• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB The Drenched Forests of Canada

I prefer my circuit racers as sims... my arcade racers as open world.

Fair enough. I mostly prefer my arcade racers to be circuit racers. I'm not against open world arcade racers, but I feel arcade racers benefit more from being being circuit racers as it offers more in terms of variety.

nib95

Banned
So where in Canada is this track based in? It looks like British Colombia.

Definitely somewhere around there. In-fact, I think I found a spot that looks very similar to the area in the track. It's part of the trek from Vavenby to Valemount.
day8-hwy5a.jpg

qmzfuo.gif

Some more shots.

http://tourpacific2011.wordpress.com/page/2/

TheCloser

Banned
I prefer my circuit racers as sims... my arcade racers as open world.

I honestly dislike open world racers in general. I find them to be completely pointless. If all you can do in an open world racer is race then it defeats the point of being open world. Open world to me signifies complete freedom in the game so an open world isn't really open world per say. The only thing you can do is drive so i think they should come up with a better term.

Bloodrage

Banned
I honestly dislike open world racers in general. I find them to be completely pointless. If all you can do in an open world racer is race then it defeats the point of being open world. Open world to me signifies complete freedom in the game so an open world isn't really open world per say. The only thing you can do is drive so i think they should come up with a better term.
I agree with this.

I agree. I remember when I was so excited for Burnout Paradise for its open world but after playing it for a week I got bored and went back to Burnout Revenge.

I'd say the only time I actually enjoyed open world racers is if there were police chases (I loved NFS:Most Wanted).

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I hope there are mini-games like gran turismo coffee breaks

Caayn

Why? I like point-to-point and track/circuit racing. PGR4 is my favorite racer of all time, DC looks to be my jam in every way.

The open-world racers I played like TDU and Burnout Paradise completely failed to interest me.
Never played Horizon though, sadly. But spending 100% of the game in southern france in H2 would probably bore me rather quick.
Whoops, accidentally skipped that part. My bad.

orochi91

Nah, give me some deep south DLC.

Driving through mud tracks, surrounded by foliage in the dead of night would be incredible.

There's very little that's exotic or unique about driving in the Deep South (assuming
you're talking about USA deep south), especially in comparison to Atlantic Road.

Cmon Rushy. Atlantic Road. DLC. Take some liberties and change the layout if you want.

Just do it.

That looks both absolutely amazing and extremely frightening.

Nah, give me some deep south DLC.

Driving through mud tracks, surrounded by foliage in the dead of night would be incredible.

Now when you say "deep south" where are you talking about (because I know you're British)? Because if you're talking about America, there is little that is interesting here outside of maybe Florida. The landscapes only start to get interesting when you get into the Appalachian mountains throughout Tennessee, North/South Carolina, and Virginia, but I wouldn't count any of those areas as "Deep south." Now if you were referring to somewhere in the UK or Europe ignore this.

Yeah, well-designed tracks should trump everything. I loved Burnout Paradise, but all I ever wanted from it was a point-to-point race on a track made with a designer's eye.

There's very little that's exotic or unique about driving in the Deep South (assuming
you're talking about USA deep south), especially in comparison to Atlantic Road.

Now when you say "deep south" where are you talking about? Because if you're talking about America, there is little that is interesting here outside of maybe Florida. The landscapes only start to get interesting when you get into the Appalachian mountains throughout Tennessee, North/South Carolina, and Virginia, but I wouldn't count any of those areas as "Deep south."

I was thinking of that rumoured Horizon 2 concept art from a few months back. The environment looked incredible. Not sure if it's the traditional deep south (speaking as someone who hasn't been to the US or knows much about the deep south), but that's what I'd love from some future DLC.

nib95

Banned
I was thinking of that rumoured Horizon 2 concept art from a few months back. The environment looked incredible. Not sure if it's the traditional deep south (speaking as someone who hasn't been to the US or knows much about the deep south), but that's what I'd love from some future DLC.

