• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebellion still in the dark on Nintendo NX: "I know no more about NX than you do."

Vena

Nintendo should be foaming at the mouth to accomodate any developer who is remotely interested in developing games for Nintendo platforms. Because those developers are becoming extremely rare. It should be Nintendo's number one priority.

No. Not "any" this is as mindless a hyperbole as people talking about "not needing them".

Schnozberry

Nintendo should be foaming at the mouth to accomodate any developer who is remotely interested in developing games for Nintendo platforms. Because those developers are becoming extremely rare. It should be Nintendo's number one priority.

From the quote in the OP, do you get the impression that Rebellion is particularly interested?

sense

Umm, I don't know how to answer that without being super sarcastic, haha. Pretty sure Nintendo wants to control their own messaging, no matter what the time frame.

Haha, I suppose quality was the wrong word. I meant software that has a higher chance of making money and catching the public eye.

what nintendo needs is a solid platform with a continous flow of games and should be easy to develop for. the point is a lot of studios had access to ps4 and xb1 devkits and the information that did leak didn't really matter in the end. i am not saying go to rebellion or any other dev and reveal your entire plan but prototype devkits to start making games shouldn't be a huge risk.

The whole "Nintendo will embrace third parties, yo" was and will always be a pipe dream. What's the point? Activision and EA's audience don't play on Nintendo and Nintendo's audience don't play Activision or EA games (Skylanders being the exception). That's the reason big franchises like Madden or COD are seen as potential killer apps for Xbox's and Playstations and not on Nintendo. That's not even what Nintendo's trying to do right now. They probably aren't focusing on third parties. They want other people to experience their IP. NX will just be another way of doing so.
The point is to sell more consoles and games. Not reaching out to 3rd parties isn't going to help with that.

DrWong

Certainly never used to be the case; while I was there there were times when I was hopping between multiple projects, going where my skills were needed.

Things did always feel a bit frosty to Nintendo at the company - although that perception might be in part due to one of my producers who was quite... vocally opinionated about them. It was the case that we had to jump through hoops to support their hardware, though - the endianness difference between Gamecube and Xbox/PS2 was a pain in the arse.
Thx for the anecdote :]
I didn't meant in the studio history but lately. I should have said "one franchise studio".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Admittedly I'm not a GAF sales expert, but doesn't third party support play a key role in the success of a console? I'm pretty sure the idea that "exclusives don't sell consoles" tends to turn up pretty frequently in the NPD threads.

Nintendo doesn't give a shit about what sells PS4s, the Wii and DS were juggernauts that sold almost entirely on the back of Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Nintendogs etc. That is what Nintendo wants, a platform that can succeed based on Nintendo software alone, hence they have unified handheld and home console environments to try and double the output from their internal studios. They won't need to make 2 distinct Mario Karts, Animal Crossings, Smash Bros, 3D Marios, NSMB games, etc. They can just make one that plays on both handheld and home NX, and then make something new instead of going straight to work on another version.

My idea is that they are planning to build their own ecosystem, with first/second party games released periodically and a more diversified library. A very hard decision that could only work with strong IPs doing numbers a la WiiFit/WiiSports.
That, or they just didn't learn western third party relationship.

what nintendo needs is a solid platform with a continous flow of games and should be easy to develop for. the point is a lot of studios had access to ps4 and xb1 devkits and the information that did leak didn't really matter in the end. i am not saying go to rebellion or any other dev and reveal your entire plan but prototype devkits to start making games shouldn't be a huge risk.

The entirety of the ps4 platform hardware was known in non development circles years before the console was released. Only thing they changed since those development documents leaked was the amount of ram. Twice. And that was leaked too beforehand.

And they still need to apply to receive the documentation and then the kit. NDAs still exist

Kysen

The best way to get third party on board is to have a tiered system of preferred developers, yup that will do it /s That way you get a launch with some marquee titles and nothing else.

