• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is selling exceptionally well, but...

jond76

Banned
If there is a console that deserves to get shit, It's the XB1.It's a joke of a follow up to the 360. They did everything wrong what they were able to. The good numbers of the XB1 is not because it's a great product. It's because the 360 was loved in the US.

I hate posts like this. You assume too much and state your opinion as fact. I think the Xbox is a good product, and my opinion is as valid as yours.

Did I also like the 360? Yep, but you think that I and others have no brain to make a console decision based on nothing more than blind fanboy devotion.

Its insulting and it saddens me to see this as an accepted view on the forum.

Bgamer90

Banned
So you're saying "dem casuals" who bolstered the Wii's installed base are the same sort of people who will buy an X1 or a PS4?

Nope.

Never said that. At all. There's more room for marketshare for both Sony and MS this gen in comparison to last since Nintendo took such a huge drop.

The notion that X1 will have a higher marketshare than 360 is laughable. 360 had everything going for it, including a headstart, and it managed to pull 80 million (probably 85-90m by the time it leaves store shelves). X1 has none of 360's advantages, and with economic times being the way they are, not only are we going to see a sharp decrease in multi-console owners, but the value of a cheaper console will be magnified.

Yet it's off to a better start in terms of sales in comparison to the Xbox 360.

Xbox 360's market share was about 30% last gen if I remember correctly. I don't see how it's impossible for the Xbox One to get ~35%. You even pretty much said that none of the systems will match the original Wii in sales so it's a bit funny that you say my notion is "laughable".

If X1 managed to pull 40 million worldwide (75% of that in UK/NA, most likely) I would call that a victory, considering what they're working with.

They should if this gen lasts long enough. Think it's safe to say they will at least reach 6 million by the end of this year. Times that by about 7 years or so with possible increases for price drops and I don't see how that would be a "hard victory".

XB1 sales so far are fine. If they keep at this trajectory they will make money off of games and services.

The worry is, and I think it's legitimate, that it's hard to imagine the trajectory holding. They are only out in 13 territories but there's a reason they don't give a shit about tier 2 or tier 3, they aren't going to sell a lot there. The machine was designed for the US first, western EU second. They are behind in both. That is reason for concern.

I'm not ready to jump on the XB1 is doomed train yet. Titanfall, or really any game, can turn the fortunes, but as of now - yes, good start but valid concerns. The PS4 is above and beyond all projections and publishers are re-calibrating to this. I heard that activision is going to make a public announcement about COD changing to the PS4 as lead platform. I have no idea if this means DLC (I assume MS locked that down for multiple years) but COD was a XBOX 360 game that happened to be on the ps3 last gen. That will be a hugely symbolic move... and don't discount what that means to the masses.

Also, don't sleep on inFamous. It will be very, very, close to Titanfall XB1 this month. Sony is also doing far more digital sales than MS so far (which is a weird switch from the middle of last gen).

Why would they switch lead platforms when Ghosts sold better on the X1 and Microsoft has a DLC timed exclusive deal with Activision?

Biker19

Banned
Ah so you speak for all the people that have bought the product?

I hate posts like this. You assume too much and state your opinion as fact. I think the Xbox is a good product, and my opinion is as valid as yours.

Did I also like the 360? Yep, but you think that I and others have no brain to make a console decision based on nothing more than blind fanboy devotion.

Its insulting and it saddens me to see this as an accepted view on the forum.

Thrakier's just telling the truth. Xbox One is in no way a real successor to the Xbox 360 at all.

And they'll buy the one more of their friends and family own. Which is why early marketshare means so much with the online ecosystems that consoles exist in now.

Which is why it's so important. Word of mouth spreads, & as soon as they buy a specific console, their friends &/or family will follow along.

J-Rzez

Didn't Sony ps4 get crushed its first couple of years on the market before being competitive with the 360? Xbox one is way ahead of the $599 ps4 when it came out.

Sony made up in various markets. Also, reason for said interest were Sonys exclusives due to their large first party studios making high quality games. MS does not have this luxury due to their pale in comparison first party stables.

Pain

Banned
Why would they switch lead platforms when Ghosts sold better on the X1 and Microsoft has a DLC timed exclusive deal with Activision?
Because Call Of Duty is a worldwide franchise. It also sells well in Europe. Also, anyone can see PS4 has the momentum right now.

I would say it is a common issue with Microsoft products now. None of them are doing nearly as good as expected. The Windows phone line barely made a dent in Apple/Android market share. Windows is loosing more people to Apple computers, and 8 is doing nothing to stop it. Xbox One is successful no doubt, but it will probably only sell half of the Xbox 360 and closer to the original Xbox. It is a shame because I like Windows 8.1 and the Windows Phone is pretty good for work. Not a fan of the Xbox One, but that is a whole other issue all together.

