• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Ocean 2 announced (in the most sneaky manner)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
nice. loved the first one, anticipating the new one. also, freshwater diving is a nice addon.

73901520081002_131623_2_big.jpg

This does look way better, and makes me feel like the game could also be like, an adventure game.

Best new game announced at the conference as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely loved the first one. My only major request is for a much bigger body of water to explore.

farnham said:
why the hell did they refuse to review this

shane bettenhausen was all over the PS3 version (Aquanaut holiday or something)
As I recall they considered it to not be a "real" game and therefore as reviewers of "real" games they were not going to touch it. To be a little fair to them (not too much because of how puerile they acted), it came out around the time a lot of gamers were having to come to terms with the reality that the Wii would not be dethroned as #1. If you were on gaf pre April 08 NPD then you know how hard it was for such gamers :lol.

Tab0203

hamzik said:
I think this sneak announcement of the year deserves it's own thread. Endless Ocean 2 was shown as a brief 5 seconds long clip an the Nintendo Oct 2 Conference.

Check the reel here. Look for EO2 at the 3:15 mark.
>> http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40713.html

Youtube version.
>> http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1_9eqUNtg

Jump over to the official thread of the first game, complete with beautiful pics from Tab0203.
>> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204226

How could you not crave a sequal to this (thanks to Tab0203):
http://i16.tinypic.com/6ntgmrt.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.tinypic.com/6twr8t1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.tinypic.com/6pg3sra.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.tinypic.com/8c301af.jpg[IMG]

Coming 2009. FUCK YES![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2ntd1so.gif

YES!

edit
Endless Ocean:
330fkvq.gif

NotWii

Banned
hirokazu said:
I said this in the previous official thread and asked if there was anything that I hadn't experienced in my 2 hours of play that would redeem it, but no one replied.
Encountering the Blue Whale and deep sea diving is coooool, but I never got to unlock the deep sea equipment cause my Wii borked >:O
And the diver swims so slowly that I cbf unlocking it.

Scrubking said:
Um, thats what the ocean really looks like.
It's not THAT cloudy everywhere :p

About the better music playback - considering Nintendo's stance on mp3s (Wii Photo Channel, DSi), it will probably only be compatible with AAC music files, since they don't want to spend the money on mp3 licensing anymore.

I am glad to see a sequel to this game, and it does look better. I wouldn't mind some more adventure elements to it myself, though, just for variety.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
As I recall they considered it to not be a "real" game and therefore as reviewers of "real" games they were not going to touch it. To be a little fair to them (not too much because of how puerile they acted), it came out around the time a lot of gamers were having to come to terms with the reality that the Wii would not be dethroned as #1. If you were on gaf pre April 08 NPD then you know how hard it was for such gamers :lol.

It was a very stupid act, reflective of one of the funniest eras of gaming culture.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, is it me or is there a lot more going on in the screens? I've never seen a situation where so many blue whales or penguins appear onscreen at any one time.

Also, lots more varied locations to dive. Are those freshwater areas you can swim in now? Awesome.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Best new game announced at the conference as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely loved the first one. My only major request is for a much bigger body of water to explore.

Which is funny because it has both a story and a goal. I don't see anything non-gamey about it. Then again it's EGM/1Up.

Nocebo said:
Cosmic walker is a shooter. What are you on?
What?

Hears what I heard from the France site.

Nintendo has released the first screenshots of Cosmic Walker for the Wii, a new space action adventure game set to release next year in Japan. In this game, you will be playing as a cosmonaut on space stations and even the moon's surface.

Tab0203

ElyrionX said:
If only this was for a HD console.
Every Wii thread... what was Nintendo thinking promising "HD era AA no jaggies 1080p 120fps" games... oh wait.

You forgot "next gen" or "actual next gen HD era" :lol

Wii HD? PS4/720?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Gameplay>interface>image quality (stable 60/30fps/no tearing, no pop-in, no LCD lag/blacklevel/ghosting/contrast etc.)/graphics>sound>resolution.

PC/Wii/DS>>>PS3/xbox360

*edit*

Sin and Punishment 2 thread, 3rd post:
AlternativeUlster said:
I wish this was for HD consoles..........sike!

