• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X English Direct April 24th

Verger

Banned
My main issue of the game so far mirrors what someone else stated, where the Characters so far, or especially those they've been focusing on and promoting, ie. Elma and Lyn, are just not endearing to me at all compared to the initial Xenoblade characters with Shulk who was immediately likable and Reyn who was just so brotastic, in addition to the badass Dunban.

Elma so far is giving me Lightning vibes and that's not a good sign. And Lyn is well, someone who shouldn't be in this game. Sorry, I'm not keen on near pre-teen characters (someone said Melia was supposed to be one? but well, her UK voice certainly wasn't, compared to Lyn's JP voice)

Seems an interesting take on the usual snowy areas we're presented with in games for sure. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous at night!

rgrrgx.gif

Those treetops kind of looked like jellyfish for a moment to me...

TunaLover

It's probably too cold for snow to fall. Perhaps hail?

I was also wondering if they'll have seasons in addition to the day/night cycle? Has this been seen or mentioned anywhere?
It was raining in this section, I guess weather will be there, it was very important element in XC due certain monters appearing under certain conditions.

chadboban

My main issue of the game so far mirrors what someone else stated, where the Characters so far, or especially those they've been focusing on and promoting, ie. Elma and Lyn, are just not endearing to me at all compared to the initial Xenoblade characters with Shulk who was immediately likable and Reyn who was just so brotastic, in addition to the badass Dunban.

Elma so far is giving me Lightning vibes and that's not a good sign. And Lyn is well, someone who shouldn't be in this game. Sorry, I'm not keen on near pre-teen characters (someone said Melia was supposed to be one? but well, her UK voice certainly wasn't, compared to Lyn's JP voice)

And what about Melia's Japanese voice compared to Lyn's? Did Reyn come off as brotastic in Japanese? That's the problem here. You're comparing a completely localized game to one that isn't even out yet in a language you don't understand to boot.

Sorry if I come off as harsh here but I guess I'm just getting tired of hearing "I'm not connecting as well to the Japanese cast of this game speaking a language I don't understand compared to this already localized game that I can completely understand." Well no shit you do.

Nanashrew

Banned
Seems an interesting take on the usual snowy areas we're presented with in games for sure. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous at night!

rgrrgx.gif

Yeah, I'm really loving the night time stuff we've seen of the game with how the sky lights up with auroras and stars and just gives off this nice feeling.

Etria

Yes, you caught a rare Neiteio typo :(

It's alright, Neiteio. It just means that your subconscious does not acknowledge that NZ English = Australian English, because it does not. At all :p

It was raining in this section, I guess weather will be there, it was very important element in XC due certain monters appearing under certain conditions.

Ah I see. Great that the weather effects come back, though I've just experienced in Xenoblade Chronicles how long it takes for a thunderstorm to occur in order for a certain monster to appear.

RagnarokX

I like those glowing trees.

It's like a forest of light or something.

Not quite a forest. Barely a savannah.

Eh, I guess while I'm at it:

Primordia: primus (first) + ordiri (to begin). Basically The Origin.

Noctilum: Nocti (night) + lum (light) = Land of Nocturnal Lights

Oblivia: Oblivisci (to forget) = The Forgotten Land

Sylvalum: Sylva (forest) + lum (light) = Forest of Light

Cauldros: Caldius (hot) -> Caldarium (cooking pot) = Literally Cauldron Land. Calderas, massive supervolcanos, are named from the same root. It's a boiling pot.

Verger

Banned
And what about Melia's Japanese voice compared to Lyn's? Did Reyn come off as brotastic in Japanese? That's the problem here. You're comparing a completely localized game to one that isn't even out yet in a language you don't understand to boot.

Sorry if I come off as harsh here but I guess I'm just getting tired of hearing "I'm not connecting as well to the Japanese cast of this game speaking a language I don't understand compared to this already localized game that I can completely understand." Well no shit you do.
Typically EN Dubs aren't that different from the JP dubs, and especially when they continue to re-use the same VA acting pool that they do to fill in those same roles. Xenoblade was a rarity in that regard where you had charming British VA come in.

