• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games you remember very fondly but everybody else forgot

Nudull

Banned
Inuyasha_secretofthecursedmask.jpg

I remember this being one of the more fun anime games I've played as a kid, though I'm not sure if it holds up today. Ditto for this:

MegaLeon

Neo Member
I love the hell out of Bujingai, like you said, it's not the best action game ever, but it's got style, great music (Zuntata) and GACKT. Also it was a pretty neat to have a game with a wuxia flair. A sequel was supposedly in the works but never materialized, I wish Platinum would pick this up and work their magic.

Came here to post Bujingai as well. The counter combat system was really fun to play - some of the bosses felt really satisfying to fight.

Fisty

Godammit even in a thread about forgotten/obscure PS2 games, we STILL dont get a mention of this Swery65 classic until page 6

Spy_Fiction_Coverart.png

250px-Residentevildeadaim.jpg

Probably one of my favorite side game/spin offs. Didn't care for the first two "Gun Survivor" games, but this one was really good. I like the third person/first person blend. Manages to still feel like RE.

Fisty

i played the crap out of this game. big fan back in the day.

Grandia Xtreme was a ton of fun. You could just break the battle system to pieces towards endgame, and Mark Hamill completely HAMMING all over the place as the main villain. So bad its good type stuff.

Hedgey

I don't know if people forgot about it, but Shinobi still lives as the hardest game in my heart:
j6FMzDJ.png

The adrenaline when beating that was great, and it's stylish to boot, the scarf is out of this world.

I came here to post this, teenage me was all over the style of this game. It was fantastic, played it recently.

Shinobi for PS2. Haven't played it in forever, so I have no idea if it holds up at all but I definitely loved it at the time. I even hung up a PS2 Shinobi calendar/poster I got from EGM.

MattyH

The original Monster Hunter.

latest

I would play that game until about 4 or 5 in the morning, sleep for a few hours, and then jump back online to start all over again. Unfortunately, I no longer have that amount of free time and haven't kept up with the series as a result. None of my friends who play the newer games have played the original.

I played online from the UK launch right up till the servers closed at the end of 07. Used to get up at 6am play a few hours go to college come home eat play sleep and do the same loved it

antitrop

At a time when a third-person cover shooter could actually be considered "innovative" and "revolutionary". There was nothing else like Kill.Switch when it released in 2003. Then Gears came out in 2006 and everything was exactly like Kill.Switch, except instead of calling them "Kill.Switch clones", they were called "Gears clones". Forgotten, indeed.

86cwfUp.jpg

joeblow

24 was big back then and Jack Bauer interrogation mini-games give me the laugh of my life with all the shouting!
24 was legit! One of the best media-based games I ever played. It almost perfectly captured the feel of the show from beginning to end.

zoodoo

Mortal Kombat Deception. After that disappointing deadly alliance this was amazing. I still remember learning every other move as the aptly named protagonist, shujinko lol.

Wow, the complete opposite for me. Deception was a disappointment with a bunch of forgettable characters and a bugfest story mode. I think deadly alliance was a smaller more stable and fun game

RiZ III

Drakan_-_The_Ancients'_Gates_Coverart.png

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

This is one of my favourite swords and sorcery games ever. It had an amazing soundtrack, really good graphics (with an excellent draw distance in particular), very decent voice acting and excellent albeit fairly simple combat which played to the limitations of a control pad pretty well. It's also probably the only game I've played where on-foot and dragon-based combat is equally fun, and it's full of really fun and sometimes epic boss fights. A great adventure and I'd love it to get a re-release via PS2onPS4.

I came in here to post this. This game blew me away back when I played it.

Fisty

At a time when a third-person cover shooter could actually be considered "innovative" and "revolutionary". There was nothing else like Kill.Switch when it released in 2003. Then Gears came out in 2006 and everything was exactly like Kill.Switch, except instead of calling them "Kill.Switch clones", they were called "Gears clones". Forgotten, indeed.

86cwfUp.jpg

Man, the game designer for this one has got to be one of the most pissed off folks in gaming. Practically created a genre, got cloned, got cloned a million more times, every clone is then called a clone of the first clone.

FvjsiSN.png

Steambot Chronicles

I really wish whoever holds the rights to Agetec's PS2 releases would get them into PS2 on PS4.
One of my favourite PS2 games. Got it for like 10€, played it through a summer.

The game has a lot of flaws, and controls like shit at times (they wanted to simulate the piloting of mechs) but it does so muchs things right.

Also one of the few games where you can be super free of what you do. You can even become the big bad of the game ha ha.

