• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Crap I forgot miiverse was a thing again. I should see whats going on in the xeno community since it probably loads better on new 3ds

Dude, watch out for spoilers if you haven't played this before. Especially if you're not into the Gaur Plains yet.

... I just remembered how much I love the voice acting. I really love that this game has British voice actors, it's such a different pace and it sounds so natural for all the characters. I honestly think it's some of the best outside of Metal Gear Solid series.

THIS IS THE MOW-NAW-DOE'S POWA!!

I think my only grip so far is equipment management. It gets so annoying having to optimize everyone since there's just so much equipment in the game, plus if I'm not mistaken, equipment shows the boosts that gems give, so that makes it even more annoying finding out which is the best one. You may think that the new equipment you just got is worse but that's only because the gems on your current equipment are making it seem better than it actually is.

Also I'm running into money problems. I've been following what everyone says and only selling your old equipment, but tha still doesn't leave me with much to buy shit.

Xbro

I think my only grip so far is equipment management. It gets so annoying having to optimize everyone since there's just so much equipment in the game, plus if I'm not mistaken, equipment shows the boosts that gems give, so that makes it even more annoying finding out which is the best one. You may think that the new equipment you just got is worse but that's only because the gems on your current equipment are making it seem better than it actually is.

Also I'm running into money problems. I've been following what everyone says and only selling your old equipment, but tha still doesn't leave me with much to buy shit.

There's a link in the OP that will tell you what materials you can sell. Do that.

I'm really bad at chain attacks and I'm at a certain spot that requires the player to proform a chain attack.

I read and understand how to do a chain attack but can't execute it.

Can someone who sucks at it explain how they got past that one part that requires it?

I'm only able to chain 3 moves at the most.

You need higher affinity within your party to pull off max chains(best feeling in the world), and you need tension when you start the chain.

The affinity will come gradually. Tension builds during the battle, it should be visible on the portraits, with the characters looking down being the lowest, and fire behind the characters being the highest.

Reveirg

You young whippersnappers with your "Xenoblade wikis" and your "in-depth guides." Back in MY day, the only wikis we had were in another language! I had to walk all over Frontier Village, uphill both ways!

Haha, so true. It was pretty tough to find everything!

I bought this game yesterday at best buy, I have not tried it out yet but I saw in the eshop that update 1.0 is available(That 1.1 is only for those who got this game digitally) is that correct

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I bought this game yesterday at best buy, I have not tried it out yet but I saw in the eshop that update 1.0 is available(That 1.1 is only for those who got this game digitally) is that correct

Yeah, there is an update. It's minor stuff, it's not like speeding up the enemies turns or anything.

alvis.exe

If you've already completed the collectopedia for an area is it fine to sell all the materials you collected from there?

I wouldn't. Collectibles are used for a lot of quests and are good for trading and gifting. Unless you have a ton of one then you can sell some of course. Plus you never run out of inventory space for collectibles.

Now materials on the other hand... Read the link in the OP (speaking of which, I think the quote got kind of screwed up!). I'm also thinking of working on a quest-needed material list so hopefully I can get that done soon :)

And you really really really don't need to buy anything other than art books. Best equipment almost always comes from monster drops!

Dude, watch out for spoilers if you haven't played this before. Especially if you're not into the Gaur Plains yet.

... I just remembered how much I love the voice acting. I really love that this game has British voice actors, it's such a different pace and it sounds so natural for all the characters. I honestly think it's some of the best outside of Metal Gear Solid series.

THIS IS THE MOW-NAW-DOE'S POWA!!

I loooove how Monado is pronounced with a British accent. I always quote lines in a British accent just for fun "The power of the Monado" ah. Such good voice acting.

I loooove how Monado is pronounced with a British accent. I always quote lines in a British accent just for fun "The power of the Monado" ah. Such good voice acting.

British accent's are the best.

Screw all you other people that say otherwise.

Full disclosure I am a dirty crappy yank.

R0ckman

So there's an eshop for the new 3DS or does the shop detect that the system is a new 3DS version and unlock a new 3DS game section?

Parshias7

Is there a way to upgrade weapons? Or is Shulk just stuck with the default Monado for the whole game?