And if you don't like hearing it. Well too bad, but that goes to show that it's enough of a complaint that it isn't just me thinking that.

rhandino

Banned

rgrrgx.gif

That creepy one-eyed monster to the left... Nnnnnnnnnnnnn

Or is a statue? Welp, time to start taking notes of what to investigate when I get the game =P

OH! A question? Do any of you have an area that you can't wait to explore? Mine is Oblivia, mostly because that MASSIVE ring...

Etria

Not quite a forest. Barely a savannah.

Eh, I guess while I'm at it:

Primordia: primus (first) + ordiri (to begin). Basically The Origin.

Noctilum: Nocti (night) + lum (light) = Land of Nocturnal Lights

Oblivia: Oblivisci (to forget) = The Forgotten Land

Sylvalum: Sylva (forest) + lum (light) = Forest of Light

Cauldros: Caldius (hot) -> Caldarium (cooking pot) = Literally Caudron Land. Calderas, massive supervolcanos, are named from the same root. It's a boiling pot.

Thanks! I'm really feline the Latin etymology of the continents. They give such an fantastical vibe :p

Hiltz

Can I just say that the fact that we had other outlets providing previews was great? Although it was also strange. I'd expect Nintendo to want to hype it up when the release is close (although this has been known and given trailers since 2013). My first guess is just that they want to get it out there before the Japanese version arrives.

I remember we learned about the Japanese date before the Directs started. Maybe I'm just reading into too much and it's nothing.

We could get another small look in a month before E3 time, but that's being too hopeful.

I think IGN said its getting the Japanese version of the game next week, so we an expect some more coverage.

chadboban

Typically EN Dubs aren't that different from the JP dubs, and especially when they continue to re-use the same VA acting pool that they do to fill in those same roles. Xenoblade was a rarity in that regard where you had charming British VA come in.

And if you don't like hearing it. Well too bad, but that goes to show that it's enough of a complaint that it isn't just me thinking that.

Don't agree with this. We've had examples as recent as Noctis in FFXV that prove otherwise.

If all that mattered to you was that you weren't getting British VA's, you could've just said that instead of judging a localization you haven't even heard yet.

And don't get me wrong here, I fucking loved the original Xenoblade's localization, it's one of the best I've ever seen. Honestly I would've argued for a British voice cast for this game as well if it wasn't for the fact that the accents just won't fit with the story of an American ship crashing on an alien planet.

Etria

Don't agree with this. We've had examples as recent as Noctis in FFXV that prove otherwise.

If all that mattered to you was that you weren't getting British VA's, you could've just said that instead of judging a localization you haven't even heard yet.

And don't get me wrong here, I fucking loved the original Xenoblade's localization, it's one of the best I've ever seen. Honestly I would've argued for a British voice cast for this game as well if it wasn't for the fact that the accents just won't fit with the story of an American ship crashing on an alien planet.

I reckon that there may be other accents in the cast, not just American VA, simply because of the diversity of residents in almost any major city in the world. It's not surprising to find a multicutural mix of citizens in LA, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it just depends on how they go about recruiting voice talent, and whether they will think to diversify.

We're so screwed.

Are you a fellow Kiwi? :p

chadboban

I reckon that there may be other accents in the cast, not just American VA, simply because of the diversity of residents in almost any major city in the world. It's not surprising to find a multicutural mix of citizens in LA, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it just depends on how they go about recruiting voice talent, and whether they will think to diversify.

I would love it if they handled it this way and included a wide range of accents. A Brit here, an Irish there and perhaps even some Kiwis ;)

Would be great to add some diversity to NLA.

Etria

I would love it if they handled it this way and included a wide range of accents. A Brit here, an Irish there and perhaps even some Kiwis ;)

Would be great to add some diversity to NLA.

