• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

Barrett2

bathala said:
so in order to avoid battles all u need to do is Wall Hug.

I just go straight to the mission's target

This really gets necessary as you progress through lots of missions. I hate it when during a random encounter I get slightly disoriented with my character, and as soon as the battle ends I walk back into the same encounter again.

bathala

Banned
lawblob said:
This really gets necessary as you progress through lots of missions. I hate it when during a random encounter I get slightly disoriented with my character, and as soon as the battle ends I walk back into the same encounter again.
at first i thought they were scripted once u trigger an area and initiate the battle that's it, but sometimes walking few steps and back another battle.

I'm glad that lvl is based around slot and fighting stronger enemies. So i don't need to grind

I also don't understand leveling up.

Does it happen entirely by chance? Because it seems to only happen when the DMW appears. If so, that's kinda lame. :/

Ferrio

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I also don't understand leveling up.

Does it happen entirely by chance? Because it seems to only happen when the DMW appears. If so, that's kinda lame. :/

I'ts not truely random. More like exp based with a small bit of randomness. The DMW makes it appear as though it's completely random though.

Blitzzz

I just started the game and am about 1-2 hrs in
finished the wutai part with ifrit

I have similar feelings to many other posters already... missions are very redundant...
unlocked a handful after wutai and TWO of them are fighting ifrit again!?

I have no idea how the DMW works and upsets the battle pacing quite a bit. The battle start and stop messages are pretty annoying as well.

The towns are pretty boring as well. The environments are too big with too few people... hopefully later areas are more populated.

The only thing going for it right now is the main storyline... I actually want to see what happens.

Everytime I play this game I picture how awesome a FF7 remake would be...

Amon37

bathala said:
so in order to avoid battles all u need to do is Wall Hug.

I just go straight to the mission's target

I use this if I want to tackle very hard missions otherwise I fight since the level up's require experience and it's not all random.

boco77

Banned
Does the story get any better? Its so confusing and makes no sense. Who is Angeal or Genesis? and why did Angeal do what he did at the village by the beach. I'm not too far but no spoilers please. Just wish the story was told better because at the moment all i'm doing is going to one mission from the last following orders. When I play the game, I dont really know why im at this place or that or fighting one thing or another.
Also how do i make black text and borders so i can avoid writing spoilers without highligting.

TheExodu5

Banned
boco77 said:
Does the story get any better? Its so confusing and makes no sense. Who is Angeal or Genesis? and why did Angeal do what he did at the village by the beach. I'm not too far but no spoilers please. Just wish the story was told better because at the moment all i'm doing is going to one mission from the last following orders. When I play the game, I dont really know why im at this place or that or fighting one thing or another.
Also how do i make black text and borders so i can avoid writing spoilers without highligting.

Have you played FF7, and do you understand the story properly? It doesn't help answer a lot of the questions you have, but it certainly helps to know what's going on sometimes.

I finished it 3 nights ago. ONE OF THE BEST GAMES THIS GEN. PERIOD.

I was blown away. I used to be a huge FF7 hater and thought it was the most overhyped game in history with FF8/9 trouncing it in every regard. But knowing Zacks fate and playing the game as him...all the small moments especially when Angeal saved him in Wutai and mentioned how he was just a little bit more important than his sword. The ingame DMW cutscenes, music...it was so powerful. I do think though that if FF8 and FF9 were fleshed out story wise they'd be just as good.

And the ending battle with the DMW segments were heart wrenching! But oh man do I hate Shinra though now! The price of freedom...:((( I loved that song before I even played the game. One of my favourites now.

Cloud is seriously a useless guy, couldn't ever save anyone or exact proper revenge.

Jimmy Stav said:
EXP? Huh? I've never seen any indication of that.

I find it unfucking believable that 25 pages in and not one person can accurately describe how the DMW works.

Excellent game design Square, just excellent.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jimmy Stav said:
EXP? Huh? I've never seen any indication of that.

The experience system in this game is very traditional FF, for the most part.

It's also completely invisible. So no, you won't see it. But it's there.

