:

Scenario One: Internal targets for Xbox One at MS are/were ridiculous. This is a case that we have seen all too often last gen, albeit in the software side of things. Take recent example of Tomb Raider for instance. Last year when most of us were surprised and kind of jubilant about Tomb Raider's sales numbers, Square was talking about how they were disappointed that it did not meet their internal projections. Could MS have fallen for these kinds of over expectations from a product that was never going to achieve them? Although I don't subscript to this notion, I think this is one of the possibilities. After all, companies don't do price cuts or perceived price cuts unless they are not hitting internal targets.

Scenario Two: This is the one that I think describes what is actually happening. MS actually likes those numbers and Xbox One is on track or exceeding their internal projection. What they don't like is the fact that PS4 has out sold them in two of their best markets two months in a row (and might be on track to doing so in the month of March). This is big problem for a them because so much of their business model relies on locking up third party content early on in the generation. If PS4 continues to outsell Xbox One in US and UK, then TitanFall 2 exclusivity becomes that much more expensive. Call of Duty and Battlefield map packs become much more expensive. MS might have a lot of more money than Sony to burn on these things, but at certain point it will become ridiculous from the business stand point.

Do you guys think either of my scenarios is what is happening or is it something I haven't even thought of?

Edit: It seems that some people are taken aback by my use of the word "exceptional" (I did over use that word actually). I meant it was exceptional from my stand point. PS4's numbers are Godly, but Xbox One's numbers are not what I thought they would be and hence they appear exceptional to me.

Option 2 for Sure, Sales are good for X1 and if not for PS4 would be the most successful (Remember that the 360/PS3 came out on their own with no competition/lost sales to competition) so the numbers are even more impressive. But it is all about the Portfolio of the captive audience as the OP has said, THIS and only this Matter most to MS losing in the UK and USA is not in there plans, I expect and aggressive E3 and Xmas for X1 owners!

mindsale

I bought one last night, completing current-gen ownership. What no one will tell you is that the Xbox One smells way better than the PS4 or Wii U. It filled my exercise room with this fragrant tofffee / plastic / coffee kinda smell. Current gen won.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's really simple.

The user base we are seeing adopting XB1 are 360 loyalist who stuck with the brand despite MS handling everything you could possibly think wrong with the one.

Not really. There are many people who are getting the console simply based on the games they are interested in that aren't on the PS4.

Anyway, I would have to assume that MS knew that it wouldn't be in the top spot with the original (online check in) policies but who knows. Overall, the system is doing pretty well but I don't think they were prepared for the PS4 being $100 cheaper. Think they assumed the console would be the same price ($500).

I thought months before the Xbox One launched that the system would hit $400 by Xmas of this year and it looks like that will be true considering the recent bundles.

The system could still have higher market share than the Xbox 360 during its gen while still being behind the PS4 due to how much Nintendo has dropped off. I personally think it will happen but we'll see.

Really liking my Xbox One. Very solid recent games as well as great features for getting into games quickly. Much more polished than the Xbox 360 was back in 2005-2006 IMO.

I know preferences and all that. But you're getting free games for one system and it costs 100 dollars less, and games run better on it. It's such an easy choice, honestly.

An easy choice for you maybe but I'm pretty sure most people buy a specific console because it has the games that they want to play on it. MS just made it harder for people to justify their purchase because of the things you mentioned.

Con_Smith

Banned
It's the most successful launch for Xbox in history, hard to be upset with that. Remember people, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Once titles like Halo and Gears release, even the most die hard Halo 4 haters are going to buy an XB1 for Halo 5.

I'm laughing out loud because there is a chance you really believe this.

An easy choice for you maybe but I'm pretty sure most people buy a specific console because it has the games that they want to play on it. MS just made it harder for people to justify their purchase because of the things you mentioned.
Maybe but right now neither console have exclusives that would make you really need to own one over the other. So for now the cheaper one, that runs multiplatform games better and offers a free game every month seems like it would be the better option.

