• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD TRAILER LEVEL UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Discotheque said:
I think this film might flop pretty bad at the Box Office though.

Up against The Expendables AND stars Michael Cera. Audiences are sick of him as witnessed by his poor Box Office results.

347ivwx.jpg

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
I have to admit, after watching the trailer a few times, there are some parts that Cera seems to fit in the Pilgrim character. I'll get a screenshot later, but there are looks that have him seem actually angry, rather than the comedically annoyed look he has for the past however many films he's done. Alpha Counter with SFA3 announcing KO knocked my fucking sox off.

Danielsan said:
I just wish he [Cera] showed some range and would play Scott as... well as the Scott portrayed in the comic.

7Th said:
Scott is a loud and extremely expressive guy with the mentality of a child. Cera always plays the same quiet awkward loser that can't get his emotions across, he couldn't be a worse fit.

I really enjoyed the trailer, but I agree with the statements above. This is the issue I have had with the film since they announced Cera in the cast. I think Edgar Wright is a good director and he understands the source material. Unfortunately, people in hollywood want a name actor in films and Cera was picked. To be fair, this film could of turned into the "Halo" project that even Peter Jackson couldn't get off the ground or even run into the trouble that "Fanboys" had. This film seems to be ready to go.

dmshaposv

7Th said:
Scott is a loud and extremely expressive guy with the mentality of a child.

so why the fuck didn't they cast JAMES FRANCO??

quickly it is not too late. Someone send a clip from freaks and geeks to Wright.

DarwinMayflower said:
I have to admit, after watching the trailer a few times, there are some parts that Cera seems to fit in the Pilgrim character. I'll get a screenshot later, but there are looks that have him seem actually angry, rather than the comedically annoyed look he has for the past however many films he's done. Alpha Counter with SFA3 announcing KO knocked my fucking sox off.
Yea, if you watch the trailer and want to see Scott, you will. If you watch and want you will see Cera, you will.

I think Cera is horribly miscast and doesn't look at all the part, but it'd be silly to think he doesn't understand the character and I'm sure he's trying his best. I really do think it's just the trailer highlighting especially meek parts.

Salsa

_dementia said:
grazie

hey, was that "KO" sample from DOA4?

SF Alpha 3

edit: Oh beaten. Funny thing, i had it as a ringtone but changed it, as i was watching the trailer i said wtf ? looked at my cellphone, realize it was in the movie -> OMFG

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's a link to some early reviews.

At the time this was published, we’ve already posted a total of 25 overwhelmingly positive reader reviews of an early cut of Edgar Wright’s Scott Pilgrim vs. The World from test screenings (you can read part one here, part two here). Beyond that, we’ve posted mini reviews from filmmakers Jason Reitman and Greg Mottola.

But what about Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino? Smith is usually one of the first filmmakers to weigh in on all the geek movies (Watchmen, The Dark Knight…etc), and Tarantino… was apparently at the same screening. So what did they think?

The Film Stage talked to Smith about his reaction to Edgar’s new film, and here is an excerpt of what he said:

“That movie is great. It’s spellbinding and nobody is going to understand what the fuck just hit them. I would be hard pressed to say,”he’s bringing a comic book to life!” but he is bringing a comic book to life. If you’ve ever seen Scott Pilgrim, he did a fucking damn fine job of taking essentially an anime looking book and putting it into the real world while keeping everything about that book that’s kind of cool and what pops. He describes it as Say Anything meets Kill Bill and he’s not that far from accuracy. The chick who plays Knives, the little Asian girl, she’s going to be a star. She is adorable in the movie … Michael Cera is really great. He’s also doing something that’s different from what most people know him as in terms of the character. He’s a little more self assured and Bugs Bunny-like than George Michael. The fight scenes are fun. It’s just a fucking good time, man.”

And what about Tarantino? All we have is Kevin’s word on his reaction:

“I mean Quentin loves everything. He’s a true movie fan and if you wanna talk about a true believer, good lord. He’s the original true believer. He was really into it.”

