• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB The Drenched Forests of Canada

Guymelef

Just remember we are seeing shit quality videos.
Just wait for proper 1080p.
iFERVz8fRSdLD.png

Just remember we are seeing shit quality videos.
Just wait for proper 1080p.
iFERVz8fRSdLD.png

Exactly. Just look at the middle example, the wall looks like it has jaggies at the top that don't even exist in the higher quality capture on the left..

And GOD DAYUM at that Motorstorm gif...gets me every time. Crazy how good it looked with all that stuff going on. Just imagine what Motorstorm 4 would (will) look like on PS4.

I'm so ashamed that I missed out on this one; the first two were great. This looks absolutely bonkers though.

It's brilliant, gets you buzzing like Burnout (controls aren't as tight as Burnout, but it feels great) and the destruction and chaos as you lap the levels if brilliant.

One of my favourite games of last gen (1080/60 Motorstorm Trilogy please, Rushy).

Amandeep

Wow this really does look stunning.... I'm seriously excited to see what they can do a few years into this current generation!

Huggers

So the rain looks incredible. Any idea how long it is before this will be patched after release? Is ti dynamic weather or all weather that will be patched?

DieH@rd

Banned
So the rain looks incredible. Any idea how long it is before this will be patched after release? Is ti dynamic weather or all weather that will be patched?

TOD, time progression and amount of clouds will be part of the game at launch. Rain and Snow will come later.

nib95

Banned

No specifics. Just that the patch will be coming in 2014. Game releases in October, so at most the wait will be just under 3 months.

The Motorstorm games have an option for motion controls. It's terrible.

That's because the DS3's SIXAXIS is terrible. DS4's have higher precision, (possibly) lower-latency accelerometers, plus it's got a gyro, which makes a huge difference in itself.

Huggers

TOD, time progression and amount of clouds will be part of the game at launch. Rain and Snow will come later.

Ah okay, thank you

No specifics. Just that the patch will be coming in 2014. Game releases in October, so at most the wait will be just under 3 months.

This year works for me, awesome stuff, it looks staggeringly good. You can never doubt these guys

This thread is golden, Speedy's meltdown was glorious. Even though this is not my kind of game (30fps racers), I take my hat off to Evolution for the graphics that they managed to achieve. People trying to downplay it are just making themselves look like fools.

This is going to be one hell of a generation for some people, I imagine the meltdowns when Uncharted releases and they manage to keep the visual fidelity of the teaser. If they don't then even more meltdowns will occur.

nib95

Banned
This comment off their Facebook fills me with glee.

Christos Chronis said:
Now this is what makes justice to next gen consoles!

Driveclub said:
As development continues it will improve a lot, so we're glad that you're impressed already

Presumably they are confident future games will look a lot better and that there's still a large degree of optimisation headway. Which is all the more impressive given how good launch window games are already looking on the console.

orochi91

This comment off their Facebook fills me with glee.

Presumably they are confident future games will look a lot better and that there's still a large degree of optimisation headway. Which is all the more impressive given how good launch window games are already looking on the console.

Excellent. This console turned out to be a good investment.

Though I wonder if they should consider another month delay, in order to get weather
in Day One.

That is not from the gif, the video is just low quality.

I think the PlayStation Access video might have been a native 1080p source, but it's so hard to get any 1:1 pixel mapping with bad quality, especially in a racing game where everything around you moves so quick.

I tried though:

Window frames of the car ahead look native 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p here
R0hmu0k.jpg

Gaps between trees are single pixels at some points, 1:1 native 1080p
fmtpELZ.jpg

But at the same time other stuff looks blurry, but it seems like it's due to just the compression artefacts.

Thank you for looking at this, there are definitely some places that look 1080p in those pics, I guess I have a lot to learn about just how bad macroblocks can make things look. I think the video must have been saved at 1080p originally and something nasty in the compression is making parts of it look half res, like the white line and blocks to the left of the Beetle.
Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also, you can hardly see any details on the rear-lights. It's just a red oval with a dark red blob in the middle, no details.
I dont really understand this complaint. First of all, if you want to see details of a light on a car, it depends on how close you are to it. Secondly, the video quality matters. If you look at Youtube videos of real racing, you wont necessarily notice a lot of details in the rear-lights either. That is why i dont understand this complaint.

Once they get DC out the door, they need to apply this engine to an open world racing game.

Nah, two open world racers is enough. We don't have nearly enough circuit arcade racers and this is the market that DC will own and should continue to own throughout the entire generation.

Unless of course MS decides to bring back PGR, then all bets are off.

It's brilliant, gets you buzzing like Burnout (controls aren't as tight as Burnout, but it feels great) and the destruction and chaos as you lap the levels if brilliant.

