• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this nonstop since I got my hands on it. Fantastic game, grinding and fusing materia makes the game so addictive. For those of you who are grinding missions, if you unlocked the missions via a NPC, be sure to talk to the NPC upon completing missions, they tend to give rewards or new missions.

Also gotta mention, make sure you DO the mission 7-2-X series. You unlock the Item fusion, which lets you bump up fusion results with certain item rewards, and you get the 2 extra equipment accessory slots.

Johnkers

I'm not even a huge FF7 or anything but I thought this game was pretty great. The ending especially,
despite obviously knowing what was going to happen to Zack, I was still wowed. Definitely one of the better game endings I've come across.

The pacing too was spot on, I almost never felt like a section was dragging on because of too many random battles (If I did it ended soon after). Music was generally good, some of it was a bit repetitive but others were much better. I think it definitely evoked the most nostalgia for me out of the game.

Almost enough to make me want to replay FF7, except that I know I'd hate it now.

I'm also surprised I enjoyed this more then God of War, amazing month for the PSP

Barrett2

Has anyone found any particularly effective Materia Fusion combinations? I just gained the ability to add an item in the fusion process, but I don't want to waste my Materia by mixing & mashing everything willy-nilly.

So far I have used the Materia Fusion to create a 'Stop Blade' attack which works quite well, unleash a Stop Blade attack to paralyze an enemy, then punish the still-active enemies with some ranged magic attacks.

lawblob said:
Has anyone found any particularly effective Materia Fusion combinations?
I fused a MP UP++ materia that I mastered with MP UP stones and another MP UP materia and and I now have +200% MP on that particular materia, plus it is no longer mastered so I can level it up some more.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jesus, started Hard mode and I can't get through the first major mission(the one in Wutai with the 'star bonuses'). I'd restart on Normal, but I fear it will be too easy. It doesn't help that the lack of cutscene skip makes me hate this game even more with every death. Another hour of fail, and I'll probably take it back to the store.

spindoc said:
Anyone clear the
1000 Shinra Troop
sidequest? They just keep on coming and coming! This better be worth it!

I did that last night. It must've taken at least 90 minutes. :lol I was disappointed with the reward since I already had one but I am happy to have done it.

Jesus, started Hard mode and I can't get through the first major mission(the one in Wutai with the 'star bonuses'). I'd restart on Normal, but I fear it will be too easy. It doesn't help that the lack of cutscene skip makes me hate this game even more with every death. Another hour of fail, and I'll probably take it back to the store.

Just play it on Normal. It's more enjoyable and it still offers a challenge especially in the side-quests.

jax (old)

Banned
Systems_id said:
Going to the Sector 5 slums really brought back the memories of FF7. It's amazing how much atmosphere Midgar had and still has. I need to track down another copy one of these days.

yes.

I agree. Playing through - currently
returned to Banora
(late in the game I think). Really liking it, the combat/fusion etc is quite fun. I've spent a lot of time doing missions - my mind is geared like that and my ZACK is quite overpowered in the main storyline. :) The characters are superbly well developed and the voice acting done really well. THE STORY IS AMAZING. I find that it adds a lot to the FFVII mythos - what really surprised me so far is:

HOW ZACK/CLOUD/SEPHIROTH's storyline coincided in that timeline at nehildediheim (sp)... where sephiroth found Jenova
AMAZING I didn't really know how it worked but when I got there and it played out, I was like really impressed with the game

but one thing I don't quite like so far however is:

the retarded poetry spouting genesis

Jax said:
yes.

I agree. Playing through - currently
returned to Banora
(late in the game I think). Really liking it, the combat/fusion etc is quite fun. I've spent a lot of time doing missions - my mind is geared like that and my ZACK is quite overpowered in the main storyline. :) The characters are superbly well developed and the voice acting done really well. THE STORY IS AMAZING. I find that it adds a lot to the FFVII mythos - what really surprised me so far is:

HOW ZACK/CLOUD/SEPHIROTH's storyline coincided in that timeline at nehildediheim (sp)... where sephiroth found Jenova
AMAZING I didn't really know how it worked but when I got there and it played out, I was like really impressed with the game

but one thing I don't quite like so far however is:

the retarded poetry spouting genesis

It is fucking awesome. I'm enjoying the game too.

anddo0

I'm loving every minute of this game so far.
I just finished the
Angeal battle, his ultimate attack kicked my ass... I felt bad for killing him..Such a sad scene standing over his body:(

Its too bad there isn't a theater mode in this game to watch cut-scenes.
I must have at least 20+ save files at key points in the game:lol

Snaku

Banned
Almost to the end. Now that I've played through it in English, I almost want to rate it higher than the original FFVII.

