• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

Barrett2

spindoc said:
Fuse your Dark Firaga with any DMW materia (you can buy them from the QMC+ store) and you'll get Hell Firaga.

I also found the Mug materia to be very useful, essential for anyone who wants to do some serious materia fusing.

When I bring up the QMC store, I can only buy a handful of materia. Do I need to go back to Shinra HQ and visit the Materia lab to 'activate' the ability to buy different Materia?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
When I bring up the QMC store, I can only buy a handful of materia. Do I need to go back to Shinra HQ and visit the Materia lab to 'activate' the ability to buy different Materia?

Actually, you find the link to the QMC+ store pretty late into the story in
a chest at Zack's hometown, Gongaga

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Some Weaklin said:
I'm at
the Nibelhiem beach. I just broke out of the mansion with Cloud and heading to Midgar.
How much longer do I have?

Maybe it's better if you don't know, I
had this sense of dread the whole I was escaping. Definitely added to the tension of the story.

If you must know about
2-3 hours of story gameplay.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm sure this has been covered, but I didn't want to read through the thread for sake of spoilers.

I'm about 9 hours in, and I still don't really get how materia combining works. What are good combos? Is there really a rule on what goes with what? I have a ton of MAG up and SPR ups I've accrued through my steal ability, and it says something like "combine 5 of these to make an item"... but I can only combine 2 of them at a time. Are they talking about something else?

Should I be like buying a bunch of thunder materia from the store and merging it with my Thundgaga? Should I merge my Thundara with my Thungaga to make the Thungaga better?

I'm pretty lost.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
FlyinJ said:
I'm sure this has been covered, but I didn't want to read through the thread for sake of spoilers.

I'm about 9 hours in, and I still don't really get how materia combining works. What are good combos? Is there really a rule on what goes with what? I have a ton of MAG up and SPR ups I've accrued through my steal ability, and it says something like "combine 5 of these to make an item"... but I can only combine 2 of them at a time. Are they talking about something else?

Should I be like buying a bunch of thunder materia from the store and merging it with my Thundgaga? Should I merge my Thundara with my Thungaga to make the Thungaga better?

I'm pretty lost.

I still don't fully understand it, but I've made a few observations.

Fire Blizzard and Thunder use circular logic
F+B=T
F+T=B
T+B=F and so on...

Stronger materia usually persists in fusions. Let's say I have a HP++ with 50% HP and I fuse it with a HP+ materia that carries a HP boost of 20%, the end result is HP++ 60%HP. You can use item fusion to play around with the stats further, elixers and potions can be used to bump up the results for example.

edit: You get item fusion in the 7-2-X mission series.

Some stat fusions can be translated into others. I've used a materia with ATK+5 to boost my HP materia.

Sometimes, mastering one materia and then fusing it will create a new combo.

DMW materia seems key to getting the best materias. You get those from the QMC+ store.

There's a huge guide on GFaqs that actually elaborates on all the combinations, if you want to check it out.

Ronok

I thought I would mention, I'm at chapter 8 and I only have 2 stores...... I feel like I'm meant to have more. >.>;;

And why, when I went to the stores in
sector 5 slums
did I not get them added to my list?

Amir0x

Banned
i am trying so hard not to burn this game, but i have went through like fifty missions and it seems every last one is just walking through featureless corridors or deserts or forests and encountering a billion busywork enemies. Is this really what makes up the bulk of the game outside of the story? Even FFX-2 was better at this shit!

Yeah, that's my last word on this game. Fuck it.

SomeDude

Banned
Amir0x said:
i am trying so hard not to burn this game, but i have went through like fifty missions and it seems every last one is just walking through featureless corridors or deserts or forests and encountering a billion busywork enemies. Is this really what makes up the bulk of the game outside of the story? Even FFX-2 was better at this shit!

Yeah, that's my last word on this game. Fuck it.

That's the exact same problem I had with FF7: DoC. The worlds in these ff7 spinoff games are so bland...

