• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to address multi platform games in spring, says former employee

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I meant in their messaging to the players, Xbox will get torched no matter how they frame it at this point

I think its a good move for MS studios but I game everywhere so I don't have a horse in that console wars race
At this point, I think MS would be better served to release Starfield on PS, sooner rather than later. They could sell the barebones version and still be able to sell a season pass/DLC on PS. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to wait. Of course, it depends on what stage of porting they are at.

MonkD

Didn't Microsoft release games for Windows before Xbox was a thing?
The biggest problem I'm seeing with this is that Sony would end up with something akin to a home console monopoly. I'm guessing the meltdown is from people who won't be able to keep building their current Xbox-library on console, sort of like the outcry when Epic opened their own digital store, but worse?

King Dazzar

At this point its a no win situation for Xbox.

They should have gotten ahead of this
I agree. But this is Xbox all over. Its just more people are finally at long last seeing the mask slip and the management for what they are really like. I wouldn't be surprised if its some wishy washy, we're all about the gamers wherever they play and we're committed to great experiences blah blah blah. Hopefully many wont be taken in by it this time though.

One question I have is, why in the holy fuck is Phil Spencer still employed there. This soy-infused clown has done absolutely nothing good for Xbox except probably back compat (which isn't even an ongoing initiative anymore). Fucked around for years with dumb shit, and now it's lead to the death of Xbox as a console. Great job.

On the game side, he allowed Halo to be driven into the ground for over a decade by 343 (AKA the worst game developer in history) to the point where it's basically irrelevant. Gears ain't much better now.

Mattrick, despite being a total snake, was a cut throat business guy and actually had some games for his console at launch. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Didn't Microsoft release games for Windows before Xbox was a thing?
The biggest problem I'm seeing with this is that Sony would end up with something akin to a home console monopoly. I'm guessing the meltdown is from people who won't be able to keep building their current Xbox-library on console, sort of like the outcry when Epic opened their own digital store, but worse?
I am no fan of a console monopoly, but Xbox did that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One question I have is, why in the holy fuck is Phil Spencer still employed there. This soy-infused clown has done absolutely nothing good for Xbox except probably back compat (which isn't even an ongoing initiative anymore). Fucked around for years with dumb shit, and now it's lead to the death of Xbox as a console. Great job.

On the game side, he allowed Halo to be driven into the ground for over a decade by 343 (AKA the worst game developer in history) to the point where it's basically irrelevant. Gears ain't much better now.

Mattrick, despite being a total snake, was a cut throat business guy and actually had some games for his console at launch. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.
Why the fuck is Aaron Greenberg or Matt Booty still employed? Sarah Bond gets a pass because she hasn't been around long enough to gauge whether she is good at her job. Phil has at least tried to do things positive (BC), I cannot think of a single thing that Matt Booty has brought to the table. He was brought in to manage first party studios. I am talking about the blue blood first party studios, not those acquired from Bethesda or ABK. The output from those studios has been dismal. Absolutely dismal. Halo Infinite ended up costing around $500Mish development budget.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Spencer, Greenberg and Booty should all be out if they do announce a complete shift to third party. They've pivoted enough times and changed focuses

Hey, a lot of people got it wrong. I'm guilty of, expecting MS to give it a good go after all these acquisitions and not just pull the chute, not even 2 months into 2024. But i am a grown assed man. I can happily admit I got it wrong.

Until, I officially lose all of my past purchases on Xbox it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I have never had a problem with people being able to play games where they want and like I said, if this keeps people employed then cool.

I guess I thought Microsoft had more fight in them to try and build something after spending all this money but I guess the bubble burst post covid. So many layoffs, no growth for Xbox or gaming in general. I guess the writings now just well and truly chiselled into the wall. :)

The reality is, everyone will be fine and can enjoy the games they want to enjoy, wherever they play. It's only going to be a good thing as MS will have to make sure their releases are up to scratch on these platforms.

Love the off the wall response. A lot of people didn't want to get it right. It was comical. Now you've taken it to this weird place like anyone said your digital library is going to disappear.

foamdino

Why the fuck is Aaron Greenberg or Matt Booty still employed? Sarah Bond gets a pass because she hasn't been around long enough to gauge whether she is good at her job. Phil has at least tried to do things positive (BC), I cannot think of a single thing that Matt Booty has brought to the table. He was brought in to manage first party studios. I am talking about the blue blood first party studios, not those acquired from Bethesda or ABK. The output from those studios has been dismal. Absolutely dismal. Halo Infinite ended up costing around $500Mish development budget.
There is stuff from 4 years ago (the reveal) that still hasn't launched:

This list has:
* State of decay 3
* Everwild
* Avowed

They have a history of pushing CGI trailers at showcases and then simply not delivering. The XBone had a decent slate of launch games, you cannot say that about the series consoles.

Del_X

Pretty sure the stock market is going to like this. Xbox is not a big money maker but they're probably looking to 2-3x their revenue in the next 5-7 years with only marginal increase in cost. I just hope the next Halo gets the development support it deserves.

Pretty sure the stock market is going to like this. Xbox is not a big money maker but they're probably looking to 2-3x their revenue in the next 5-7 years with only marginal increase in cost. I just hope the next Halo gets the development support it deserves.

It's not quite that clear cut. I think we will have to see what happens to the Xbox community. Will people trade in their XBS consoles? Will they still buy games at the level they were buying before?

This news definitely came before Microsoft wanted it to and in a way they did not intend, which will have consequences in the market.

So much of their revenue is based on royalties and GamePass subscriptions.

Even in an all digital future, you want a platform you can trust in the future. Not the promise that you can play your current game library on your tv in the next 5 years via streaming.

There is going to be an all-stop on Xbox. Could be nothing or it could be Black monday with people trying to sell their stuff before the value vanishes in the used market.

LordCBH

The real question now: how quickly will I be able to find a Series S for $99 or less? I need a box for my bedroom tv that can stream movies and play some casual games on days where I’m sick or don’t wanna get out of bed lol

DrFigs

It's not quite that clear cut. I think we will have to see what happens to the Xbox community. Will people trade in their XBS consoles? Will they still buy games at the level they were buying before?

This news definitely came before Microsoft wanted it to and in a way they did not intend, which will have consequences in the market.

So much of their revenue is based on royalties and GamePass subscriptions.

Even in an all digital future, you want a platform you can trust in the future. Not the promise that you can play your current game library on your tv in the next 5 years via streaming.

There is going to be an all-stop on Xbox. Could be nothing or it could be Black monday with people trying to sell their stuff before the value vanishes in the used market.
I mean if this is a signal that Xbox will go third party, i assume investors will love it. I don't think xbox is particularly attractive to MS shareholders

Last edited:

kyussman

They should have invested heavily in studio's during the 360 era,instead they coasted on Halo/Gears/Forza......crazy that a software company like Microsoft didn't understand they would need lots of great quality exclusive games to secure their future in the console business....crazy!

I mean if this is a signal that Xbox will go third party, i assume investors will love it. I don't think xbox is particularly attractive to MS shareholders

I dont expect this to significantly move the needle for Microsoft one way or another. What it could mean however is a significant increase in stock price for Sony.

Sony lost about 20% of its value when the ABK deal was announced. Some of that was going to come off the top after the end of the pandemic anyways, but they could recover a good chunk.

Ironically, that would give them a lot more spending power for acquisitions.

My business intelligence is basically non-existent so my next comment is most likely going to come out as ignorant.

While I don't know what is Microsoft's strategy with Xbox, why can't they just understand that if they want people to buy their hardware at the same level Sony is, they just have to release 2-3 9/10-10/10 games a year exclusive to their system?

//DEVIL//

So.. when we will hear something ? Today ?

I want to know if my Xbox halo infinite edition that is still sealed is worth something these days or just a waste of plastic and I lost my money 😂

Last edited:

DrFigs

I dont expect this to significantly move the needle for Microsoft one way or another. What it could mean however is a significant increase in stock price for Sony.

Sony lost about 20% of its value when the ABK deal was announced. Some of that was going to come off the top after the end of the pandemic anyways, but they could recover a good chunk.

Ironically, that would give them a lot more spending power for acquisitions.
yes in that case, i agree w/ you on both counts. i don't think investors like xbox, but it's not that important to them. sony should also see a price increase. but the stock market is zany so anything can happen :pie_invert:

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
So.. when we will hear something ? Today ?

