• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

Amir0x said:
They're making a sequel to White Knight Chronicles?

I heard the first didn't turn out so amazing, but I love Level 5 games where others don't. Dark Cloud 2 is one of my all time favorite games, so if they DO make a WKC sequel maybe it'll improve as much as Dark Cloud 2 did over Dark Cloud 1.

Yeah, no official images yet. But it was mentioned in one of the recent famitsu' that White Knight Chronicles 2 is in the works.

Level 5 will hold a conference soon, but I doubt they will show off games published by other than themselves.

Im hoping for the exact same thing about WKC2, I heard the first one wasn't really the most favoured game ever.

SonComet

I am actually surprised that I like the look of the slim as much as I do. I even pre-ordered it for a couple days before canceling after finding out about protected save files and remembering how much I regretted buying a second psp just for styling/color.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
oh yeah I forgot , do not buy Resistance 2 , it's not worth it , they turned it from some sort of Half-life 2 lite in RFOM to COD4 with aliens , so stick with Killzone 2 .

at least ask for other opinions in the official thread , because many of the guys who loved the first one hated it , I personally don't recommend it .

Glad to see the new price point and design come out. To everyone now just getting a PS3 I hope you enjoy all the awesome games the ps3 has to offer. You are lucky you don't have to struggle and put up with the pain for for almost 2 years, but us 60G owners still have BC. :D

Totobeni said:
oh yeah I forgot , do not buy Resistance 2 , it's not worth it , they turned it from some sort of Half-life 2 lite in RFOM to COD4 with aliens , so stick with Killzone 2 .

at least ask for other opinions in the official thread , because many of the guys who loved the first one hated it , I personally don't recommend it .

I say he should rent it. Its really a love it or hate it type of game.

But if youre coming of R:FOM I'd recomend not touching it. R:FOM is 10 times the better game personally.

thuway

Amir0x said:
so yeah i pre-ordered a PS3 Slim

I'm getting a PS3 guys!
If you end up picking up Resistance 2 or Little BIg Planet, do let me know, I'd love to play co-op and discuss more about how fucked Sony is ;).

deepbrown said:
Get Heavenly Sword. Will be cheap and it's worth it.
I can imagine Amir0x completely savaging that game if he played it (and he'd be right to do so). But yeah I don't think anyone will disagree that it's quite pretty.

YianGaruga said:
Man, all these entirely in japanese games that I won't understand a word in and those other games that we almost know nothing about sound amazing!
I'm not saying they are bad, just weird recommendations as MUST HAVE titles.

:lol I play alot of western developed games, but japanese games will always remain my preference. I dig a little bit of everything.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A little article with anecdotes on fat availability from stores local to the writer - linking to it if only for the novelty of the picture of an empty ps3 shelf ;)

http://thegameraccess.com/ps3/ps3s-selling-out-already

I did a stock check on best buy's site for the fats in various cities out of curiousity...their wall-e/lbp bundle seems to be sold out online and I couldn't find a store with it available. The 160GB uncharted bundle is still on their site, but again couldn't find a store with it in the cities I checked. The 80GB on its own (same price as the lbp bundle) is still on the site, and still shows availability in some stores.

If that's anything to go by, if you want a fat, it might be worth looking for one sooner rather than later.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Squeak said:
How the f'ck can you guys say it looks cheap, or even cheaper than the original?! The complete opposite is true. The original, while not exactly bad looking, was kind of tacky with the plastic chrome and fake piano lacquer. "Shiny all over" and chrome is extremely last year and even then was only a novelty fad. It's the exact same plastic used, it's only the surface texture that's different. Shiny plastic is not only very impractical, it's also not a very honest material. It tries to look like painted metal or wood. THAT is cheap.
The new design says: "yes I'm plastic, and there is nothing wrong with that".