Deadly

Ronok said:
I thought I would mention, I'm at chapter 8 and I only have 2 stores...... I feel like I'm meant to have more. >.>;;

And why, when I went to the stores in
sector 5 slums
did I not get them added to my list?

You also have to do some of the missions to unlock some stores.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, story-wise, I'm only after Wutai and meeting Tseng. But Zack's level 20, and I've done 10% of the missions. They're pretty damn awful.

The missions to me are five minutes of mindless fun. I hack some enemies up, I get an item. I could see how that would annoy some people after awhile.

jjasper

Just wondering does anyone know the total number of missions?

Edit: Just found it, Jesus there is no way I am doing all 300.

Oh...wow. I officially hate the DMW. I was just facing
Bahamut Fury
and got him down to 10k HP and was dodging his little Wing missiles when the DMW started a-rolling. It had already landed two sephiroths and then broke into one of those memory mini cutscenes, so I was just 'Alright, another Sephiroth is like guaranteed, cool, I get a free 1k damage on this boss', but no, instead I get fucking Aerith, and in my shock, I fail to respond for the few seconds the game decides to get back to the battle and die from 6 1,000 hit missiles.

Oh well, at least I get to watch that 5 minute cutscene again before I can get back to the battle. Terrific!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I always thought the missions were just short bursts of fun for example you can play a mission on the bus/train ride to work or school and finish the mission by the time you reach you destination. The missions are not mandatory but an extension of the game.

Ferrio said:
People going to burn themselves on the crappy missions and not finish the damn game.

IDK, i have to go do some missions to fight
Sephiroth
but then i get sidetracked and get stuck in mission mode :lol

Amir0x

Banned
DMPrince said:
it's not so bad. when you do 1, you did all 300 :lol

Yes! Seriously not trying to pull a Himuro here or anything, and yes obviously I went into this game with some pre-bias, but I feel like the entire game world has went nuts on this one. And it's not like I'm biased against PSP, I like the system more than DS!

80% of the game is comprised of these atrocious missions. Optional, yes. The other 20% is comprised of just incomprehensibly awful story and dialogue and voice, unskippable cutscenes, random battles made worse by central DMW random gameplay elements, ultra repetitive action combat system with little variety.

And to make matters worse, creating any strategic command over which major abilities you use is completely fucking up to whatever probability you have with your DMW at the moment. So you rely on weak materia that may randomly get leveled up, or get better materia through the tedious missions mentioned earlier.

Really all that is left is nostalgia fanwank, which I guess I should have known would be the case.

Is this the game jGAF was hyping? I feel like I'm playing some fucking THQ budget game, if the "budget" wasn't actually low at all. This is without a doubt my worst game purchase this year. 1.0/10

Ok now THIS is my last comment in the thread.

Amir0x

Banned
Ferrio said:
You can avoid battles

Yes, you can. If you hug the walls. That doesn't make battles not random. It just means if you squeeze against the wall like some retarded kid with autism, you can avoid fighting. It does not mean you can see enemies in advance, or choose when you deem to fight. It means if you stop hugging the wall - what a wonderful feature, by the way - you'll return to fighting every two steps.

Ferrio said:
I can't see how you could hate it. Unless you're relying on the DMW to win battles then why do you care if it's random?

You don't see how when everything from leveling up to leveling your materia - forcing you to wade through god knows how many battles to actually achieve a level you might feel your endless battling should have warranted in the first place - is bad?

You don't see how DMW randomly fucking choosing which major abilities you can use at any time being completely goddamn random removes any element of strategic depth to the game?

You don't see how the rest of the battle system consists of some light dodging and blocking followed by endlessly repetitively smashing X - there's not even an attempt to mix up the action gameplay. And if you don't want to wait for any of your materia to actually be worth half a shit (by being leveled up completely fucking randomly) you have to go play the atrocious missions to get anything worth a damn? Therefore highlighting the rest of the games flaws?

