• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 12, 2008

m14

Disappointing showing by Bully Wii compared to 360 and a poor second week display by NMH. Decent performance by CSI though and Sonic just keeps selling. Pro Evo Wii in next weeks charts?

Over to you Phife Dawg...

A 60% rise for Mario and Sonic this week? Sweet Jesus the thing is a monster of unknown proportions. Its going to end up the best selling game of all time in the UK at this rate.

brain_stew said:
To be fair, of all the major third parties Sega's Wii support has probably made the most sense . Ghost Squad, Olympics, Monkey Ball and Superstars Tennis are all perfect fits for the Wii and they aren't half showing it.

All the money they must be making from the Wii must surely be turning a few heads both internally and externally. Its cast iron proof that if you make the right games and market them, then the Wii can be a goldmine.
True, but for example Ubisoft. Who the hell makes the business decisions there? They were the only major publisher to support the Wii from the gates with original new IPs (Red Steel, RRR) and both did very well, going on to sell a million+ units each. And what do they do? Instead of finetuning the controls of Red Steel to make a sequel that's good instead of just meh, they decide to release a bunch of horrid crap on the Wii that doesn't sell at all. It's the typical "release crappy game --> no sales --> publisher not happy --> blames platform the game's released on --> stops supporting platform" cycle.

Is there going to be a Red Steel II anyway? I thought it was on the way, but it's been awfully quiet about it.

Sadist

Souldriver said:
Is there going to be a Red Steel II anyway? I thought it was on the way, but it's been awfully quiet about it.
Yes. But it was so shitty that Ubisoft decided to give the game to another team. Guess we will be hearing from it during the E3 or something.

Luckyman

Banned
Frillen said:
Much less.

That´s funny considering Rising Star was celebrating NMH 14th place like it was the second coming.

"We are weeping with delight. Especially as sales should improve further with the TV campaign moving up a gear from tonight,” said Rising Star managing director Martin Defries. “It is a verification of all the posturing and ambitious claims made these past months.

I think a 'told you so' would be apt at some point.”

Luckyman said:
That´s funny considering Rising Star was celebrating NMH 14th place like it was the second coming.

I'm very surprised that No More Heroes has vanished entirely. It placed decently for a relatively niche game, it's had a reasonable TV push and good store placement - I would have expected at least one or two more weeks in the charts.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
dTau said:
but less than the no pricedrop ps3 had apparently

resistance jumped 15 places, halo 3 only jumped 6

There are bundles available for both systems and their are multiple games involved in the separate bundles. Not everyone wants Halo 3 as Halo as been a very frontloaded game since Halo 2

mabuza

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
There are bundles available for both systems and their are multiple games involved in the separate bundles. Not everyone wants Halo 3 as Halo as been a very frontloaded game since Halo 2
OA this

Lightning

Banned
Massive drop for Lost Odyssey.... and Uncharted for that matter. Both likely gone next week.

Other than that disappointing news, good week.

llonesmiz

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm very surprised that No More Heroes has vanished entirely. It placed decently for a relatively niche game, it's had a reasonable TV push and good store placement - I would have expected at least one or two more weeks in the charts.

According to this it's the first wii game not in the top 40 so I guess its situation is not that bad.

Arde5643

Does anyone know if it's easy to find No More Heroes in game stores around?

Just curious to see if it's going to have the same problem as K7 when it was released where it was overshipped by a large amount.

pswii60

77% of R6 sales on 360 with just 23% on PS3?

Amazing how things change depending on the game. DMC4 was much closer in the first week, and Burnout Paradise even closer again, until the point that the streams crossed a few weeks down the line.

Arde5643 said:
Does anyone know if it's easy to find No More Heroes in game stores around?
Pretty easy by looks of it... I don't always pay a huge amount of attention, but it's definitely been in stock in numerous stores.

iceatcs

pswii60 said:

Amazing how things change depending on the game. DMC4 was much closer in the first week, and Burnout Paradise even closer again, until the point that the streams crossed a few weeks down the line.

I think many ps3 are drop out because the bad port from the first one and type of taste. Or many new 360 owners might pick it up as well.

szaromir

Banned
Really impressive for R6V2 360. I don't think it'll have a really long tail though.
Great to see Halo 3 climbing the charts.:D Hopefully the free DLC will make an additional bumb this week.

donny2112

UK_wk12.png

m14 said:
Disappointing showing by Bully Wii compared to 360 and a poor second week display by NMH. Decent performance by CSI though and Sonic just keeps selling. Pro Evo Wii in next weeks charts?