One of my favourite games of last gen (1080/60 Motorstorm Trilogy please, Rushy).
No! We need a NEW motorstorm!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
There's no way to make something like that work because you're steering without any resistance. It's why people actively avoid racing wheels that don't support force feedback.

Good point. I wonder if force feedback could be simulated via the rumble tech?

Edit: Or possible in combination with the gyroscope?

Thank you for looking at this, there are definitely some places that look 1080p in those pics, I guess I have a lot to learn about just how bad macroblocks can make things look. I think the video must have been saved at 1080p originally and something nasty in the compression is making parts of it look half res, like the white line and blocks to the left of the Beetle.
Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

And you have the audacity to call yourself a "Graphics" horse instead of a normal oat bag horse.

SMH

Paganmoon

They said it was from a real level in the game though, and all previous Uncharted reveals have been included in the final game as well.

Aliens: Colonial Marines also had their vertical slice in the final game, didn't look the same though. I do hold ND to much higher standards though, so probably not the same.

Nah, two open world racers is enough.
Oh God no.

You can have a track racer within an open world game, but you can't really do the opposite.

Embrace the open world. Let it wash over you.

I'm so ashamed that I missed out on this one; the first two were great. This looks absolutely bonkers though.
Oh its super bonkers. I can't even imagine a remaster - I'd probably have a heart attack and die. Would look like I got dosed with smilex.

Ok, I've finished the ad for Evolution Studios.

Sony, you can send the money to my usual paypal account :)

WEBM, Enable audio!

http://a.pomf.se/qzutfi.webm

LOL! Man, this is exactly what I envisioned! Great job!

Would it be possible to splice the other half with more cuts to gameplay? "Create your own Club. [cut to gameplay of new daytime track] Compete with friends against Rival Clubs [cut to online gameplay] Own the road, and earn your club fame [cut to social interface/clubs all around the world]. Driveclub. Exclusively on PS4"

Sony better not do a cheesy action-music advertisement, this game deserves something different! And don't you dare do a "Greatness Awaits" live action spot! If the developers respect the game enough to put music off by default, then the same should be done for the ad spot.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Which you could still do. Start in Africa, drive through tunnel, emerge in Norway.

Voila! The magic of games.

Aside from Crash Team Racing's overworld, there's not a single game I know of that does this.

It would also look beyond stupid in a semi-realistic racer. In a game like Driveclub where environmental realism is one of the biggest selling points, I don't think it would work.

Caayn

No! We need a NEW motorstorm!
Oh, yes. But with less rubber-banding AI please.
Aside from Crash Team Racing's overworld, there's not a single game I know of that does this.

It would also look beyond stupid in a semi-realistic racer. In a game like Driveclub where environmental realism is one of the biggest selling points, I don't think it would work.
The Crew should be interesting for you. Diddy Kong Racing this back on the N64.

No thanks. Give me specialized locales from completely different parts of the planet.

Phil-Modern-Family-Point-and-Thumbs-Up.gif

Fuck open world racing games. Right in the ear.

Does anyone else hope that the DLC for this game will be really wacky and out of character? I don't know why, but i want to see tracks going through volcanoes and roads in the sky.

No, I'm not high right now. I promise.

Oh God no.

You can have a track racer within an open world game, but you can't really do the opposite.

Embrace the open world. Let it wash over you.

Heavens no. I'd much prefer a large number of tracks based in locations from around the world rather be forced to race in just one large open world that's based in one location with extremely limited variety.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy it, but there's so much more that can be achieved with a track/circuit racer than can be achieved with an open world title.

qmzfuo.gif

Out of the three clips shown today, this is the one ive re-watched the most. There's just something about the lighting and the foggy weather that make it look photo-realistic. Every time i see it i do a double take and just can't believe how real it looks. Especially at the start of the gif, with the river on the right as he's racing down that road...it just looks so damn real.

Did i mention the part where i think it looks real?

Sony should release this without the HUD as an ad. 25 seconds of racing. IN GAME FOOTAGE then scrolls onto the screen. Cut to PS4 logo.

This shit sells itself.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oh, yes. But with less rubber-banding AI please.
The Crew should be interesting for you. Diddy Kong Racing this back on the N64.

Why? I like point-to-point and track/circuit racing. PGR4 is my favorite racer of all time, DC looks to be my jam in every way.

The open-world racers I played like TDU and Burnout Paradise completely failed to interest me.
Never played Horizon though, sadly. But spending 100% of the game in southern france in H2 would probably bore me rather quick.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Does anyone else hope that the DLC for this game will be really wacky and out of character? I don't know why, but i want to see tracks going through volcanoes and roads in the sky.

No, I'm not high right now. I promise.

This would be awful.

I want the same treatment given to other famous scenic drives. Not Beetle Adventure Racing 2.

A USA pack would be great. I can already see myself drifting around corners on Zion Canyon Loop.

Top Bottom