Amir0x

Banned
Superblatt said:
I find it unfucking believable that 25 pages in and not one person can accurately describe how the DMW works.

It's fucking retarded probability based system. According to gamefaqs, it's more likely to level you up the further you are from the unlocked maximum level. Once you hit the exp needed for a specific level, the further you are from the unlocked maximum level the greater chance of actually leveling up. Why the fuck, if someone has earned enough exp, does the game not automatically reward that person for hitting it? It's all "no, maybe we'll reward you now. Maybe we'll reward you later. WHO KNOWS! It's a mystery!"

THIS IS SO DUMB IT HAS NO GODDAMN REASON TO EXIST. IT IS ARBITRARY AND STUPID. What idiotic game design! This game is overflowing with idiotic game design.

The truth of Crisis Core lies somewhere between CrushDance and Amir0x :lol

I used to really like your posts Amir0x, but somewhere along the line you have become overly bitter about games that don't click with you. I am NOT defending how great Crisis Core is (because I don't think it is), but you were biased against it before you even played, and seem to have looked as negatively at each part of the game as you could. You are like Drinky without the humorous social commentary :D

Amir0x

Banned
Look if I went into this game with pre-bias, it is not my fault. It is the fault of being suckered into buying two FFVII compilation products - Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus - and having them both suck miserably.

But that's beside the point. I know there was a lot of build up for this product for all arenas, and I have stayed from this thread because I have REALLY hated this game (even more than I feared I might) and I don't see the need to shit on it for pages since people here want to enjoy the product.

This specific bit of horrible game design needed highlighting, however.

Mejilan

The DMW system is pretty stupid, though. Limit breaks were damn fine as they were before. As were the Exp and AP systems. The changes to those systems feel like arbitrarily applied gimmicks. I don't necessarily dislike the concept of the DMW. In particular, I dig how more and more layers to it are introduced as you meet new characters or attain special items, but it's inherently random qualities bleed a lot of the satisfaction out of it.

It feels like something of a missed opportunity because though you do have direct control over your basic attacks and spells, too much control over the uber attacks is taken right out of your hands. Nothing more frustrating than the game unleashing a summon or limit break unnecessarily on a foe that's a breath's away from keeling over.

It all could have been handled better, IMHO. Hell, even the ability to defer (or outright cancel) some of the aftereffects of a shoddily-timed DMW modulation wave would have helped. Give me back those seconds of time and SPs that would otherwise have been completely wasted.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I am loving this game all over again with the American version. I do not know why I bought LO when Crisis core is already the best RPG out right now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neojubei said:
I am loving this game all over again with the American version. I do not know why I bought LO when Crisis core is already the best RPG out right now.

Indeed. I'm glad I double dipped on this one.

Ronok

Superblatt said:

...Is it really that important that you know exactly how it works? I mean it's a fucking slot machine, it's MEANT to appear random. o.o Obviously there is some degree of control to it otherwise it would be possible although unlikely that you would never level anything. I don't see how it's poor game design to keep this hidden from the player though. If they wanted it to be readily known exactly how it works then you wouldn't be asking the question.

So yeah, I've been trying to grind for the past 10 or so missions and still haven't leveled up (Oh, how I love you DMW!) so I can finally beat the
three different colored robots that attack when you're chasing Hollander
and I'm really getting bored. Maybe playing on Hard wasn't the ideal choice for this type of game (multiple enemies + barely any control over your character because of auto run + no lock on + fucking machine guns that keep you still = ): ). I'm going to put it down for a while and just go back to some other game so it doesn't feel like a chore. The RPG parts of it are random, and the action parts of it are clunky. I really wanted to like this game, but with things like that, it's getting very hard to.

Mejilan said:
The DMW system is pretty stupid, though. Limit breaks were damn fine as they were before. As were the Exp and AP systems. The changes to those systems feel like arbitrarily applied gimmicks. I don't necessarily dislike the concept of the DMW. In particular, I dig how more and more layers to it are introduced as you meet new characters or attain special items, but it's inherently random qualities bleed a lot of the satisfaction out of it.