The new design looks far cleaner, neutral and well thought through. I dare say it's the best looking console ever.
Not that I think it's a big deal, but it looks cheaper because they used cheaper plastic to make it. What's so hard to understand about that? Acrylite layer over plastic is not the same thing as 'shiny plastic' or even lacquer (Acrylite is a much thicker transparent layer), and is probably the most expensive finish a plastic can have. It's the same thing Apple still uses on Iphone and Ipod Touch, (and the black border around computer screens has the same look) and probably not because they want to make them look 'dishonest' and cheap.

As far as shape goes, I agree - slim model looks better in that sense, the proportions are better, and the PS3 font choice is great too.

Oh and yeah, Amir0x, knowing your love for recreational drug use, I have a feeling Flower will be the best purchase you can possibly make on your new PS3! There's a lot more to that game than what you could have seen from few minutes of playing it.

jax (old)

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't see how me buying a PS3 - which I was always going to do at some point - means the Sony PlayStation brand isn't still fucked! I mean, judging by how the platform is doing, my comment is still as absolutely factual as it was before! ;)

Maybe PS3 Slim will make Sony's PS3 troubles go away though...

...haha.

I'm probably gonna get:

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Valkyria Chronicles
Resistance (only Ps3 game I've already beat on my friends system, really enjoyed it)
NO Resistance 2 NO... HORRIBLE
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
INfamous
MOTORSTORM PACIFIC RIFT
WIPEOUT HD+FURY
FLOWER
PIXEL JUNK EDEN MOSNTER
SUPERSTARDUST HD

LittleBigPlanet
add:

future purchases:

GRAN TURISMO 5 (Gran Turismo is one of my all-time favorite franchises, so it was inevitable)
God of War 3
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XIV (maybe?)

added a few titles. MUST PLAYS

We've come a long way baby.

BEFORE
3839225535_986f87aba0.jpg

droopy_happy.jpg

AFTER
glavine299.jpg

droopy.jpg

Gwanatu T

Liquidus said:
BC is confirmed not to be coming.

Oh well, that's what my PS2 Slim is for. I always wanted nice upscaled PS2 BC but I guess that's what emulators on the PC are for. I've only got Okami to beat in my PS2 collection and it's finalized anyway, so it's not a big loss.

Doytch

Just sold my 360 last night for a good price. Pawning off the games on Goozex now, and gonna pick up a Slim when I get back to Canada.

Q: What lower-profile games are worth checking out? I haven't followed the PS3 at all, so though I know about stuff like LBP, KZ and Pixeljunk stuff, I don't know anything about the mid-tier stuff that could be interesting. Short & sweet is fine, downloadable is good, not too interested in MP since I do that on my PC mostly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I like the design of the slim, I just wish the buttons were black to match the top, or the same silver/gray as the tray area they are in. They stand out sort of weird. Maybe its better in person?

noah111

Still Alive
AndyD said:
I like the design of the slim, I just wish the buttons were black to match the top, or the same silver/gray as the tray area they are in. They stand out sort of weird. Maybe its better in person?
It's just the lighting, as the buttons are sort of reflective, I think they are similar to the PSP clear buttons a bit. It depends on your angle really, looks great in in this shot for example;

11.jpg

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Sony has got to reprint (with new boxarts) and readvertise (with the new brand) every major game they got starting with Resistence 1 and Uncharted and going from there. Come on Sony do it!

feel

Sentry said:
It's just the lighting, as the buttons are sort of reflective, I think they are similar to the PSP clear buttons a bit. It depends on your angle really, looks great in in this shot for example;

11.jpg
Dammit, I already have a ps3 but I so want to get that thing! :(

leehom

gofreak said:
A little article with anecdotes on fat availability from stores local to the writer - linking to it if only for the novelty of the picture of an empty ps3 shelf ;)

http://thegameraccess.com/ps3/ps3s-selling-out-already

I did a stock check on best buy's site for the fats in various cities out of curiousity...their wall-e/lbp bundle seems to be sold out online and I couldn't find a store with it available. The 160GB uncharted bundle is still on their site, but again couldn't find a store with it in the cities I checked. The 80GB on its own (same price as the lbp bundle) is still on the site, and still shows availability in some stores.