A perfect recipe for software droughts.

jblank83

How many "We don't know what PS4 is" declarations did we see 8 months before console release?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/15/ps4-launch-games-the-complete-list/

Considering the launch list, I'd guess there were more than a few mid-small sized developers who weren't in the know.

However, none of this discussion will lead anywhere except retreading the same old ground. Those who think Nintendo is doomed will continue to think it's Nintendoom o'clock. The only event that will change that perception is the reveal.

RulkezX

The whole "Nintendo will embrace third parties, yo" was and will always be a pipe dream. What's the point? Activision and EA's audience don't play on Nintendo and Nintendo's audience don't play Activision or EA games (Skylanders being the exception). That's the reason big franchises like Madden or COD are seen as potential killer apps for Xbox's and Playstations and not on Nintendo. That's not even what Nintendo's trying to do right now. They probably aren't focusing on third parties. They want other people to experience their IP. NX will just be another way of doing so.

If that's the case then the console is doomed to be another WiiU sorry of them pulling another lightning in a bottle scenario like they did with OGWii

ngower

This is such a non-story, GAF, come on!

Paired with the fiscal year thread from earlier today it's like everyone's getting pissed that NX might not release this year, completely disregarding the fact that it's 2016 launch is entirely speculative with barely an inkling to support the idea that it would be released, outside of a floundering Wii U. Nintendo aren't going to rush the NX.

Further, Rebellion not having a dev kit doesn't mean third party support is non-existent and the system will be doomed to fail. Pump the brakes everyone!

Vena

How many "We don't know what PS4 is" declarations did we see 8 months before console release?

There's an info hunger and fervor surrounding the NX that didn't exist around the then completely leaked PS4.

As such we have devs getting interviewed regularly while all the same hearing about scary NDAs. This is effectively a catch 22. Those who know won't interview. Those who don't will.

Ushojax

If that's the case then the console is doomed to be another WiiU sorry of them pulling another lightning in a bottle scenario like they did with OGWii

If a company like Microsoft has accepted they can't compete directly with the PS4, how is Nintendo supposed to?

Their only way out of their current malaise is to somehow build a platform that can take its IPs to a wide audience. The whole company has changed in the last few years to try and make that possible, with amiibo, theme parks, mobile games, films, all kinds of new projects that they hope will feed into making NX a heathy platform for Nintendo's games.

Schnozberry

Early PS4 dev kits were out about a year before release to major publishers. Smaller publishers and indies didn't know much about the console until Sony had their info blowout livestream in February of 2013, about 9 months before release. Final Dev Kits released in July of 2013, and that's when they started handing them out like candy to indies and anyone who could get a hold of one.

Rebellion not knowing much about it isn't really shocking at all.

Why wouldn't they? Seriously, Nintendo's just coming off the worst industry bomb since the Sega Saturn. They should be reaching out to every developer possible.

How many video game developers exist in the world? Every developer possible would be countless unless you're qualifying them. How big is big enough, how small is too small.

sense

There's an info hunger and fervor surrounding the NX that didn't exist around the then completely leaked PS4.

As such we have devs getting interviewed regularly while all the same hearing about scary NDAs. This is effectively a catch 22. Those who know won't interview. Those who don't will.

lol. people were hungry for every little detail behind ps4 and xb1 before their reveals.

I assume reaching out would mean they hope to correct that.

-Horizon-

I mean if nintendo really wants whatever the NX is to be secret, then it would be wise for them to not give it to everyone and their grandmother. Otherwise that just increases the chances for leaks a la durango and orbis. You can be sure if every dev that applies for an NX got one, we would know at least 90% what the system is by now. At most, I can see them courting the larger devs to begin with and let the other devs find out for themselves. Is it counterproductive? Maybe? idk, I don't run a multi-million dollar company.

jblank83

Also that's not how it works... The are around 200 developers on PS VR list, Do you expect 200 games at launch?

No, and I don't expect every dev to be included in pre-reveal hardware/development details. This is the way it's been forever, with just about every company.

