• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

I just started and im about an hour or so in and im enjoying it so far. I am confused about things happening in battles, like im not leveling up at all and once in a while this slots machine pops up and im confused about what the hell that is. Zack is cool.

Ferrio

Banned
I hugged walls through the like last half of the game, and during most missions. By that time in the game I was so powerful that random encounters were just annoying and non beneficial.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This is the first game to make me sewll up with tears the music, setting, everything works. I thought it wasn't because of the English voices (the Jpn version made me cry) but with the American release it is the same.

Square you better make 2 play-arts Zack figures, the younger Zack and the older one.

jax (old)

Banned
Finished the game. Final Verdict B-

I have to say, I think the late middle act was really good
for the above mentioned cloud/zack/sephiroth/nibelheim
story intersection. However once I got past that, I thought the game fell apart a little with the actual ZACK section of the story not being that strong. The
angeal/zack
storyline was poorly done... I really didn't get why angeal
kept the form of a dog and how Lazard took on Angeals form
. Plot wise, I though the end came a bit too soon after the events in Nibelheim. Seemed like they decided, okay, we need to wrap this up now.

BIG FUCK OFF RANT ABOUT THE END
more hokey genesis spouting nonsense....
and what is possible the worst ending ever
for storyline advocacy, they had to kill zack!? but couldn't do it in a better fashion. My character would have survived that, plus say I summoned a bahamut ---- all those soldiers would have died - either way, Zack would not have died.
They needed a better out then the one we got. I didn't get emotional, it made NO sense to me and then.... ARGGHhhhh

and... also what is possibly the worst end song in a game ever. In a english version to have a sappy japanese pop song play... just reminded you that they made this game for the thousand of advent children/cgi ffvii/gackt styled fanboys. I hated the whole CGI ending. It was tremendously lame. Ruined the game for me. And ruined cloud a bit for me too

:(

tempted to score it C+. It was entirely linear and I kept hoping for the map to open up ala FFX or XII or something.

Snowden

Banned
I thought I'd watch some of the videos to assuage my need to pick up the game any time soon. It had the opposite effect.

Picking up tomorrow with a PSP slim. This one is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Ferrio

Banned
Jax said:
Finished the game. Final Verdict B-

I have to say, I think the late middle act was really good
for the above mentioned cloud/zack/sephiroth/nibelheim
story intersection. However once I got past that, I thought the game fell apart a little with the actual ZACK section of the story not being that strong. The
angeal/zack
storyline was poorly done... I really didn't get why angeal
kept the form of a dog and how Lazard took on Angeals form
. Plot wise, I though the end came a bit too soon after the events in Nibelheim. Seemed like they decided, okay, we need to wrap this up now.

Angeal was dead, the dog wasn't him... mearly a copy of him with sorta his thoughts etc in it. Lazard was turned into a copy by Angeal. Not sure exactly how it works but during the game they explained that both genesis and angeal can transfer their dna or whatever to other things.

BIG FUCK OFF RANT ABOUT THE END
more hokey genesis spouting nonsense....
and what is possible the worst ending ever
for storyline advocacy, they had to kill zack!? but couldn't do it in a better fashion. My character would have survived that, plus say I summoned a bahamut ---- all those soldiers would have died - either way, Zack would not have died.
They needed a better out then the one we got. I didn't get emotional, it made NO sense to me and then.... ARGGHhhhh

I think you're putting too much faith in the game play mechanics and not the actual character. Ya your character can take all those soldiers out in the game play... hell if you grind you can just stand there blasting them until you grow tired and just let them kill you. Regardless, just because your character could do that doesn't mean Zack could. He was a human.. a strong human but he wasn't going to be able to take on an entire army and live.

jax (old)

Banned
Ferrio said:
Angeal was dead, the dog wasn't him... mearly a copy of him with sorta his thoughts etc in it. Lazard was turned into a copy by Angeal. Not sure exactly how it works but during the game they explained that both genesis and angeal can transfer their dna or whatever to other things.

I think you're putting too much faith in the game play mechanics and not the actual character. Ya your character can take all those soldiers out in the game play... hell if you grind you can just stand there blasting them until you grow tired and just let them kill you. Regardless, just because your character could do that doesn't mean Zack could. He was a human.. a strong human but he wasn't going to be able to take on an entire army and live.

hokey
genesis kept coming back. I don't see why they had to make lazard angeal and angeal the dog thing. They definitely didn't explain why Lazard disappeared and became angeal at all.

techinally, he was a mako infused soldier... not just a strong human by any means. If he can beat a summon..... well, there. and also, he didn't have to fight. He could have run away. The whole ending was like ?! to me. It felt like they had to kill him because FFVII had someone die as well... "!!emotional resonance!!""

addedum

One thing about this game concerned me - especially considering how I'd play Mistwalker's LOST ODYSSEY in the meantime. I sure hope squareenix animators pick up on their animation/walking..posing etc. because LO was quite naturalistic and this one still had that clunkiness to it that was evident in the original PS2 FFs. I kept thinking, I hope FFXIII doesn't have this.

jiggle

Jax said:
hokey
He could have run away. The whole ending was like ?! to me. It felt like they had to kill him because FFVII had someone die as well... "!!emotional resonance!!""