If that's anything to go by, if you want a fat, it might be worth looking for one sooner rather than later.
Ha..I did this as well. Surprised to see how quick the ps3 phat was sold out. Perhaps it was already sold out due to Sony not sending any shipments with the release of the slim.

Darn it.. tried to sell my 40gig PS3 to my brother last night so I could pick up the slim (he never keeps up to date on these things and only plays The Show).. .well what do you know.. he had heard about the slim and the sale was a no go. Furthermore he knows I was trying to get the best of him.

leehom

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Darn it.. tried to sell my 40gig PS3 to my brother last night so I could pick up the slim (he never keeps up to date on these things and only plays The Show).. .well what do you know.. he had heard about the slim and the sale was a no go. Furthermore he knows I was trying to get the best of him.
haha owned. I'm considering selling my 60gig to my bro and he hasn't replied, which I think means no.

I hope Gamestop has some kind of upgrade deal for the ps3 from the ps2. I have 4-5 ps2's in my house and losing one wouldn't hurt.

Releasing 2 weeks after being (officially) revealed, is this is the quickest a gaming hardware revision has come from reveal to release? The only one I can think of that was so short was the back-lit version of GBASP, which they basically didn't reveal. I remember when people started asking about its existence here at GAF, many of us thought they were just getting confused about the GB micro.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doytch said:
Q: What lower-profile games are worth checking out? I haven't followed the PS3 at all, so though I know about stuff like LBP, KZ and Pixeljunk stuff, I don't know anything about the mid-tier stuff that could be interesting. Short & sweet is fine, downloadable is good, not too interested in MP since I do that on my PC mostly.

Here's some that maybe don't show up like clockwork on everyone's recommended lists but are worth considering:

Shatter
Comet Crash
tekken 5 hd
hot shots golf out of bounds
echochrome
zen pinball
siren: blood curse
the last guy
burn zombie burn
noby noby boy
eye of judgment
trash panic

I'm sure others can add more but these are some I thought of outside of the usual suspects.

WTFing

Banned
I'm really lost now, maybe I'll sell my 20go us unit and buy this new pal model + 2 years warranty. Or keep it, I really don't know. fuuuuuuu!
299€!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
For that Sony card deal do you have to order it from Sony itself? Because the Slim is still not showing as available on their Playstation store site as far as I can see...I'd like to preorder if I can

Doytch

gofreak said:
Here's some that maybe don't show up like clockwork on everyone's recommended lists but are worth considering:

Shatter
Comet Crash
tekken 5 hd
hot shots golf out of bounds
echochrome
zen pinball
siren: blood curse
the last guy
burn zombie burn
noby noby boy
eye of judgment
trash panic

I'm sure others can add more but these are some I thought of outside of the usual suspects.

Thanks. Only heard of a few of those, so that's exactly what I was looking for. Bookmarking and will check out the demos.

Woodsy

Banned
leehom said:
haha owned. I'm considering selling my 60gig to my bro and he hasn't replied, which I think means no.

I hope Gamestop has some kind of upgrade deal for the ps3 from the ps2. I have 4-5 ps2's in my house and losing one wouldn't hurt.

Pretty sure my original 20GB (upgraded to 160 GB) is going up on ebay tonight. If I can get $250 out of it, it's gone.

Diagol

Tarin02543 said:
Apparantly the fan noise is only 3 to 5 decibels lower than the old 60 gb unit. A silent system would be my only reason to purchase a slim so I will hold out until a 2nd or 3rd generation Slim.

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-with-the-playstation-3-slim-145005.phtml

This thing is quiet. Scary quiet. "WTF, is it even on?" quiet. Nick thinks the optical drive makes just a bit more noise than the original when inserting or ejecting a disc, but it didn't seem any louder to me. Either way, once your game or movie is in there, the thing is virtually silent.

Keep in mind we were pretty busy with this today and didn't exactly get to jump into any eight-hour gaming sessions, but we certainly played it. You'll probably be as impressed with its inaudibility as we were. I'd venture to say it's even quieter than the Wii.

Top Bottom