Yeah, that way the whole atmosphere of NLA will feel much more lived-in and accommodating to players, with the added bonus that it's more realistic like this.

As long as they don't botch the accents, i.e. make people fake accents. For example, it's hard not to cringe when people put on a 'Kiwi' accent when in reality, they're trying to enact a stereotypical Maori accent, and instead end up sounding somewhat racist.
Man, that would be a disaster waiting to happen if so.

I hope I didn't go too offtopic here :O

Basically, native speakers of different ethnicities all speaking English would be welcome. Or even better, if it's important to the story, have some random citizens not speaking English to throw in some more diversity because why not :p

SeanTSC

There's not really a *huge* range of accents for West Coast cities - the Flat American West Coast Accent which is basically the "broadcast American TV No Accent"-Accent makes up the vast majority of people up and down Washington, Oregon, and California and we all sound the same unless you get really deep into Hispanic and Asian communities that still kind of retain their own, but the younger people from them sound pretty much like everyone else. Same goes for the Native American tribes up here. If you were born on the West Coast you almost always sound exactly like everyone else.

I've been up and down the entire coast a whole lot and the only people who have ever sounded any different were people who weren't born here and moved in from other states or countries. People who move here also tend to lose their accents incredibly quickly. I had a friend with DEEP Tennessee accent completely lose his in like 1-2 years tops. Though did do that on purpose, since people tend to think you might be kinda stupid if you sound like you're from the south and he was pretty embarrassed of it.

chadboban

Yeah, that way the whole atmosphere of NLA will feel much more lived-in and accommodating to players, with the added bonus that it's more realistic like this.

As long as they don't botch the accents, i.e. make people fake accents. For example, it's hard not to cringe when people put on a 'Kiwi' accent when in reality, they're trying to enact a stereotypical Maori accent, and instead end up sounding somewhat racist.
Man, that would be a disaster waiting to happen if so.

I hope I didn't go too offtopic here :O

What? No way man, didn't you see the previous pages. We were talking about calling the mechs stuff like Terrain Investigator Titan Suits (T.I.T.S.) and Battle Ready Armor(B.R.A.). If you were being off topic, then I have no clue what the fuck we were doing. lol

What? No way man, didn't you see the previous pages. We were talking about calling the mechs stuff like Terrain Investigator Titan Suits (T.I.T.S.) and Battle Ready Armor(B.R.A.). If you were being off topic, then I have no clue what the fuck we were doing. lol

Positively BRAoff to-pics.

Etria

Yup :)

KiwiXenoGaf unite!

The thing with American accents though is how infectious it is. Most of my born-and-raised kiwi friends converted within a year of living there.

*high five* So rare to meet another NZer who actually knows about Xenoblade :p
I am one of the newly inducted to XenoGAF since I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time. Having a blast :D

Wow, I didn't know that American accents were that infectious. Though having heard those accents in person, they sure are catchy. I sometimes get told I say words like 'mirror' somewhat like an American would because of the emphasis on the 'r'.

There's not really a *huge* range of accents for West Coast cities - the Flat American West Coast Accent which is basically the "broadcast American TV No Accent"-Accent makes up the vast majority of people up and down Washington, Oregon, and California and we all sound the same unless you get really deep into Hispanic and Asian communities that still kind of retain their own, but the younger people from them sound pretty much like everyone else. Same goes for the Native American tribes up here. If you were born on the West Coast you almost always sound exactly like everyone else.

I've been up and down the entire coast a whole lot and the only people who have ever sounded any different were people who weren't born here and moved in from other states or countries. People who move here also tend to lose their accents incredibly quickly. I had a friend with DEEP Tennessee accent completely lose his in like 1-2 years tops. Though did do that on purpose, since people tend to think you might be kinda stupid if you sound like you're from the south and he was pretty embarrassed of it.