Over to you Phife Dawg...
Thanks m14.

I agree, NMH's second week performance should make any fan weep in pain. That boy showed so much promise in last week's game. At least he retained a No. 12 position on the Wii chart. But with such a crippling performance will we ever see him back?

Ok I suck at this.

PES Wii should be showing up. At least here in Germany they're airing a few TV spots here and there. While I think they do a poor job at explaining the game mechanics they should raise awareness at least. I don't expect it to light up the charts though.

360 price cut doesn't seem to have a big effect on software sales, even after over a week now (what a lot of posters were suggesting last week).

WiiPlay makes a re-appearance. This one goes on and off depending on stock - will NoE ever sort this shit out? Next on the list of supply fuck-ups: Mario Kart Wii. Oh well at least it seems PS3 fans can now join in on the fun as well (GT5:p).

That CSI PC/ port made it to the charts? Good for Telltale, I hope S&M for Wii (if it does come out) does good as well. Did the PC game and 360 port ever made it to the charts? Can't remember.

Superstar Tennis only charting for Wii makes sense, at least here in Germany the ad was focused on Wii and the other versions were only shown briefly at the end (boxarts).

le.phat said:
uncharted remains un-uncharted it seems ;)
i wonder how copies it has sold by now ?
Still on silver (more than 100k sold but not 200k [gold]).

BrokenSymmetry said:
Haven't seen many remarks here on the fact that Vegas 2 sold 3.3 times the amount on the 360 than it did on the PS3. Surprising?
Not really, since the fanbase for Rainbow Six Vegas was build mainly on the 360.

C4Lukins

pswii60 said:

The Clancy games definitely have the same sort of association with the XBOX that games like DMC have with the Playstation. It is a big deal when a Rainbow Six/ Splinter Cell/ Ghost Recon comes out on the 360, but the Sony fans just whistle with boredom.

Lightning

Banned
I said last week that No More Heroes wouldn't stick around. Although I personally don't know if it's a good game or not. I have bought or even tried it yet.

Lightning said:
It's was a hyperbole joke.

Although I don't believe that NMH will be around for long, just a feeling.

Neomoto

brain_stew said:
A 60% rise for Mario and Sonic this week? Sweet Jesus the thing is a monster of unknown proportions. Its going to end up the best selling game of all time in the UK at this rate.
In the Netherlands at least they did a new run of M & S commercials. I guess it's the same for the UK.

I agree that Sega is doing great on the system. I hope this will lead to more quality games on the system. It's about time developers as a whole get their shit together and step up with quality games and marketing.

Raist

Banned
fe01ti.png

Denmark :
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 22 March 2008

01 (01) The Sims 2: Freetime (Electronic Arts)
02 (03) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
03 (05) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
04 (06) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
05 (04) Army Of Two (Electronic Arts)
06 (08) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Nordisk Film)
07 (__) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (Ubisoft)
08 (07) Need For Speed: Prostreet (Electronic Arts)
09 (10) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (K.e. Media)
10 (09) Counter-strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
11 (11) Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Pan Vision)
12 (14) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)
13 (18) Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction (Nordisk Film)
14 (12) Counter-strike 1: Anthology (Electronic Arts)
15 (20) Buzz! Junior: Dino Den (Nordisk Film)
16 (16) World Of Warcraft (Vivendi Games)
17 (17) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
18 (19) Warcraft Iii: Reign Of Chaos (Vivendi Games)
19 (15) World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
20 (__) Singstar Legends (Nordisk Film)

picsou

Banned
Raist said:
fe01ti.png

Denmark :
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 22 March 2008

01 (01) The Sims 2: Freetime (Electronic Arts)
02 (03) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
03 (05) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
04 (06) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
05 (04) Army Of Two (Electronic Arts)
06 (08) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Nordisk Film)
07 (__) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (Ubisoft)
08 (07) Need For Speed: Prostreet (Electronic Arts)
09 (10) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (K.e. Media)
10 (09) Counter-strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
11 (11) Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Pan Vision)
12 (14) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)
13 (18) Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction (Nordisk Film)
14 (12) Counter-strike 1: Anthology (Electronic Arts)
15 (20) Buzz! Junior: Dino Den (Nordisk Film)
16 (16) World Of Warcraft (Vivendi Games)
17 (17) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
18 (19) Warcraft Iii: Reign Of Chaos (Vivendi Games)
19 (15) World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
20 (__) Singstar Legends (Nordisk Film)

nord what ?