It feels like something of a missed opportunity because though you do have direct control over your basic attacks and spells, too much control over the uber attacks is taken right out of your hands. Nothing more frustrating than the game unleashing a summon or limit break unnecessarily on a foe that's a breath's away from keeling over.

It all could have been handled better, IMHO. Hell, even the ability to defer (or outright cancel) some of the aftereffects of a shoddily-timed DMW modulation wave would have helped. Give me back those seconds of time and SPs that would otherwise have been completely wasted.

Now THIS I completely agree with. It is almost exactly how I feel. The DMW could be a great new gameplay system if it starts out random, but you have more and more control over how it rolls as you go along (I know there is a bit of control later, but too little, too late IMO). Why make any part of leveling-up a gamble if it doesn't improve the gameplay? It doesn't harm the gameplay, IMO, but it also doesn't help it.

Of course, I feel the same way about the combat engine. Although it wasn't great, I did enjoy the KH combat system (save the crappy camera), and this COULD have been a refined version of that. Instead it feels dumbed down, and way too repetative (almost like Dynasty Warriors lite?).

The mission structure as well has GREAT potential, especially for a portable game, but instead there is a ton of mindless, somewhat slow-loading (even on a 2000), repetative mission in-between the good ones.

There are SO many missed opportunities that could have made CC a A+ game. Oh well, I will enjoy it for what it is and then go back to MH and Patapon :D

kiruyama said:
So yeah, I've been trying to grind for the past 10 or so missions and still haven't leveled up (Oh, how I love you DMW!) so I can finally beat the
three different colored robots that attack when you're chasing Hollander
and I'm really getting bored. Maybe playing on Hard wasn't the ideal choice for this type of game (multiple enemies + barely any control over your character because of auto run + no lock on + fucking machine guns that keep you still = ): ). I'm going to put it down for a while and just go back to some other game so it doesn't feel like a chore. The RPG parts of it are random, and the action parts of it are clunky. I really wanted to like this game, but with things like that, it's getting very hard to.

Run along the walls. the % of you getting into battle mode is very low :lol When you do get into a battle use Barrier. Other than that run around and hit it from the back :lol

Mejilan

btutterrow said:
Of course, I feel the same way about the combat engine. Although it wasn't great, I did enjoy the KH combat system (save the crappy camera), and this COULD have been a refined version of that. Instead it feels dumbed down, and way too repetative (almost like Dynasty Warriors lite?).

Not even. Dynasty Warriors at least affords you real time attack execution. And you have to position yourself before striking. CC automates even that (though yes, you can circle around and position yourself behind enemies for insta-crits), and feels "laggier" because it's caught halfway between FF-style ATB and Kingdom Hearts.

Mejilan said:
Not even. Dynasty Warriors at least affords you real time attack execution. And you have to position yourself before striking. CC automates even that (though yes, you can circle around and position yourself behind enemies for insta-crits), and feels "laggier" because it's caught halfway between FF-style ATB and Kingdom Hearts.

I have only played Dynasty Warriors a few times, but I can see what you are saying. I remember in DW though that your attacks have such a huge sweep that they end up hitting even without doing much aiming most of the time, and that is probably what I was thinking of. I notice the lag thing as well. I do like the idea of going behind the enemy for criticals, but you would think they would do a better job about protecting their back :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ezekial45 said:
He did toss Sephiroth into the lifestream.
Cloud is a great character...33% because he's Zack, and he's a good character when he wakes up at the end of disk 1 in FFVII.

Barrett2

Mejilan said:

It all could have been handled better, IMHO. Hell, even the ability to defer (or outright cancel) some of the aftereffects of a shoddily-timed DMW modulation

I think you hit it perfectly. While I don't mind having the 'illusion' of randomness with the DMZ system leveling my character and executing the limit attacks, it does become nonsensical when I unleash my most powerful attacks on an almost-dead weakling in a random encounter, but then in some boss battles I have been quickly killed because my DMZ didn't trigger.