CTLance

J-Rock said:
FUCK YES THANK YOU HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY GOD THANK YOU
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I nearly suffered from a cardiac arrest due to happiness overload when I saw that video snippet in the morning (Germany -> conference was at 6:30 AM). I have been a very happy CTLance today.

Sooooo hyped. I've played EO at the very least three times every month ever since I got it, so I'm expecting to get a ridiculous amount of fun out of this (Three times ain't much on this board, but it's a huge slice of my gaming time). Hopefully you can import the EO1 save, or at least get some ingame stuff or something. I don't want my diver to "die".

Regarding EGM's no review: Torrey Walker did review the game for 1up, and they even featured the game in a 1up Show segment, so I think Ziff Davis treated it kindly. Maybe the EGM wing specifically didn't, but 1up are directly responsible for my purchase of friendly whales.

Tab0203

The 1up show segment was great.

Regarding EGM:

Crispin Boyer defines what a non-game is
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232710
Why isn't it a game?
Endless Ocean gives you a sailboat and a stretch of the South Pacific to explore at 10 fathoms. What it doesn't give you is danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses... you know, game stuff. You don't even have to worry about your air supply. Ever tried diving without an air guage? Diving's a supersafe sport, but if you don't follow a few simple rules, you could rupture your lungs or catch agonizing decompression sickness or just drift into a happy warm funk until you run out of air. I'm not saying EO needs to give players the bends, but it'd be nice if the occasional fish at least tried to eat you.

Wait, you mean the fish don't bite?
Nope, not even when you chum the water and then reach out to pet them with your Wii remote. EO's fauna - both the fish below and hte birds above the water - exist solely to satisfy your critter-molestation desires. It's be like Mario going to the Mushroom Kingdom just to grope all the Goombas and the Koopas. At least the manta ray in Super Mario Galaxy will kill ya if you ride him wrong, for cryin' out loud. Your goal here ultimately is to catalog as many fish as you can get in petting distance, stopping along the way to give dive tours to tourists who want in on the hot fin-petting action. And if that sounds more like work than a game, then bingo - That's why EO kicks off our inaugural installment of Electronic Nongaming Monthly. - Crispin Boyer
:lol

Tab said:
There is a story ("help" the girl), time limit (air gauge) and missions/assignments (photographer/diving guide) with winning conditions.

You have to find treasures, solve "puzzles" (fill a room with water to continue) to open up new areas and unlock new diving gear: night diving lamp, fins, suits, gloves, larger tank (air gauge upgrade)

Guiding/pictures for diving mags get rated (score!) A-D iirc. It is possible to fail. Cover story/medium/small article/rejected.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9498661#post9498661

Afterwards they claimed it was supposed to be a joke.

Amir0x

Banned
My wishes:

+ Make online more robust.
+ Substantially increase the complexity of diving tours: Simply staying around for long enough should not allow you to get the highest score. You should have to provide a unique diving experience, and missing out on the 'goal fish' should cause a mediocre rating. This should impact you.
+ Custom soundtrack option should not only allow one track at a time. Should allow playlists.
+ Make photography a more pivotal part of the game.
+ Remove being forced to pet creatures three times on three separate trips to unlock all their info.
+ Add video for different sealife, ala Afrika.
+ Don't feel afraid to get even MORE silly with the concept. I wouldn't mind alongside the real creatures, you unlock a set a LEGENDARY sea creatures which is a side book that allows you to find mythical creatures or extinct ones.

d+pad

The sight of this last night during the video reel made me more excited than pretty much everything else NOJ showed - including even Punch-Out!! The original has been one of the best surprises on the Wii for me so far.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ok, its nice to see another EO. But damn Nintendo, if you are going to give EO a sequel then do the same for Excite Truck!

Amir0x said:
My wishes:

+ Substantially increase the complexity of diving tours: Simply staying around for long enough should not allow you to get the highest score. You should have to provide a unique diving experience, and missing out on the 'goal fish' should cause a mediocre rating. This should impact you.
+ Custom soundtrack option should not only allow one track at a time. Should allow playlists.
+ Remove being forced to pet creatures three times on three separate trips to unlock all their info.
+ Don't feel afraid to get even MORE silly with the concept. I wouldn't mind alongside the real creatures, you unlock a set a LEGENDARY sea creatures which is a side book that allows you to find mythical creatures or extinct ones.