tiong_fi

2ry58hv.png

Finland :
Weeks 11 + 12, 2008, ALL FORMATShttp://www.peliplaneetta.net/pelikonsolit/uutiset/8484/Suomen-myydyimmat-pelit-113---2532008/ (figma.fi hasn't been updated yet)

01 (02) NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)
02 (01) The Sims 2: Free Time (Electronic Arts)
03 (__) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Ubisoft)
04 (04) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
05 (05) Army Of Two (Electronic Arts)
06 (06) NFS: Pro Street (Electronic Arts)
07 (07) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
08 (09) The Simpsons: The Game (Electronic Arts)
09 (10) Counter-Strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
10 (RE) Singstar Legendat (Sony)

dabra

2up4lc5.png

Germany
week 12, 2008

01 (01) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
02 (02) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
03 (03) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
04 (04) [NDS] Pr. Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo)
05 (05) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
06 (09) [NDS] Animal Crossing DS (Nintendo)
07 (07) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
08 (__) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
09 (08) [NDS] The Suite Life of Zack & Cody: Kreis der Spione (Disney Interactive Studios)
10 (06) [NDS] Think Logic Trainer (Nintendo)

Phife Dawg said:
360 price cut doesn't seem to have a big effect on software sales, even after over a week now (what a lot of posters were suggesting last week).

Having a game launch larger than Gears of War, PES, and FIFA in March isn't a big deal now? :lol

This is Rainbow Six, not Call of Duty 5.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Having a game launch larger than Gears of War, PES, and FIFA in March isn't a big deal now? :lol

This is Rainbow Six, not Call of Duty 5.
I don't think that can be attributed solely to the price cut. I don't know what RS debuted at but you do know that it's gold (over 200k) just like GoW, PES, Fifa? This was bound to sell well.

Raist

Banned
Oh Germany, what have you done... :lol

Roxas said:
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas still in the top 10 in Denmark? wat?!

It's an all price chart. Maybe GTA:SA's price has dropped to 5€ in Denmark or something.

farnham

Banned
Souldriver said:
Good Lord, Germany.
1855.gif

Way to many titles with "training" in the title.
Im telling you

if they market professor layton as

Prof. Dr. Dr. Laytons Mysterious Village Puzzle Solving Training

It will sell Millions

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
farnham said:
Im telling you

if they market professor layton as

Prof. Dr. Dr. Laytons Mysterious Village Puzzle Solving Training

It will sell Millions

The sequel will sell even more:

Prof. Dr. Dr. Laytons Mysterious Village Puzzle Solving Training at the Olympic Games

mabuza said:
smh @ the germans. shame on you phife.
Hey, I do my part (although I mostly import from the UK via Play).

Apart from that I don't see anything wrong (other than NMH not making an appearance). BT and BT2 are good edutainment. M&S Wii is a fun game, just like MK, NSMB. AC is a fun non-game. M&S DS, Math Training and Think I can't comment on. Latter is an adaptation of a board game series. Board games are immensely popular here, so it doing well isn't that surprising. The only (most likely) shit title is that Z&C stuff - DS is popular with the kids as well, not much you can do about it.

Oh and I recently discovered that DS is now part of the "Software Pyramide" budget line (basically a stash of budget titles in the shape of a pyramid, hence the name). They used to cover just PC/PS2/GBA stuff. Budget titles are a big deal here, so I expect the DS craze to get even more ridiculous.

There were some decent titles available: Sonic Rush, Castlevania DoS amongst others.

Don't forget teh PC top 10 for Germany :D

01 (01) Sims 2: Free Time
02 (02) Dawn of War: Soulstorm
03 (03) Call of Duty 4
04 (04) WoW: Burning Crusade
05 (06) Counter Strike Source
06 (09) NfS Most Wanted
07 (RE) WoW Battlechest
08 (08) The Wicher
09 (05) World of Warcraft
10 (RE) Star Wars Battlefront 2

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
methane47 said:
Resistance! out of left field!

I have a feeling that Resistance will still be selling decent amounts by this time next year. It'll enjoy a bit of a resurgence when the sequel hits, and if Sony make a Platinum/Greatest Hits line, then it'll definately be boosted.

Top Bottom