• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Brief Intervew Excerpts feat. Tales from OP's Arse

My memory might be fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I read an article of CDP saying it was easy for them porting the Witcher III on Xbox One too, so what am I supposed to take from that?

I do know that on GiantBomb during E3 one of the devs said they had a much easier time getting it up and running on the Xbone and that they were still working on resolutions and optimization on both consoles.

RulkezX

I would be surprised if this ran above 900p on either console, the first two games were power houses.

They said at E3 that is already 1080 on PS4 and 900 on X1, they went on to say they were going to try to hit 1080 but had found it easier to hit the target on PS4.

Speaking of Witcher graphics (across all versions) Does anyone else think Geralt looks almost fat? He seems so thick around his character models like his model is stretched from a separate aspect ratio?

Amir0x

Banned
Fair enough, in the end it's easier to develop for some devs, but as the end user I'm not seeing the benefits of it when porting still takes time, and when you have clauses that will make games come out at the same time on both platforms.

My memory might be fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I read an article of CDP saying it was easy for them porting the Witcher III on Xbox One too, so what am I supposed to take from that?

Not sure on Witcher, but the benefits are simple. The easier a game is to get up and running, the more time you have to optimize it and enhance it. As an end user, you benefit by receiving a product that has been improved by virtue of the extra time they gain in development. Now this benefit will vary from title to title, from engine to engine, depending on the needs of any specific product.

If the only benefit you want is an earlier release date, then yes from that perspective you are not gaining anything :p

That's why I said the end result is the same. With the PS4 versions only being better thanks to the hardware it has.
And wasn't Ghost a mess on both consoles when it came out?

The end result isn't the same though. If the PS4 was more difficult to develop for and took longer, you'd get less optimization and less improvements. There is always a finite time to develop anything, so obviously programmers love when they find ways to gain more time.

Ghosts wasn't a mess on both consoles, but there was a problem with the PS4 version initially because it actually ran way faster than 60fps, causing uncomfortable judder. From what I understand that was fixed in a patch some time ago, but I haven't been able to test that for myself.

On Xbox One, the game was 720p and had numerous other little effects looking better on the PS4, but it did not have that initial multiplayer framerate glitch, so it seemed to run better at first there. That was where the dispute was coming from, since people did not know the cause of the PS4 judder at first.

Yeah, I guess you could say that not having seen how it translates in the games I own.
Call me jaded if you want but when I hear significantly more powerful, I expect to see it shown on my screen.

It is shown on your screen. It's only a matter then of how perceptive a user is. For example, the Tomb Raider on PS4 has a better framerate, better depth of field, better textures at times, better AA, better everything, essentially. Even certain cutscenes on XBO were 900p. That's a ton of real world differences.

Obviously however you will always see the biggest differences in games designed exclusively for the console. Look at the insanity behind the visuals of The Order's cathedral scene for example or the way Driveclub looks. Similarly on XBO's end, look at how Quantum Break looks and Sunset Overdrive. Very impressive looking titles, designed from the ground up to take advantage of the systems unique architecture.

erawsd

I do know that on GiantBomb during E3 one of the devs said they had a much easier time getting it up and running on the Xbone and that they were still working on resolutions and optimization on both consoles.

Yeah that is because they've got tons of experience with Direct X. Only one person on the team had ever used a Sony SDK before, so there was more of a learning curve on the PS4.

They'll be pushing the same hardware they always push.

Yeah what this guy said. Why would they put in effort to make marginal strides on one console version versus the other when they are already able to and doing things leaps and bounds ahead on PC?

I don't know why I always feel alone on this but I sympathize with devs that are making games for 3+ platforms. It sounds like absolute hell to me and I'm proud that they not only design and build a huge game but get it going at an acceptable level of quality three times over.

Yeah what this guy said. Why would they put in effort to make marginal strides on one console version versus the other when they are already able to and doing things leaps and bounds ahead on PC?

This. Push the PC's capabilities, port down to the consoles and then optimize. The game looks amazing. Console specific effects at this point would only seem like talking points for interviews rather then things that actually improve the game.

Sentenza

Did they fix it though? The early videos I seen of the effect seemed a bit awkward in my opinion.
There isn't much to "fix" as much as to tune.
People complained about the fur being too soft, too "floaty", too long, "awkward" and other weird claims and they failed to realize that you have just to change a few values to adjust most of this stuff.

awesome thread! Witcher fan community seems to be a lot less creepy than the bioware watch-my-drawings-of-me-having-sex-with-party-members
Eh, I've spotted at least a couple of creepy ones even on TW forum.
For instance I distinctly remember a guy absolutely obsessed with Ciri, far before her reveal.

