• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku89

Okay, let's try to figure out exactly how some games would function on this thing:

Splatoon: I assume they're keeping with the gyro, so that stays the same. I'm also assuming there's still ZR and ZL triggers (below the scroll wheels) for squid form and shooting. The scroll wheels might be able to turn horizontally quickly (or you can use the left stick); also click on scroll for sub weapon. Click on right stick to jump. 2 haptic buttons (reset camera and special). Map jump stays the same.

Conclusion: Not really too much different, but doesn't really make it better (except maybe the scroll wheel). They could also change a bit of the gameplay to better suit the new controller.

Mario: Left stick move; right stick click to jump; 1 haptic button to run; ZL/ZR to pound. Plus, anything else they want to add.

Conclusion: Seems worse; how to run and jump easily? 2 haptic buttons at the same time sounds like a nightmare. Use a trigger to jump or run? Doesn't seem like it would work too well or accurate.

Zelda: Camera control same as Splatoon (gyro, scroll wheel, etc); access to inventory on screen; second scroll wheel changes inventory easily; haptic buttons for attack and check. Or, you could hold the controller in your hand like a wiimote and swing it around like SS.

Conclusion: Seems a bit better, but only because of the scroll wheel.

Overall, it seems the controller might be better because of the scroll wheel, but the no buttons really make it difficult to replicate other actions, no matter how good the haptic feedback is. Even if they add just one real button on the front, it would solve a lot of issues. I like the design (though it looks a little uncomfortable). Hope it works out for them.

I must admit that fake or not, I quite like the design of it. Doesn't look any worse to hold for gaming than a standard touchscreen phone, at least it's not vertical.

I like that the faker put finger smudges on the screen where the buttons would appear.

(mat)

Why would you want to stick nipples in your eyeballs?

28c2fe903ce2e33d277329a253ce955026e466be.gif

It's a pretty good fab though. Also presented much better than the previous one. Solid work overall, IMO.
Lol, people think 3D printers are magic

If you've ever actually used one you'd know actual 3D printed objects have a great deal of minor flaws - plastic burrs, inconsistent sheen, etc.

The materials are inferior to actual plastics factories

These devices are flawless. If they're faked then they weren't done on a 3D printer

Liam isn't really someone that I hold in high esteem when it comes to leaking information. I'm not sure why people believe everything he says.

That being said, I hate leaks, but I also love them because GAF is so crazy. I remember the months before the Wii U. It was good stuff. Nintendo GAF is always good people, despite the crazy amount of hyperbole. Real or fake, it's all good fun.

sviri

Not sure about the lack of face buttons, but there is no way I am skipping out on the NX. I need Nintendo and they need us.

Oare

Next reveal: 4 to 8 physical buttons on the backside with great ergonomics. Plus haptic feedback that works on the frontside.

And suddenly the entire negative crowd starts back pedaling like the fate of the world is at stake. "OMG", they yell, "so much potential!"

If that controller is real it could be neat. Opens up the possibility of multiplayer games where people can use their phones as controllers.

Diffense

As unusual as the lack of face buttons seems, if it's true, I'm willing to give it a chance.

If the sticks on the NX controller are really "pushy" and button-like they could perform some of the functions of the face buttons (which you could never press at the same time as the right stick anyway in usual layouts). Imagine, for example, if pressing the stick in the neutral position disables the camera control function while pushing it in any of the four directions, while pressed, activates some button-like function (which could be labeled on the touchscreen). That could probably work. Touchscreen buttons could be used for minor additional controls like inventory management (and Inkstrike launching ;) ).

The prime real-estate on any controller are the places directly under your thumbs and index fingers since those are usually our strongest, most versatile fingers. This controller design could be putting more complex knobs in those positions (button-like sticks and scrollable triggers) while eliminating physical buttons from most other positions. So your thumb and index fingers never really move far from their home positions but they'd do more where they are. It's not exactly like a smartphone because there are physical buttons just no face buttons. So I think that one would have to have experience with the controller to really evaluate it. Do other design decisions make up for the lack of face buttons?

Ivan 3414

Why are people saying the Treehouse retweet means it's fake? These people may not even know anything about internal affairs, R&D, prototypes and such. I assumed they're basically just PR demo people that set up the stage at E3..

Absolutely not. Treehouse is involved with localization of Nintendo games; only recently have they taken PR up.

If NX is coming this year then I'd bet they have a few NX games in their hands.

Newline

Do we have any other reasons to be believing that it is definitely a fake now besides Liam Robertson? I'm having trouble keeping up with the quickness of the thread at work!
Nope, deniers just lept on that random tweet and are now back in denial.

RhyDin

He's just playing with us and watching the chaos.

Seriously. If someone admitted "it's real", they have absolutely nothing to gain. The internet will be in a frenzy and we'll go into E3 with little surprises (assuming they don't have some redeeming factor and this isn't the wow of the NX) and the wind will be taken out of Nintendo's sails.

At least if it is denied, or nobody says anything, it won't chart blogs and news sites as fanatically and reach as widespread an audience to the mainstream.

Said real from the start, still going with it.

I wonder if the photographer is trying to give us a little hint about what we're looking at with this HDMI cable in this photo?

And it was nice of them to show it under light in this photo. Is that edge where the screen awkwardly cuts off? Or is that the reflection of the lamp?

I think the screen "awkwardly cuts off" because it's reflecting the monitor behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom