• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

Panda

I found that levels have very little impact on Zack, so I don't really understand why some people are freaking out over the leveling system. That said, I don't know why levels were introduced to CC when they could have done away with them. Item-materia fusion and the insane statistic boosts on accessories far, far outweigh the little gain you get from leveling...

Honestly, I expected to hate the DMW but so far I've had no problems with it. The game really doesn't focus on leveling anyway. As Panda said, your levels have much less impact than the boosts you get from materia and accessories especially as you progress further into missions. Yeah, it's kind of gimmicky, but I don't think it detracts from the game per se.

Concept17

Y2Kev said:
He's not emo at all except for the beginning of the game ("emo"). The only real emo stuff is him not caring about the planet at the very start of FFVII-- and you can certainly rationalize that if you want (he's still coming to, he is only following Zack's last wishes, etc.). This is the character that says, "Let's mosey!" and gets chewed out by Cid before facing the FINAL BOSS THREATENING THE PLANET WITH A GIANT METEOR.

Cloud is not emo. He never does anything approaching Celes or Terra in FFVI.

Tina

I agree. (naturally, with my avatar and all)

People seem to think hes a cliche, but hes a much deeper character than most give credit to.

ZeoVGM

Banned
:lol :lol

People are so stupid. Apparently characters can't be unhappy or grumpy. That makes them "emo".

So glad that term wasn't used 10 years ago.

And as far as "cliche" goes, he wasn't when FFVII came out.

SpudBud

Got the game today, played it for six hours. I love it! Zack is a cool character and the story seems interesting. Also, It's nice revisiting some old FFVII areas.

The side missions are very addictive for some strange reason.

Monocle

The DMW hate is really puzzling. I think the system is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game because it's a novel solution to a problem suffered by virtually all RPGs that feature random battles: repetitiveness. The DMW adds a welcome element of unpredictability to otherwise mundane encounters. Dynamically modifying combat strategies based on which bonuses are rolled keeps things fresh, and limits breaks occur frequently enough that the inability to control them isn't really an issue. The Heightened Emotions modifier ensures that the DMW behaves appropriately during key battles.

Concerning the complaints about the leveling system being tied to the DMW: Too many posters seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that levels matter in this game as much as they do in most RPGs. Please note that the key to kicking ass in Crisis Core lies almost exclusively in the Materia Fusion system, which is complemented by accessories. By the way, click here if you want some insight into the invisible EXP system that governs leveling up--it isn't exactly random.

To the people bitching about the ease of Crisis Core, there are a number of solutions if you're willing to bother yourselves to take advantage of the tools the game offers you:

1. Play on Hard. (Obviously.)

2. Equip a Cursed Ring. This accessory disables the DMW, and with it limit breaks, status bonuses, level-ups. You can get one for free as early as Chapter 2 by
checking the locker next to Kunsel twenty times

3. Keep materia/accessory use to a minimum.

4. Don't expect to beat a ton of side missions without gaining powerful items and ample experience--only 1-1-1, the first tutorial mission, is mandatory. If you want a challenge you need to be willing to forgo certain rewards. It's up to you to manage Zack in a way that suits your desired playing experience.

Ferrio

Banned
Lucky Stars Materia rocks.

That said, people are way too upset at the DMW. Think of it as an added bonus and nothing you should rely on. Use materia fusions, equip good accessories (I had as many +10 str items on me the whole game... speeds up battles).

zoukka

I can't even count the times I have had to explain to people that Cloud isn't "emo" or anything even remotely that way. I guess it's a FF main-meme more than FFVII-meme.

Easily my favourite FF-main character. He's just so phased out and sometimes he feels like a complete weirdo :lol

Of course AC did everything in it's power to kill Cloud :/ I hope CC doesn't back it up.

Ferrio

Banned
I didn't think his character in AC was bad. He was upset with himself because he didn't think he fulfilled Zack's wishes. The interaction between them in CC is a nice insight.

jax (old)

Banned
badcrumble said:
Gotta say guys, the video after the end credits certainly got me thinking. And Believing.

I just chuckled at the video but it was very clever how they seguewayed from the ending to what we saw. I did think some of the CGI work that they reused from FFVII advent children were also really well implement. This is one amazing looking psp title.

I think they sort of nailed cloud's character... a bit. But looking at a gackt faced teenager as Cloud takes a lot of getting use to and still does. They love their womanly men :( Angeal was really nice and they need more men like that in the FF games.

I'm done with the game and moved on to Puzzle Quest (AMAZING GAME) but I wonder which of the summons I missed. :(

DMV summons I got

cactus/caith sith/tonberry/bahamut/ifrit/odin

so I'm guessing I missed chocobo /moogles / shiva? - wondered what the funny bird like summon was

Just finished it.