At this point I'm outright suggesting any Crisis Core supporter is by extension a FFVII apologist.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does anyone know if the EU version will have any changes to it? I'm on the fence on pre-ordering the EU version, i mostly want it for the artbook, but if there are any extras in the game that would be a bonus. I love how this game turned out.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Yes, you can. If you hug the walls. That doesn't make battles not random. It just means if you squeeze against the wall like some retarded kid with autism, you can avoid fighting. It does not mean you can see enemies in advance, or choose when you deem to fight. It means if you stop hugging the wall - what a wonderful feature, by the way - you'll return to fighting every two steps.

You don't see how when everything from leveling up to leveling your materia - forcing you to wade through god knows how many battles to actually achieve a level you might feel your endless battling should have warranted in the first place - is bad?

You don't see how DMW randomly fucking choosingwhich major abilities you can use at any time being completely goddamn random removes any element of strategic depth to the game?

You don't see how the rest of the battle system consists of some light dodging and blocking followed by endlessly repetitively smashing X - there's not even an attempt to mix up the action gameplay. And if you don't want to wait for any of your materia to actually be worth half a shit (by being leveled up completely fucking randomly) you have to go play the atrocious missions to get them? Therefore highlighting the rest of the games flaws?

At this point I'm outright suggesting any Crisis Core supporter is by extension a FFVII apologist.

You know, the more you use a materia, the faster it levels up? It's the same setup as the char levelling system. The random aspect of it isnt really there. The missions I do agree on, they could have been handled MUCH better, but I found the core of the gameplay behind the materia fusion. If it weren't for that, I would be closer to your position on the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Amir0x said:

By your explaination you prove my point, they aren't random. Battles are triggered by entering certain areas. If you avoid them, no battle. It's not random.

You don't see how DMW randomly fucking choosing which major abilities you can use at any time being completely goddamn random removes any element of strategic depth to the game?

You don't see how the rest of the battle system consists of some light dodging and blocking followed by endlessly repetitively smashing X - there's not even an attempt to mix up the action gameplay. And if you don't want to wait for any of your materia to actually be worth half a shit (by being leveled up completely fucking randomly) you have to go play the atrocious missions to get anything worth a damn? Therefore highlighting the rest of the games flaws?

At this point I'm outright suggesting any Crisis Core supporter is by extension a FFVII apologist.[/QUOTE]

Look, I understand the complaints... but here's the thing. The game is EASY, it's simple... and if you were looking for some super depth, ya it's not for you. I never once thought I had to grind to complete any part of the game. Hell, I only did 15% of the missions and I thought the game was way too damn easy.

Stop treating the game as an RPG where your trying to make some ultimate character, that's not what the game is.

Mejilan

Shit, I think I overdid it with the missions. I just wrapped up the mission after Wutai, and pretty much one-shotted every single enemy there. *shakes head* So no Zack levels or Materia levels or anything, because the DMW pretty much never got a chance to do jack shit. This game is nothing but mildly addicting but utterly pointless stupidity.

Amir0x said:

I had never played FFVII and I still loved Crisis Core. It's a great game. Just because the DMW is random doesn't mean there's no strategy to the battles. There are a lot of tough ones that take some skill with your timing of potions and dodges, and materia and whatnot. It's an A-RPG. Take for example Tales of Symphonia. It has a very similar combat system, except the DMW is an added bonus in CC. Both good games. Anyway if you don't like Crisis Core that's fine, but quit trolling! And the leveling system is not "completely fucking random".....

Ferrio

Banned
Mejilan said:
Shit, I think I overdid it with the missions. I just wrapped up the mission after Wutai, and pretty much one-shotted every single enemy there. *shakes head* So no Zack levels or Materia levels or anything, because the DMW pretty much never got a chance to do jack shit.

Was like that for me for a good part of the game, 4 power wrists will do that.