Nere

Companies like Rebellion are not the kind of third parties that Nintendo is aiming at with NX, they want indies, mobile developers and Japanese studios rather than large Western companies. There is no market for Rebellion's type of games on Nintendo hardware, there won't be for years if ever.

Nintendo isn't at the position to choose who they need and who they don't. They need everyone, what kind of logic is that to exclude some companies because they aren't that big?

jdstorm

Banned
I think its more likely they aren't sending any dev kits to 3rd party developers at all.

probably 3 or 4 at most.

I'm not knowledgeable in this area at all. But from the supposed rumours the NX like the WiiU before it will have full unity support. If you have already made a game in a supported engine can't you just copy paste then tweak minor things like frame rate, resolution ect to get it working?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is such a non-story, GAF, come on!

Paired with the fiscal year thread from earlier today it's like everyone's getting pissed that NX might not release this year, completely disregarding the fact that it's 2016 launch is entirely speculative with barely an inkling to support the idea that it would be released, outside of a floundering Wii U. Nintendo aren't going to rush the NX.

Further, Rebellion not having a dev kit doesn't mean third party support is non-existent and the system will be doomed to fail. Pump the brakes everyone!

Rebellion isn't the first third party to say that. A couple of other devs has echoed the comment earlier.

pvpness

Lol. That's a whole bunch of "ifs." They won't be developing anything for the NX, just like most western 3rd party devs I'd bet. It makes sense to think the level of 3rd party support for the NX will be just like the Wii U, or worse. Poor support isn't a trend anymore, it's the reality of the Nintendo platform. Hopefully Nintendo understands this and is planning according (finally).

Hoo-doo

Banned

You serious with this? I think your perception might be a tiny bit skewed on this one.
I can't remember seeing such a tepid post-announcement hypetrain like we're seeing right now with the NX. A ton of people seemingly already expect it to hit the market with a wet thud and expectations are comically low.

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that Rebellion simply hasn't been approached by Nintendo for development yet. Which is odd seeing as they have shipped products on both Wii and Wii-U.

Anth0ny

just so we all know, this doesn't mean shit when it comes to selling consoles. Being all secretive and shit doesn't help anyone.

The way Sony handled the unveiling, launch hype and behind the scenes in 2013 for PS4 was perfect from top to bottom. The more Nintendo deviates from that strategy, the more likely they will fail. That's just the way I see it.

Nintendo continues to be old fashioned with this insane secrecy for a console that launches in 8 months. If we don't get any tidbits this week coming out of GDC, I'd be shocked. This is the time they should be talking to EVERY third party on the planet.

Unison

If NX is a unified platform, third-party support should be less of an issue.

It's easier for a first-party to put out a steady stream of software for one platform than two.

diaspora

So we should confine it only to developers who have released games on a Nintendo system before? Seems counter productive. Shouldn't we be reaching out and collaborating with as many developers as possible?
They're reaching out to bigger publishers like EA, AFAIK.

-Horizon-

Nintendo isn't at the position to choose who they need and who they don't. They need everyone, what kind of logic is that to exclude some companies because they aren't that big?
Hey Nintendo, I'm a dev (only one person) but I have a notebook full of ideas. Give me an NX devkit! I'll make a game. Eventually! Trust me.

Multiply that by a couple thousand or more and you realize just giving out devkits is really costly.

I was a QA Tester on Rogue Trooper for these people.

That's all I have to add to this discussion.
Honest question: Was it fun? I have no exact idea what QA testers go through but I can imagine myself getting sick of playing the same game or stage for hours on end just to find bugs.

Ninja Dom

Anyway. What has Rebellion done for Nintendo in the past? Why should they be so privy to NX plans? I'd pipe down if I was them.

Sniper Elite V2. But Rebellion and Nintendo aren't friends. Not good friends. Anyway.

Ushojax

So you agree then?

I agree that it would be unwise to try and compete directly with PlayStation at this point in time. Nintendo is not in a fit state to do that right now. It's much more important for the company's future that they focus on making their own franchises popular again rather than trying to get the top end sports/action games from third parties that would sell like shit anyway.

