• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

Erebus

Kagari said:
Okay, I'm having a weird issue with online co-op... it won't let me join an invited game, but I can host them and people can join... and when I play co-op mode, the screen is really dark, like it's still stuck in in-game XMB mode without the icons, if that makes sense...
Just played a round with CrushDance and got owned by the chainsaw guy D:

A friend who hosted a game for me to join had similar problems. Generally, the invite/accept invitation system is rather buggy. I just hope Capcom is aware of the issues so that they're fixed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DarkUSS said:
A friend who hosted a game for me to join had similar problems. Generally, the invite/accept invitation system is rather buggy. I just hope Capcom is aware of the issues so that they're fixed.

It's annoying because I can't see SHIT. Had to turn the brightness on my TV up to 100% to even make out anything.

Revolutionary said:
Do I have to redownload from the US store to play with you ppl with the US demo or can I play with them w/ the JP demo just fine?
Nope, I don't think its region locked. I had some guy from England on his cell phone with a friend telling him to play with him. The game host suddenly was disconnected lol.

Quick question, how does voice work on this? Real basic question where do I plug my microphone headset into the system (not to send the sound to the headphones, which I would just plug into my sound system), but to be able to talk as well. I'm not up for playing online like it was still Outbreak (which was cool), with that games gesture/command format.

Does anyone also know whats supposed to be in the final code thats not in the demo, I haven't found the kotaku article someone mentioned.

kuYuri

I've been wondering, does the online coop in this allow for private games at all? I don't want to create games for random people to join, I want to be able to invite my friends.

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find an "invite" option on the menus.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Strider2K99 said:
I've been wondering, does the online coop in this allow for private games at all? I don't want to create games for random people to join, I want to be able to invite my friends.

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find an "invite" option on the menus.

Create the game, but select (I think) partner as an option. Then go to the xmb and invite from your friends list.

Well, after just playing the demo now i'd say I went from a must buy to waiting for impressions + videos of the release build. Game looks good and runs perfectly fine in my eyes. The only thing is the controls; I really hoped they wouldn't be as bad as the impressions I was reading, and they aren't broken as some have said, but they aren't very good either.

kuYuri

alr1ghtstart said:
Create the game, but select (I think) partner as an option. Then go to the xmb and invite from your friends list.

Hmm, will try when I get home, still in university waiting for next class. :(

Dave1988

Kagari said:
Okay, I'm having a weird issue with online co-op... it won't let me join an invited game, but I can host them and people can join... and when I play co-op mode, the screen is really dark, like it's still stuck in in-game XMB mode without the icons, if that makes sense...
Just played a round with CrushDance and got owned by the chainsaw guy D:

Same thing happens to me...Ugh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's bizarre. I'm playing over a wireless network and have successfully hosted and been invited to every game I've tried. I was even playing with people from Europe/America, and I live in Australia.

The random match making isn't really working, but I was just chalking that up to a lack of Australian players at the moment.

Teknoman

Kagari said:
It's annoying because I can't see SHIT. Had to turn the brightness on my TV up to 100% to even make out anything.

Really? Demo seems alot brighter than the 360 version to me. Even in the brightness edit, I turned it all the way down and can still see the BSAA letters abit.

EDIT: Ohhh I see what you mean now.

Pojo

Banned
Doc Evils said:
I imagine the demo will turn away non hardcore gamers.
Not many people who own a 360 or PS3 and are downloading this thing first day are casual gamers, man. They are all chomping at the bit for it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Teknoman said:
Really? Demo seems alot brighter than the 360 version to me. Even in the brightness edit, I turned it all the way down and can still see the BSAA letters abit.

EDIT: Ohhh I see what you mean now.

Yeah... downloading the US version to see if that helps at all...

For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ great character models, fantastic special effects
+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ 18 hours of gameplay (story mode)
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- Framerate hickups (PS3)
- No puzzle solving

93%

jett

D-Member
Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI[
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

Sucks that didn't get fixed.

BeeDog

Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

God fucking damnit *hovering mouse over "Cancel preorder" button*.

I like the PS3 controls much more than on the 360, but the framerate is more inconsistent. Probably end up picking up both versions at some point anyway.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Question, when chainsaw dude saws of your head, i saw chris fall to his knees and then black smoke. i did not see his head fall of. do you see this in the usa demo?

if not then the pal version is censored?

Flunkie said:
I hate the partner shit.
You mean how incredible moronic the invite system is? Because i've been trying to play with a friend and every single time someone else would join the game before i could accept the invite. So frustrating.

Chris_C

Wow, talk about fighting the controls, the control scheme is so archaic, it's really weird playing like that and seeing the gorgeous graphics.

Also, for some reason the demo refuses to load any gameplay after the executioner scene in the first level. The second level seems to play just fine though.

sentry65

schild said:
1080i is basically phased out now. While some TVs support it, the core resolutions are 1080p and 720p. Which is for the best, but sucks for people that got 1080i only HDTVs. I think the old CRT HDTV in my room only does 720p and 1080i now that I think about it, whereas my living room one supports all of them. Annnnnnnnnnnd, 720p looks like crap on it (the CRT) compared to 1080i.

last I checked, most HD networks are doing 1080i and will be for a long time, while some do 720p, and certain PPV channels support 1080p at least with Direct TV

as far as RE5, the lack of 1080i support for the PS3 is getting really lame now. I will not be paying full price for this game because of the non-1080i issue.