Who is using it as an answer to what?
I didn't even mention GDDR5 here.
You... you just did?
I asked what people thought was actually the deal with GDDR5 and your replied "because Uncharted 4", which is nonsense. And I'm guessing you know it, since you put that additional note in spoiler... So why to mention it in the first place?

Y'now it's a shame. They've got caught hitching their wagon on console to MS and I'm having trouble really blaming them for their bland and deflective PR responses to leading questions.

They clearly tried 360 initially due to its popularity in US and have aligned to MS from a PR perspectiv this gen (so far) and to be fair given 360 position it's not hard to see why.

They're getting PR from MS and a place on the MS podeium and marketing push from MS.

In return they're clearly:

• giving MS a few extra goodies - the must maligned extra pack in stuff in the CE edition
  • avoiding saying anything negative about XB1 version and avoiding saying anything that implies PS4 version might be different/better somehow
  • feeling a little caught in the spotlight of current trends turning against MS and trying to avoid saying the wrong thing (both with respect to MS/XB1 and Sony/PS4)

So it sucks a bit and yeah you can nitpick they're dodging a bit around their ideals, but I'm going to have to be a bit of an apologist for them as their support for PC has been exemplary and they've really only wavered the tiniest bit from their ideals. Heck they're not even giving MS any exclusive in-game stuff - they've stuck to just some physical items in the CE. Compare that to the extent to which others have given MS (or Sony) exclusive in-game content or timed content or whatever.

I still expect Witcher 3 to be great on all platforms nonetheless at this point (I'll be on either PC or PS4 for the game - probably PC) and while I have to shake my head a little ruefully that their strategy to broaden out further onto consoles hasn't gone as smoothly as it could I'm not going to villify them for some neutral PR responses and some playing cards and a map in a CE collection.

If I want to villify anyone it'd be SE/CD and TBH the more I look at how badly their deal is likely to pan out for the TR franchise the less I feel inclined to villify them but to worry they've really hurt a long standing IP in gaming history (to be fair wouldn't be the first time the TR IP has taken a knock but still).

That would be understandable if CD didn't act like they were the angels of the industry, "we put gamers first....blah blah blah....no DRM on our games" "no exclusive content". Just be honest about being paid, releasing bullshit statements will always turn gamers against them. Its like MS's disastrous PR was passed to them. Ugh.

Doombacon

I am in shock that a PC focused developer would not spend man hours optimizing for hardware quirks in their console ports.

/s

Riky

$MSFT
Ghosts wasn't a mess on both consoles, but there was a problem with the PS4 version initially because it actually ran way faster than 60fps, causing uncomfortable judder. From what I understand that was fixed in a patch some time ago, but I haven't been able to test that for myself.

On Xbox One, the game was 720p and had numerous other little effects looking better on the PS4, but it did not have that initial multiplayer framerate glitch, so it seemed to run better at first there. That was where the dispute was coming from, since people did not know the cause of the PS4 judder at first.

Digital Foundry updated the article but nobody talks about it,

Update: Having reviewed the patch captures, there's an odd issue with tearing which caused some confusion, but we're fairly convinced now that in the revised version of the game at least, any judder is down to frame-rate drops and not the game running faster than 60Hz.

It still hasn't been fixed with some grinding framerate drops even in multiplayer, I play both versions and Wii U version often still.

Kezen

Banned
I am in shock that a PC focused developer would not spend man hours optimizing for hardware quirks in their console ports.

/s

They are not "PC focused". They are a multiplatform developer, each sku will be subjected to the same treatment. The Witcher 3 will make the most of each platform.

There is no doubt The Witcher 3 on PS4 will look significantly better than on Xbox One.
A PR will obviously try to diminish the differences to almost zero but this is hardly surprising.

Come on people, there is nothing to be worried about no matter where you play.

Amir0x

Banned
There isn't much to "fix" as much as to tune.
People complained about the fur being too soft, too "floaty", too long, "awkward" and other weird claims and they failed to realize that you have just to change a few values to adjust most of this stuff.

Ah, I just haven't seen a video yet that demonstrates a more natural look. It seemed always like someone just poured Herbal Essences on their hair or some shit :p

I'd like to see video of the tweaked settings for the hair, if there is one. I appreciate it :)

Digital Foundry updated the article but nobody talks about it,

It still hasn't been fixed with some grinding framerate drops even in multiplayer, I play both versions and Wii U version often still.

Thanks. As I said, I was unable to test the patch so was only going off what I heard around here on that score/

PFD

Microsoft is actively promoting this game. Of course they're not gonna stab them in the back and mention any graphical differences between the platforms prior to the game's release.