The pre-FFVII story and characters (Nibelheim, Zack, Aerith, non-insane Sephiroth, etc.) were always the most intriguing thing for me in FFVII, so to have an entire game dedicated to that particular part of FFVII lore is just too awesome.

The battle system is just as fun now as it was playing the import, only a little easier to manage now that I can read it. Materia Fusion and the Mission system are both very addicting.

The only thing I could possibly knock it for are unskippable cutscenes.

SnowWolf said:
Here's a site that has quite a few videos for streaming.

The video quality is seriously phenomenal

http://jaryth.net/CC/eng/video/

Yeah, the quality is damn good.

Monocle

lawblob said:
Has anyone found any particularly effective Materia Fusion combinations? I just gained the ability to add an item in the fusion process, but I don't want to waste my Materia by mixing & mashing everything willy-nilly.

So far I have used the Materia Fusion to create a 'Stop Blade' attack which works quite well, unleash a Stop Blade attack to paralyze an enemy, then punish the still-active enemies with some ranged magic attacks.

This Materia Fusion guide was a huge help to me. I'm sure you'll find it useful.

colinp

Banned
Really love the song that plays in the Church (not Aerith's theme, though that is fantastic as well...). Anyone know what it is titled on the soundtrack?

Doubledex

Banned
Systems_id said:
Going to the Sector 5 slums really brought back the memories of FF7. It's amazing how much atmosphere Midgar had and still has. I need to track down another copy one of these days.
So true! One of the reasons why: FF7 = best ever

DCX

DCX
Just played for a little bit this afternoon but man the atmosphere is pure Final Fantasy VII. It brought back so many memories! Makes me wanna play FFVII after i finish this! One question, i have a 40gb PS3 and as far as i know it only plays PSOne games, if so how do i save games? Right onto the hard drive?

DCX

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DCX said:
Just played for a little bit this afternoon but man the atmosphere is pure Final Fantasy VII. It brought back so many memories! Makes me wanna play FFVII after i finish this! One question, i have a 40gb PS3 and as far as i know it only plays PSOne games, if so how do i save games? Right onto the hard drive?

DCX

Yup, you create a virtual memory card and then save to your hearts desire.

The only think holding your back from creating as many memory cards as you want is your imagination.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Snaku said:
Almost to the end. Now that I've played through it in English, I almost want to rate it higher than the original FFVII.

The pre-FFVII story and characters (Nibelheim, Zack, Aerith, non-insane Sephiroth, etc.) were always the most intriguing thing for me in FFVII, so to have an entire game dedicated to that particular part of FFVII lore is just too awesome.

I would not rate it above FFVII, but it definitely does conveniently explain many holes in the original game.

I mean hell, in FF7 we knew that Zack
dies, but then we don't know what led up to it and how he died. We also don't know info between what happened in Nibelhiem and the start of FF7.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This game is fucking awesome. I'm only about 5 hours into it and I've only just past where Zack fights
the Bahamut that Genesis summons

But I've been doing tons of missions because, though repetitive, they're kind of addictive because the battle system is fun.

At first I felt iffy on the overall "randomness" of the battle system and leveling up. But they managed a good balance of randomness and you needing control over your character. It still takes skill and paying attention to not die in some of these fights (especially on hard, from what I've heard, but I'm on normal).

And the randomness of the leveling up has really grown on me. Whenever I get a row of 7's, I feel very happy.

And I'm liking the story so far. Zack reminds me a little of Tidus, though less annoying. I loved the scene where he kept telling Genesis
to shut up, as he was lying on the ground

And unlike Dirge, this game managed to capture the "feel" of FFVII. I got a chill when walking through the place where the opening cinema of FFVII takes place. And one of the missions took place in the slums and it looked just like it.

Love this game.

Though, does anyone have any concrete rules for the leveling up that they would like to share? (Trying not to go through the whole thread for that as I don't want to be spoiled.)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hate to destroy the illusion, but leveling Zack isn't really random. There's an experience counter and enemies have experience values. All of it is invisible, however. Kill enough baddies and surpass the required amount of experience points, and the 777 has a near 100% chance of firing in the next combat encounter. If not, then the one that follows. Etc.

There's a breakdown on the exact mathematics behind it over on Gamefaqs. It's a pretty traditional (though completely invisible) experience system that's coached up to look more random than it really is. :)

The particular faq I'm talking about has all of the breakdowns. Even the stat gains, etc., are all 100% predetermined, fixed. Basically, go out, kill baddies to accrue (invisible) experience points, and within the next few DMW spins, you'll get your level up.

