• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

You guys and girls and making me feel better about my Firewatch PC purchase. I really wanted on PS4 too.

Hate to say it, but me too. I was anticipating this game for a few months as something to enjoy on PS4, and at the last minute switched to Steam once I read about the performance issues. Now I feel like I'm "cheating" on the PS4 and it will be giving me the evil eye as I sit there and play on PC.

Fisty

Ah damn the FW theme isnt included in the 18$ version? Damn i really wanted it but only got 20... is it the best theme ever?

Lunar FC

How is everything enjoying it so far?

Only managed to play through day one but loved it. Picked up everything I could.

The intro
hit me hard, especially having an ex by the name of Julia and a family member who suffred from dementia.

Edit: Also enjoy playing it with a DS4 on my PC.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I took an hour to play a bit on my lunch break. As others have mentioned PS4 performance is not good. I didn't have any crashes but it stutters and tears lot and takes quite a while to load into the next day. The camera controls don't feel very good either.

I hope there is a patch soon.

taoofjord

Really early in but this leaves an awful first impression. I'm playing it on PS4 and the frame rate is pretty erratic so far. My main issue, though, is the terrible interface for the intro. There's a really basic UI screw up which also doesn't feel good to use. Not loving the storytelling either but coming off of The Witness it feels really weird playing a game with a story so forceful even though it's offering you choice.

I hope the frame rate gets better, I regret not getting this on PC now. It looks similar visually to The Witness so I was expecting a similar quality in performance but that's likely my fault.

painey

This game might finally convince me to pick up a PS4. There's just too many games now that are skipping the Xbox One that I want to play

Played 3 hours strait OW BOY THIS GAME MY EMOTIONS ! :D:D:D :')

HOLY SHIT man sooooo gooood :D:D:D <3 it so far, amazing preferences and so so so well written.

wow just the opening alone had me hooked like that already.

(PC max settings btw)

Freeman76

So many people wasting a one-time experience. I'm baffled.

They arent really wasting the experience though, they would clearly rather watch someone else play through it than buy it themselves.

PS4 performance is rubbish. The game looks great, has a very interesting premise, but the jank is real, too real, and i may even wait for a patch before getting too far in this one. Coming from the witness this is the opposite in terms of smoothness.

lt519

Do I play on PC with a quad core i5-2320 3.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, SSD, and a GT 545 1GB DDR5 or go for the PS4 version?

I typically reserve my PC for indies that don't appear on consoles but with the poor PS4 performance wondering if I'll get better performance on my PC with that. I can live with some stuttering and framerate drops to have the better visuals since it's not a FPS or anything. If the entire game is hampered on the PS4 though..

Performance on PS4 went up dramatically when i disabled auto save. Unfortunately the game is so damn good i forgot to save for an hour and then crashed to blue screen.

I just beat this on PS4 and really liked it! Unfortunately it crashed about 10 seconds into the credits. Anybody have a YouTube link for the credits? I know that's weird but I would like to see them.

Woffls

See my reply above on this page, make sure you update the controller and most importantly select Gamepad in the Settings Menu. Had your same issue till I did those things.
Fixed - thanks so much. Controller not getting updated by Windows update is insane :\

gabbo

So I guess this is for Chris, Jake, and whoever else can answer from CS, will the game be out on other PC services like GOG, etc?

leng jai

Conflicted on if I should get this for PC or PS4... On one hand, PC version apparently runs better... on the other, PS4 means I can play on a TV/relax... plus that sweet theme...

Embrace the comfy couch way of life and never have to debate about this again.

Yogg

They arent really wasting the experience though, they would clearly rather watch someone else play through it than buy it themselves.

I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the viewers are watching this because they like the channel or because they're hyped about the game on release day. And I'm pretty sure tons of people will ask "is this game any good" or "should I get this game" in the chat, while being spoiled the content of said game, as it usually happens. Ultimately some of them will regret having watched it when they eventually get the game, or when they hear the reactions of friends really discovering it for the first time.

edit: people do randomly browse twitch channels, and when a game is second on the list, the number of clueless people that will accidentaly end up spoilering themselves before they realize what they're watching must be pretty high.

Hellers

PC version here. Just played through it in one sitting. Loved it. The interplay between Henry and Delilah was fantastic.

Short but worth every penny for me.

Nuke Soda

Downloading the game now. Know virtually nothing about it other than the basic plot overview and I have to say it is nice being in the dark about a game for a change.

Melchiah

I really dislike how the game hurries you to choose the dialogue option, and proceeds without if you're not quick enough. What's the point?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I really dislike how the game hurries you to choose the dialogue option, and proceeds without if you're not quick enough. What's the point?

I've found the timers extremely liesurely. I have time to vape and put away the map before I make a choice.

Feeling like we're coming up on the final part. Taking a break for now. Really love what I've played so far. The pacing and momentum are big achievement.

Melchiah

I've found the timers extremely liesurely. I have time to vape and put away the map before I make a choice.

The first one came as a surprise, and made me immediately think about starting all over. I prefer to have time to weigh the options.

Hellers

There's one really annoying bug I found in the PC version. If you try to read an object while on the radio to Delilah it'll often get stuck on the read page for the object and the only way to get out is to alt-f4

iFirez

I just finished the game, it took me literally 4 hours exactly.

Loved every second of it. Heartfelt, well crafted and thought provoking.

PS4 version sure has issues. But damn....the story is great so far and the game is slow paced. Normally I hate stutter and framedrops, but this game is far too good to miss out on. Very eager to know how the game will continue, I'm hooked.

NeoRausch

Aaaannd The game hang up on me on loading Day 9 (PS4). Got stuck while loading.
What's the GAF name of camp Santo? I mean it's not a biggie, just wanted to report.

CreativeSK

Neo Member
just finished the pc version on my tv with a xbox one controller. really the way to go. took me about 4 hours and i loved every second of it! too bad it's already over :( could have easily played another 4 :)

thenexus6

Just finished
Day Two
my no spoiler first impressions..

> Game is beautiful.

> The atmosphere, voice acting and music are top notch. The moment I heard the music in the opening I was sold on buying the soundtrack on band camp.

> The UI / overall slickness to everything is awesome. The game oozes style.

> Game runs pretty quiet on the PS4.

> Just walking around, using the map and talking is extremely satisfying. Makes a very welcome change from all the killing and fast pace games I normally play.

> Very noticeable rough edges, slow down and stutter on the PS4 version. Its like the game is trying to catch its breath every 40-60 seconds and you get a couple of dropped frames. It's not to the point of distraction or really annoying but is definitely noticeable.

> The whole "whip-pan" thing with the right thumb stick is a little weird to get used to.

> Some curious control choices. I wish L2 was zoom on the map, seeing as you can't use the radio while in the map. Feels weird having to use L1. I keep also missing radio prompts because I am stuck in the map and have to quickly jump out of it.

I am extremely happy so far. Cant wait to explore more!

Also easily the best theme on the PS4 i've seen. Gorgeous!

Came across this funny bug too:

https://youtu.be/RcFAysVw1B0

iFirez

Thoroughly enjoyed every second of Firewatch:
OBtjgim.jpg

End of game spoiler Panorama http://i.imgur.com/gUbAGcZ.jpg

nOoblet16

Thoroughly enjoyed every second of Firewatch:

You might want to untag the description of the link.
People might press it by mistake to see what the spoiler text is and end up opening the image.

You know a couple of pages back people were calling out guys who had an issue with people posting speculation in this thread since they wanted to go into the game blind. It felt stupid to limit even speculations in here. But you guys are discussing end game story spoilers here when there is a spoiler thread for this very purpose.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181321

Top Bottom