Edit : I even have one shrink wrapped copy to go along my original copy :

Funny how the style of the covert isn't one bit like the original sketches.

grumpy

khMNC43.jpg

Primal
Pretty cool little action adventure / (sorta) DMC - like game from the studio that also made the MediEvil series.

Featuring voice-overs by the likes of Hudson Leick (Callisto from Xena) and Andreas Katsulas (G-Kar from Babylon 5)

"Everyone else forgot". *first two games in OP are two of the most acclaimed and fondly remembered PS2 games ever*

I'm going to go with Gigantic Drive, translated horribly (almost a gag dub) into English as Robot Alchemic Drive. It's a game where you switch between controlling a human character and remote controlling a giant robot, where the shoulder buttons control its legs and the analog sticks control its arms:

radcoverjp.jpg

I really miss Sandlot's mecha simulators, they only seem to make EDF now. :(

Bujingai: The Forsaken City

This was a really cool game that totally flew under the radar. The visuals were great and the combat was amazing, especially when you'd clash swords with an enemy just like in an anime.

Game Clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkXSUt23CZ4

Wow, Bujingai made it to the west? Its main selling point was that its main character is basically (voiced and physically based on) Gackt, a super-popular J-pop-rock singer in Japan.

I have zero doubt that if they hadn't already got a name by then, we'd be calling MMORPGs "WoW clones", to the justified gnashing of teeth of Ultima Online / Everquest fans (and whatever extant fans of even earlier games exist). Same with real time strategy and Warcraft / Starcraft. Hell, it could be called the Blizzard effect. Here are plenty more examples.

Daingurse

Jade Cocoon 2 is one of my favorite PS2 games. Just thought it was a really fun monster raising game. But no one seems to give a shit about Jade Cocoon 2 lol.

1. The original SSX is largely forgotten and I loved that game.
  2. The Bouncer was a linear beat 'em up that I had some fun with.
  3. Ridge Racer V

Magic Pengel. It's an RPG where you draw creatures and their stats and abilities will be different depending on what you draw.

Was just thinking about this during E3, someone announced a title where you could seemingly do this. Can't remember what it was... Skylanders?

Spider Man 2 got mentioned in the OP, so I'll go with this one:

Shinobido_Way_of_the_Ninja.jpg

Shinobido Way of the Ninja

I love Ninja games on the PS2 and this is by far my favourite. The way it focused on stealth and making use of your items. I had a blast with it.

Fucking shit, man! Ugh, I was SO pissed that this never came out in the states! Still pretty mad... Was a huge, huge fan of the first two Way of the Samurai games:

Way_of_the_Samurai_Coverart.png

54212_front.jpg

24 was big back then and Jack Bauer interrogation mini-games give me the laugh of my life with all the shouting!

PS2 had so many weird TV show tie-in games that came and went. I remember there was one for The Shield, and another one for The Sopranos. A lot of old movies that got adapted too... Scarface, The Warriors, and this fuckin' thing:

150326-Great_Escape,_The_(USA)-1.jpg

EXTERMINATION

NC2gC7S.png

Amazing game and better than Resident Evil, imho.

Sony should make a AAA sequel as soon as possible!

It was 'aight. Played the demo/rented this one quite a bit back in the day.

I played this a lot on the N64. Was nice to get the graphical upgrade on PS2, but very strange to get voice acting performed by the dev team.

Godammit even in a thread about forgotten/obscure PS2 games, we STILL dont get a mention of this Swery65 classic until page 6

Spy_Fiction_Coverart.png

Fuckin' shit. I DID forget about this one. I remember playing this demo quite a bit, too, may have even rented it back in the day. Was really just trying to kill time in between MGS2/3, though :p

Taruranto

FvjsiSN.png

Steambot Chronicles

I really wish whoever holds the rights to Agetec's PS2 releases would get them into PS2 on PS4.

A charming game, though it kinda falls apart in the second half, the first half of the game is an absolute blast to play. Weird control scheme that takes a while to get used too.

A shame the sequel faded into nothingness. :(

Alboreo

Freaking LOVED these games.

DWQ2qtr.jpg

I saw the dot hack series mentioned, but I was going to say gungrave myself. Loved those games, even if they weren't the highest quality. They were mindless fun for me and I loved the setting and art.

250px-Orphen_Scion_of_Sorcery.jpg

I remember taking turns with my cousins after each battle because we really liked the combat. I don't know if the game has aged well, but I have some very fond memories of it.

Jeiiya

The first titles that I immediately thought of were Way of the Samurai and Way of the Samurai 2. Also, Bujingai and Shinobido. I also feel like I should mention the Tenchu series because we don't talk about Tenchu enough.

Full weeb list here..

Top Bottom