I really can’t wait to see this movie.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Discotheque said:

Up against The Expendables AND stars Michael Cera. Audiences are sick of him as witnessed by his poor Box Office results.
The Expendables has a way higher chance of flopping than this. If this film is PG-13, I'm calling a $40 million opening. Effects bring in the guys, hot actors bring in the girls, great source material/director means EVERYONE WINS.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Trailer One
Don't ask, just take, but be sure to call dibs on the avatar you like so there are no duplicates. ^_^

KNrbd.gif
OghIV.gif
6DCVa.gif
y8hOP.gif
SfJFb.gif
LOCMa.gif
S0eTj.gif

nlcQk.gif
VQCYn.gif
wAoYM.gif
iDIeF.gif
IcinK.gif
I6VQX.gif
qc0Dk.gif

QNBOe.gif
aOg2W.gif
L1tq6.gif

...Stacy is the hottest. ^_^

ezekial45 said:
Street Fighter Alpha 3
SalsaShark said:
SF Alpha 3

edit: Oh beaten. Funny thing, i had it as a ringtone but changed it, as i was watching the trailer i said wtf ? looked at my cellphone, realize it was in the movie -> OMFG

shoot, looks like i have to turn in my SF fan card :/
can't believe I missed that

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I never really expected to say this because I'm such a big fan... but it looks really bad.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Expendables has a way higher chance of flopping than this. If this film is PG-13, I'm calling a $40 million opening. Effects bring in the guys, hot actors bring in the girls, great source material/director means EVERYONE WINS.

This looks like it's in the same vein as Speed Racer though, a movie that was just not understood by the audience/general public.

Also The Expendables has the most fuck-awesome cast ever. Oh if only Ahnold was a main character. I'll end up watching both in theaters, but Expendables first I'd imagine.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

I think both films will become if nothing else, Huge cult movies. Im excited for both, just Scott Pilgrim way way way more.

jett

D-Member
Truant said:
If Jett is negative, it means the film is right on track. He'll love it in the end.

But I like the trailer.

Bitch.

I just think the text overlays look kinda lame. *shrug*

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
OneEightZero said:
Don't ask, just take, but be sure to call dibs on the avatar you like so there are no duplicates. ^_^

aOg2W.gif

DIBS

ezekial45

Banned
OneEightZero said:

wAoYM.gif

Mine

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Discotheque said:
This looks like it's in the same vein as Speed Racer though, a movie that was just not understood by the audience/general public.

Also The Expendables has the most fuck-awesome cast ever. Oh if only Ahnold was a main character. I'll end up watching both in theaters, but Expendables first I'd imagine.

To the general populace:
Expendables is R-rated Action Movie Hard-on for Men, particularly dedicated to the B-movie chic of the 80s.

Speed Racer was a over stylized goofy racing film based on a 40 year old, poorly dubbed cartoon.

While the source material for this is similarly obscure, it's still heavily grounded in relevant pop culture (video games + science fiction type action sequences) where romance is more apparently centralized to the story than either Expendables or SR.

I'm not saying it will hit huge (although it very well could with these suddenly big names at the helm), but I believe it will certainly be the A choice of the weekend for filmgoers, with Expendables being a B choice (or lower, depending on reviews).

Blader

Looks good. Nay, great.

Also, I disagree with the Speed Racer comparisons. This actually looks like it'll be a entertaining movie.

Discotheque said:

McCain:Leno:Expendables
Obama:CoCo:Scott Pilgrim

The Battle Rages Ever Onward

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
ezekial45 said:
Thanks for this, but is the sound off for anyone else? I'm playing it in KMplayer and the sound off sync.
I've played it on my Windows Media Player, it looks fine on there.
Tried playing it on my VLC player, it does freeze for a mini- mini second at one time. But there's no audio issues. Try it on your PS3 and see how it plays on there.

I've never read the series before. Tried to read it when my friend lent me his first issue but the first chapter really turned me off. The trailer peaks my interest though so maybe I'll give it another shot and see what I think.

I'm going to spoil my theory on what I think can happen. Never read the series before, just think it would be a good ending to the movie / book. Obviously based on just the trailer as that's all I know of Scott Pilgrim.

Would be pretty cool if Cera's character became an evil ex at the end of the movie and a new boyfriend would have to fight him.

Blader5489 said:
Also, I disagree with the Speed Racer comparisons. This actually looks like it'll be a entertaining movie.

:lol Oh Speed Racer hate.

I used to be a Speed Racer hater too but I'm starting to appreciate it more now. Also it helps that I'm liking Emile Hirsch more and more as an actor.

Jibril said:
I've played it on my Windows Media Player, it looks fine on there.
Tried playing it on my VLC player, it does freeze for a mini- mini second at one time. But there's no audio issues. Try it on your PS3 and see how it plays on there.

I never noticed the awesome processing on that punch shot until your avatar.

SO GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom