• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to address multi platform games in spring, says former employee

DJ12

Didn't Microsoft release games for Windows before Xbox was a thing?
The biggest problem I'm seeing with this is that Sony would end up with something akin to a home console monopoly. I'm guessing the meltdown is from people who won't be able to keep building their current Xbox-library on console, sort of like the outcry when Epic opened their own digital store, but worse?
Ms could make then all available on PlayStation, it's not like the consoles are massively different these days.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Basically...

Pretty soon some of the stuff that used to get debated about will no longer be considered a hot take, trolling or copium.

What a time to be alive......Jesus Christ.

THANK YOU!!!!!! People like us have been talking about GamePass and how it's not sustainable for YEARS!!!! It's so obvious, but it was a hot take to them. In a short time they'll see the light.

mckmas8808

Just chatting with some friends, seems there will be something said on the subject tomorrow but I do not know to what detail.

If our guy HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 says it's happening, then it's HAPPENING! Maybe......MS will delay the timing but it's happening guys. Relax your buttholes and receive the news. It's about to be popcorn day. But we all need to be gentle with our Xbox guys here. Don't attack them. None of this is their fault. Well......some of it is (not buying games and saying console sales don't matter), but they were just repeating what MS was saying.

just_jr

james-franco-so-good.gif

mckmas8808

Ain't no way I'll see Master Chief Collection on my PlayStation, is it?? Surely they won't go that far.

Seeing an icon for that(say Chiefs helmet) on my PS UI would be such a paradigm shift that I don't think we could understand the magnitude of that.

Are we looking at a magnitude shift akin to how Sega went third party here or more subtle?

YES!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If our guy HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 says it's happening, then it's HAPPENING! Maybe......MS will delay the timing but it's happening guys. Relax your buttholes and receive the news. It's about to be popcorn day. But we all need to be gentle with our Xbox guys here. Don't attack them. None of this is their fault. Well......some of it is (not buying games and saying console sales don't matter), but they were just repeating what MS was saying.
People do believe something is coming today, people who would likely know, people I trust

skit_data

Now Grubb saying MS wont talk about this until the end of this month

Fire This Is Fine GIF
Can't tell if its smart or really stupid if true. On one hand they might save themselves some bad PR because most of the hardcore fans have already digested it but... hell that's some cold shit just leaving those people in the dark for that long.

NickFire

Fire This Is Fine GIF
Even with the rumors I still have to believe they want to protect that walled garden. But in my humble opinion, every single hour that goes by without addressing this heads on will add weight to the theory they are done with hardware. The narrative that is being set right now is that if you buy a PS5 you will eventually get every game. There is not way, literally NO WAY that the people at MS do not realize this.

NickFire

The problem is that, even if they realize this, they’ve shown themselves to be criminally incompetent already lol
They did hype up Redfall I suppose.

But even that decision would pale in comparison to letting this narrative grow deeper roots if it weren't true. If they really stay silent for another month they will be killing what is left of their hardware market share.

Crayon

I can see them waiting to the end of the month to let the community burn off a lot of the energy. Cowardly, but not without merit from a strategic perspective.

spons

Gold Member
Steam Deck? What is he on about. And Phil has said a lot of things over the past decade or so, most of it bullshit in hindsight.
Seriously, take his Tweet, take the exact opposite of what Jez says on every bullet point and then it's probably true.

What is the point of your console if the games go multiplatform? Genuine question.

I mean...the *instant* Chief or Marcus graces a PlayStation console, that's it. Same as years ago with Sonic and Sega. In the minds of general folks, that's kinda the death knell...everything they'd want to play is on PlayStation or Nintendo.

I don't see why you'd continue. I genuinely don't see it.

Last edited:
This seems to be something of a moral panic to me, fueled by warriors from the other side...

I really cannot imagine Microsoft will announce anything before they are ready, and the hope that they are financially destitute and needing to take desperate action seems like a bit of a wet dream. That's not to say they aren't capable of a drastic change of direction, just that it won't be because of some unsubstantiated online furore.

You sometimes forget gamers are now a mix of grown ups and kids in the playground as the medium itself matures.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What is the point of your console if the games go multiplatform? Genuine question.

I mean...the *instant* Chief or Marcus graces a PlayStation console, that's it. Same as years ago with Sonic and Sega.

I don't see why you'd continue. I genuinely don't see it.
I honestly can't answer why I just know they were pretty adamant they were continuing making hardware and making even more hardware

Again I know a group of people who would never buy a PS and as long as Xbox has hardware thats where they will play.

They don't care for anything Sony has offered to this point and much like myself simply prefer Xbox hardware, controller, headset and such

I honestly can't answer why I just know they were pretty adamant they were continuing making hardware and making even more hardware

Again I know a group of people who would never buy a PS and as long as Xbox has hardware thats where they will play.

