• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U no longer coming march 2017?

kromeo

Honestly March is way too awkward a time period, I mean sure it's the best after winter, but a march release pretty much guarantee's low momentum for console unless it's a lightning in a bottle which is unlikely. They're better off releasing in winter again using E3 2017 to hype the console and consolidate all launch and post release titles.

Would they be willing to go another year and a half of selling nothing but amiibos and a few 3DS games though?

Crayolan

This probably isn't true tbh. Most of the current WiiU owners are Nintendo diehards or people who own multiple consoles (or kids). Other than the kids, those are the people most likely to buy NX right when it comes out, and Zelda along with the new hardware. The same thing happened with Twilight Princess. Current WiiU owners are ready for the next console.

if they're getting one at launch they were always gonna get it regardless.

Honestly, I don't see the problem. I don't know if GameCube owners were upset or not, but either way there will be Wii U owners buying a NX anyways. And if you really want Zelda you'll probably make the jump to buy the NX version of you see if coming first.

The Wii U user base is so small I don't think Nintendo would care lol.

What is the benefit though? Like you say, the Wii U userbase is small, and Nintendo cares more about non-Wii U owners jumping on board. Releasing simultaneously isn't going to lose any sales from this group, and splitting releases isn't going to increase sales from current Wii U owners. All it's gonna do is get them more bad press for being dicks.

Lux R7

giphy.gif

IMO, Zelda surely has to launch alongisde NX, so any further delay Zelda gets it's because NX gets delayed. I'm saying it will launch with NX because it's the literally the only reason it got delayed in first place.

On the other hand, maybe they're banking on New Super Mario Bros. NX where, I don't know, a mushroom turns you into a giraffe or something.

ironcreed

Banned
I am just not even going to give a shit anymore until we know for certain, but I fully expect NX and Zelda to be pushed to November 2017. Better not to worry about it, as I have too much to look forward to that is releasing this year. My hype for anything Nintendo has completely vanished.

ReyVGM

The NX version is releasing in march with the NX. The WiiU version will come in april. It's another TP situation.

What is the benefit though? Like you say, the Wii U userbase is small, and Nintendo cares more about non-Wii U owners jumping on board. Releasing simultaneously isn't going to lose any sales from this group, and splitting releases isn't going to increase sales from current Wii U owners. All it's gonna do is get them more bad press for being dicks.
I think a small handful of Wii U owners will be upset, but by that time the NX will be hyped and the media will be hyped for the NX version of Zelda that it won't matter. It does benefit them to release the Wii U version of Zelda like a month after Zelda NX. There are plenty of die hard Zelda fans who want the game and would buy the NX version if it's coming first.

I guess it wouldn't be bad to release them the same day, but Wii U version shouldn't come first.

Well, they've done it before and we still love them. No harm will be done to them.

Drek

Eh, Nintendo can do whatever they want. When/if they release Zelda for Wii U it'll be the last product of theirs I buy unless my daughter desperately wants whatever anti-consumer POS they're shoving out the door in five years time.

Anyone actually upset about it needs to come to grips with the reality of enabler/enabled relationships.

Neoxon

Eh, Nintendo can do whatever they want. When/if they release Zelda for Wii U it'll be the last product of theirs I buy unless my daughter desperately wants whatever anti-consumer POS they're shoving out the door in five years time.

Anyone actually upset about it needs to come to grips with the reality of enabler/enabled relationships.
It'll come to the Wii U, they wouldn't be demonstrating it at E3 if it wasn't.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, they already said they aren't showing off NX stuff until later this year. But at E3 in June they are giving the game a media blowout and playable gameplay demo.

its the Wii U version.

So either it won't be an NX launch title, it's getting another delay, the NX is getting delayed, or the WiiU version is going to be pushed back until after the NX one gets released.

All of those options kind of suck balls.