He couldn't run away because of Cloud. His dream was to become a hero, and a hero wouldn't leave the weak(or a friend) behind.

They had to kill him, because he was dead in FFVII.

Man, I've been playing this non-stop this weekend. I'm really loving it, but I should have listened and played on hard mode. If you're at all inclined to grind the missions in between the story segments, play on hard otherwise the came becomes a total cakewalk (although it's still enjoyable).

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Jax said:
hokey
genesis kept coming back. I don't see why they had to make lazard angeal and angeal the dog thing. They definitely didn't explain why Lazard disappeared and became angeal at all.

techinally, he was a mako infused soldier... not just a strong human by any means. If he can beat a summon..... well, there. and also, he didn't have to fight. He could have run away. The whole ending was like ?! to me. It felt like they had to kill him because FFVII had someone die as well... "!!emotional resonance!!""

I dunno, you can make arguments like that for any game. I think you need to submit to a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. Just curious: did you have any problems with
how Sephiroth could slice the Junon cannon in half with one sword stroke but still got thrown into the Mako reactor by an impaled Cloud?

I do agree about Lazard though, I have no idea where that plot thread went.

Evander

"industry expert"
It looks like the Bush administration has been in here redacting things.

I'm on Chapter six right now. My only problem is getting annoyed by random battles when trying to get through missions, but only because I have SO MANY to get through.

Ferrio

Banned
Evander said:
It looks like the Bush administration has been in here redacting things.

I'm on Chapter six right now. My only problem is getting annoyed by random battles when trying to get through missions, but only because I have SO MANY to get through.

Hug the walls. It's possible in some areas to skip all battles in a mission except the objective. Other times you'll avoid a good 80% of them.

neojubei said:
This is the first game to make me sewll up with tears the music, setting, everything works. I thought it wasn't because of the English voices (the Jpn version made me cry) but with the American release it is the same.

Square you better make 2 play-arts Zack figures, the younger Zack and the older one.

Are you a woman?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
johnFkennedy said:
Are you a woman?
Yo'd be surprised how passionate people are abot the stories/characters in games. I don't blame anyone for crying or getting emotional over an event that has toched him/her to that level. I feel like this as the leadup to the end nears. I have a feeling MGS4 will be quite emotonal as well.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yo'd be surprised how passionate people are abot the stories/characters in games. I don't blame anyone for crying or getting emotional over an event that has toched him/her to that level. I feel like this as the leadup to the end nears. I have a feeling MGS4 will be quite emotonal as well.

Are you a woman?

Teknoman

Eh the only game that made me get a little down / made me feel happy was Lost Odyssey. Some of the events/ those stories really can pull at you. And of course Aeris death was a "what the" moment...not because no ones ever died in an FF game before, its just that it came out of nowhere. Though I cant say I actually got watery eyed though.

EDIT: Hell yeah (beat Mission 1) they remixed the FFVII version of the fanfare music! Still think that was the best version.

Ferrio said:
You go tough guy!

I'm not trying to sound macho,I just don't understand how you could get so emotionally attached to the characters in this game that you would actually shed tears.It just seems silly to me.Different strokes for different folks,I guess.

zoukka

johnFkennedy said:
I'm not trying to sound macho,I just don't understand how you could get so emotionally attached to the characters in this game that you would actually shed tears.It just seems silly to me.Different strokes for different folks,I guess.

Even though you don't care a rat's ass of the characters, do you actually mean that you can't understand how someone else does? Don't act like an idiot.

EDIT: I strongly doubt anyone is offended, but I'm sick of people who just play ignorant. I hate certain games, but I can understand why some people love 'em. It isn't hard, if you try dudes.

Teknoman

Is it just me, or is that Crisis Core calender/wallpaper for Square Enix Members just beautiful? I know its just the cover of the game, but for some reason it just seems really "clear'. You'll know what I mean if you set it for your background.

Aurelius

I hope to receive the game this week. Really looking forward to it, especially after seeing the 1UP Show last Saturday.

jax (old)

Banned
I have to say.. .the people saying they cried/teared at this must have a very high tolerance for
sappy japanese show tunes. I kept thinking how they fucked up the ending with that god awful song when a simple orchestral piece would have been much better.
At least eyes on me, for all its hokiness you could understand. :p

This tradition of ballads in FF games has to DIE

~

angeal and zack were tremendously well defined as characters. I think the cast that they worked on the most, those two, cissnei and tseng and sephiroth were all wonderfully developed. The voice acting helped too. That's the best part of CC FF.