I would say it is a common issue with Microsoft products now. None of them are doing nearly as good as expected. The Windows phone line barely made a dent in Apple/Android market share. Windows is loosing more people to Apple computers, and 8 is doing nothing to stop it. Xbox One is successful no doubt, but it will probably only sell half of the Xbox 360 and closer to the original Xbox. It is a shame because I like Windows 8.1 and the Windows Phone is pretty good for work. Not a fan of the Xbox One, but that is a whole other issue all together.

Actually windows phone and android market share is improving while the iPhone market share is shrinking. Of course, that's neither here nor there...

Biker19

Banned
::scratches head::

It has next gen versions/sequels of games that were only on the Xbox 360. So yeah... It's a successor.

I mean, in both meaning & feeling. Xbox 360 was a true successor to the Original Xbox, because it had the same good feel of it in which it was mostly designed as a gaming box first & foremost.

Xbox One's just an imitation. It doesn't even feel like a real successor to the Original Xbox & Xbox 360 at all, it's mostly a all-in-one box in disguise.

Blackage

When NPD numbers came out, Aaron Greenberg tweeted about COD and BF4 selling better on the X1.

That was back in January though, 2 months and better PS4 console sales later could easily have changed the COD/BF4 software sales back to Sony's favor, especially when you consider there's been a drought of games these past few months.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that, due to the infamous initial policies they presented about DRM, always online, used games etc...a lot of people is judjing Xbone sales way worst than what they actually are.
that said if they aimed to increase their market share against playstation, I think that they will have a tough time in getting there, because I think that the gap among the two, in those countries where X360 already had issues, will widen even more for many reasons

SFenton

That was back in January though, 2 months and better PS4 console sales later could easily have changed the COD/BF4 software sales back to Sony's favor, especially when you consider there's been a drought of games these past few months.

Simultaneously, though, in those two months, they're still selling copies on Xbox?

PhatSaqs

Banned
NPD shows COD sold better on PS4 in November. Since then (Dec, Jan, Feb) it has sold better on X1.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
When NPD numbers came out, Aaron Greenberg tweeted about COD and BF4 selling better on the X1.

Are you sure it was Battlefield too? XB1 has the lowest online count of any platform released, with PS4 having the most. (according to BF4stats anyways)

jayu26

Are you sure it was Battlefield too? XB1 has the lowest online count of any platform released, with PS4 having the most. (according to BF4stats anyways)

PS4 has bigger community of battlefield players worldwide, but it sold better on Xbone in the US.

Con_Smith

Banned
::scratches head::

It has next gen versions/sequels of games that were only on the Xbox 360. So yeah... It's a successor.

Yes it is a successor, unfortunately it's less attractive to some who should be upgrading to it. Just like some people can't understand why someone would pick up a Bone, some people can't grasp why you wouldn't.

jayu26

So in markets represented by NPD, in the month that it was tracked, it sold better. What about the whole of bloody Europe?

I think in January, UK split for COD was still in favour of Xbone, but it was close. Assassin's Creed was heavily in favour of PS4. I don't know about Battlefield's stituation in the UK, but I think worldwide Battlefield might be selling better on PS4.

Furyous

You know what's crazier? They had high expectations based on pre 180 policies. I base this on the fact that clearly they were expecting to sale millions of consoles and had production facilities ramping up for launch.

My million dollar question is this: what would sales numbers look like with DRM policies in place?

I think in January, UK split for COD was still in favour of Xbone, but it was close. Assassin's Creed was heavily in favour of PS4. I don't know about Battlefield's stituation in the UK, but I think worldwide Battlefield might be selling better on PS4.

There's lot more countries than just UK in Europe. Keep in mind the UK seems to often reflect the trends found in NA, unlike everywhere else

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
No hard numbers, but NPD data showed that that is the case.

Lol NPD. The game is sold in other parts of the world you know. It is incredibly unlikely that the Xbox one version sold more than the PS4 version, just simply because the PS4 is out in more markets and there are more of the things out there.

level44

Every time i check BF4stats it seems a hell of a lot more people are on PS3 and PS4 compared to 360 and the bone.

Just checked randomly now:

074rOyM.jpg

sTaTIx

Are there really people out there ignorant enough that they still think NPD sales represent sales from all over the world? No wonder these same people are gullible enough to buy the same lines of bulls*** from people like Albert Penello or Aaron Greenberg.

Global sales >>>>> NPD sales.

jayu26

There's lot more countries than just UK in Europe. Keep in mind the UK seems to often reflect the trends found in NA, unlike everywhere else
Lol NPD. The game is sold in other parts of the world you know. It is incredibly unlikely that the Xbox one version sold more than the PS4 version, just simply because the PS4 is out in more markets and there are more of the things out there.

