• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I had to make it

dF8B2vl.png

This is fantastic.

Pls add my name as a watermark thx

THIS. GAME. IS. SO. GOOD.

Don't sit on the fence for this one, if you want a great single player campaign then vote with your wallet, buy this game and enjoy the hell (pun intended) out of it!

It plays great for me on ps4 btw. The game is real eye candy. I hope this one doesn't end up in the forgotten black hole of the bargain bin, they deserve all the $$$ for this one.

Glass

I had literally zero interest in this game until these insane reactions started popping up at release, now I'm seeing gameplay with that amazing heavy music accompanying it and I don't think I can resist much longer.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I love double jump. I don't know why but it's so satisfying to me. A few hours in and the steam controller is holding up really well. I feel pretty natural playing like this now.

Vipu

Banned
Is there volume sliders for music etc?
If there isnt im not gonna buy it until there is.
I heard that music is barely hearable many times and music is so awesome in this.
Plz tell me there is volume slider or any other way to change music volume.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I heard that music is barely hearable many times and music is so awesome in this.

there are volume sliders for SFX, Music, and Voices.
just turn SFX and Voices down, turn sound up and leave Music at 100. That's what I did. PS4 version

dlauv

I wasn't sure how I felt. On Ultra Violence, the game feels a bit easy. Way too easy using M&K. But on Nightmare it's a little too punishing. It feels like the difficulty comes less from upfront difficulty and more from being pot-shotted due to lack of spacial awareness. So, I've been using a pad on Ultra Violence, and my response has been a bit lukewarm. I love looking for secrets and the level design is just top notch, but I wanted more out of the combat.

When you go
to Hell
, the game really starts to impress with encounter variety and enemy numbers. It's good stuff. I just wish the AI were more aggressive, especially the Mancubi. I'm not a fan of how you can basically stun-lock the Revenants either. Barons of Hell are handled a bit too much like Hell Knights (I know that's explained in the "lore," but it's mechanically not terribly interesting). The encounters really benefit from Cacodemons and their aerial pestering. Pinkies go down a bit too easily too. But these are somewhat minor critiques. I'm still enjoying myself a lot. The weapons and stage challenges bring a lot to it too.

Woorloog

Banned

Barely hearable? IMO it drowns out other sound too often. And that's with 70% volume... Lowering it makes more atmospheric pieces impossible to hear though.

Sound mix in this game is kinda weak. The gun sounds are reasonably good but the mix overall...

NJD316

Neo Member
I'm sure this has been mentioned but I love the subtle characterisation in this game.

Scientist robot guy: "We opened up hell for the benefit of mankind!"

Doom Guy: *looks down at eviscerated Mars base worker*

leng jai

Barely hearable? IMO it drowns out other sound too often. And that's with 70% volume... Lowering it makes more atmospheric pieces impossible to hear though.

Sound mix in this game is kinda weak. The gun sounds are reasonably good but the mix overall...

The mixing is definitely questionable, but then again I have an issue with the mixing of most video games. Bass basically drowns out all the atmospheric sounds unless you're using headphones.

Woorloog

Banned
The mixing is definitely questionable, but then again I have an issue with the mixing of most video games. Bass basically drowns out all the atmospheric sounds unless you're using headphones.

I can't recall having such issue with most games, with or without headphones.

This and Wolfenstein are those rare games where i do take notice of the soundmix...

Nuszka

Got the game on release date but haven't much time to play it, i am on 4th level. So far impressions... This is fucking amazing, the soundtrack, graphics, level design, but by far the most thing that impressed me was how they managed to implement that twitch-skill based shooting in to the campaign. I play the game with a happy grin on my face and goosebumps on my back. Hope the rest of the game keeps that pace. I totally forgot that i have Uncharted 4.