You mean these? They do look good, but as far as tracks are concerned, I'm not sure how much more could be derived from it beyond what other racers such as NFS have done with it already, besides maybe the dirty swamp like areas. Then again, a Driveclub engine version of these would certainly be awesome to see.

ForzaDeepSouth1-610.jpg

Forza-Deep-South-2-610x271.jpg

Lol @ people doubting Evolution.

Lol @ speedy, what an idiot.
Dang man. No need to personally insult me. :|
Agreed. You know a racer that has really good-looking trees?

Forza 5.

2353513-5679200976-140kg.jpg

Look at all that PS2 goodness. LOOK AT IT! Glorious.
When the hell did I mention Forza in this thread, or say I think Forza has realistic trees? I've never compared DriveClub to Forza in this thread. Yes, Driveclub has better trees, no, neither of them look realistic.

Yeah, well-designed tracks should trump everything. I loved Burnout Paradise, but all I ever wanted from it was a point-to-point race on a track made with a designer's eye.
I don't want to derail things too far down this road, but just to make the point that you can still get this, even from open worlds if they are designed that way. Horizon had brilliant point-to-point rally tracks that were just closed off sections of the open world. It also had fully enclosed circuit tracks in the base game, so you didn't need to worry about navigating like you would in Burnout Paradise.

I'll play DriveClub with its large environments but closed courses and enjoy it just fine. But yeah, an open world version down the line could be absolutely stunning as well.

tskeeve

When the hell did I mention Forza in this thread, or say I think Forza has realistic trees? I've never compared DriveClub to Forza in this thread. Yes, Driveclub has better trees, no, neither of them look realistic.

But why even make a point about all these little things when it's clear that no other racer comes close? Nitpicking to the degree you took it only makes sense when there's a comparable option. This is the best looking racer of all-time, and you're sitting here nitpicking a low quality gif. How can you seriously expect us to ignore the context of your nitpicking and of your past comments?

You mean these? They do look good, but as far as tracks are concerned, I'm not sure how much more could be derived from it beyond what other racers such as NFS have done with it already, besides maybe the dirty swamp like areas. Then again, a Driveclub engine version of these would certainly be awesome to see.

ForzaDeepSouth1-610.jpg

Forza-Deep-South-2-610x271.jpg

Yup, thanks for finding them. I was thinking mainly about the second one. A few tracks in that environment using the DC engine would be a sight to behold.

Just imagine how godly the lighting would look as it makes it way through the trees. And night time racing after it's been raining?

Oh my.

WAIT

YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT ATLANTIC ROAD IS IN DRIVECLUB?

PLEASE CAN ANYONE CONFIRM

SORRY ABOUT CAPS, TOO EXCITED
Just look at the gif I posted and decide for yourself.

None of the tracks are real life tracks, so the answer is technically no - but a track inspired by that road is, by the looks of it, in the game.

It might just end up being the bridge and nothing more.

viveks86

I don't want to derail things too far down this road, but just to make the point that you can still get this, even from open worlds if they are designed that way. Horizon had brilliant point-to-point rally tracks that were just closed off sections of the open world. It also had fully enclosed circuit tracks in the base game, so you didn't need to worry about navigating like you would in Burnout Paradise.

I'll play DriveClub with its large environments but closed courses and enjoy it just fine. But yeah, an open world version down the line could be absolutely stunning as well.

Your point is no different than saying halo or uncharted should be open world games. They can all technically have brilliant closed sections and embrace the open world design paradigm.

But with such a design comes several challenges and companies need to choose if it's worth it on a case by case basis. For example, you can forget about insanely fast load times if the game should load an open world. You can forget about the obsessive details Evo has put into every track because there is only finite time and resources they can put into populating the world. There are pros and cons to each approach.

If by 'open world', you just mean they should string all the tracks as a long sequence, then it's not really an 'open' world, right?

Maybe Rushy can correct me if wrong, but yeah, The E3 trailer features both Storseisundet Bridge at 1:37 and the Skye Bridge at :41.

Two locations many of us had been asking for.