You guys are funny

poor ps4.

cerny made the architecture as straightforward yet the devs can't even be bothered using custom gpgpu features, etc.

is this going to be like the cell again where most devs didn't bother with parallel processing and only used a couple of spes?

the ps4's gpu can do much more than a higher resolution version. do people honestly think a gpu that has gddr5 can only do 1080p better than one with ddr3? or a gpu with more shader units...ps4 has the bigger mem bandwidth, faster mem speed, more shader units, ps4 can render 64 bit data as well.

and this is supposed to be a studio best known for and takes pride in pushing hardware. huh.

Sentenza

Ah, I just haven't seen a video yet that demonstrates a more natural look. It seemed always like someone just poured Herbal Essences on their hair or some shit :p

I'd like to see video of the tweaked settings for the hair, if there is one. I appreciate it :)
There was that video took during the presentation Nvidia made for these features where the guy showing it off pointed that you could make fur shorter, longer, more dense and compact and more "fluffy" in real time just moving sliders... And he did it, while he was explaining it.

That's why I say there's nothing to "fix", it's just a matter to tune it from time to time exactly to the point where you think it fits on a specific creature.

Kezen

Banned
There was that video took during the presentation Nvidia made for these features where the guy showing it off pointed that you could make fur shorter, longer, more dense and compact and more "fluffy" in real time just moving sliders... And he did it, while he was explaining it.

That's why I say there's nothing to "fix", it's just a matter to tune it from time to time exactly to the point where you think it fits on a specific creature.

Those ones :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwji3ZTrbCI&list=UUASOkSclENSWAyIovnY8Wdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwji3ZTrbCI&list=UUASOkSclENSWAyIovnY8Wdw

MavFan619

Banned
Not necessarily. If CD Project is using the Xbox One as a baseline for 1080p @30fps, the PS4's extra power is not enough for the game to run at 1080p @60fps. So it is possible that both will be 1080p @30fps with the PS4 version sporting a couple of extra effects or a more stable frame rate.
Yeah I understand that as much and if so they should go for the extra effects where they can implement them. If both versions end up at the same spot resolution and framerate wise there is room for more on PS4 is my understanding.

Durante

poor ps4.

cerny made the architecture as straightforward yet the devs can't even be bothered using custom gpgpu features, etc.

is this going to be like the cell again where most devs didn't bother with parallel processing and only used a couple of spes?

the ps4's gpu can do much more than a higher resolution version. do people honestly think a gpu that has gddr5 can only do 1080p better than one with ddr3? or a gpu with more shader units...ps4 has the bigger mem bandwidth, faster mem speed, more shader units, ps4 can render 64 bit data as well.

and this is supposed to be a studio best known for and takes pride in pushing hardware. huh.
I can't even tell what is sarcasm and what isn't anymore.

Not sure on Witcher, but the benefits are simple. The easier a game is to get up and running, the more time you have to optimize it and enhance it. As an end user, you benefit by receiving a product that has been improved by virtue of the extra time they gain in development. Now this benefit will vary from title to title, from engine to engine, depending on the needs of any specific product.

If the only benefit you want is an earlier release date, then yes from that perspective you are not gaining anything :p

The end result isn't the same though. If the PS4 was more difficult to develop for and took longer, you'd get less optimization and less improvements. There is always a finite time to develop anything, so obviously programmers love when they find ways to gain more time.

It is shown on your screen. It's only a matter then of how perceptive a user is. For example, the Tomb Raider on PS4 has a better framerate, better depth of field, better textures at times, better AA, better everything, essentially. Even certain cutscenes on XBO were 900p. That's a ton of real world differences.

Obviously however you will always see the biggest differences in games designed exclusively for the console. Look at the insanity behind the visuals of The Order's cathedral scene for example or the way Driveclub looks. Similarly on XBO's end, look at how Quantum Break looks and Sunset Overdrive. Very impressive looking titles, designed from the ground up to take advantage of the systems unique architecture.
It never got fixed, I had the ps4 version of Ghosts and even after the patch it was still suffering frame drops, mainly at one specific map that I can't remember the name

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm not too bothered by this. How many other titles have these guys developed on three platforms simultaneously? We all recognize that game development is a time consuming, difficult process and yet we seem to forget that a bit when we chastise developers for not giving our platform of choice enough attention. But, how much more angry would people be if they had decided to focus on only one or two platforms to really allow themselves the time to get the most out of one or both?
Seems to me like they're saying, "This is hard and we really want to get the game out to all of you, so please forgive us if we didn't spend several months figuring out how to best take advantage of the PS4's compute units or the Bone's RAM setup."
That's fine by me and I will be picking up a copy of the PS4 version.