Those are the only numbers that I know off. I understand that world is bigger than US. Fuck sake, I live in Canada, I know all about it...

Every time i check BF4stats it seems a hell of a lot more people are on PS3 and PS4 compared to 360 and the bone.
I was just saying bloody stats that we know man! I don't even know how I stuck in this discussion.

ironcreed

Banned
I mean, in both meaning & feeling. Xbox 360 was a true successor to the Original Xbox, because it had the same good feel of it in which it was mostly designed as a gaming box first & foremost.

Xbox One's just an imitation. It doesn't even feel like a real successor to the Original Xbox & Xbox 360 at all, it's mostly a all-in-one box in disguise.

Well, it is still around 5x more powerful than the 360 on the gaming side of things and they have shown strong support for gaming straight out of the gate. But yes, it also has a bunch of new features that actually appeals to some of us. Believe it or not, lol.

On the whole, I'm seeing something that is not only more powerful (despite being weaker than the PS4), but just plain does more period. Seems like a worthy successor to me, and that is why I'll be buying one soon.

shandy706

Just checked randomly now:

074rOyM.jpg

Why are people attempting to even play BF4 online?

I put like 2 matches in last week (came in from Gamefly) and I don't think I'll ever touch it again (unless they fix it). The online gameplay is a horrid mess.

Switching back to Titanfall is like night and day. No one in their right mind should be playing BF4 online as is.

Are there really people out there ignorant enough that they still think NPD sales represent sales from all over the world? No wonder these same people are gullible enough to buy the same lines of bulls*** from people like Albert Penello or Aaron Greenberg.

Global sales >>>>> NPD sales.

Calm yourself down and stop being so immature. I didn't know NPD wasn't worldwide. It was an innocent statement based on an error. Go warrior somewhere else.

Why are people attempting to even play BF4 online?

I put like 2 matches in last week (came in from Gamefly) and I don't think I'll ever touch it again (unless they fix it). The online gameplay is a horrid mess.

Switching back to Titanfall is like night and day. No one in their right mind can be playing BF4 online as is.

My thoughts too. Of course it doesn't make up for the far fewer people playing on the X1 but online is still jacked up pretty bad.

Well, it is still around 5x more powerful than the 360 on the gaming side of things and they have shown strong support for gaming straight out of the gate. But yes, it also has a bunch of new features that actually appeals to some of us. Believe it or not, lol.

On the whole, I'm seeing something that is not only more powerful (despite being weaker than the PS4), but just plain does more period. Seems like a worthy successor to me, and that is why I'll be buying one soon.

Last I checked the main thing is that HDMI in. Both Ps4 and X1 will have pretty much the same media streaming apps, except on one console you won't need to pay for things you already paid for

Calm yourself down and stop being so immature. I didn't know NPD wasn't worldwide. It was an innocent statement based on an error. Go warrior somewhere else.

Don't take it so personally. I'm pretty sure the comment wasn't meant directly towards you but more to the general sentiment that NPD is end all be all when it clearly isn't (well for the X1 is is, but not PS4)

sTaTIx

Except for the part about the botched party system, the archaic DDR3 RAM setup more suited for running apps than games*, and the overcomplicated UI that sucks without voice control.

*The DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM is widely known by developers as a bottleneck that prevents most Xbox One games from running at native 1080p resolution.

ironcreed

Banned
Last I checked the main thing is that HDMI in. Both Ps4 and X1 will have pretty much the same media streaming apps, except on one console you won't need to pay for things you already paid for

Hey, I make no excuses for putting all of the apps and the browser behind a paywall. Even though Sony also charges for online now as well, at least they have the common sense to leave that stuff outside of the paywall. Hopefully Microsoft will stop the hose job on that end one day.

ironcreed

Banned
Except for the part about the botched party system, the archaic DDR3 RAM setup more suited for running apps than games*, and the overcomplicated UI that sucks without voice control.

*The DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM is widely known by developers as a bottleneck that prevents most Xbox One games from running at native 1080p resolution.

Yes, I am aware of all this. It's weaker than the PS4 and has some kinks that will be ironed out some in time. But the system is still a next-gen leap over the 360 and that is why it will also be enjoying games like The Witcher 3, etc. Not to mention it's exclusives that some of us are finding more appealing. It's still a next-gen system and will have some great games that will shit all over what was possible on the 360. That is all I am saying here.

Yes, I am aware of all this. It's weaker than the PS4 and has some kinks that will be ironed out some in time. But the system is still a next-gen leap over the 360 and that is why it will also be enjoying games like The Witcher 3, etc. Not to mention it's exclusives that some of us are finding more appealing. It's still a next-gen system and will have some great games that will shit all over what was possible on the 360. That is all I am saying here.

It's definitely a next gen system, but so is the Wii U. Both are part of eighth gen

Top Bottom