Mejilan

whiterabbit said:
I had never played FFVII and I still loved Crisis Core. It's a great game. Just because the DMW is random doesn't mean there's no strategy to the battles. There are a lot of tough ones that take some skill with your timing of potions and dodges, and materia and whatnot. It's an A-RPG. Take for example Tales of Symphonia. It has a very similar combat system, except the DMW is an added bonus in CC. Both good games. Anyway if you don't like Crisis Core that's fine, but quit trolling! And the leveling system is not "completely fucking random".....

This game is absolutely nothing like the Tales of series.

Mejilan said:
Shit, I think I overdid it with the missions. I just wrapped up the mission after Wutai, and pretty much one-shotted every single enemy there. *shakes head* So no Zack levels or Materia levels or anything, because the DMW pretty much never got a chance to do jack shit. This game is nothing but mildly addicting but utterly pointless stupidity.

Don't play it if you think it's stupid and utterly pointless. Maybe you don't like the graphics, the story, the characters, or the world? Also... it has quite a bit in common with Tales (of Symphonia at least, the only one I've played). Mainly the combat system. You've got an attack button, a block, and a couple of slots for special spells and attacks, just like Tales. Plus you can use items. It has more in common with tales than it does FFVII from a gameplay standpoint. Except for Tales has puzzles, but Crisis Core has better VA and plot.

Amir0x

Banned
Ferrio said:
Look, I understand the complaints... but here's the thing. The game is EASY, it's simple... and if you were looking for some super depth, ya it's not for you. I never once thought I had to grind to complete any part of the game. Hell, I only did 15% of the missions and I thought the game was way too damn easy.

Stop treating the game as an RPG where your trying to make some ultimate character, that's not what the game is.

Ok so if I understand you right...

1.) I'm playing on hard mode, but the game is EASY right? So therefore I should forgive the game for being a shallow hack fest? And unlike hack/slash dungeon crawlers, it doesn't even have the tangible reward!

2.) The vast majority of content in the game sucks, most people seem to acknowledge that. The "Missions" make up that. So they suck. And, apparently, I should just avoid it. I mean I can (and will because I will be throwing this game to Gamestop this weekend, banishing it forever)l, but I still think that's a pretty big fucking indictment of the game right there without me going further. But I will go further.

3.) I shouldn't treat this game as an "RPG" (which it is) where I try to make my character ultimate (even though all the systems are in place to do just that, even though they are tied to mechanics programmed by meth addicted monkeys), and focus on what? The story? The characters? THE HORRIBLE REPETITIVE NON-STRATEGIC ACTION GAMEPLAY?

You're right, I am approaching this game wrong. I should have been using it to wipe my ass.

whiterabbit said:
It has a very similar combat system, except the DMW is an added bonus in CC. Both good games. Anyway if you don't like Crisis Core that's fine, but quit trolling! And the leveling system is not "completely fucking random".....

Their combat system is NOTHING alike. Even though I didn't like Tales of Symphonia, it's battle system was just incalculably superior to the one in Crisis Core. You could, if you like, form a coherent strategy that was formulated around skill, rather than the arbitrary nature of a probability based slot machine.

And YES, leveling is random. There are things you can do to stack the odds - much like the more coins you put in a slot machine, the higher chance you have of winning - but it's still RANDOM. When it's going to occur is up in the air. The more you fight and the more exp you get, the more likely you are to finally hit that level up. But when you do so is still random. it's decided by a fucking slot machine that may decide to be a dick to you when you least want it. RANDOM.

Ferrio

Banned
Amir0x said:
They absolutely are random. If you walk around like any normal gamer does, you're going to encounter a battle every two steps. Most people do not hug walls. And if you DO hug walls, it doesn't suddenly mean the game doesn't have random battles. It's like saying that wearing a moogle charm in FFVI means that game doesn't really have random battles. Just because there is one bizarre method of avoiding them, does not mean the game lacks random battles.

