• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront is current-gen only (PS4/XBO/PC)

a916

The biggest difference will be in asset quality. The assets won't have to be designed to fit into less than 512mb of RAM any more.

Eh, there's LOD creation tools that mitigate that, they automatically scale down asset quality. Also, lately more and more studios are allowing port houses to port over their games.

The only way a game technically cannot work is if something is fundamental to the game that just won't work on previous consoles. (Which I'm convinced DICE will not do with Battlefront either... I think it's a simple thing of them not wanting to worry about another platform and just make a PC version and port over to the PS4/X1)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Free from the shackles of last-gen.

wctkbp.gif

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why would it be? DICE hasn't made anything worthwhile SP wise in 5 years. Even Bad Company1/2 wasn't that good, they just took themselves less seriously. If they keep the BF3/4/HL formula then it's not even a question IMO.

Honestly, I'd prefer no story with just movie recreations.

I would prefer bots with great AI over any other single player mode, that`s just me.

Vamp

I've never played Star wars battlefront game before, is it like battlefield? Is there singleplayer or only multiplayer modes?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I've never played Star wars battlefront game before, is it like battlefield? Is there singleplayer or only multiplayer modes?

The old Battlefront (along with old Battlefield) games could be played offline with bots, altough poor AI made it worthless. EA/Dice doesn`t make bots anymore, but they usually have a campaign mode in their new games.

XavandSo

Neo Member
I'm probably the only one on this thread that will say this but:

1253886001_office-no.gif

I hate change. I don't like this. Hold back gaming. I don't care. There was something special with those systems that the current ones just lack for me. I'm weird. I know GAF.

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

I would prefer bots with great AI over any other single player mode, that`s just me.

I agree. My ideal SP would be a narrative string over the mutiplayer maps with 64-128 bots, Galactic Conquest, and 4 player(minimum) coop in both.

Sadly, I'm 85% positive we'll get another gritty super serious lackluster 4 hour explosion trip.

murgo

Great, I hope they don't fuck it up. I loved Battlefront back in the days and can't wait to play a current gen version.

Lemondish

1253886001_office-no.gif

I hate change. I don't like this. Hold back gaming. I don't care. There was something special with those systems that the current ones just lack for me. I'm weird. I know GAF.

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

Prefer living in the past? Why a Windows 10 avatar then, buddy?

Ha, got you!

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is that better good sir?

Like the single-player from Battlefield 1942? Yeah, that would be glorious.

The bots in Battlefield 1942 was terrible. I mean, really terrible. If the AI can`t meet the level of Unreal Tournament, then its a waste of time.

The bots in Battlefield 1942 was terrible. I mean, really terrible. If the AI can`t meet the level of Unreal Tournament, then its a waste of time.

Terrible soldier AI is both a Battlefront and Star Wars staple. There had better be stormtroopers randomly falling over and shooting with 10% accuracy or it won't be authentic.

We probably aren't going to be getting bots for this one. DICE hasn't done bots since BF2, and I have a feeling these machines will be struggling to maintain their framerate as is without throwing a bunch of CPU cycles at rudimentary AI routines. And no way they'll release the server software so people could run their own bot servers.

Jb

1253886001_office-no.gif

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

I don't even... Uh. What? Is this bizarro-gaf?

GamingKaiju

Thank god!!

Dev's need to drop last gen already so they can start utilizing current gens extra horse power. DICE doing this has restored some hope that SW:Battlefront will be an actual good game.

Bravo DICE but just don't mess it up like you did with BF4.

dogflaps

Banned

1253886001_office-no.gif

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

Seriously? Why? I would argue that the reason the new machines don't have anything 'special' is because they're being hampered by cross-gen support.

Lakitu

st5fu
So what games are cross-gen this year anyway?

I can't think of one with the possible exception of the annual sports titles and possibly Tomb Raider if that counts.

Slayven

Will this be like the PSP games where you can go from planet to ship fighting to invading capital ships all on the same map?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So what games are cross-gen this year anyway?

I can't think of one with the possible exception of the annual sports titles and possibly Tomb Raider if that counts.

There's a good chance CoD will be too. I think that title will be the biggest indicator yet, if that's not cross-gen then cross-gen will be truly dead (outside of FIFA)

Majanew

Banned
Sure.
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline

Done.

BF3 and BF4 prove you wrong, as does Dragon Age Inquisition. BFH was just a disappointment graphically because it looks a little worse than BF4, but there's still some good looking parts in the game.

hoserx

1253886001_office-no.gif

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

you are definitely right, you are the only one who will say this.

drotahorror

I agree. My ideal SP would be a narrative string over the mutiplayer maps with 64-128 bots

512 or nothing.

1253886001_office-no.gif

I liked sub-720p/24FPS.

Doubt you'll find many to agree with you. Heck I'm ready for PS5.

It will be rather 1080p, because they wont be aiming at 60hz, but 30hz.
Ah you again. Still making baseless assumptions I see.

There is is no reason at all to assume that DICE will be targeting 30fps for the game, the multiplayer at least. There is absolutely no reason to assume this.

KKRT00

Ah you again. Still making baseless assumptions I see.

There is is no reason at all to assume that DICE will be targeting 30fps for the game, the multiplayer at least. There is absolutely no reason to assume this.

Except for fidelity they are aiming. Watch preview again and tell me that this is how 60hz game will look like.

Top Bottom