Holy cow, what an ending. a real tearjerker :lol

Loved the game through and through. It's solid battle system, mixed with fantastic visuals and a damn fine score coupled with perfect handheld gameplay.. boy oh boy.

I'll never let Cloud date Aerith again. She's Zacks baby :(

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone explain Lazard's storyline? He seems to be really irrelevant to the events of CC.

Also,
What's the significance of Loveless? Is it some sort of prophetic telling of the events of CC and FF7? I'll admit that I couldn't make any sense of Genesis's ramblings. At first he was trying to prevent his genetic degradation, but after the time jump 4 years later, he was going on about returning to the lifestream, and Minerva(lifestream goddess?) denied him that. Then Genesis quotes that the hero will make his comeback... Is he talking about himself? Cloud? English please!

Ferrio

Banned
spindoc said:
Can anyone explain Lazard's storyline? He seems to be really irrelevant to the events of CC.

Also,
What's the significance of Loveless? Is it some sort of prophetic telling of the events of CC and FF7? I'll admit that I couldn't make any sense of Genesis's ramblings. At first he was trying to prevent his genetic degradation, but after the time jump 4 years later, he was going on about returning to the lifestream, and Minerva(lifestream goddess?) denied him that. Then Genesis quotes that the hero will make his comeback... Is he talking about himself? Cloud? English please!

Lezard, I"m not quite sure... might have to replay it. He wanted revenge against the Hollander, and had turned into an angeal clone. Other than that.... *shrugs*

Loveless was just horrible. Making up a play just to make allusions to is retarded. If they had taken it from a real literary work that would of been something... but it's not clever if you make up a story to compare it to another made up story.

Regardless, as the comeback he meant himself. And he does at the end of Dirge.

InsertCredit said:
Just finished it.

I'll never let Cloud date Aerith again. She's Zacks baby :(

Damn straight.

zack.jpg

Though..

I believe in an Ultimania it was said that Aerith had stronger feeling for Cloud

It is said that Aerith found her feelings toward him more sisterly than romantic. The original game, Advent Children, and, especially, the side-story, Hoshi wo Meguru Otome from the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Ω Guide all show that Aerith's feelings for Cloud were stronger than her feelings for Zack. [9]

spindoc said:
Lazard is the director of SOLDIER, the illegitimate son of President Shinra, and Rufus Shinra's half brother. He's apparantly not particularily skilled at his job, and it's implied that his connection with the old man was the reason behind his rapid promotions, likely to keep the truth about his conception a secret. He was hoping to become Vice President, but when the position went to Rufus, he started funding Hollander's bid for revenge against the Shinra company. Like many of the other characters, according to official company records (and coverups), he was killed in action. The truth is he lived on, and ended up helping Zack and Cloud in the end.

Also,
What's the significance of Loveless?
Loveless is an epic poem of unknown origins, perhaps dating back as far as to the time of the Ancients. It's missing the final act, and so the meaning of the story has been debated by scholars for quite some time, and many people have their own theories and conclusions. Hojo even researced it for some time, but in the end believed it was nonsense with no factual basis. The greatest question regarding the poem is what the Gift of the Goddess is.

One of Genesis' hobbies is researching the poem, and he becomes fairly obsessed with the concept of the Gift of the Goddess, to the extent that during the course of the game, he tries to recreate the events of the poem in order to figure out what it means.

In the end, it's revealed that there is some factual basis to the tale, and the Goddess is a real entity, known as Minerva, which is similar to a summoned creature, in some regards. Minerva is the collective will of the Lifestream, so to speak. When Genesis is defeated by Zack in the Lifestream-flooded caverns beneath Banora, he essentially comes to his senses and regains his pride as a SOLDIER, coming to the conclusion that his true interpretation of the "Gift of the Goddess" is the ability to carry out his duty.

Therefore, his strong drive to overcome degeneration, and the innevitable death it will lead to, summons Minerva to him. Minerva judges him, and the will of the lifestream is that he has much left to do, and cures his degeneration, allowing him to surmount death and carry out his duty.

Genesis eventually decides that, with Angeal and Sephiroth dead, he is the only one left to protect the Planet, so he seals himself in a cavern beneath Midgar to await for a crisis to threaten the world and awaken him. So, in a bit of a twist, his seemingly forboding appearance at the end of Dirge of Cerberus should be reinterpreted, as he's actually emerging to protect the Planet, whatever that entails.

I'd suggest checking out the translations at http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/, especially the CC Scenario Q&A and CC Complete Guide Goddess information.

Loveless was just horrible. Making up a play just to make allusions to is retarded.
Loveless was in the original FFVII, and I rather liked them expanding on it in Crisis Core and tying it into the plot.