Kathian

Banned
The wish for a single product on multiple systems is an attractive one compared to a product that is up and down on different ones.

patapuf

poor ps4.

"special graphical features" are things like custom AA solutions, the hair tech they use for the wolves ect.

Obviously the game is going to run and look better on PS4.

sad news. pretty obvious ms money hatted this game

Microsoft money hats pixels now?

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Tigress

To be fair even games without the so called 'parity' don't have 'special graphical features' for the PS4 over the Xbox One. They may have the same graphical feature running at a higher quality (which for certain things is a simple thing to implement) and better framerate probably wouldn't be called a 'special graphical feature' either.

I think this is it pretty much.

Bloodrage

Banned
Pretty obvious moneyhat here. CD Projekt Red is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around The Witcher 3's release date. Will wait until The Witcher 3 hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.

patapuf

if those things on pc are possible to implement on ps4, then why shouldn't they?

the hair tech is an Nvidia API along with physx ect... Those are also really expensive performance wise.

They'll have a baseline for what effects they want to use on consoles and untilise the aditional power the PS4 has for those. And maybe there'll even some effects that aren't on xbox one but there won't be any effects developped specifically for one platform (exept the Nvidia stuff).

The PS4 is more powerful than an Xbox but it can't compete with a high end graphics card, and you'll need one of those to run above mentioned effects decently.

I mean, this has always been the case for multiplat releases, i doubt there's more than a handful of titles in all of last gen that had custom solutions for one platform.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
sad news. pretty obvious ms money hatted this game

Pretty obvious moneyhat here. CD Projekt Red is full of shit. I have no reason to support these guys now especially with everything else coming out around The Witcher 3's release date. Will wait until The Witcher 3 hits bargain bin. Or better yet, will play used.
Super curious, exactly what is being "moneyhatted" here?

Lmao at the thread title change.

Made me read the OP and lol, it's funny the way they're written 'They won't (take advantage of PS4).

Tales from their arse.

Every time someone mentions CDPR history "pushing hardware" makes me think that they never played one of their games. These were beautiful games because of the art.

the hair tech is an Nvidia API along with physx ect... Those are also really expensive performance wise.

They'll have a baseline for what effects they want to use on consoles and untilise the aditional power the PS4 has for those. And maybe there'll even some effects that aren't on xbox one but there won't be any effects developped specifically for one platform (exept the Nvidia stuff).

The PS4 is more powerful than an Xbox but it can't compete with a high end graphics card, and you'll need one of those to run above mentioned effects decently.

not really. remember rsx and 512 mb split vram/sysram? it achieved something like god of war 3 and beyond two souls, and you won't find those kinds of graphics with the same gpu/ram setup on pc. it has always been easier to achieve better graphical results on fixed hardware through optimisation and by the very nature of being fixed.

witcher 2 barely even gets discussed as best-looking console game the past gen. i wouldn't even be surprised if cdpr is using gnmx on ps4, given how focused they are on dx/nvidia, while ps4 sports gnm/amd.

Kezen

Banned
if those things on pc are possible to implement on ps4, then why shouldn't they?

What makes you think the PC extras can be ported to PS4 ? Those are going to be very expensive effects. Hairworks, GPU Physx, more tessellation, better post-processings, better shadows (PCSS with variable penumbra), HBAO+ will likely be PC exclusive but for performance reasons.

Besides, that does not mean the console versions will be strictly equivalent, there will be differences by virtue of having more powerful hardware to work with.

Seanspeed

Banned
What a sad, embarrassing post.

Loginius

All this bullshit about money hatting and developers being lying scumbags has to stop.

Clearly there have been quite a few cases where developers have lied and/or have gotten paid to do so for the sake of a specific platform but assuming they get paid every time a developer says "the game looks the same on all platforms" is just dumb.

Imo its already crazy to expect developers to implement new effects, AA methods and what not for every console but it gets even crazier if every time a developer doesn't do this he gets called out for getting paid for not doing so.

Maybe, just maybe the real reason (in most cases) is the additional time more effects would require?

Is a missing implementation of msaa really a reason to "stop supporting a developer" that makes crazy awesome games?

I don't get it.

Sentenza

not really. remember rsx and 512 mb split vram/sysram? it achieved something like god of war 3 and beyond two souls, and you won't find those kinds of graphics with the same gpu/ram setup on pc. it has always been easier to achieve better graphical results on fixed hardware through optimisation and by the very nature of being fixed.

witcher 2 barely even gets discussed as best-looking console game the past gen. i wouldn't even be surprised if cdpr is using gnmx on ps4, given how focused they are on dx/nvidia, while ps4 sports gnm/amd.
So I guess the previous one wasn't a parody post in the end.

Top Bottom