ZeoVGM

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
I'm out of here. Sorry if I offended anyone in this thread.

Hey, you learned to press the spacebar after typing a period. Go you!

Anyway, I teared up at the end of a game ONCE.

FFX. When she runs through him. :[

Teknoman said:
Is it just me, or is that Crisis Core calender/wallpaper for Square Enix Members just beautiful? I know its just the cover of the game, but for some reason it just seems really "clear'. You'll know what I mean if you set it for your background.

Where can I get this?

ElyrionX

So, I just started this game. Awesome introduction. The music sends tingles up my spine.

Anyway, I just want to know whether there is anything gameplay wise that I should be aware of right now? Any retarded situations where I can't get an item because I opened a stupid chest 12 hours ago in the game? Or just any tips in general? I'm not a completist whore but I do like to grind a little in my RPGs and get the best equipment.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Picked this up yesterday along with my new PSP slim (original screen was damaged, long story).

I was surprised at how addicted I became to the story.

And the explosion effects, holy hell!

jjasper said:
Just wondering is the switching to the summons DMW random or is there a rule/guideline for it?

It is governed by chance as with the DMW overall (even level-ups are merely made increasingly more likely and fall into a sort of "queue of expectation" as in-battle experience is aquired), but some things can help make the odds better.

Such as a higher limit condition makes it more likely that the faces will match up left and right, which is where the summon DMW branches from.

There are also specific items that enhance the likelihood of a given summon hitting, such as
Mega Flare materia enhancing chances for Bahamut

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Uuuuuh, I can't wait any longer, I hope my PSP Slim comes in the mail tomorrow.

Based on what I gathered from this thread, I'm definitely starting the game on hard.

Unskippable scenes usually half-kills my replays, but I'm already mentally prepared to having them in this game... Good thing I love Zack since FF7.

Alaluef said:
Unskippable scenes usually half-kills my replays, but I'm already mentally prepared to having them in this game... Good thing I love Zack since FF7.

There are some cutscenes worth watching but just don't die :lol

johnFkennedy said:
No,but I have one.Which means that I most likely won't cry at the end of this game.

I dunno mate, being in cryogenic sleep and all, when you woke up, Im guessing your dig shattered from all the piss pressure exerted on not taking a good piss in 30 odd years

I don't cry at games but not crying doesnt make you a tough guy...ability, strength, intelligence...these make you tough

Amon37

So many side missions.

I think I've completed only 3 or 4 real missions, but I'm racking up all sorts of stuff on side missions. I've really getting overpowered.

Getting Firaga, Thundaga, and Blizzaga this early in with No MP Cost DMW's is making it too easy.

I absolutely LOVE Final Fantasy games, and have great memories of FFVII. In fact, I bought my PSP months ago mainly because of this game (thank goodness for other great PSP games like MHF2 and Patapon), but i just haven't been able to get into Crisis Core even after 15+ hours.

Some of the scenes are heart-wrenching (because you know how everything will turn out) in a good way, and the graphics, music and voices are great, but the gameplay is SEVERALY lacking as far as I am concerned.

-The missions seem redudant and boring, like a mediocre grind-fest with a menu.
-The graphic style is totally inconsistant.
-While Zack and Angeal are cool characters, Genesis is irritating.
-The story goes between being 'dragged out' to some very poignant moments, almost like it is two different writers with two different stories that are trying to tie their thoughts together.
-The auto lock-on makes most battles annoyingly easy, but the real game breaker is the stupid auto running. Wouldn't it have been more fun and challenging to at least need to RUN up to the enemy before attacking? I am playing on Normal, not Hard, so take that into consideration.

Despite the negatives I would recommend the game to fans of FFVII (B+), as there are some great moments, but as an action-RPG Crisis Core is mediocre at best IMO (C-).

I will play to completion, and probably try for 100%, but I am just not feeling the actual GAME under this drama.

P.S. Crisis Core does make me REALLY want a new traditional FF on PSP, even if it is a remake.

Man, how on earth do you grind for max stats in this game? SP costs get SO expensive for the better materia bonuses.

Also, what's the best final equipment setup? Genji equipment, or should the Ziedrich or Heike Soul be in there somewhere? Nothing gives me every single bonus that I want :(

Ferrio

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Do you ever get more accessory slots or a new sword? The one he has right now is a little boring.

Some missions will give you more accessory slots

as for sword

If you've played FF7 you know that the Buster Sword is his

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say, the credit music just plain rocks. Heck, the whole soundtrack is fantastic!

Did about 50% of the sidequests, totalled around 20 hours.

My lust to grind makes me hate the game's extremely shitty and monotonous missions... 60% done and I’ve not enjoyed a single one since the first time in each new environment, all for experience and collecting a cool item every 20th mission or so…

Music is awesome though, and coming back to Nibelheim was kind of cool, even though it looked way better with a ton more atmosphere back in ’97.

Don't really know what to think of it yet...

Top Bottom