Deadly

Mejilan said:
Hate to destroy the illusion, but leveling Zack isn't really random. There's an experience counter and enemies have experience values. All of it is invisible, however. Kill enough baddies and surpass the required amount of experience points, and the 777 has a near 100% chance of firing in the next combat encounter. If not, then the one that follows. Etc.

There's a breakdown on the exact mathematics behind it over on Gamefaqs. It's a pretty traditional (though completely invisible) experience system that's coached up to look more random than it really is. :)

The particular faq I'm talking about has all of the breakdowns. Even the stat gains, etc., are all 100% predetermined, fixed. Basically, go out, kill baddies to accrue (invisible) experience points, and within the next few DMW spins, you'll get your level up.

I don't get how this can work though since I got 777 TWICE in one battle. Then I died shortly afterwards and on my next try I didn't level at all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mejilan said:

Well yeah, I knew it wasn't -actually- random, but seeing as how it's invisible makes it appear random. You don't know when you'll level up unless you read a guide online.

I liked how I leveled up in 3 fights in a row during missions last night though. That was fun.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
So, I've been avoiding this topic since and I got the game. Now, I've finally beaten it. Some thoughts:

-I actually felt kinda sad when it is revealed that Zack and Cloud were in the chambers for 4 years, with Aeris sending 89 letters over that time.
-Zack's death and the final battle, with the DMW being deleted, was just amazing.
-Game needed some Cait Sith. Am I joking? Who knows.
-That Loveless stuff was just garbage. I cringed every time it was quoted.
-Zack actually turned out to be a pretty good character. I was surprised by this, for some reason.

Ferrio

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
So, I've been avoiding this topic since and I got the game. Now, I've finally beaten it. Some thoughts:

-Game needed some Cait Sith. Am I joking? Who knows.

He's in the game as a Limit Break

Mejilan

Keep in mind that I'm talking about levels for Zack, not his equipped Materia. That's separate.

As for multiple level ups, it's entirely possible to finish enemy encounters before the DMW even gets a chance to spin up much, especially in the early-game. Consequently, that's always when you need comparatively less experience to level up. If you accrue enough experience to gain multiple level ups, the game will eventually spit up multiple 777s. If you're in a comparatively longer combat encounter, they might all hit in the same battle.

There's SOME random element to the timing of the spins, but we're not talking about true slot-machine randomness.

Is there any place to rest up at Shinra HQ? I can't seem to find anything.

Also, is there any easy explanation of the DMW thing? I still don't get it. At all.

Mejilan

Right in front of the main entrance is a hostess lady person that offers you a free potion that will fully restore you. There's a save spot right near reception behind her. Great place to take care of some missions.

The tutorial emails do a decent job of explaining the DMV. As to the rest of it, just continue to let it happen, and it'll start making sense eventually.

In order to expand the DMW, you need to meet more story characters (add their portraits to your DMW) and collect Summon Materia (which aren't equipped, but get added to the DMW with summon portraits). The more portraits, the more combinations, the more combinations, the more limit break/summon possibilities.

nitewulf

oh man...the remixed ff7 battle theme sent shivers down my back. it was really fucking awesome to have that blasting and playing through that entire episode. i love this game!! i dont actually play many games anymore but this one is taking me back...its a fucking fun trip.

Mejilan

Sorry, I popped it in for a few hours this evening to get a better feel for it, but now I've put it down again in favor of finishing up FFVII, which I never actually managed to do.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mejilan said:
Right in front of the main entrance is a hostess lady person that offers you a free potion that will fully restore you. There's a save spot right near reception behind her. Great place to take care of some missions.

Haha. I thought that was completely useless. Didn't notice it healed me.

Panda

Does anything happen at 100% completion of the sidemissions? Just less than 30% to go (don't know how I would have got through some of them without brutal and magical punch). :D

Shouta

started playing this. I'm quite pleased with it so far. Hard Mode is definitely the way to go and not too hard if you're properly guarding and dodging. Always getting criticals when attacking an enemy's backside is awesome.

Mejilan

That's how I killed that stupid puppy beast in the tutorial. 4 or 5 back to back crits in exchange for one tail lash? Sure.

Barrett2

Mejilan said:
Want to avoid fights? Hug walls.

I have been employing this on a few Missions. Sometimes I get disoriented in Mission battles and forget which way to go, and end up triggering the same battles over. By the end of the missions I get so tired of random battles I usually bust out my best Solid Snake impersonation and try to sneak to the boss!

Top Bottom