Random battles means that a battle is triggered randomly, ie there's some random number generator that goes off and goes "Hey it's battle time"

Crisis core isn't that. Battles are proximity triggered. You can run in circles in an area forever and not trigger a battle. Soon as you walk into one of the enemy areas a battle starts, then you can walk right out and right back in and trigger it again. Hugging walls lets you avoid these trigger areas for the most part.

By definition that isn't random... I don't see how you can argue that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so what the hell does 'high emotions have affected the DMW' mean?

Ferrio said:
Random battles means that a battle is triggered randomly, ie there's some random number generator that goes off and goes "Hey it's battle time"

Crisis core isn't that. Battles are proximity triggered. You can run in circles in an area forever and not trigger a battle. Soon as you walk into one of the enemy areas a battle starts, then you can walk right out and right back in and trigger it again. Hugging walls lets you avoid these trigger areas for the most part.

By definition that isn't random... I don't see how you can argue that.

This is absolutely correct! Word. The proximities are pretty fair as well, usually quite a bit more than two steps, and sometimes you can run for a while before you hit one. In any case, you can sort of guess when a random battle's gonna occur because it'll happen in the wider spaces or a new room. I'm finding the encounter rate in FFVII to be a lot higher, and that is truly a random battle system.

Ferrio

Banned
mattiewheels said:
so what the hell does 'high emotions have affected the DMW' mean?

There's a meter above the DMW that looks cosine wave or whatever. It has various levels, the higher the level the more likely the DMW will trigger. The heighten emotions just means the there's a more likely chance it'll trigger.

Also the Lucky Stars limit break will greatly increase the DMW chances to trigger.

Mejilan

whiterabbit said:
Don't play it if you think it's stupid and utterly pointless. Maybe you don't like the graphics, the story, the characters, or the world? Also... it has quite a bit in common with Tales (of Symphonia at least, the only one I've played). Mainly the combat system. You've got an attack button, a block, and a couple of slots for special spells and attacks, just like Tales. Plus you can use items. It has more in common with tales than it does FFVII from a gameplay standpoint. Except for Tales has puzzles, but Crisis Core has better VA and plot.

Wrong. That's like saying that Streets of Rage and Street Fighter have the same fighting mechanics simply because both allow you to move your character with a d-pad and issue commands with various face buttons! :lol

Even a shallow analysis of CC's and ToS' respective combat systems shows how vastly different they are. See Amir0x's post for just some of the details.

Amir0x said:
Their combat system is NOTHING alike. Even though I didn't like Tales of Symphonia, it's battle system was just incalculably superior to the one in Crisis Core. You could, if you like, form a coherent strategy that was formulated around skill, rather than the arbitrary nature of a probability based slot machine.

And YES, leveling is random. There are things you can do to stack the odds - much like the more coins you put in a slot machine, the higher chance you have of winning - but it's still RANDOM. When it's going to occur is up in the air. The more you fight and the more exp you get, the more likely you are to finally hit that level up. But when you do so is still random. it's decided by a fucking slot machine that may decide to be a dick to you when you least want it. RANDOM.

To say the combat systems are nothing alike is simply false. There really are quite a few similarities to Tales, I dunno why you would deny it. But I found Tales to be just as actiony and actually easier than Crisis Core, besides, since you couldn't rely on your computer-controlled teammates for heals, you need to really be on your toes in Crisis Core.. You really can't depend on the DMW, and you don't need to.

And still, the way you described the leveling system is not random exactly. Rolling a dice or flipping a coin is random because it always has the same probability. But if you're probability is increasing, it's not completely random, ya know? You shouldn't have a problem leveling up at all, it's not like it's terribly infrequent. As long as you're not hugging the walls like an autistic person or whatever tasteful analogy you used, you should level up pretty regularly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just beat the game today. A few things.

I liked the ending, it needed more closure though. I wanted to see more with Cissnei and the Turks hunt for Cloud/Zack. Also the big battle with Genesis in his ultimate form was long and semi-challenging. The annoying part was the battle that followed after that winded first one.

As for the ending, to elaborate more.....