You can't upgrade individual weapons, so Shulk will always use the Monado. The Monado is a little special since it actually scales with Shulk's level, so it will always be roughly on par with the stuff you get as drops for the other characters. Then there are some story-related things that may modify Shulk's weapon, but I won't say any more on that.

DagsJT

Just bought this off the eShop and got a message before purchasing that I get a free theme and the code is on the receipt. Except it isn't. Thanks, Nintendo!

I've had this game on Wii since 2011 but I for some reason stopped somewhere in the mines... after a couple of days with the 3DS version my entire perspective on this game has turned around. I love it, i've hardly been able to put it down. The locations and gameplay just keep getting deeper and better and it's such an impressive handheld game. RPG's are far more playable on a handheld for me.

OmegaFax

I'm finding it a bit difficult to pull off chains. Stuck at Colony 9 with that first real Mechon boss (Metal Face). There's a QTE action but I always screw it up. Any tips?

Wichu

I'm finding it a bit difficult to pull off chains. Stuck at Colony 9 with that first real Mechon boss (Metal Face). There's a QTE action but I always screw it up. Any tips?

It takes a while to get used to the timing.

If anything, try to be a little late - the party gauge fills up as long as you get it inside the circle.

You can fill up the party gauge by positioning yourself correctly when using arts, too - for example, if you use Back Slash from the back.

Sadist

Work on your timing ;)

If you master it you will absolutely slay and dish out a lot of damage. Metal Face shouldn't be too hard. Early on you won't chain a lot of attacks at first, but as the game goes on you'll build up affinity with your partymembers and the chance of large chains will grow.

Raiden

Banned
Lol i bought it thinking it was compatible with my regular 3DS there is no way is there? Why would they do that anyway.

TheMoon

Oh wow, the fact that you don't have to return to quest givers to get your reward is amazing.

Sure, you don't see the NPC's reaction, but they don't have reactions really, so who cares. The little descriptions of the results of completing quests are cool.

That is only for the most basic quests. There are some quests that require you to return to the quest giver, too.

Now materials on the other hand... Read the link in the OP (speaking of which, I think the quote got kind of screwed up!).

Thanks, I forgot to check my edit after saving. Fixed it now!

I've had this game on Wii since 2011 but I for some reason stopped somewhere in the mines... after a couple of days with the 3DS version my entire perspective on this game has turned around. I love it, i've hardly been able to put it down. The locations and gameplay just keep getting deeper and better and it's such an impressive handheld game. RPG's are far more playable on a handheld for me.

There is something to be said about playing a game in the right circumstances. Sometimes it's just not the right time for someone. This happens with all entertainment, I keep noticing. An album that bores you on first listen might blow you away a few years or months later. With games it can be the same sometimes.

Lol i bought it thinking it was compatible with my regular 3DS there is no way is there? Why would they do that anyway.

You're joking right?

Overside

Banned

Your problem is that its not a qte action, but a timing mini game.

You dont press the button the moment it shoes up on screen or you will fail every time.

A ring around the button prompt will be shown, and then a larger shrinking ring. You press the button when they overlap.

alvis.exe

OK I quickly compiled a list of materials that are definitely needed for quests. Don't know if it's 100% accurate but it should be pretty decently close. Material inventory management and looking things up on the wiki/spreadsheet/FAQs was one of the things that led me to spoilers during my playthrough so hopefully this spoiler-free list will help a bit!

Couple of notes:
1. The list includes materials only (aka the stuff you get from monster drops). I didn't do one for collectables because you never run out of inventory space for those.
2. There really weren't very many duplicate item requests as far as I could tell. Basically once you complete a quest that requires a material you can sell the rest. I put a star on the ones that I remember seeing two quests need but I may not have gotten them all. Sorry!
3. Because there are quite a few quest chains in the game where you have to choose between two different quests, some of these materials may end up never being used on a single playthrough.