WtW Suzaku said:
Loveless
is an epic poem of unknown origins, perhaps dating back as far as to the time of the Ancients. It's missing the final act, and so the meaning of the story has been debated by scholars for quite some time, and many people have their own theories and conclusions. Hojo even researced it for some time, but in the end believed it was nonsense with no factual basis. The greatest question regarding the poem is what the Gift of the Goddess is.

One of Genesis' hobbies is researching the poem, and he becomes fairly obsessed with the concept of the Gift of the Goddess, to the extent that during the course of the game, he tries to recreate the events of the poem in order to figure out what it means.

In the end, it's revealed that there is some factual basis to the tale, and the Goddess is a real entity, known as Minerva, which is similar to a summoned creature, in some regards. Minerva is the collective will of the Lifestream, so to speak. When Genesis is defeated by Zack in the Lifestream-flooded caverns beneath Banora, he essentially comes to his senses and regains his pride as a SOLDIER, coming to the conclusion that his true interpretation of the "Gift of the Goddess" is the ability to carry out his duty.

Therefore, his strong drive to overcome degeneration, and the innevitable death it will lead to, summons Minerva to him. Minerva judges him, and the will of the lifestream is that he has much left to do, and cures his degeneration, allowing him to surmount death and carry out his duty.

Genesis eventually decides that, with Angeal and Sephiroth dead, he is the only one left to protect the Planet, so he seals himself in a cavern beneath Midgar to await for a crisis to threaten the world and awaken him. So, in a bit of a twist, his seemingly forboding appearance at the end of Dirge of Cerberus should be reinterpreted, as he's actually emerging to protect the Planet, whatever that entails.

I'd suggest checking out the translations at http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/, especially the CC Scenario Q&A and CC Complete Guide Goddess information.

Loveless was in the original FFVII, and I rather liked them expanding on it in Crisis Core and tying it into the plot.

MyBloodyValentineLoveless.jpg

I haven't listened to it in a while, but I will again after I finish Crisis Core to see if there are any parallels.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just finished
Junon - hollander escape with 2 genesis copy flying

How far am i? 50%?

clock tell me 10hours , and im level 27 or 28

WtW Suzaku said:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I saw a scene at the end of the game where
Shinra people who are pretty clearly supposed to be a part of Deep Ground or something come and pick him up
. Also
he seemed pretty fucking sinister in Dirge of Cerberus
to me. I think something pretty significant changed in the time between games.

really liking the game so far. falling into the trap of doing too many mission and making the main story easy.

i guess that alright though because i want to beat the super boss.

im starting to like zack more than cloud although he'll never appear in another SE game. (unless he is in birth by sleep or a secret character in dissidia).

TheExodu5

Banned
Havin a lot of fun with this game. I'm in
Junon
now.

Sadly, I think I know how this one's gonna end :(. FF7 kind of ruins the ending =\.
Though, I guess the journey might be more emotional because I know what will happen.

spindoc said:
Thank you, exactly what I needed.

edit: What is this website? Is this an interpretation, or is there some sort of official source?
The website is a project currently undertaken by the staff of the Compilation Network. All of the stuff on the website is translated from from official Square-Enix Ultimania mooks, or the newer Crisis Core Complete Guide.

Final Fantasy VII -10th Anniversary- Ultimania
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Ultimania
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- The Complete Guide

badcrumble said:
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I saw a scene at the end of the game where
Shinra people who are pretty clearly supposed to be a part of Deep Ground or something come and pick him up
. Also
he seemed pretty fucking sinister in Dirge of Cerberus
to me. I think something pretty significant changed in the time between games.
Yes, I'm sure.
The two Deep Ground SOLDIERs who pick him up are Weiss and Nero, and are credited as such. They wonder if he will join him, though the Crisis Core Ultimania's Scenario Q&A states that Genesis declines to join them, and, in order to protect the Planet, seals himself in a flooded chamber beneath Midgar to prepare for some unknown future crisis.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Picked up the game yesterday, I'm about 2 hours in and I've fallen into doing the first glut of missions you get to do. They just keep unlocking, I can't help myself! :lol I'm liking the game so far, but I'll be damned if the PSP doesn't give me eyestrain something fierce. I guess I'll break out the component cable.

Ronok

Can someone please tell me if the amount of affection you get from Aerith changes the game at all? Also can someone tell me if there is somewhere I can find out exactly what she says for each responce?

As much as I wanted to wait for the EU LE version, I broke down and ordered the US version. Should be here any day now... Still going to get the LE version but only once I complete and resell the US copy first.

Barrett2

Evonus said:
Picked up the game yesterday. I love the music.