Y2Kev

well for the FF8 remake they make on psp they will have to take into account these suggestions

KTallguy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
well for the FF8 remake they make on psp they will have to take into account these suggestions

Damn, I'd love a remixed version of FF8 with a system that wasn't so broken.
Like, tweak the system, update the graphics to CC level, and I'm all over that shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
btutterrow said:
The truth of Crisis Core lies somewhere between CrushDance and Amir0x :lol

I used to really like your posts Amir0x, but somewhere along the line you have become overly bitter about games that don't click with you. I am NOT defending how great Crisis Core is (because I don't think it is), but you were biased against it before you even played, and seem to have looked as negatively at each part of the game as you could. You are like Drinky without the humorous social commentary :D

:lol

But that's the magic of Amir0x.

Alex

I think I would give it about a B+ or an A-, I really enjoyed it, missions were fantastic for what they were, combat was fun and it was so nice to play an action system without having to memorize a bunch combo strings for a change.

Fun story, fun presentation, good ending, surprisingly good music, I was pretty happy.

Cloud's a pretty great character in this, but he was pretty great in VII too, although they seemed to make him a total dickhead in Advent Children

I still never understand the emo complaints for Cloud, I don't recall him ever being emo (sans AC, where he was VERY EMO). But then again, most of those calls are from FFVI fans who don't even seem to remember their own game, which is probably the biggest pack of crybabies in any RPG ever.

nitewulf

neojubei said:
I do not know why I bought LO when Crisis core is already the best RPG out right now.
because they are two different games and can be played in sequence?

errrr...some of these comments are deliberate trolls...and should be killed with fire.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Alex said:
You buy Lost Odyssey because it's a goddamn blast. I loved that game.

I bought it because my co-worker keeps saying i should and best buy have a 10 gift card with it, but i am too addicted to crisis core right now. I cannot wait for the EU edition to come out, I should pre-order it.

Right now I playing through hard mode of crisis core and probably play through again once I am through with it. This is is just so good.

Oldschool said:
Best handheld game ever.

:D

I want to agree but God of war PSP, Metal Gear ghost babel, wipeout Pulse disagree, but Crisis Core is up there with the best of them.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Superblatt said:

Like I mentioned earlier, I almost feel like the creators came up with the DMW idea for the ending first, and THEN decided how to work it out into the rest of the game. I don't hate DMW as much as some of you guys do, but I don't like it. Its use in the ending is perfection though, nobody can deny that.

Oldschool

neojubei said:
I bought it because my co-worker keeps saying i should and best buy have a 10 gift card with it, but i am too addicted to crisis core right now. I cannot wait for the EU edition to come out, I should pre-order it.

Right now I playing through hard mode of crisis core and probably play through again once I am through with it. This is is just so good.

I want to agree but God of war PSP, Metal Gear ghost babel, wipeout Pulse disagree, but Crisis Core is up there with the best of them.

I finished all these ones, but Crisis Core is still the best. :D

Y2Kev

Alex said:
I think I would give it about a B+ or an A-, I really enjoyed it, missions were fantastic for what they were, combat was fun and it was so nice to play an action system without having to memorize a bunch combo strings for a change.

Fun story, fun presentation, good ending, surprisingly good music, I was pretty happy.

Cloud's a pretty great character in this, but he was pretty great in VII too, although they seemed to make him a total dickhead in Advent Children

I still never understand the emo complaints for Cloud, I don't recall him ever being emo (sans AC, where he was VERY EMO). But then again, most of those calls are from FFVI fans who don't even seem to remember their own game, which is probably the biggest pack of crybabies in any RPG ever.

He's not emo at all except for the beginning of the game ("emo"). The only real emo stuff is him not caring about the planet at the very start of FFVII-- and you can certainly rationalize that if you want (he's still coming to, he is only following Zack's last wishes, etc.). This is the character that says, "Let's mosey!" and gets chewed out by Cid before facing the FINAL BOSS THREATENING THE PLANET WITH A GIANT METEOR.

Cloud is not emo. He never does anything approaching Celes or Terra in FFVI.

Tina

Top Bottom