Nintendo have never thought they needed anyone other than themselves to make a successful platform, that hasn't changed. Nintendo's ethos as a company will not change just because the Wii U and the 3DS flopped.

AmFreak

But aren't the 'big dogs' like Ubi and EA in the know about it though? Maybe it's just a few developers that don't know about it yet. I sure hope that's the case.

I think the total absence of leaks is far more concerning and a strong hint regarding the 'big dogs' not having dev kits.

All dev kits require application paperwork and NDA. In the case of a pre launch secretive product, there is a fairly prohibitive NDA in place.

If this studio hasn't applied, they aren't going to know anything. Why would they? The product isn't out or even revealed yet.

But this has been nintendo's problem in the past. Their way or the highway.
That model hasn't worked for 20 years.

Sony went and asked developers what they wanted PS4 to be. They gave out subsidised dev kits to indies.
Nintendo should be pounding down peoples doors and getting in everyone's ear about the NX. Instead they pick and choose.

I recall a bonus round from 2013(?) where Geoff Keighley asked someone from Bethesda what Nintendo could do to turn around the Wii U. His response was that it was too late. They should have been doing something 2 years prior.

Yado

Um, yes they are. Do you seriously think they should be revealing details of an unreleased product to every developer, big or small?

NateDrake

just so we all know, this doesn't mean shit when it comes to selling consoles. Being all secretive and shit doesn't help anyone.

The way Sony handled the unveiling, launch hype and behind the scenes in 2013 for PS4 was perfect from top to bottom. The more Nintendo deviates from that strategy, the more likely they will fail. That's just the way I see it.

Nintendo continues to be old fashioned with this insane secrecy for a console that launches in 8 months. If we don't get any tidbits this week coming out of GDC, I'd be shocked. This is the time they should be talking to EVERY third party on the planet.
Who is to say they aren't talking with third parties at GDC? If the NDA is tight, then don't expect leaks. Silence doesn't mean nothing is happening behind the scenes. The fact remains that we don't know what is happening or who Nintendo is or has talked with. We know the NDA is insane on NX and no company or employee worth a damn is going to risk leaking information because people on gaming forums want information.

-Horizon-

But this has been nintendo's problem in the past. Their way or the highway.
That model hasn't worked for 20 years.

Sony went and asked developers what they wanted PS4 to be. They gave out subsidised dev kits to indies.
Nintendo should be pounding down peoples doors and getting in everyone's ear about the NX. Instead they pick and choose.

I recall a bonus round from 2013(?) where Geoff Keighley asked someone from Bethesda what Nintendo could do to turn around the Wii U. His response was that it was too late. They should have been doing something 2 years prior.

Honest question: When exactly did they start giving out ps4 devkits before the official reveal?

Ninja Dom

Honest question: Was it fun? I have no exact idea what QA testers go through but I can imagine myself getting sick of playing the same game or stage for hours on end just to find bugs.

Honest answer: It was okay. The game actually wasn't too bad in the end. You test it for around 6-9 months but it's not really until around month 5 or 6 that you have an actual "game" with progression. Before you're just testing bits and pieces and doing LOTS of collision and wall/boundary testing to make sure players don't fall out of the world.

Well...that was 10 years ago now.

Anyway. What has Rebellion done for Nintendo in the past? Why should they be so privy to NX plans? I'd pipe down if I was them.

Sniper Elite V2. But Rebellion and Nintendo aren't friends. Not good friends. Anyway.

Sniper Elite is a multi-million selling franchise. Nintendo is in no position to be playing favourites based on what developers have done for them in the past.

EhoaVash

Lol I'm okay with NX having no 3rd party support. I hardly buy 3rd party games. But atleast I hope they try to get all the various latest game engines to run on the thing ie ue4 etc

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So NX and PSVR are due for sale around the same time. Most developers know about psvr and no one knows a peep about NX. This thing will not even be a serious challenge against Xbox One, never mind PS4

Top Bottom