The music is astounding; it's one of the best parts of the game. This is the first time a hand held game's music has stuck in my head like this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just started playing this, not even out of Wutai yet... the presentation is absolutely INCREDIBLE, it's by far the best looking game on the platform, and the music is great, too. But I can't get into the battle system, seems way too button-mashy and repetitive :( And the DMW system just seems annoying and an afterthought. Why couldn't they have just given us level ups the old fashioned way?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Has anyone noticed how robotic the battle start / end voice is if you listen through your PSP speakers? When I use video out its definitely a normal speaking voice. Weird.

dammitmattt said:
MyBloodyValentineLoveless.jpg

I haven't listened to it in a while, but I will again after I finish Crisis Core to see if there are any parallels.

Yes! My Bloody Valentine is awesome. I think the Loveless album is just coincidence. Sweet album though.

Ronok

Is there any way to get summons more? I've not been able to see a summon sinse I beat
Bahamut.
I'm now on chapter 6....

Ronok said:
Is there any way to get summons more? I've not been able to see a summon sinse I beat
Bahamut.
I'm now on chapter 6....
IDK. I just managed to use
Ifrit
only once so far in the game :lol Such a waste too. the cutscene looks gorgeous.

Ronok said:
Bahamut.
I'm now on chapter 6....

Its purely anecdotal but I did tend to get more summon dmw's as I unlocked more summons. I'm not sure if having more unlocked summons raises the probability of the dmw wheel landing on one (or if they are separately determined).

Ronok

greatestjediever said:
Its purely anecdotal but I did tend to get more summon dmw's as I unlocked more summons. I'm not sure if having more unlocked summons raises the probability of the dmw wheel landing on one (or if they are separately determined).

I got
Ifrit
like 5 times before I got my next summon.... Sinse then nothing. lol

I am still at the start of the game and pretty much have just been doing missions for 2 hours.

My main problem so far is how large they make the enemies hp. I could swing for 20 seconds straight and do 1500+ critical damage to an enemy and I still would need to keep swinging. Also, fuck random battles. In the mission I was just playing now, I finished one battle only to turn around and run into another random battle. I didnt even walk, all he did was turn from one direction to the other, such bullshit. What pisses me off is that they have enemies that stand in the overworld, so why couldent they just have several of those instead of random? I mean, grinding also sucks considering things seem random for leveling up.

So far I am kind of enjoying it, but I havent really done more other than the missions, so maybe im just getting rid of the boring parts early on.

jiggle

Pt2 Tabata interview up on SE page

Q.
CRISIS CORE ends with the words “To be continued.”
Is the Compilation of FINAL FANTASY VII complete, or are there more projects in the works?

Tabata:
The “To be continued” at the end means that
the story of CRISIS CORE will continue in FINAL FANTASY VII. At the same time, it does not signify the end of the FINAL FANTASY VII saga.

Q. Given the amount of success that the FINAL FANTASY VII franchise has attained, what is the likelihood of another FINAL FANTASY VII-related movie to be produced?

Tabata: I would not discount the possibility.

I just met
Cloud
. I love this game.

Linkzg said:
Also, fuck random battles. In the mission I was just playing now, I finished one battle only to turn around and run into another random battle. I didnt even walk, all he did was turn from one direction to the other, such bullshit.
The battles aren't random rather they are triggered in the more open areas. If you want to avoid most of the battles hug the walls.

toneroni

i played for like 2 hours on normal and it was too easy. Now im replaying it on hard and died a few times in
wutai
. so annoying! Does it balance out, normal is too easy and hard can be frustrating.

Barrett2

What Materia combos are people using?

I am having a lot of success using Dark Firaga - Mastered, it seems to work extremely well. I haven't found any ____ blade combos to work well enough to justify using them, most of them are too slow to execute when compared to just whacking away at enemies with normal attack.

toneroni said:
i played for like 2 hours on normal and it was too easy. Now im replaying it on hard and died a few times in
wutai
. so annoying! Does it balance out, normal is too easy and hard can be frustrating.
Your Materia tend to level up more on Hard, so it balances out somewhat as you continue on in the game, especially since it means you can SP-convert to make yourself overpowered that much more easily.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
What Materia combos are people using?

I am having a lot of success using Dark Firaga - Mastered, it seems to work extremely well. I haven't found any ____ blade combos to work well enough to justify using them, most of them are too slow to execute when compared to just whacking away at enemies with normal attack.

Fuse your Dark Firaga with any DMW materia (you can buy them from the QMC+ store) and you'll get Hell Firaga.

I also found the Mug materia to be very useful, essential for anyone who wants to do some serious materia fusing.

Top Bottom