I felt he died the wrong way. If this was somehow portrayed in FF7 as his true death then I am surprised. Bare in mind I haven't played FF7 in ages so I'm a little scant on details. The actual last battles were not really set up for you to lose, this kind of took away from the whole big final battle vibe. It was sad how he dies though.

Finally, can someone fill in some details from the FF7 plot for me without spoiling the whole. Here are my issues...

I haven't played it in a while but I recall Zack getting stabbed by Sephiroth. In this game he dies a rather harsh death. Is this discussed in FF7 or is it just assumed he dies in Nebelheim? Even though he obviously doesn't.

All in all I really like the game and will now proceed to replay FF7. I give it a B+.

Ferrio

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I haven't played it in a while but I recall Zack getting stabbed by Sephiroth. In this game he dies a rather harsh death. Is this discussed in FF7 or is it just assumed he dies in Nebelheim? Even though he obviously doesn't.

Nope, in FF7 he dies the same way as shown in CC. He and cloud escape Nebelheim, take a truck to midgar, get shot at and Zack dies defending cloud.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Just beat the game today. A few things.

I liked the ending, it needed more closure though. I wanted to see more with Cissnei and the Turks hunt for Cloud/Zack. Also the big battle with Genesis in his ultimate form was long and semi-challenging. The annoying part was the battle that followed after that winded first one.

As for the ending, to elaborate more.....

I felt he died the wrong way. If this was somehow portrayed in FF7 as his true death then I am surprised. Bare in mind I haven't played FF7 in ages so I'm a little scant on details. The actual last battles were not really set up for you to lose, this kind of took away from the whole big final battle vibe. It was sad how he dies though.

Finally, can someone fill in some details from the FF7 plot for me without spoiling the whole. Here are my issues...

All in all I really like the game and will now proceed to replay FF7. I give it a B+.

Zack dies in FF7 pretty much the same way he does in FF7:CC, just in a less blocky and more dramatic way

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks to both of you for clarifying, it has been a while. Another play through is now needed to re-freshen my memory.

By any chance, is there any video of the original FF7 scene on youtube?

Ferrio

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks to both of you for clarifying, it has been a while. Another play through is now needed to re-freshen my memory.

By any chance, is there any video of the original FF7 scene on youtube?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=__qhOTnFwUY&feature=related

MechaX

Oh Lord, where's the 'Bail Out' button? With the way Amir0x is making it seem, I should be scum of the Earth simply for liking most of the stuff that Crisis Core did. Oh well, I'll go back to my "repetitive missions".

16 hours in at
Junon

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Amir0x said:
They absolutely are random. If you walk around like any normal gamer does, you're going to encounter a battle every two steps. Most people do not hug walls. And if you DO hug walls, it doesn't suddenly mean the game doesn't have random battles. It's like saying that wearing a moogle charm in FFVI means that game doesn'treally have random battles. Just because there is one bizarre method of avoiding them, does not mean the game lacks random battles.

Ferrio has already responded to this, but Amirox's comment makes me question either how much time he has actually put into this game or whether he has played it with any sincerity. If you couldn't tell that the battles aren't randomly triggered but are instead localized to specific areas... well, you're probably not paying much attention to the game. And that's the attitude you would have if you go into a game determined to hate it. Amirox reminds me of a messageboard poster who buys a console just so that he can trash it and nobody can claim he's biased because he actually owns it.

Not that I actually give two farts about what Amirox thinks about the game, but I'm just saying.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm loving this game so much, but I think I may have over-grinded a bit. I three-shotted
Genesis in the encounter after the first stealth part
. I was nervous going into that fight too!

jjasper

MechaX said:
Oh Lord, where's the 'Bail Out' button? With the way Amir0x is making it seem, I should be scum of the Earth simply for liking most of the stuff that Crisis Core did. Oh well, I'll go back to my "repetitive missions".

16 hours in at
Junon

I am not a big fan of the missions but I am enjoying everything else.

Top Bottom