Pretty sure 1:37 is the Skye bridge as well. Storseisundet Bridge is still unconfirmed.

jEVCAHPLcnJxA.png

_64852970_skyebrig_bbc_464.jpg

SkyeBridgeWebsite.jpg

The structure is almost identical. And the vegetation mirrors what we have seen in all the DRIVECLUB Scotland tracks.

Atlantic road is very different in comparison. The vegetation, guard rails, sharp elevation don't match at all.

227569,xcitefun-atlantic-road-2.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Nice post. I think open world games have a bad image at the moment from things like the NFS series where they often just have meandering roads to allow you to race fast and enjoy the scenery. But you're right, there is nothing stopping open world tracks having well designed corners and sequences to challenge players.

slapnuts

I would like to add to those upset with the game being at 30fps to achieve this visual fidelity rather than 60fps with less visual fidelity, that this is perfectly fine.. Racing games that are a mixture of arcade/sim are perfectly fine with 30fps. I just personally feel 100% sim racers are the genre that needs that 60fps but games like Drive Club, Horizon, Project Gothem Racing,etc...30fps is perfectly fine imho. I mean look at how awesome the PGR games were? They were 30fps and also aimed at high visual fidelity as their main ingredient and it payed off because PGR4 even today still stands up nicely in terms of visuals go for racing games.

I wonder how many other upcoming racing games will copy the effects we see in DC? This is truly raising the bar visually for the new generation we just entered...i mean there is nothing on PC that even rivals the visual fidelity we are seeing in Drive Club now. I think a lot of people were really hastily judging the capabilities of PS4...i was always one that said PS4 would raise the bar graphically with certain 1st party games by using new cutting edge effects that haven't been used in any video game to date. This is a prime example of what im talking about...these cutting edge weather effects are bar none in a league of their own. Now this is where competition goes in favor to the gamers because i can really see other game studios copying the graphical effects that Drive Club is sporting. This game is probably the best looking game to date on all platforms...its the closest i've seen a game get to photo realistic visuals.

I know one thing...the PS4 redeemed itself "righteously" from all the people that were downplaying it's specs. I just feel we never truly seen what the hardware was truly capable..even on the PC front..it was never truly tapped until now. For the GPU being 2 years old in the PC realm...its only now that its truly being utilized and this is the result of GPGPU architecture being worked in videogames with blazing results.

This game looks amazing and we are finally starting to see the real power of the PS4 now.

I'll argue that Killzone and inFamous both look amazing, but they are basically launch games.

With an extra year in the oven, we are seeing what Evolution can do on the PS4. It's the first big budget first party non launch game to really hit and we are seeing what can be done when Sony's studios aren't rushed.

We saw a pretty serious jump from Motorstorm 1 to Pacific Rift as PR had much more time to be refined.

From here on out, expect Sony's big budget games to look this good.
The Order, Uncharted, Quantic Dream's game, etc. will all look as good as Drive Club.
Now it's the real deal.

Drive Club is definitely a step up from what we have seen at launch.

slapnuts

Man i totally agree! I also dislike open world racers because it just seems like a waste of space for some odd reason. I suppose what i am getting at is that i rather have super detailed tracks in a racer than more bland detailed tracks set in a open world environment. Racing games belong on tracks...not hay/corn fields. It just feels too boring and bland to me.

T.O.P

Banned
Kinda hate that

-Forza 5

1 year passes by *crickets*

boom

-Driveclub
-Horizon 2
-Project Cars
-The Crew

in just a couple of months, why do they do this lol

I don't understand the hype for this.

Looks o.k., nothing mind blowing to go crazy about.

Like the same thing we seen from higher end racers all throughout last gen, only with higher res PC like textures.

Maybe I need to see a direct feed to be more impressed (but then again, it's 30fps).

Kinda hate that

-Forza 5

1 year passes by *crickets*

boom

-Driveclub
-Horizon 2
-Project Cars
-The Crew

in just a couple of months, why do they do this lol

Lol, so true. I would have loved DC and Horizon 2 to release right around now. Horizon especially seems like a perfect summer game.

Top Bottom