I really like the last idea.......the ocean still has some misteries.....

Amir0x said:
My wishes:

Unfortunately this is a Japanese developer we're talking about (correct?) so all your valid criticisms/suggestions will most likely go unaddressed.

Amir0x said:
My wishes:

I wouldn't mind finding some mermaids - ones that interact with you and speak with you.

alex1893

evilromero said:
Unfortunately this is a Japanese developer we're talking about (correct?) so all your valid criticisms/suggestions will most likely go unaddressed.
well, at least we've got something like Moby Dick in the first part, if that goes through as a "legendary" creature.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Amir0x said:
i believe that was in the original game. i know the client would say they were satisfied after a sufficient time spent diving and completing a bunch of secondary objectives, but i think their behaviour did change if you hit their primary objective. so it's more like you get mission complete even if you do sub-par, but you get 'wow, amazing! extra bonus for you' if you completed it, erm, competely.

The Hermit

Amir0x said:
i dunno about Mermaids, but hey... why not.

Let's find ATLANTIS :O

Finding a super rare whale is one thing... mermaids, I dunno.
Actually, if you recall correctly, there was a dialog about mermaids right in that cave that you claim it "hooked you".

And Atlatis would be cool if it´s a bunch of ruins with some treasures and very bizarre fishes, even pre-historic ones!

Amir0x

Banned
blu said:
i believe that was in the original game. i know the client would say they were satisfied after a sufficient time spent diving and completing a bunch of secondary objectives, but i think their behaviour did change if you hit their primary objective. so it's more like you get mission complete even if you do sub-par, but you get 'wow, amazing! extra bonus for you' if you completed it, erm, competely.

Every client I had in Endless Ocean would give me his highest recommendation even if I never hit the target fish. It was a matter of simply swimming around for a while - I think five-to-nine minutes or something, and then every client would be satisfied.

You need to have like a bullet point selection like.

Ok, you need to hit A fish, B fish, C fish. If you miss any your score goes down. Clients may not want to visit, you may not get money to buy superior equipment to locate rarer fish.

Stuff like that.

My wishes

+ Less fish petting.
+ 32 player online.
+ Instead of having to pet the fish, how about shooting them instead?
+ More aggressive fish that can eat the player alive if they don't defend themselves.
+ Several different caliber of firearms.
+ More armor types to protect against carnivorous fish.
+ The ability to find gold to buy things like guns and armor.

Fuck yeah! Endless Ocean 2! I can't believe I'm more excited about this game than Punch-Out Wii and Sin & Punishment 2! :D

CTLance

ProfessorLobo said:
My wishes

+ Less fish petting.
+ 32 player online.
+ More aggressive fish that can eat the player alive if they don't defend themselves.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x said:
My wishes:

I don't care about the first one, but pretty much. Especially adding more fantasy type stuff would be cool. I don't care what I'm exploring, I just want lots of it and different its.

ProfessorLobo said:
My wishes

+ Less fish petting.
+ 32 player online.

Terrible ideas.

Amir0x

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
I don't care about the first one, but pretty much. Especially adding more fantasy type stuff would be cool. I don't care what I'm exploring, I just want lots of it and different its.

Well the first game had online, but it was basically all but impossible to meet anybody since you were limited to your friend list and you had to fucking make a playdate before you could even join together, it was like jumping through fifty hoops. I meant to do it with norinrad21 but that fell apart because what the fuck.

I think it'd be neat with WiiSpeak to go around guiding each other to neat features... of course, the size of the game should increase significantly so that there are more chances that one of you two will know of a spot the other doesn't.

Amir0x said:
Well the first game had online, but it was basically all but impossible to meet anybody since you were limited to your friend list and you had to fucking make a playdate before you could even join together, it was like jumping through fifty hoops. I meant to do it with norinrad21 but that fell apart because what the fuck.

I think it'd be neat with WiiSpeak to go around guiding each other to neat features... of course, the size of the game should increase significantly so that there are more chances that one of you two will know of a spot the other doesn't.
Whoops, didn't mean to sound like I thought it was a bad idea, enhanced online is always good since some will use it. Yeah, it was pretty obvious even to people who didn't go online in the first one that it was nearly broken. I just almost never use online so it doesn't bother me personally if it's broken or not :p.

Top Bottom