Neoxon

Yeah, they already said they aren't showing off NX stuff until later this year. But at E3 in June they are giving the game a media blowout and gameplay demo.

its the Wii U version.
Exactly, I don't get why some are thinking that the Wii U version will get scrapped.

Drek

OK, I trust Nintendo to not screw their consumers about as much as I'd trust Hannibal Lechter not to start drooling when he sees someone cut themselves.

Neoxon

OK, I trust Nintendo to not screw their consumers about as much as I'd trust Hannibal Lechter not to start drooling when he sees someone cut themselves.
It's more about common sense. If they were gonna scrap the Wii U version, they would have done so by now (especially in the previous investor's briefing, where the bad news just kept coming).

farisr

They said March 2017 for NX, and 2017 for Zelda before.

I even stated in a topic before that I think they set a vague 2017 date for Zelda so that it wouldn't be overly apparent that the game got delayed into 2017 due to Nintendo wanting it to launch with the NX first so the game isn't "old news" when the NX releases..

Also I think NX has a March 2017 release date due to fiscal year reasons, and hence think the console will indeed release in March rather than be pushed back unless there are some really bad development problems with multiple games that are meant to be launch titles.

DKJB79

they should release the WIIU ver in december 2016 for 40 bucks, then, march 2017, 20 bucks more for the NX (cross buy) for WIIU owners to get (maybe) the best graphical version, gameplay and some more content and switch to NX

So Nintendo hasn't announced a single genuinely worthwhile home console game to be release between November 2015 and some time after March 2017? That's pretty amazing.

Neoxon

So Nintendo hasn't announced a single genuinely worthwhile home console game to be release between November 2015 and some time after March 2017? That's pretty amazing.
Pokkén Tournament & Star Fox Zero (though I guess the latter was teased back in 2014).

I think people are insane for thinking NX will get pushed. If that thing doesn't come out in March, their fiscal year will just be death. Absolute death. It'll make this past year look like peak Wii years by comparison. That console could be a flaming ball of hot garbage and they'd still push it out in March.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Would they be willing to go another year and a half of selling nothing but amiibos and a few 3DS games though?

They're already doing that for 4 months skipping this years holidays and and summer is the worst time for selling hardware. Comparitively a delay to August- November or somthing is too much of sacrifice considering they've already made a big one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They said March 2017 for NX, and 2017 for Zelda before.

I even stated in a topic before that I think they set a vague 2017 date for Zelda so that it wouldn't be overly apparent that the game got delayed into 2017 due to Nintendo wanting it to launch with the NX first so the game isn't "old news" when the NX releases..

Also I think NX has a March 2017 release date due to fiscal year reasons, and hence think the console will indeed release in March rather than be pushed back unless there are some really bad development problems with multiple games that are meant to be launch titles.

Yeah, the "vague" 2017 is (90% chances) in order to not make even more obvious that the game has been delayed in order to have it at NX launch.

butman

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad one.

- People that already have a Wii U will only pay $60 to play the game.

- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

- Going for the NX + Zelda version will cost $470.

udivision

Don't get why Nintendo is repeating Twilight Princess strategy again making the new Zelda a launch title for the NX. It's a bad one.

- People that doesn't have a Wii U probably will go to the Wii U version too. Wii U (a used one) + Zelda $260

What was bad about TP or Wii sales?

It worked last time?

Astral Dog

they should release the WIIU ver in december 2016 for 40 bucks, then, march 2017, 20 bucks more for the NX (cross buy) for WIIU owners to get (maybe) the best graphical version, gameplay and some more content and switch to NX
Im sorry,that will never happen, they need Zelda to sell NX, they wont waste money to advertise the Wii U version months in advance when they could do both.
Nor they will cut the price of the NX port, sell Wii U at $40 (!!!) or anything like that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The E3 2016 has become even more embarassing than before.
I am now pretty sure the nx and Zelda delayed out of the holiday was caused by hw issues, otherwise if it was planned they would have skipped e3 entirely (as many other companies are doing)

Top Bottom