Mdk7

So, I eventually beat the game during the weekend.
Overall, I had a blast, and I really didn't want the campaign to end.
That's why I started replaying missions in search of collectibles and secrets, I want to get those 1000G points on this baby (and I usually NEVER, EVER do).
And then I wouldn't mind a run at Nightmare, I unlocked the Ultra Nightmare achievement and had lots of fun doing that, so hopefully the challenge will be entertaining.
Plus I'm among those that really loved the multiplayer Beta, so I want to jump on that part as well.

Anyway, the game is really solid and it's pretty much another Wolfenstein TNO, and surely already among the surprises of the year.
I personally have just two minor complains:
1) The ending is really underwhelming, considering how much I enjoyed the rest of the story.
I understand the idea of leaving things open for a possible sequel (that now I hope even more it will see the light) and I never trusted that AI in the first place, but ending things like that felt kinda like a cockblock, LOL.
2) The IDKFA achievement is not unlocking for me (on Xbox One) despite having met all the possible requirements. :/
Seems it's happing to other players as well, I hope they can fix the problem via patch.

Man, this game throws the kitchen sink at you sometimes. It's fun, though.

I'm on mission 8 now, after two sessions. I still need to try SnapMap, but have played some multiplayer. I hope to beat it later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Question: Is the BFG hard to find?

Mdk7

Man, this game throws the kitchen sink at you sometimes. It's fun, though.

I'm on mission 8 now, after two sessions. I still need to try SnapMap, but have played some multiplayer. I hope to beat it later tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Question: Is the BFG hard to find?

If you mean in the campaign, it's literally impossible to miss.

Justinh

Just finished it this morning. 30 hours according to steam. Still have a few more secrets I need to figure out. Also, a few more of the level challenges too
Two Barons of Hell with one shot? I did that, though. Does BFG ejaculate not count?

God...
Dammit...
This was a fan[REDACTED]tastic game. If they released more "episodes" as DLC, well, that would just be more than perfect.

Just finished it this morning. 30 hours according to steam. Still have a few more secrets I need to figure out. Also, a few more of the level challenges too
Two Barons of Hell with one shot? I did that, though. Does BFG ejaculate not count?

God...
Dammit...
This was a fan[REDACTED]tastic game. If they released more "episodes" as DLC, well, that would just be more than perfect.

Should. It's how I got the late game challenge
'thread the needle' for 8 kills with one shot. If it doesn't though, rail gun siege mode will do it.

I can't recall having such issue with most games, with or without headphones.

This and Wolfenstein are those rare games where i do take notice of the soundmix...

In a related question...

Anyone know if the game is Dolby 7.1 compatible or even what standards the game has please?

Mdk7

God...
Dammit...

Can you use the BFG for the Barons challenge or not? It's not clear to me, and I still need to do that! :d

ramshot

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

Arkanius

Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. It's amazing getting that feeling of having that you're so much in control that a normal person wouldn't even be able to tell what the hell is happening on my screen. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

I make your words mine.

Last night I was in a frenzy during one hell packed arena section. I was seriously not eve thinking, I was just chaining kills, changing weapons, kicking ass and chewing buble gum.

When it's over I scream. So much adrenaline, I haven't had this in such a long time. God damn.

RIP AND TEAR

Nokterian

Holy crap.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. It's amazing getting that feeling of having that you're so much in control that a normal person wouldn't even be able to tell what the hell is happening on my screen. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

34 years old here the PC version is indeed glorious this game takes me back to when i was young playing doom 1 and 2. Nice summary i was hugely skeptical at first but i have to say they delivered with this game.

Justinh

The rune trials are way too hard. Nope, not doing them anymore.

Oh man, the worst one I had to get through was the one where you
only had a shotgun and 1 health.

That one took me forever and the only way I could finish it was to
bait the last pinky demon to run off the ledge.
I literally beat it with 1 second to spare. So glad to get that one out of the way.

That said, I just know I'm going to be hating life when I try to do them with a controller.

trial spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/s8x60Oi.gif

zeioIIDX

So the Argent Facility data entry 003 found later in the game is both disturbing and humorous. I love the subtle humor in this game.

Top Bottom