They don't care for anything Sony has offered to this point and much like myself simply prefer Xbox hardware, controller, headset and such

I *get* some of that my friend. I do, but I just don't know how much of a revenue bonus it'll be.

I guess the install base of Nintendo and Sony is too much to pass up when you've spent 70 Billion+ and can't muscle your way anywhere, even with Starfield.

Starfield must've been an epic failure for whatever metrics they used to see if exclusives could move their needle.

Killjoy-NL

One thing's for sure: there are some Gaffers that became a complete joke, from the 9Tflop PS5 debacle to the years of denial of MS going 3rd party and GP being the downfall of Xbox.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The deep, massive lolz. I've been telling people this shit for years. This publishers moves do not support an idea of "Exclusive", their moves deeply support a publisher seeking to go 3rd party, last gen we saw their games going to PC day and date even when many kept making it sound like that would never happen, then we have them literally buying 3rd party publishers ( as clearly the value of those publishers is the amount of money they can make on ALL PLATFORMS)

Now we have these rumors of many titles going full multiplatform, not even JUST to PC, literally to Switch, Playstation etc and of many IP. To "address" this in Spring, seems like to confirm it or something as its odd to wait to deny a rumor lol

Seems like many of us made the right choice going with Nintendo and Playstation and it seems we can continue to never buy XB it seems.

Looks like MS is ready to exit that market and focus on software.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
MS is prob gonna continue do push out Xbox hardware, but go multiplatform.
I suppose it's pretty similar to what Ubisoft and EA did in the PC space, but in reverse. Microsoft wants an ecosystem where it can sell its own games for 100% profit, and also a place where other publishers will pay them 30% of all their sales. BUT - they also want to still sell their games to people that want to buy/play them, even if it means giving up 30% to Sony or Nintendo.

I guess only time will tell if they'll be able to have their cake and eat it too. Will people want to buy a console with zero exclusives?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I suppose it's pretty similar to what Ubisoft and EA did in the PC space, but in reverse. Microsoft wants an ecosystem where it can sell its own games for 100% profit, and also a place where other publishers will pay them 30% of all their sales. BUT - they also want to still sell their games to people that want to buy/play them, even if it means giving up 30% to Sony or Nintendo.

I guess only time will tell if they'll be able to have their cake and eat it too. Will people want to buy a console with zero exclusives?
If they are smart, they would start releasing an Xbox every year. Move to the smartphone thing.

soulbait

Fire This Is Fine GIF

They need to say something. Even my non-gamer friends are starting to hear the downfall of Xbox. Had one talk to me about it the other day when I suggested him to buy an Xbox due to GamePass (to me, if you are not a big gamer, GamePass is the way to go). Internet moves opinions quickly. They need to say or do something, because if the normies thinks it is dead, then it is dead.

zapper

so? a day after the rumors there is no statement that they are going third party? Maybe they'll backtrack like they did with the increase of gold prices? the shitstorm was similar if not inferior

GHG

*and the one's who don't demand quality from Xbox and have allowed the rot to set in. That's probably one of the most damaging sins of all.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why, you basically become some sort of PC manufacturer for console. It can disrupt the market which already has games out with different settings.
Because (1) it'll be a nightmare for buyers, (2) a nightmare for developers as they will have to make a game which can take 5+ years to make work on all SKUs, (3) an expensive nightmare for the Xbox R&D team who will be constantly working round the clock.

Smartphones are very different from gaming consoles. This option would not be a practical one at all.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Because (1) it'll be a nightmare for buyers, (2) a nightmare for developers as they will have to make a game which can take 5+ years to make work on all SKUs, (3) an expensive nightmare for the Xbox R&D team who will be constantly working round the clock.

Smartphones are very different from gaming consoles. This option would not be a practical one at all.
And smartphone don't go thru R&D? do games on smartphone not work on all 5 recent SKUs?

If it's not a nightmare for buyers on the Smartphone market which is even more expensive, why would it be for them on the console one? Which is I think the only electronics market that doesn't evolve every year (TVs, Smartphones, etc).

Nobody needs new consoles every year. Consoles are meant to be simple. Even the Pro models is pushing it.
You're not getting one every year, you're getting one every whenever you wanna buy a new one.

Killjoy-NL

And smartphone don't go thru R&D? do games on smartphone not work on all 5 recent SKUs?

If it's not a nightmare for buyers on the Smartphone market which is even more expensive, why would it be for them on the console one? Which is I think the only electronics market that doesn't evolve every year (TVs, Smartphones, etc).

You're not getting one every year, you're getting one every whenever you wanna buy a new one.
Why not buy a PC at that point?

Top Bottom