I want to know if my Xbox halo infinite edition that is still sealed is worth something these days or just a waste of plastic and I lost my money 😂
We'll absolutely hear something today. They can't ignore it, they will try to spin it in some way that benefits them in any way possible.

//DEVIL//

We'll absolutely hear something today. They can't ignore it, they will try to spin it in some way that benefits them in any way possible.
You said absolutely then you said they can't ignore it implying you are not 100% sure and you are basing this on solid logic ( not that I am disagreeing with you )

But do we have a somehow trusted source of some sort of announcement today ?

You said absolutely then you said they can't ignore it implying you are not 100% sure and you are basing this on solid logic ( not that I am disagreeing with you )

But do we have a somehow trusted source of some sort of announcement today ?
No. People just hope that it will happen because of the intense online pressure.

skyfall

This floating around from an insider

GFjCH3mXMAA9UQK

GFjCH3sWMAEtBmo

Chechack

This guy is unbelievable :pie_eyeroll:

He's technically right.
Eventhough i have own a PS ever since 1 until now,i dont play 1st party games
Until today i havent played Last Of Us,Uncharted,Horizon and GhostTsushi.
I dont play Fifa or COD also.
I buy PS due to mostly anime games like Gundam and Super Robot War.

reinking

Gold Member
Because if they ride the wave then they'll dominate the console space next gen.

Yes, they're losing money now, but they'll make it all back next gen and then some.

This is why I don't believe these rumours. Microsoft would have to be really dumb to go third-party and not wide the wave.
Same old story…

Animated GIF

NickFire

Yup he was super concerned about all this drama

Or maybe its all going according to plan
Could be going to plan. Would have to guess it’s the backup plan though. The initial announced release dates for Halo and Starfield suggest to me they were all in on hardware until things didn’t pan out for those games as hoped.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Could be going to plan. Would have to guess it’s the backup plan though. The initial announced release dates for Halo and Starfield suggest to me they were all in on hardware until things didn’t pan out for those games as hoped.
So my info is indeed a few months old and maybe something did happen in the last couple of days to dramatically change course but I think they are still all in on hardware and I keep using the term I heard they are doubling down and making even more hardware

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey, a lot of people got it wrong. I'm guilty of, expecting MS to give it a good go after all these acquisitions and not just pull the chute, not even 2 months into 2024. But i am a grown assed man. I can happily admit I got it wrong.

Until, I officially lose all of my past purchases on Xbox it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I have never had a problem with people being able to play games where they want and like I said, if this keeps people employed then cool.

I guess I thought Microsoft had more fight in them to try and build something after spending all this money but I guess the bubble burst post covid. So many layoffs, no growth for Xbox or gaming in general. I guess the writings now just well and truly chiselled into the wall. :)

The reality is, everyone will be fine and can enjoy the games they want to enjoy, wherever they play. It's only going to be a good thing as MS will have to make sure their releases are up to scratch on these platforms.
Microsoft actually had a lot of fight, but their way of fighting was to throw money at every problem without the leadership to make it worthwhile. No other company could afford to sustain delay after delay for Halo Infinite or allow 343 to blow through funds like they did.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whatever happens, Timdog is not wrong in saying that this has been handled poorly. I've been saying for a while that Phil Spencer could have silenced all this talk easily with a tweet or an interview, which he loves doing......until recently. Instead news about this has been drip fed to the various "insiders". If Microsoft is really doing this then they need to man up and just rip off the bandaid. If Microsoft isn’t doing this then why are allowing all this talk to fester? Makes no sense.

SEE!!! Some of us were right! This is being leaked to MS insiders to "report" so that once MS officially talks about it, it lessens the blow. That's the answer to your final sentence. It makes total sense now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xbox era podcast host saying something happening tomorrow. No idea if this guy has a good track record.
LqHxrVH.png

Has anybody acknowledge how right this poster was, considering he's the Xbox ERA podcast host? Maybe we should listen to these unofficial "leaks" more often.....

Probably will say there is nothing definitive until they have all strategy set.

That's a bit of a non-answer and the Xbox community is in full-on meltdown mode.

I don't think they should do that. Best to say what's going on and be done with it.

They're dropping the ball *everywhere* right now.

The whole extra sub to GPass to even play XIV is such a ridiculous thing. It was never required to have PS+. All those years of hoping and Microsoft ups your bill. Goofy stuff from MS lately.

Top Bottom