Pimpbaa

I'm glad it's sell well, even if I don't want one. The quicker MS and Sony get their consoles out there, the quicker we can get away from cross gen multiplatforms titles

Curufinwe

I think if they can keep pre price-drop sale split to 60-40 or 55-45 vs PS4 they're doing well, but if it starts getting into 75-25 territory that's a problem, because they might get to the situation where a price drop isn't enough to recapture momentum.

I don't see any way they can keep it below 60-40 worldwide given how weak the demand is outside of North America.

Veive257

Neo Member
In my highly scientific study yesterday, there were Xbox Ones on the shelf (regular and free Titanfall edition) at both Target & Walmart nearby, but no PS4s at either.

2014-03-17%2013.58.31.jpg

2014-03-17%2013.58.11.jpg

zQUW7DvT

Maybe but right now neither console have exclusives that would make you really need to own one over the other. So for now the cheaper one, that runs multiplatform games better and offers a free game every month seems like it would be the better option.

It would be the better option for people who don't care about exclusives. Those who are buying one console or the other, are buying for the exclusives that they know will be coming only to that specific consoles (halo, gears, uncharted, infamous etc)

It's really simple.

Its front loaded. That momentum will die off, and barely be held up by MS exclusives.

Last Gen MS had the ability to tout multiplats played better on their system, despite their competition being head over them in exclusive game development.

MS doesn't have that advantage this time. It's pretty simple.

- More expensive Console
- Worst performing
- worst 1st party studios

That doesn't bode well for long term productivity.

The amount of money that was dumped into the Kinect and other R&D will have to be recouped somehow, and how they plan to do that is yet to be seen.

Nice opinions.

coldfoot

Banned
Where are we getting the almost ~4 million Xbox One's sold number from?
Last gen 75% of 360 sales were in US+UK. This gen it's the same if not even more (like 80-85%) Have US + UK for XB1 hit 3M yet?

The system could still have higher market share than the Xbox 360 during its gen while still being behind the PS4 due to how much Nintendo has dropped off. I personally think it will happen but we'll see..
So you're saying "dem casuals" who bolstered the Wii's installed base are the same sort of people who will buy an X1 or a PS4?

Nope.

The notion that X1 will have a higher marketshare than 360 is laughable. 360 had everything going for it, including a headstart, and it managed to pull 80 million (probably 85-90m by the time it leaves store shelves). X1 has none of 360's advantages, and with economic times being the way they are, not only are we going to see a sharp decrease in multi-console owners, but the value of a cheaper console will be magnified.

If X1 managed to pull 40 million worldwide (75% of that in UK/NA, most likely) I would call that a victory, considering what they're working with.

jayu26

Where are we getting the almost ~4 million Xbox One's sold number from?
Last gen 75% of 360 sales were in US+UK. This gen it's the same if not even more (like 80-85%) Have US + UK for XB1 hit 3M yet?

I saw that number often in the NPD thread, so I assumed that Gaf consensus was ~4million.

Pain

Banned
XB1 sales so far are fine. If they keep at this trajectory they will make money off of games and services.

The worry is, and I think it's legitimate, that it's hard to imagine the trajectory holding. They are only out in 13 territories but there's a reason they don't give a shit about tier 2 or tier 3, they aren't going to sell a lot there. The machine was designed for the US first, western EU second. They are behind in both. That is reason for concern.

I'm not ready to jump on the XB1 is doomed train yet. Titanfall, or really any game, can turn the fortunes, but as of now - yes, good start but valid concerns. The PS4 is above and beyond all projections and publishers are re-calibrating to this. I heard that activision is going to make a public announcement about COD changing to the PS4 as lead platform. I have no idea if this means DLC (I assume MS locked that down for multiple years) but COD was a XBOX 360 game that happened to be on the ps3 last gen. That will be a hugely symbolic move... and don't discount what that means to the masses.

Also, don't sleep on inFamous. It will be very, very, close to Titanfall XB1 this month. Sony is also doing far more digital sales than MS so far (which is a weird switch from the middle of last gen).
Yes please! I'm tired of getting 1 month late DLC. I'm just not hyped for it by then.

Top Bottom