Advanced Frame
Aged Chilkin Hair
All-Seeing Eye
Ancient Sardi Meat
Ansel Fish Pie
Andos Antenna
Antol Fire Pouch
Apis Gold Nugget
Aqueous Andos Oil
Arachno Sickle
Arachno Silk
Ardun Elder Beard*
Astas Remote Unit
Azure Flamii Wing
Bitter Wisp Fluid
Black Nectar
Bloody Brog Sweat
Bolt Element
Brog Leg Meat
Brog Smelling Salts
Broken Pincer
Bunnia Ham
Bunnia Scent Wood*
Bunnit Sapling
Bunniv Club
Caterpile Poison
Caterpile Silk*
Caterpile Vinegar
Croaking Brog Bag
Dated Crank
Dated Frame
Dated Plug
Delicious Vang Tail
Demonic Everflame
Dense Ansel Meat
Diamond Brog Eye
Dust Element
Ekidno Jaw Gristle
Eks Iron Heart*
Electric Upa Tears
Fancy Orluga Mask
Fancy Volff Hide
Feris Aged Ale
Feris Blood
Fertile Flamii Egg
Flexible Selua Cell
Flier Bloom Scale
Flier Straw
Flier Wing
Fresh Armu Milk
Frozen Aries Meat
Generic Blade
Generic Shaft
Glacier Element
Glossy Grady Fan
Glowing Upa Seed
Glowing Wisp Fluid
Gogol Horn*
Green Eluca Juice
Heavy Bunniv Iron
Hiln Coin Purse
Hode Camouflage
Hode Plank*
Hox Daylight Spur*
Hox Flint
Igna Hide Jacket
Igna Stone Pot
Immortal Moss
Inferno Element
Iron Krabble Shell
Jagged Tail
Juicy Laia Fish
Juicy Wild Meat
Krabble Artwork
Krabble Back Moss
Krabble Fixed Part
Laughing Brog Bag
Lexos Beard
LIght Rain Element
Lizard Moon Jewel
Lucky Chilkin Ring
Lucky Fang
Lucky Skeeter Wing
Luxury Hode Wood
Magic Stone
Mammut Horn
Maternal Armu Milk
Medicinal Brog Oil
Moramora Meat Pie
Murky Eluca Water
New Cylinder
New Part L
New Part S
Ocean Elixir of Life*
Old Dragon Spine
Ories Horn
Orluga Grass Skirt
Orluga Slacks
Pagul Cold Pie
Pagul Hot Pot
Peachy Leg Joint
Piranhax Belly Meat
Piranhax Fishmeal
Piranhax Roe
Ponio Hoof Seal
Ponio Neck Meat
Potent Brog Poison
Pretty Flamii Leg
Pterix Energy Egg
Quadwing Bag
Quadwing Treasure
Quality Antol Jaw
Raw Piranhax Meat
Razor Teasel
Refined Part L
Refined Part M
Reinforced Jet
Reinforced Plunger
Reinforced Thruster
Rhogul Axe Crest
Royal Apis Nectar
Royal Volff Hide
Rufus Control Unit
Scratched Jewel
Sharp Hox Spur
Shiny Kromar Hide
Silver Antol Fibre*
Silver Eks Plate
Silver Lexos Heart
Slick Kromar Stone
Slobos Ice Rock
Small Scale
Small Shell
Snow Element
Soya Paste Shell
Spotted Volff Hide
Squall Element
Steel Selua Cell
Sticky Web Fibre
Sturdy Armour*
Tasty Ansel Wing
Thick Armu Milk
Thick Nectar
Thick Rhana Hide
Tirkin Crest
Tirkin Elder Medal
Tirkin Tail Feather
Tokilos King Egg*
Twin Flamii Egg
Upa Ember
Vang Hair Clip
Vang Milk Tooth
Vang Star Wing
Vang Tooth
Vang Third Molar
White Brog Liver
Wisp Bliss Ring
Wisp Glow Stick
Wisp Sun Bead
Yellow Slobos Rock
Yolkless Flamii Egg

TheMoon

Can't blame anyone for this, easy mistake to make. Everyone only had a solid six months of "THIS IS AN N3DS EXCLUSIVE" to figure it out.

Plus they don't even tell you about it on the box. Outrageous.

xenobox3dkykwt.png

Pbae

I just started and there's a lot to take in. I really wish I didn't jump around when I first gained control of Fiora since it sounds like she's taking a painful dump.

How important are the affinity scenes?

TheMoon

I just started and there's a lot to take in. I really wish I didn't jump around when I first gained control of Fiora since it sounds like she's taking a painful dump.

How important are the affinity scenes?

Affinity scenes? Do you mean the heart-to-hearts?

Top Bottom