Those are very interesting observations. I learnt quite a bit :)
Interesting you should mention how everyone seems to lose what little native accent they have if they're of a different ethnicity, because it's the same here where people who grow up and are schooled here from a young age adopt a Kiwi accent, whereas exchange students or students coming here late in high school or university do not.

Out of curiosity, why would your friend from the South be embarassed of his accent? I find accents from the Deep South quite compelling, especially from listening to 'To Kill a Mockingbird.'

Haha, I kind of skipped over those previous parts. Point taken :p

SeanTSC

*Out of curiosity, why would your friend from the South be embarassed of his accent? I find accents from the Deep South quite compelling, especially from listening to 'To Kill a Mockingbird.'

There's a fairly pervasive prejudice on the West Coast where if you have a thick accent from another region in the US, especially a Southern Accent, that you're less intelligent/stupid.

Basically, people will think you're a Dumb Redneck/Hick.

hatchx

Banned

rgrrgx.gif

Such a goddamn beautiful game with so many diverse environments. This is the first JRPG I've been interested in in a long time (well, since Xenoblade Chronicles really).

This can't come out soon enough, but I have a feeling it'll slip to 2016. My worry is that there's just no realistic space for XCX in Q4 without getting buried. It's not a holiday flagship game, but a brilliant one for a more quiet time of year (winter/summer).

jaina

Wth with your party following your vehicle doll by foot? Such an immersion breaker.

There's even a defense buff system so you can mix doll and on-foot party members during combat. I like having options. And the running speed is unrealistic already :)

Nanashrew

Banned
There's a fairly pervasive prejudice on the West Coast where if you have a thick accent from another region in the US, especially a Southern Accent, that you're less intelligent/stupid.

There are still people out there that believe most people in Texas have these accents too and it sucks.

SeanTSC

Wth with your party following your vehicle doll by foot? Such an immersion breaker.

I think that "normally" your whole party has mechs, but they either didn't have them bought for everyone yet or it's a story thing where they only had one so far. They've shown footage of everyone in their mechs, iirc.

Waking up and catching up. Actually surprised that the thread only went up by like 40 pages while I slept.

Skells doesn't really sound bad to me, just seems like an unneeded change. Nothing I'm going to get mad over though. The thought of the idea behind changing it does bother me a little, but really going to try not to dwell on it.

The one thing that does worry me about it is knowing that they have no hesitation to change terms and words, and I hope that it doesn't happen to terms that have actually secondary meanings just to appeal/not offend with their original meaning. We will see where this takes us.

Well back to the video.

Just watched the treehouse session. From the way they were talking, it sounds like they are working on the localization themselves. Hope that's indeed the case. :)

Gambit

Gotta say, I was a little relieved that the narrator's voice is not Elma as I initially suspected but simply a narrator.

Etria

That's disappointing to hear that that sort of prejudice still exists. It's sort of similar to the situation people find themselves when living in countries where there are numerous dialects, and having one that is considered 'acceptable' to the majority, with all others being less treated less equal :/

There are still people out there that believe most people in Texas have these accents too and it sucks.

Such a sad misconception to have. Texans are wonderful people, and have their own unique accents ;)

So which mech name do you guys prefer, Dolls or Skells?

I've gotten acclimatised to hearing mechs being called Dolls, but Skells has a nice call back to exoskeleton, and at least people won't immediately associate it with anything else.

TDLink

Finished watching the treehouse stream. I still feel this game is going to land in August or September. No way it's the big holiday game in October/November since it's already out in Japan in a few days. Also no way it's December since they don't want to put this after black friday.

August/September is what makes the most sense if June/July isn't happening. Plus it's still close enough to this direct/stream where it makes sense as to why they would start promoting it to NA audiences right now at the end of April.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seeing how over night Skells has become this unique, epic, iconic, extraordinary name I would say that NoA should totally name the game Skelloblade in NA. Or even better, Skellotats.

Hey, I want to show you my skell! It's so cool.

Top Bottom