I'll wait until it's cheap and pick it up used. I'm not going to pay a premium price for a game that couldn't even be bothered to upscale

Deadspace did almost everything right...

devilchicken said:
You mean how incredible moronic the invite system is? Because i've been trying to play with a friend and every single time someone else would join the game before i could accept the invite. So frustrating.
Set to partner only lol.

bomb_jack

No puzzles is good. The series has evolved from the need for puzzles completely. If you want puzzles go for Silent Hill.

18 hours of gameplay sounds about exactly the same as my first RE4 playthrough, good stuff.

Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

that's it. RE is officially not RE anymore. :p

Elios83

Just finished the demo, I don't think Capcom did a great job with this game. To sum it up, they took the RE4 mechanics and tried to make a western action game by copying a few features which have been badly implemented. The mix overall doesn't work imo.
Controls are too slow for the kind of fast action they introduced in the game, the new real time inventory system just sucks.
Gameplay is based around three things : "pick your weapon as fast as you can before they are on you", " be careful when you shoot because you can't move", "be careful when you reload because you can't move or stop the animation".
Maybe they introduced/kept these limits in the gameplay to create a sense of urgency in the player but I'm not happy about it, a modern 'survival horror' game shouldn't rely on such a limited gameplay to achieve its purpose. Graphics are really good but not too impressive at this point.
I still want to play it for the story and new locations but I'm not sure I?m going to pay full price for this.

SpokkX

I was unsure of which version to get... not so much anymore

After this demo it is clear the 360 version is superior. The PS3 framerate is all over the place and I have yet to see tearing on the 360 (720p/hdmi)

Thrakier

WTF, they really did it with the ps3-version, now I don't want to buy this game anymore AT ALL. I don't want to buy it for 360 because I don't have XBL Gold but I won't buy a version with shitty FPS for sure.

Why Capcom, why? :(

Teknoman

Elios83 said:
Just finished the demo, I don't think Capcom did a great job with this game. To sum it up, they took the RE4 mechanics and tried to make a western action game by copying a few features which have been badly implemented. The mix overall doesn't work imo.
Controls are too slow for the kind of fast action they introduced in the game, the new real time inventory system just sucks.
Gameplay is based around three things : "pick your weapon as fast as you can before they are on you", " be careful when you shoot because you can't move", "be careful when you reload because you can't move or stop the animation".
Maybe they introduced/kept these limits in the gameplay to create a sense of urgency in the player but I'm not happy about it, a modern 'survival horror' game shouldn't rely on such a limited gameplay to achieve its purpose. Graphics are really good but not too impressive at this point.
I still want to play it for the story and new locations but I'm not sure I?m going to pay full price for this.

How is the action fast? And as far as picking your weapon...shouldnt you set up your inventory (just like any RE) before you get into the fray? Even more so with quick select. Also its not really hard to pop an enemy as long as they dont surprise you.

Paznos said:
Isn't the PS3 demo from a older build than the 360 demo? and I really didn't see any big framrate issues.

Seriously. Playing the PS3 version demo, it might have taken small framerate dips (similar to DMC4 360 cutscenes) but nothing gamebreaking.

This game needs some decent action controls to go with everything that goes on in the game

Maybe because I have been playing MGO too much, but I wanted to do so many things with Chris but was stuck with run, stop, run, walk, turn, looking through inventory...shoot...wrong button and knife comes out instead..confused...

Everything else was great, I could even accept the RE4-like animations, but the control is just hard to get used

Paracelsus

Paznos said:
Isn't the PS3 demo from a older build than the 360 demo?

No. IIRC, they said that at that point of development (from which the demo is taken) PS3 version was leagues behind the 360 one, but that they tried a newer build and they were almost identical.

I sure hope so, there is the same gap there was between the GC and the PS2 version of RE4, only that maybe the framerate is even worser.

but nothing gamebreaking.

Indeed, but it's still a shame it basically never holds at 30fps.

FrankT

Paznos said:
Isn't the PS3 demo from a older build than the 360 demo? and I really didn't see any big framrate issues.

Aye, although the review copy seems to have them as well. See above for review.

Teknoman

bomb_jack said:
No puzzles is good. The series has evolved from the need for puzzles completely. If you want puzzles go for Silent Hill.

18 hours of gameplay sounds about exactly the same as my first RE4 playthrough, good stuff.

Not anymore :lol Silent Hill Homecoming has maybe 1 or 2 puzzles at the most, and those arent even SH1-3 calibur puzzles.

Chemo

SpokkX said:
I was unsure of which version to get... not so much anymore

After this demo it is clear the 360 version is superior. The PS3 framerate is all over the place and I have yet to see tearing on the 360 (720p/hdmi)
I'm pretty sure that it's been run into the ground that the PS3 version is an old build.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Tiduz said:
Question, when chainsaw dude saws of your head, i saw chris fall to his knees and then black smoke. i did not see his head fall of. do you see this in the usa demo?

if not then the pal version is censored?

I'd say it's probably a demo censorship since the demo is accessible to just about anyone with an internet connection.

Top Bottom